PDA

View Full Version : using 360 & PS3 a main dvd player

sincity
05-01-2007, 10:41 PM
i heard somewhere that using the 360 and/or a PS3 as a dvd player is hard on the console.
since the dvd has to spin during the entire movie unlike during game play where it only has to keep up with game play and the spinning is minimal.
i want to get a PS3 for the blu-ray as much as for the games but if it going to be a problem i'll buy a blu-ray player instead.

so did i hear wrong??

thanks for any info!!!!

Zurbaran1
05-01-2007, 11:33 PM
First of all the 360 DVD player is an add-on and is solely for the purposes of playing HD-DVDs so it's not likely to be hard on the console as they are separate units. One of the major, key selling points of the PS3 is that it is a very good Blu-ray player. It was designed with that as a major component and selling point. If it can't handle regularly playing DVDs then Sony really screwed the pooch. I would say don't believe everything you hear. I have a PS3 and considering the dearth of games available, I use it almost exclusively for DVDs and I haven't had a single problem. I was worried about all the horror stories I heard about overheating and so far it's barely even gotten warm on me.

Wayne Industries
05-01-2007, 11:43 PM
First of all the 360 DVD player is an add-on and is solely for the purposes of playing HD-DVDs so it's not likely to be hard on the console as they are separate units. One of the major, key selling points of the PS3 is that it is a very good Blu-ray player. It was designed with that as a major component and selling point. If it can't handle regularly playing DVDs then Sony really screwed the pooch. I would say don't believe everything you hear. I have a PS3 and considering the dearth of games available, I use it almost exclusively for DVDs and I haven't had a single problem. I was worried about all the horror stories I heard about overheating and so far it's barely even gotten warm on me.

Ahh..thx Zurb..was wondering this myself before I took the plunge.

CocoPUFF
05-02-2007, 12:36 AM
nah, I play movies on my 360 all the time, and it still works great! If it doesn't have the capability, they wouldn't advertise it as such....my PS2 played DVD's all tht time with no problems either!

lord odin
05-02-2007, 12:41 AM
I never play movies on any game system that`s what cheap dvd players are for.
My xbox still works like new and my friends who uses his for watching movies all the time sometimes skips.

El Diablo
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
First of all the 360 DVD player is an add-on and is solely for the purposes of playing HD-DVDs so it's not likely to be hard on the console as they are separate units. .

You don`t need the hd-dvd add-on to play standard dvd`s on the 360 as the console by itself will do that :thumbs2:

As for the original question, if anything playing games would be harder on the drive as it is constantly stopping and starting, and also regularly spinning up to it`s maximum speed. Whereas playing a dvd it just plays at one constant relatively slow speed.

batman1180
05-02-2007, 12:17 PM
From my experience, it seems like the people that I know who use their systems for their main DVD playback always have problems with their systems. While my launch systems have always lasted me no problems.

lord odin
05-02-2007, 12:29 PM
From my experience, it seems like the people that I know who use their systems for their main DVD playback always have problems with their systems. While my launch systems have always lasted me no problems.

Same here.:thumbs2:

sincity
05-02-2007, 11:14 PM
thanks for the info guys i think i'll get the PS3 and pick up some blu ray discs

Zurbaran1
05-03-2007, 09:48 AM
You don`t need the hd-dvd add-on to play standard dvd`s on the 360 as the console by itself will do that :thumbs2:

Good point. I was only thinking about the HD DVDs.

Bullseye
05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Its silly that the X-Box did not have the dedicated player built in. I know not all people will use it as a dedicated player but if the regular player can play DVD's then why not upgrade the entire system to HD-DVD.