PDA

View Full Version : Some Thor Questions

VaultMan
04-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I was just thinking about past Thor stories and had a few questions. Think you can help me out...?

I read the last few issues of Thor (Ragnarok), but I dont remember what happened to Odin? He's been gone for a really long time, long before the recent Thor series ended. What gives?

During the Simonson run on Thor, why is the Destroyer seen on a cover of Thor with the cape, hammer, and all the accutrements? And why is Randy bustin' this?

Why was Thor wearing that battle armor years ago? I seem to remember something about his bones being brittle...?

How did the Destroyer come to be a herald of Galactus?

Thanks gang,

-VM

rychehitman
04-21-2007, 07:11 PM
you dont ask for much do ya VM!

you want long versions or short versions.....? Well, even if I give you short versions...WKTF is bound to chime in with the long ones!

VaultMan
04-21-2007, 07:56 PM
you dont ask for much do ya VM!

Yeah, I guess it is quite a bit. :)

Gangleri
04-21-2007, 08:03 PM

-VM

Thor offered the Destroyer to Galactus to free the herald @ the time Firelord.
Believe Galactus used the Destroyer( a small portion of Big G animated the Destroyer) as a herald til Loki stole him back.

wktf
04-21-2007, 08:19 PM
I was just thinking about past Thor stories and had a few questions. Think you can help me out...?

I read the last few issues of Thor (Ragnarok), but I dont remember what happened to Odin? He's been gone for a really long time, long before the recent Thor series ended. What gives?

During the Simonson run on Thor, why is the Destroyer seen on a cover of Thor with the cape, hammer, and all the accutrements? And why is Randy bustin' this?

Why was Thor wearing that battle armor years ago? I seem to remember something about his bones being brittle...?

Thanks gang,

-VM

Well, Ryche, I'll keep it as short as possible:

1) Odin was killed prior to the Ragnarok storyline in a battle with Surtur.

2) The Destroyer was seen in Thor raiments and holding Mjolnir because it was Thor's spirit in the armor after Thor was reduced to gelatinous slag in a battle with the World Serpent.

3) Thor wore battle armor years ago, also in the Simonson run, because Hela put a curse on him that made his bones brittle. So the armor is an exoskeleton of sorts.

4) I don't know how the Destroyer became the herald of Galactus. Never read those stories so I'm inclined to believe the explanation already offered unless someone else chimes in with some other information.

Those answers short enough? Or if those are long what're the shorter versions?

rychehitman
04-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Very Well Done!

and points for the term "gelatinous slag":thumbs2: :)

Speaking of the Armor...

I find myself liking the second version of the armor more and more!

Tetragrammaton
04-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Did Tony Stark have any involvement in the creation of Thor's batle armor?

rychehitman
04-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Did Tony Stark have any involvement in the creation of Thor's batle armor?

no sir!

Tetragrammaton
04-21-2007, 09:10 PM
no sir!

Are you sure?:cool:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2cpor9d.jpg

rychehitman
04-21-2007, 09:13 PM
1000% sure.... No way, no how! Never happened! Ever! No, No, No!

( I await your picture:) )

Tetragrammaton
04-21-2007, 09:24 PM
1000% sure.... No way, no how! Never happened! Ever! No, No, No!

( I await your picture:) )

...predictable, aren't I.

http://i19.tinypic.com/4cj3bq1.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/483thma.jpg

Tetragrammaton
04-21-2007, 09:27 PM
-VM

http://i13.tinypic.com/33e2bfn.jpg

Did Randy really confirm this?

rychehitman
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I believe he did actually!

VaultMan
04-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Perhaps its posted somewhere in the BD thread...but Im 85% sure he mentioned this was going to be done.

VaultMan
04-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Kind of/sort of but technically no, picture notwithstanding. That left arm exo-brace came about because of Blockbuster having broken Thor's arm when Thor was in the sewers rescuing The Angel. It's not a true part of the Battle Armor. After Thor was healed upon Hela removing her curse, in subsequent issues that depict the battle armor, that brace piece is no longer present.

Is Simonson's run collected in a TPB?

rychehitman
04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
In three books total!

All of them WELL worth the price VM!

VaultMan
04-22-2007, 12:45 AM
NICE!

Is it an Essential, or is it specifically a Simonson/Thor TPB? I guess I can always just go Amazon and search all Thor...

Tetragrammaton
04-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Kind of/sort of but technically no, picture notwithstanding. That left arm exo-brace came about because of Blockbuster having broken Thor's arm when Thor was in the sewers rescuing The Angel. It's not a true part of the Battle Armor. After Thor was healed upon Hela removing her curse, in subsequent issues that depict the battle armor, that brace piece is no longer present.

Seems the brace disappears only for the final fight against the Celestials, when Thor adds his Belt of Strength and Uru Guantlets to the look.

http://i19.tinypic.com/2lxbb4g.jpg

BTW I never really noticed before but the Bowen MB depicts BAT with the brace.

http://i18.tinypic.com/2h7hs8m.jpg

Wolverine1
04-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Belt of strength equals back brace?

Tetragrammaton
04-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Megingjord

In Norse mythology, Megingjörð (Megingjord), was a belt which gave the wearer strength. It was the Megingjörð that gave Thor the strength to lift Mjölnir.

rychehitman
04-22-2007, 02:54 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/RagiFoesmasher/making%20thor/90thor1.jpg

Tetragrammaton
04-22-2007, 02:59 AM
Ryche, that pic is inaccurate (and distrubing)...no brace.:)

wktf
04-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Ryche is right, they're all great.

Volume 4 gets released this August. It reprints 8 issues - four from Thor, and the 4-issue Balder the Brave series.

One more volume should finish Simonson's run. I hope that gets offered soon so that a Simonson Thor Omnibus gets produced in 2008!

Excellent news about volume 4! :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
04-22-2007, 11:57 AM
You said it, and it's about time!

Indeed! I wondered what the hold-up was. And it includes the Balder story, eh?:thumbs2:

VaultMan
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/RagiFoesmasher/making%20thor/90thor1.jpg

The funniest part of this pic is not the GORIAN in the Asgardian hookup, its the Galactus figure peeking out from behind the stereo! Classic. :laugh:

Nice hammer by the way...and why does that sound wrong when I say that...? :laugh

rychehitman
04-22-2007, 02:12 PM
uhm...as mentioned in the other times I posted that pic...I assure you it is NOT me!

Good news about volume IV! I had not heard that!!!

VaultMan
04-22-2007, 06:41 PM
uhm...as mentioned in the other times I posted that pic...I assure you it is NOT me!

Its ok Ryche, we all get it. Heroes can never reveal their "identity" (wink wink).

We wont tell anyone...promise.:thumbs2:

wktf
04-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Thor offered the Destroyer to Galactus to free the herald @ the time Firelord.
Believe Galactus used the Destroyer( a small portion of Big G animated the Destroyer) as a herald til Loki stole him back.

Yep! I got this...

Galactus transformed the Xandarian Gabriel Lan into his new herald, the Air-Walker. The Air-Walker was killed in a clash with the alien Ovoids, and for a time Galactus used a robotic simulacrum of the Air-Walker as a herald. Next he transformed a friend of Lan's, Pyreus Krul of Xandar, into Firelord, who served Galactus until the thunder god Thor traded the powerful Asgardian construct called the Destroyer to Galactus in exchange for Firelord's freedom. However, Thor's enemy Loki later stole the Destroyer back from Galactus.

...from the Marvel Directory site, here:

http://marveldirectory.com/groupsandteams/galactussheralds.htm

wktf
04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
You said it, and it's about time!

Verily, my oath brother! Marvel, what say ye on said delay, eh? :peoples:

VaultMan
04-22-2007, 08:56 PM
You've got to love the fact that Loki stole The Destroyer from Galactus!

I would love to read THAT story!

Wolverine1
04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep! I got this...

Galactus transformed the Xandarian Gabriel Lan into his new herald, the Air-Walker. The Air-Walker was killed in a clash with the alien Ovoids, and for a time Galactus used a robotic simulacrum of the Air-Walker as a herald. Next he transformed a friend of Lan's, Pyreus Krul of Xandar, into Firelord, who served Galactus until the thunder god Thor traded the powerful Asgardian construct called the Destroyer to Galactus in exchange for Firelord's freedom. However, Thor's enemy Loki later stole the Destroyer back from Galactus.

...from the Marvel Directory site, here:

http://marveldirectory.com/groupsandteams/galactussheralds.htm
So, Thor just strolls up to Big G and trades Destoyer for Firelord or what? How the deal go down, details!

rychehitman
04-22-2007, 09:20 PM
One to go, Joe, and The Saga is complete! And then let's see one massive tome collecting the whole Simonson epic!

HARDCOVER!
:buttrock:

wktf
04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
One to go, Joe, and The Saga is complete! And then let's see one massive tome collecting the whole Simonson epic!

That plus a HC Omnibus of the fabled Lee/Kirby Tales of Asgard, eh Dana? :buttrock:

Wolverine1
04-22-2007, 09:58 PM
So, Thor just strolls up to Big G and trades Destoyer for Firelord or what? How the deal go down, details!
Answers people!

VaultMan
04-22-2007, 11:02 PM
That plus a HC Omnibus of the fabled Lee/Kirby Tales of Asgard, eh Dana? :buttrock:

C'mon, that would just be too much to hope for...

Tetragrammaton
04-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Answers people!

Thor and Hercules survive a battle against the Destroyer armor, when Firelord appears on Earth searching for Thor. Galactus needs Thor as he's having problems with Ego, the Living Planet and Thor was one of the few beings to have defeated Ego in the past. After Firelord, Hercules and Thor take care of the problem with Ego, Firelord asks Galactus to be freed from his duties as herald, to which, Galactus agrees as long as he can find his own replacement. Thor provides the Destroyer armor to the Big G, freeing Firelord, and screwing up Odin's future plans for the armor. Loki later steals back the Destroyer from Galactus, leading to Tyros becoming the herald Terrax.

http://i17.tinypic.com/2re4gtu.jpg

Wolverine1
04-23-2007, 01:39 AM
Thor and Hercules survive a battle against the Destroyer armor, when Firelord appears on Earth searching for Thor. Galactus needs Thor as he's having problems with Ego, the Living Planet and Thor was one of the few beings to have defeated Ego in the past. After Firelord, Hercules and Thor take care of the problem with Ego, Firelord asks Galactus to be freed from his duties as herald, to which, Galactus agrees as long as he can find his own replacement. Thor provides the Destroyer armor to the Big G, freeing Firelord, and screwing up Odin's future plans for the armor. Loki later steals back the Destroyer from Galactus, leading to Tyros becoming the herald Terrax.

Now I need more stories with Thor and Galactus!

wktf
04-23-2007, 10:06 AM
C'mon, that would just be too much to hope for...

It's actually on the table for consideration, according to the survey a few weeks back on the Masterworks forum. But, still, it may be too much to hope for, as you suggest.

wktf
04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Tet, from what issue is this story with Galactus and the Destroyer?

Crom
04-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Dude, Firelord's an a$$.

wktf
04-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Dude, Firelord's an a$$.

Never liked the character and was thrilled when Spider-Man beat the crap out of him back in the day. :thumbs2:

Crom
04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Never liked the character and was thrilled when Spider-Man beat the crap out of him back in the day. :thumbs2:

I always thought he was cool looking, but yeah, it's nice to see him get smacked down.

It is kind of cool to have Silver Surfer back as Galactus' herald.

wktf
04-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Would the Simonson run be one Omnibus or two, Dana?

...and is the plural of Omnibus "Omnibuses" or is it "Omnibi"? :)

Tetragrammaton
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Tet, from what issue is this story with Galactus and the Destroyer?

The posted page is from issue 228 of vol I, but the story can be said to begin with the arrival of Hercules in issue 221.

JDH
04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Dana, once you own the Simonson Thors in your bound volume of the originals, an Omnibus and on CD-Rom, what way would you want them next? A Thor Classic reprint series with Art Adams covers? Microfiche? I guess only reading 50 comics in your whole lifetime is easier if you can go on reading them over and again in different formats...:)

heirtoasguard
04-23-2007, 02:19 PM
wktf, this story with Galactus/Destroyer was the first appearance of Firlord.
Ego went mad and Galactus knew he needed help, so he searched for Thor. Herc was with Thor. so Herc, Thor and Firelord went to fight Ego while Galactus made that proplusion thrusters. after this whole affair, Firelord asked for his freedom and G told him "find me someone else and I'll do it."
Thor gave him the Destroyer and informed him that all the Destroyer needed was some cosmic energy. THIS happened in Thor #228, the release of Firelord. as a herald of Galactus, Destroyer fought the Thing somewhere in the 270's of the FF. Loki took Destroyer back in the 260's of Thor.

VaultMan
04-23-2007, 02:22 PM

I think its "omnibeezes." :laugh:

Makkari1
04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
wktf, this story with Galactus/Destroyer was the first appearance of Firlord.
Ego went mad and Galactus knew he needed help, so he searched for Thor. Herc was with Thor. so Herc, Thor and Firelord went to fight Ego while Galactus made that proplusion thrusters. after this whole affair, Firelord asked for his freedom and G told him "find me someone else and I'll do it."
Thor gave him the Destroyer and informed him that all the Destroyer needed was some cosmic energy. THIS happened in Thor #228, the release of Firelord. as a herald of Galactus, Destroyer fought the Thing somewhere in the 270's of the FF. Loki took Destroyer back in the 260's of Thor.

I have the series and this is pretty much what happened except that Galactus didn't put any cosmic power in the Destroyer but rather a portion of his own life force.

JDH
04-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Would the Simonson run be one Omnibus or two, Dana?

I say omnibuses, as omnibus was already a plural in Latin, so there was no 'omnibi'.

heirtoasguard
04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
no, I know that. but I didn't know if the cosmic lifeforce was correct so I said that assuming that people would know what I meant.

Tetragrammaton
04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
How's this for a possible explanation, the Power Cosmic is Galactus' life force?

heirtoasguard
04-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Tet, all Galactus did was give it "life". so everytime when Galactus gets a new herald and empowers this person, does Galactus get weaker from this?
gotta remember this is Galactus. and G said "A simple burst of the Power Cosmic and he lives, my mindless slave."

VaultMan
04-23-2007, 05:58 PM
so everytime when Galactus gets a new herald and empowers this person, does Galactus get weaker from this?

I gotta think that Galactus loses no power from this (as long as he's getting his three square meals of planets). Its like scooping some water out of a flowing river. There's more where that came from.

heirtoasguard
04-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't think that G needs 3 squares of planets but I see what you are saying. I wasn't asking that question for myself, I was just asking this in a silly way to try and prove a point.

VaultMan
04-23-2007, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't think that G needs 3 squares of planets but I see what you are saying. I wasn't asking that question for myself, I was just asking this in a silly way to try and prove a point.

Ooops...sorry...:confused2

heirtoasguard
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM
no problem.

heirtoasguard
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
just a little correction. Destroyer fought the Thing in the 170's not the 270's of the F.F.