PDA

View Full Version : Young Avengers, First 8 Pages

wktf
01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Have to admit, I was pretty skeptical about this title when I first heard about it but, after reading these pages, especially the dialogue between Jonah, Jessica Jones, and Cat, I thought it was pretty snappy. Iron Man and Captain America's entrance is handled for maximum humorous and dramatic effect, too.

Looks like I'll be picking this up on a trial basis. Hey, you never know. I did the same thing with Alias and Gotham Central and got far more than what I bargained for!

Take a look.

http://www.marvel.com/company/showarticle.htm?id=56

Crom
01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Have to admit, I was pretty skeptical about this title when I first heard about it but, after reading these pages, especially the dialogue between Jonah, Jessica Jones, and Cat, I thought it was pretty snappy. Iron Man and Captain America's entrance is handled for maximum humorous and dramatic effect, too.

Looks like I'll be picking this up on a trial basis. Hey, you never know. I did the same thing with Alias and Gotham Central and got far more than what I bargained for!

Take a look.

http://www.marvel.com/company/showarticle.htm?id=56

I love Jim Cheung's art. Enough to buy the series right there. I like how they are immediately immersing this into the Marvel universe, using the Daily Bugle.

By the way, who's Bucky? (Awesome :D )

wktf
01-19-2005, 02:58 PM
By the way, who's Bucky? (Awesome :D )

I agree about setting this squarely in the Marvel Universe. That was a really smart decision.

I'm also really like the treatment of Bucky and I'm glad you referenced it, Crom. I was one of the few on the old Bowen Forum who stood up for Bucky during the slew of Bucky-bashing. Turns out many BowenKnights only knew Bucky from the bust. They didn't know that he died (was murdered by Zemo) for his country...that he'd been captured by Nazis, held at a POW camp with other US GIs and, single-handedly, organized a revolt against the guards in the face of a firing squad...or the many and myriad heroic acts he committed during those terrible days of WWII.

As a kid, growing up in the 60s and reading those great Stan/Jack Cap WWII stories in Tales of Suspense, I thought Bucky was unbelievably heroic and cool. In these "Young Avengers" pages, Johah's saying that as a kid he wanted to be Bucky was a great, great touch.

mwf6171
01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Ya know, when I was a kid, I wanted to be Bucky too. I am looking forward to this title. I am planning on picking up the first story line and see what it has to offer....

Does anyone have an opinion on the Aranya, think I spelled it right, series that is coming out. Anyone have any info on the character or concept??

Thanks,

mike

hungrydaddy
01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I had not seen this preview, but I like it a lot, it was funny and the art is good. I may have to give it a try.

And the fact that the copy is Bucky and not cap is even funnier.