PDA

View Full Version : how to achieve the look of leather?

High Lord Apocalypse
07-08-2007, 10:59 PM
thought i'd start out with a lil question-
what technique do i need to get the look of leather? (specifically for leather gloves and boots on the bowen captain america)

FengShuiStein
07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm not familiar with the Bowen Cap, but I've had good luck with a basecoat of black, followed by drybrushing with Delta Ceramcoat dark burnt umber, then Delta burnt umber, then a mix of the burnt umber and Delta Autumn Brown. I used Krylon Matte to seal it (the old Krylon Matte had a cool sheen to it - perfect for leather. Sadly, the new stuff is too flat :bawling: ). For added weathering, you can scuff it slightly with sandpaper on the high spost (knees, etc.)

I used those colors / techniques on Killing Time's "Storm" kit (sorry the pic is so small):

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1601/1925801/4290389/53476980.jpg

Hope this helps!

-Phil

High Lord Apocalypse
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
thanks phil!!!
hope the painters pitstop thrives like the sculptors pitstop!

boondocksaint
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
it will

great stuff phil!

RickDTM
07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
If you're shooting for a brown leather coat look, I like to use Apple Barrel Territorial Beige as a base coat, drybrush it lightly w/ a little TBeige and white, then airbrush in some Golden Raw Umber Hue for the shading and tinting. Looks pretty cool!

boondocksaint
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
thanks rick

High Lord Apocalypse
07-09-2007, 05:47 PM
thanks rick, i appreciate it man!!

FengShuiStein
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
If you're shooting for a brown leather coat look, I like to use Apple Barrel Territorial Beige as a base coat, drybrush it lightly w/ a little TBeige and white, then airbrush in some Golden Raw Umber Hue for the shading and tinting. Looks pretty cool!

Oooooh, nice - I gotta try that one!! Gracias, amigo!!

-Phil

boondocksaint
07-09-2007, 08:25 PM
painters helping people trying to learn how to paint....painters helping painters....ahhhhhh what a place!

RickDTM
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
You're welcome!

Philly, I completely agree w/ you about the old Krylon Matte. Left just a hint of a shine....sigh.....:bawling:

Love the leather look on Storm. That's the perfect dark brown look for sure.

chromesamurai
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Could a watered down transparent Burnt Umber type color over a black give it that deep, distressed look?

Danno
07-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Hey Tony,

Specifically for that red leather effect, this is the formula that I use:

Basecoat the red areas with Burnt Sienna.

Then mask off and airbrush on a mid red tone (I like thinned Vallejo Gory Red, it has a very very slight purple tone to the red), build the color up slow so that the Burnt Sienna acts as your shadow color.

Then air brush on your highlight color with a nice bright red (here I prefer Vallejo Bloody Red since it is a bright red with just a slight orange tint to give a nice contrast to the colors below).

Finally, do some shading with a thinned (thinned heavy with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol....about 70 % alcohol to 30% paint) Transparent Raw Umber Hue to etch out the separation between the fingers, wrinkles/fold, etc. Seal it up and you are good to go.

I hope this helps.

High Lord Apocalypse
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
thank you danno!!!!!!

chromesamurai
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Finally, do some shading with a thinned (thinned heavy with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol....about 70 % alcohol to 30% paint) Transparent Raw Umber Hue

Nice! Guess so!

Any statue of yours you have pics of where you've used this technique, Danno?