PDA

View Full Version : Marvel can not hold onto a female comic book..

marvelboi77
01-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Well Emma Frost is Cancelled. Mystique is Cancelled, She-Hulk is getting rebooted only to be cancelled again I predict. So far they are keeping Spidergirl alive but it has not made money since issue #39 when they first wanted to cancel it. I love these titles but I guess no one else does.. :mad:

abarron
01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
It could just be a general marvel thing????

Perna
01-24-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm sure Rogue will be cancelled as well soon.

DDura711
01-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Gambit, Invaders, Nightcrawler, Deadpool & Cable, & X-23, that crappy new Spider-Girl wanna be thing, & Excalibur are all do for the Chopping block are my guess.

Confessor
01-24-2005, 11:06 PM
I don't think that there's just much interest on a broad scale in female comic book headers. I've had this conversation with lots of folks at shows and the like. And the fact of the matter is, they just dont sell. Marvel will keep throwing (perhaps half-hearted) attempts at doing it from time to time, but there just isn't the readership for it. It's not not my cup of tea, personally.

insomniac
01-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the only real successfull comic featuring a female character in recent memory has been Witchblade. I am not even sure if that is still being published.

Bartman256
01-24-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't think that there's just much interest on a broad scale in female comic book headers. I've had this conversation with lots of folks at shows and the like. And the fact of the matter is, they just dont sell. Marvel will keep throwing a (perhaps half-hearted) attempts at doing it from time to time, but there just isn't the readership for it. It's not not my cup of tea, personally.

True. The majority of comic readers are male. Not much of an audience for female lead characters.

Jesse321
01-25-2005, 12:25 AM
When was Mystique canceled?

marvelboi77
01-25-2005, 12:27 AM
When was Mystique canceled?
She has 2 or 3 more books, as soon as quite man raps up.
Emma Frost dies after 18

Jesse321
01-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Well, that pretty much (once again) finishes off all the Marvel titles I'm reading.

SirConor
01-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Gambit, Invaders, Nightcrawler, Deadpool & Cable, & X-23, that crappy new Spider-Girl wanna be thing, & Excalibur are all do for the Chopping block are my guess.

Cable and Deadpool BETTER NOT GO!!! This is my favorite title right now... I never cease to laugh at DP and the stories have been quite interesting and different. I will be very sore if this one gets the boot.

metalsquid
01-25-2005, 02:24 AM
i think Rogue was retroactively changed from an on-going into a mini, which is essentially the same as cancelling it.

JR2
01-25-2005, 07:23 AM

If it isn't I'll be surprised. I'm very disappointed in this book. :thumbsdow

JR2
01-25-2005, 07:26 AM
i think Rogue was retroactively changed from an on-going into a mini, which is essentially the same as cancelling it.

If it was, it's at least a 9-12 issue mini, since the second story arc (with Sunfire) just started. It wouldn't be the first time in the past year that Marvel's done this though, Iron Fist was supposed to be ongoing. It was cancelled after 6 issues (deservedly so, too).

Then again, at least 2 books that were supposed to be limited series have become ongoing, Strange (another issue solicited in the new Previews) and Supreme Power (12 issue mini keeps going and going).

abarron
01-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the only real successfull comic featuring a female character in recent memory has been Witchblade. I am not even sure if that is still being published.
Fathom was pretty good but only lasted 14 issues. Hopefully the new Aspen comic is gonna do well
Cable and Deadpool BETTER NOT GO!!! This is my favorite title right now... I never cease to laugh at DP and the stories have been quite interesting and different. I will be very sore if this one gets the boot.
Ditto here.
I wasn't sure how the team up would work but i love Deadpool and the stories have been different from the usually run of the mill stuff

Tattoo-X
01-25-2005, 09:03 AM
I believe X-23 is only a 6 issue story from the get go.

Garrett
01-25-2005, 09:29 AM
I have never got any of the spin-off X-Men character book as there is too many X books out there. Only thing I have got is the End Song.
Its about time Marvel brought out an other non mutant mag out like Warbird or Spider-Woman which when they had there mags were far better than the stuff that’s coming out these days

wktf
01-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Well, what about Wonder Woman? She's really almost an iconic institution at this point, kind of above the status of comic book character.

nbr3bagshotrow
01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
It seems like Wolverine is the only single character that can keep interest in his/own book. I started the Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Madrox series and I doubt any of them will make it past 1 year. I'll probably drop Rogue and Gambit before Marvel does and Nightcrawler and Madrox are interesting me enough to keep reading for now.

bat_collector
01-25-2005, 01:45 PM
It seems like Wolverine is the only single character that can keep interest in his/own book. I started the Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Madrox series and I doubt any of them will make it past 1 year. I'll probably drop Rogue and Gambit before Marvel does and Nightcrawler and Madrox are interesting me enough to keep reading for now.
Madrox only a five issue series that has ended for now.

DDura711
01-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Hey, I'm right there with you. I don't want to see that one go. I'm both a fan of Deadpool & Cable. But lets see where it goes. I'd like to see it last.

insomniac
01-26-2005, 03:28 AM
Well, what about Wonder Woman? She's really almost an iconic institution at this point, kind of above the status of comic book character.

Wonder Women is iconic but her books but never really sell well. The book is usually in the bottom 1/4 of the top 100.