PDA

View Full Version : What's the appropriate discount for a "restored" book?

galactus
05-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm in the middle of grading/pricing all of my Silver Age books and two of them have very slight color touches to their spines. Perhaps 5-10 little dots on each one (I can see the ink bleed on the interior of the covers).

How much should the value be decreased based on something like this?

ANGRYCOMICMAN
05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
No value. So you will give them to me for free. :)
Now send them to me, now.

hawkeyethearcher
05-04-2007, 04:21 AM
i know that overstreet has a section based on this question but i currently dont have a copy. if you hit your local book store though you can get your answer. unless someone could post a copy of it here.

Underdog07
05-04-2007, 04:52 PM
There is no easy answer to this question.

You could do the NY Rule: Several dealers at NY shows have informed me that restoration actually increases the value of a book, but only if they are the ones selling it.

Or the real World rule: It depends on the extent of restoration and the book that is restored. Significant keys show less of a discount, especially rarer keys, while run of the mill books can be drastically discounted (ie Cptain America Comics #1 is likely 25% off while Avengers 8 would be 40% or more off).

From my experience, when buying a book off of ebay, a restored book can typically be purchased for 50% or more off of what a non-restored version goes for (again though key books get hit less).

I can not find any comments about restoration in last year's Overstreet.

JadeGiant
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree with UD ... it is not consistent at all. I buy from John Haines a lot and trust his grading judgement explicitly as he is an Overstreet advisor and his stuff always grades out better than I would think ... if it were me I would go to him ...