PDA

View Full Version : Other comics forums...

Tetragrammaton
05-06-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't know what it is, but most other comic forums seem to be largely populated by whiners and complainers, who seem to have little more to offer than starting flame wars with one another. I tried reading through some threads on Comic Resource Forum, but it was a waste of time.

I wonder if part of the reason things are so much better here are because, for the most part, people are a little bit older?

Tony Coca
05-06-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't know what it is, but most other comic forums seem to be largely populated by whiners and complainers, who seem to have little more to offer than starting flame wars with one another. I tried reading through some threads on Comic Resource Forum, but it was a waste of time.

I wonder if part of the reason things are so much better here are because, for the most part, people are a little bit older?

Sounds alot like some people here on Statue Forum.

Tetragrammaton
05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Not so much in the comics section. :)

chromesamurai
05-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Indeed, there's plenty of whiners and complainers here. I think most of them may be in their respective statue sections and steer clear of the comics section for the most part.

Tony Coca
05-06-2007, 01:18 PM

But all in all,we still have alot of whinners and cry babies here.

lord odin
05-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I hate all you whining b!tches.

Underdog07
05-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Yes. that is a large reason.

Psylocke
05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes. that is a large reason.

My mother told me old men tend to complain more LOL

Cage
05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
We also have a pretty strong base of self regulators to go with the mods who I think do a good job of checking flamers.

Wolverine1
05-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Because sooner or later, we respect people on the board....

VaultMan
05-06-2007, 06:23 PM

For the most part, but still there is something different about the way people conduct themselves in other threads. There just isnt that type of "passion" to get, get, get in the comics thread.

Its just more peaceful, as the whole objective here is to discuss and have fun...not to acquire and collect per se.

Sniper
05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I hate all you whining b!tches.

indeed!!!!!!!!!!:buttrock:

ANGRYCOMICMAN
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM

You are so right. RESPECT!
There are many people here from many back-grounds. And even though, from time to time, things might get over the top, we all really know how to handle it.
Plus the MATURITY in this board is on a higher level. Maybe because a lot of us are artists or deal with art everyday.
We appreciate the others views.
Rant over.

Psylocke
05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I think everyone is pretty calm n cool here.

except when the MB VS FS wars break out :P

hawkeyethearcher
05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
well most people who read comics and will go to the forums are very timid. they wont socialize in public and comics are there world. they get messed with a lot and the internet where they cant be seen or hurt is the only place they feel free to express themselves.

so someone comes into there world and says something that is incorrect or someone makes fun of them. now they can feel free to take out all there anger on someone else.

the people that i dont understand and try to avoid are trekkies. now those are scary people. i hit a convention every once in a while and just cant believe that that many people are so disconected to reality.

Psylocke
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Trekkies are a strange breed indeed lol,they scare me too

Buffy fans are usual hot

Dr Who fans are Hot/Intelligent/older

Starwars are usually 30's upwards with familys

hawkeyethearcher
05-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Buffy fans are usual hot

well i am glad i am in this catagory. i loved that show and i now get the comic.

Wolverine1
05-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Trekkies and lurkers, dont trust them....

rilynil
05-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Buffy fans are usual hot
Yay!

JLM
05-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Dr Who fans are Hot/Intelligent/older

Thanks (for the first two anyway :confused2 )

JLM
05-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Plus the MATURITY in this board is on a higher level. Maybe because a lot of us are artists or deal with art everyday.

I think that's the key. Statues are an expensive hobby that require (a) money to buy them and (b) space to store them. That means being in a job, and the responsibility that entails.

Comics are cheaper and therefore more accessible to a younger audience more likely to fly off the handle at something or someone they don't like. Throw in a bit of social awkwardness, and that's a recipie for a bunch of flamewars.

Bit of a generalisation I know, but merely my conclusion after a bit of looking around on other boards.

Leon
05-07-2007, 04:44 AM

I've said this a couple of months ago. The comic section is the most relaxed place on this forum. No whining no b!tching, people who talk about comics here are real fans and enjoy the discussions.
And most are probably old enough to respect one another.

rychehitman
05-07-2007, 07:21 AM
I think it helps greatly that this is a STATUE forum, and not a COMIC forum. The comic section thrives here because the members of the SF that have a love for comics have developed this section into what it is. Very different animal than a COMIC forum that happens to have a Statue section. If this site were pushed as a comic forum, we would likely see an influx of younger, and oftentimes opinionated, posters.

snappahead
05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
What's ironic is that your'e all complaining RIGHT NOW. Whether any of us realize it or not, we all piss and moan. It's inevitable. It's in the DNA of a comicfan. Don't fight it..just go limp and let it happen.

Leon
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
What's ironic is that your'e all complaining RIGHT NOW. Whether any of us realize it or not, we all piss and moan. It's inevitable. It's in the DNA of a comicfan. Don't fight it..just go limp and let it happen.

Yeah, you're right. Joe Q SUCKS!!
*sigh* that felt good :D

Gangleri
05-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, you're right. Joe Q SUCKS!!
*sigh* that felt good :D

Funny you should mention him...was watching a program on the History Channel yesterday that dealt with Comics and the changes in the business over the years. Joe Q said that it was Marvel's publishing of the Spider-man (dealing with) Drug issues (first books published without comics code) that introduced him to comics. Wonder what Marvel comics would be like today if Stan Lee and the publisher had followed the codes edict and scrapped those books?? We would not have had series like Green Lantern/Green Arrow and Nick Fury Agent of Shield that followed ... we might still have comics that featured "Pow" and "Zap" as major plot points....but then again Captain America/Steve Rogers might be "alive" too.

Wonder how many kids House of M and Cap's death will bring to the hobby?? Oh, and when they talked about how speculators and variant covers almost killed the business in the 90's .... thank god TPTB are smarter now.:banghead:

RD13
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Are these the same variant covers that are now 1:100, 1:25, 1:10 that come out every other week ?

bat_collector
05-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Trekkies and lurkers, dont trust them....

ditto

MiamiLoco
05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Yeah but at least in other forums we don't have this dude:

http://i12.tinypic.com/62ei9gx.jpg

hawkeyethearcher
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
course some arguments on those sites make sense. i was on one once and they were talking about hawkeye. is he grape purple is he blue or black. i had to unleash the fires of hell from my rear on the person that said this. he is purple and blue. he is a man he doesnt wear fruit. god if i ever see that person i will beat him tell he has to go to the hospital. of course that is just a logical course of action in this case.

Gangleri
05-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Are these the same variant covers that are now 1:100, 1:25, 1:10 that come out every other week ?

Yea .... learned a lesson from the 90's, even if the industry didn't. This time around I'll only get a variant if the new cover is Fantastic/Different and I won't buy multiple copies/different covers of the same story (the only exception to that rule is JSA covers)....really like some of the alternate stuff they do for example, Red Sonja...but the $$$ cost is crazy. Most of the covers can be found as if you look around the web...and some companies have magazines of cover art which is great. But it ticks me off is when the cover is great and the art/story inside doesn't measure up.