PDA

View Full Version : Explaining edition size concerns

rilynil
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I've been collecting statues for only a year now, but there's something I've got to admit that I don't have a firm grasp on.

I understand that people like owning things that are rather rare and unique. But I don't understand the big concern over edition sizes. Everything I've bought, I've bought because I liked it. Some things I've bought had an edition size of only 350, some have had edition sizes of more than 5,000. I don't think edition size has a huge effect on how well I like something.

For instance, if I wanted the Star Wars Biker Scout PF figure, I would buy it. It wouldn't matter to me if it had an edition size of 500 or of 5,000. But I'm not buying it, so it wouldn't matter to me if the edition size was 50. Likewise, I would have bought the Doctor Doom PF figure -- my favorite piece of my collection -- even if the edition size was 5,000.

Can someone explain their views on the subject? Is this concern over edition sizes purely a flipping thing, or what?

JDH
06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
My view is that the hobby needs more people like you, and fewer folks who collect numbers with a free statue attached.

Barbarian
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
There are pieces I keep because I like them, and there are pieces I keep becaue they will be worth money. It goes both ways, and if you deny the fact that it is wise to hold onto a rare piece because it will some day assist you monetarily, then...(omitted for insulting foolishness).

warhead
06-11-2007, 02:53 PM
the numbers is about supply and demand, if only 500 were made and a thousand people looking to get one, then you can see how the numbers come into play, I buy first for the love of the sculpt or statue.

rilynil
06-11-2007, 02:55 PM
There are pieces I keep because I like them, and there are pieces I keep becaue they will be worth money. It goes both ways, and if you deny the fact that it is wise to hold onto a rare piece because it will some day assist you monetarily, then...(omitted for insulting foolishness).
But wouldn't the stock market be a better place for making money than the statue market? That seems so much more (omitted for insulting foolishness ;))

Barbarian
06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
But wouldn't the stock market be a better place for making money than the statue market? That seems so much more (omitted for insulting foolishness ;))

That would not be nearly as fun, rily! :)

TK-421
06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I think that some of the arguement or issue is possibly price when it comes to edition size. The Biker Scout for instance costs around $800 with an edition size of TBD. Now normally with a higher cost I associate with a lower run, driving up the cost to make the product and rarity of said product. Let's say the edition size turns out to be 1500 or 2000, in my opinion, I think that $800 is a little high for the Biker Scout (i guess you have to throw in the size of the peice to, I know from the one shot I saw it looks pretty large).

Other than that, aside from maybe getting #1 or the last in the edition, numbers do not really mean a thing.

rilynil
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
the numbers is about supply and demand, if only 500 were made and a thousand people looking to get one, then you can see how the numbers come into play.
I understand that. But the Star Wars thread is based on the idea that the MORE of the PF figures Sideshow makes, the FEWER people want them. So it seems like the only people worried about that are the ones looking to turn a profit, correct?

DetroitSportsFan
06-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I believe the main concern is items at least holding their value.

Look around on eBay at other SS items (non exclusives). Almost all of them is selling for under retail price, some way under.

As for the PF Speeder Bike, most who ordered this would like to see a smaller edition size so it at least holds its value.

I mean, how would you feel is you bought one for $800, and a few months after its release they're selling on eBay for $600? Wouldn't you feel like you wasted $200?

rilynil
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
That would not be nearly as fun, rily! :)
:thumbs2: No argument there!

rilynil
06-11-2007, 03:04 PM
I think that some of the arguement or issue is possibly price when it comes to edition size. The Biker Scout for instance costs around $800 with an edition size of TBD. Now normally with a higher cost I associate with a lower run, driving up the cost to make the product and rarity of said product. Let's say the edition size turns out to be 1500 or 2000, in my opinion, I think that $800 is a little high for the Biker Scout (i guess you have to throw in the size of the peice to, I know from the one shot I saw it looks pretty large).

Look around on eBay at other SS items (non exclusives). Almost all of them is selling for under retail price, some way under.

As for the PF Speeder Bike, most who ordered this would like to see a smaller edition size so it at least holds its value.

I mean, how would you feel is you bought one for $800, and a few months after its release they're selling on eBay for $600? Wouldn't you feel like you wasted $200?

I see your points. Thanks! :thumbs2: I wouldn't have paid $800 for the Doom PF straight from Sideshow, more than likely. BUT, I did pay $575 for the Doom PF exclusive off eBay well after it came out simply because I wanted one so badly. And yep, I'm happy it's going for about $1,500 now. Still, I never plan to sell it because it's my favorite piece of my collection. :)

Barbarian
06-11-2007, 03:07 PM

I'd feel even worse than that time I bought a horribly flawed version of the Magneto comiquette and the "great" SS customer service took so long to respond to my inquiry that I was stuck with it, and paid full price for this piece that goes for half MSRP on the bay. :banghead:

rilynil
06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd feel even worse than that time I bought a horribly flawed version of the Magneto comiquette and the "great" SS customer service took so long to respond to my inquiry that I was stuck with it, and paid full price for this piece that goes for half MSRP on the bay. :banghead:
Yikes! :(

toe
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I buy what i like and sell the ones I don't, regardless if I make profit or not later on. I'm more concern of space issues than value.

Vracula
06-11-2007, 03:20 PM
as a collector its always fun having something that is rare.especially if it costs you 800$ man

lord odin
06-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I buy because I like the piece now if something has a big edition size I know I can get it alot cheaper than buying direct but if it`s a low number I know I have to order right away.

taizo99
06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
i think alot of folk want something special in there collection , now i wont buy anything with a run of more than 1500 , i bought a dc direct "v for vendetta" mask simply because it has a run of 500 & my lcs offered me it for £140, its the only v piece i have

MONSTER
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
My personal concern is paying $800.00 for something that I could have picked up for $500.00 on ebay. I'm concerned about flushing money down the toilet.

Barbarian
06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
My personal concern is paying $800.00 for something that I could have picked up for $500.00 on ebay. I'm concerned about flushing money down the toilet.

A strong ditto on that.

elwood49
06-11-2007, 03:45 PM

This is the main reason for me, and it REALLY bothers me to see a piece selling for hundreds less than I paid for it.

If the Biker Scout is 1,000+ ES, then you can cancel and save $200 or so on Ebay. That's the reason for MONSTER's thread.

rilynil
06-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys! It makes a lot more sense to me now.

MONSTER
06-11-2007, 03:59 PM
This is the main reason for me, and it REALLY bothers me to see a piece selling for hundreds less than I paid for it.

If the Biker Scout is 1,000+ ES, then you can cancel and save $200 or so on Ebay. That's the reason for MONSTER's thread.

Exactly. I just wanted to bring our concerns about the edition size to Sideshow's attention. If they make too many alot of people are going to find other avenues to purchase it.

Force of Nature
06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Rilynil,

I could not have said it better myself. I go as far to say that the edition size does not interest me one bit.
I buy what I like, not what is rare and can be become valuable in the future. In other words: I buy with my heart and not with my wallet.
An ugly statue with an edition size of 10 is still an ugly statue whereas a great statue with an edition size of 100,000 pieces is still a great statue. You may guess three times which statue I would buy....

I don't criticize people who buy a piece because they feel it's rare and can become very valuable in the future. If they are into this hobby because they see it as a fine investment then who am I to judge them?

All I am saying is that my motives are completey different from theirs. If I think a statue is beautiful and I can pay for it, then I buy it. I buy statues because I think they are beautiful not because I want to invest my money or because I hope to get a nice profit out of them in the future. I don't buy statues to sell them again in the future. I buy them because I want to keep them. It's just a different PoV I guess.

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!

I've been collecting statues for only a year now, but there's something I've got to admit that I don't have a firm grasp on.

I understand that people like owning things that are rather rare and unique. But I don't understand the big concern over edition sizes. Everything I've bought, I've bought because I liked it. Some things I've bought had an edition size of only 350, some have had edition sizes of more than 5,000. I don't think edition size has a huge effect on how well I like something.

For instance, if I wanted the Star Wars Biker Scout PF figure, I would buy it. It wouldn't matter to me if it had an edition size of 500 or of 5,000. But I'm not buying it, so it wouldn't matter to me if the edition size was 50. Likewise, I would have bought the Doctor Doom PF figure -- my favorite piece of my collection -- even if the edition size was 5,000.

Can someone explain their views on the subject? Is this concern over edition sizes purely a flipping thing, or what?

Bloodrayne
06-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I only look at the edition size if I think the price is too steep.
If it turns out there will be only 300 made of something I like, then I may consider to pay the price. But if there will be 10.000 or more floating around, I will take my chances with Ebay thank you very much.

Natrix
06-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Also (talking strictly about the Speeder Bike/Scout PF) Sideshow sold it as an extremely limited edition item but has yet to name the edition size while calling it a sell out. I think a lot of people are rightfully concerned that the edition size will inflate based on the amount of orders placed for it instead of announcing the edition size when it was up for order.

Trilogy
06-11-2007, 06:23 PM
I buy what I like, if the piece has a small edition size its a nice bonus. Having something that only a handful of others have is always nice and does make that piece that little more special.

Having a large ES would never stop me from adding a piece to my collection. The real concern with large ES for many is market saturation. As mentioned by others, you don`t wont to buy something with a large ES only to find that within a couple of months it has largely depreciated due to the company producing far to many and over saturating the market.

Bullseye
06-11-2007, 06:43 PM
The real concern about ES size is a simple one. "Am i paying over the odds?". Its quite simple really. If the ES size on the BS is too much then the $800 is overpriced already as it can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Now that is not really a problem for people living in the USA as shipping is cheap, you do not pay import taxes and you are not waiting months for your collectable to arrive. When you live outside the USA, for example in Europe you really have to buy from SS as 1) Buying expensive items from the USA is both expensive and risky (damaged items and returns), 2) Import taxes, we pay approximately 33% of the value of the item including the cost of shipping plus you pay a clearance tax. 33% of 800 = total $1064 plus shipping which for an item like the BS is bound to be more than $100. So you add say $100 + $800 = $900 then add your 33% = $1197. If the item is therefore overpriced because of a high run only a mad man would pay over the odds.

Hellboy
06-11-2007, 07:23 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thumbs2:

I too buy what I like and I like the Scout on Speeder Bike, a lot. I do however feel $800 is a bit much for this piece. Whether a piece skyrockets in value or not is inconsequential to me. If I buy something my intention is to keep it in my collection, but knowing that I could at the very least get what I paid for it should I need to sell it is important to me. Interests change and as a result so do collections not to mention you never know if or when you might need to liquidate some items. If the ES resembles other SW PFs I will cancel my pre-order and take my chances on eBay because there is no way this piece holds it's value.

Alex655321
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Good thread.

My take is I buy what I like.
If I see a statue I have go up in value it makes me feel even better than just owning the statue.
On the other side I don't get upset if the value goes down coz I am happy it's on the shelf.

Poisonous
06-11-2007, 07:37 PM
For me, it's as simple as this - i only collect what i like but if a piece i have in my collection is a low ES piece, that adds a lot to a already lovable piece and i consider it a great bonus - one i'll even gladly pay more for from time to time when picking up older, more rare and few in numbers pieces on the bay for example.

Like i said, a bonus and something i really prefer especially when shelling out for something really expensive i'd like to at least keep it's retail value (like the SS PF Speeder bike and scout or a CM piece for example) but normally not something that i take into consideration when deciding on what new pieces to add to my collection.

Gir
06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I buy what I like, and I don't worry about edition sizes. Pretty much everything Sideshow makes is mass-produced in some Asian factory. The edition size does not change that. A low edition size does not make a piece a better piece of art.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they hate the idea of overpaying. But buying at suggested retail helps support a line. If I care whether a line continues, then I'm not going to wait around for the best deal. I'm going to buy pieces at or near suggested retail.

risingstar
06-11-2007, 08:38 PM
I buy what I like, and I don't worry about edition sizes. Pretty much everything Sideshow makes is mass-produced in some Asian factory. The edition size does not change that. A low edition size does not make a piece a better piece of art.

I understand where people are coming from when they say they hate the idea of overpaying. But buying at suggested retail helps support a line. If I care whether a line continues, then I'm not going to wait around for the best deal. I'm going to buy pieces at or near suggested retail.

I hate paying retail.
I actually take it personally... lol.

:D

Underdog07
06-11-2007, 08:53 PM
As well as holding value, edition size affects the price you "need" to pay to get an item. This is especially true with Sideshow because if you order direct you do not get a discount. However, you can get a discout through other vendors.

WIth respect to the Speeder Biker, I reserved one at SS for $800 plus about $100 for shipping. I ordered it because if it is a low ES I will be unlikely to get one elsewhere. If it is plentiful, I can get it from my LCS for 20% and free shipping thus saving $260. So edition size affects where you will get an item.

speedracer
06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
The lower the edition size the rarer it is

The rarer it is, the more most collectors want to have it in their collections

The rarer it is, only a few can have it

Of course one or more of them has to be with you ;)...

Quite simple..=)

Trilogy
06-12-2007, 03:07 AM
As well as holding value, edition size affects the price you "need" to pay to get an item. This is especially true with Sideshow because if you order direct you do not get a discount. However, you can get a discout through other vendors.

Agreed, the edition size has a big impact on an items value. Even on newly released pieces. No one wants to pay over the odds on a new release when its available cheaper elsewhere and this is the biggest concern for many with the upcoming Speeder Bike.

Trilogy
06-12-2007, 03:08 AM
I hate paying retail.
I actually take it personally... lol.

:D

:laugh:

pingoy82
06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
I just get what I want, no matter how low or high the edition size is. For me the edition size will only affect when I will buy it hehehe :) high edition size? will buy in the secondary market :) low edition size? pre order :) But of course their are rare cases wherein the statue looks SOOOOO good in the preview that I just preorder it outright hehehe :)

Wow all this fuss because of the PF Bikerscout hehehe, sideshows stuff really started to be a debate ever since the PF Plastic Boba debacle hehehe, before it was more like, "WOW I'm getting it "