PDA

View Full Version : Sony cuts PS3 price

Spatial.Archite
07-10-2007, 08:30 AM
http://news.com.com/Sony+cuts+PS3+price+by+100/2100-1043_3-6195402.html

It's been long rumored, but now it's official. Seems odd to me 'cause they're at the exact same pricing structure that they were at when the PS3 was first released.

abarron
07-10-2007, 08:42 AM
When will this hit the uk?

Spatial.Archite
07-10-2007, 08:46 AM
As of right now it won't hit the U.K., it's the North American market only.

abarron
07-10-2007, 09:26 AM
D'oh am getting a PS3 soon and was hoping this would have a knock on effect over here

Vince-Vell
07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
They are going to release another PS3 with a bigger Hard Drive back to its normal price.

Still way over priced for me. Maybe if they hit around the $300 mark i would consider it.

Bullseye
07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Its a great piece of kit and the picture quality is awesome for BD movies. I may pick one up on my visit to the US as the exchange rate makes it even more attractive.

The General
07-10-2007, 11:59 AM
They are going to release another PS3 with a bigger Hard Drive back to its normal price.

Still way over priced for me. Maybe if they hit around the $300 mark i would consider it.

That's what I'm say'n.

Sgt Taz
07-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Meh... They'd better make some quality games and lots of em if they want my money...and up the online service too.

twinzs
07-10-2007, 12:33 PM
I want to know if it can play ps2 games correctly yet

stormshadow75x
07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I think the PS3 is just not worth it

I think I'll just pick up a XBox 360 Elite

abarron
07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
I want to know if it can play ps2 games correctly yet

Same here i have spoken to some people that say you can and others that say you can't think it depends on the game

HalJordanFan
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I think the PS3 is just not worth it

I think I'll just pick up a XBox 360 Elite

Good idea considering that the Xbox 360 is due anyday now to announce another price cut.

CocoPUFF
07-10-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm happy with my xbox.....but still want a ps3 here pretty soon...

Spatial.Archite
07-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Same here i have spoken to some people that say you can and others that say you can't think it depends on the game

From what I've read the new 80 GB version of the PS3 takes a step backwards in the PS2 compatibility department.

Microsoft and Nintendo can easily cut their prices and still stay much more appealing than the PS3. To me the price cut is more marketing hype than anything, they haven't really cut the price since they're at the same pricing structure. In 7 months Sony's already deleted one SKU of the PS3, introduced a new one, and lowered the price on the only constant.

Kujo
07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I have been debating whether to get one when i go to the US in september, but after seeing what is coming out, I'm not bothering with a PS3 for a looooong time. All the games that i'd want that have been exclusive PS titles (MGS, GTA, Assassins Creed, Resident Evil, even Ace Combat) are all coming for the 360 anyway!

Sony seriously needs to do something if they want to stay in the lead in the console market. They need to get exclusives and make games that people want to make me wanna part with 400 quid.

snappahead
07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
I have been debating whether to get one when i go to the US in september, but after seeing what is coming out, I'm not bothering with a PS3 for a looooong time. All the games that i'd want that have been exclusive PS titles (MGS, GTA, Assassins Creed, Resident Evil, even Ace Combat) are all coming for the 360 anyway!

Sony seriously needs to do something if they want to stay in the lead in the console market. They need to get exclusives and make games that people want to make me wanna part with 400 quid.

I think the days of the exclusive are coming to an end soon. There's always going to be some, but not like they use to be. It's better for the publisher these days to release them on as many systems as they can and they're starting to learn that.

To me, that spells trouble for Sony. They have (on paper at least) the most powerful system, but third party, multi platform games have been inferior on the PS3. Games built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS3's abilities are what Sony needs and I don't think we're going to see alot of 3rd party companies willing to do that. The #s don't lie. Sony's a distant third right now in the next gen war and developers go where the money is.

chromesamurai
07-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Spatial is right.

They're not including the Emotion Engine with the new model PS3. The Emotion Engine is the processor from the PS2 used to play PS2 games in a PS3.

Instead they're using software emulation. Unless Sony decides to really get on the ball about backwards compatibilty, this can spell disaster. This will mean you'll have to download an update for any older game you want to play, provided Sony has come up with the software patch for it. Just like the 360, but I think Sony will probably care less about it's older titles.

Since the PS2 has so many more games in it's library than the X-Box, this leaves me wondering if they'll actually commit to this and not just patch the 50 most popular games or so.

Model Giants
07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I had a ps3 took it back and I won't own another one, even if they gave it to me...Overrated!!!!!!

They're Statues!
07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
E3 reports I've read on Home, Killzone 2 and MGS4, which will be released first on the PS3 with no announcement on when it will hit the 360, make me belive Sony is finally rolling in the right direction. Remember the 360 has been in the market a full year longer than the PS3. The real battle for gamers hearts, minds and money is in the long term. Some of the best games for the PS2 and the xbox came at the end of the life cycle. I can't even remember any of the games from the first year. With inovations like the Wii and the iPhone it's a good time to be a gamer. Lots of choices.

xreynoldsxcorex
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
MGS4 is a ps3 exclusive and unfortunately that will get me to purchase one just to play. And besides that new E3 trailer makes it look like it will be damn worth the money, but I for sure will never come close to using 80gigs, ever.

snappahead
07-12-2007, 03:50 AM
MGS4 is a ps3 exclusive and unfortunately that will get me to purchase one just to play. And besides that new E3 trailer makes it look like it will be damn worth the money, but I for sure will never come close to using 80gigs, ever.

Actually that's not entirely true. There was no confirmation about it at E3. From what I've heard, Konami is interested in releasing it for the 360 but they're probably waiting to see if sales pick up for the PS3. They may end up doing the ol' exclusive for a short time deal where it won't be available for the 360 until after a year or something. At any rate, they didn't commit to exclusivity for the PS3.

I've been following the coverage of E3 and I have to say I'm much more interested in the PS3 now. Nothing special about Sony's conference other than it wasn't loaded with BS. They were just talkin games and I have to say they won me over a bit. This fall looks very good for Sony.

xreynoldsxcorex
07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Well if we want to be technical and look at the statements they did say that it is a ps3 2008 exclusive. I for one am not going to be waiting til 09 to play Metal Gear on Xbox however. Also, I think if it is ported to 360 it might not be as good because all that real time footage that Kojima showed must take up loads of space which might unfortunately max out on a 360. I am very impatient and that video with Raiden was ridiculous!!! So Sony will be getting all my damn money soon.:bawling: and I can't wait for them to have it! But I am double sad about it.:bawling:

Ink
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Well if we want to be technical and look at the statements they did say that it is a ps3 2008 exclusive. I for one am not going to be waiting til 09 to play Metal Gear on Xbox however. Also, I think if it is ported to 360 it might not be as good because all that real time footage that Kojima showed must take up loads of space which might unfortunately max out on a 360. I am very impatient and that video with Raiden was ridiculous!!! So Sony will be getting all my damn money soon.:bawling: and I can't wait for them to have it! But I am double sad about it.:bawling:

have you seen the graphics for the need for speed games on the 360?

Vince-Vell
07-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Just read a article, but lost the link saying PS3 might cut the price down a bit more. Not sure if its true, but we will see this x-mas. Cause Wii might not be able to meet the demand for x-mas.

snappahead
07-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Just read a article, but lost the link saying PS3 might cut the price down a bit more. Not sure if its true, but we will see this x-mas. Cause Wii might not be able to meet the demand for x-mas.

I'd really be surprised if Sony did that. I'm sure they're pretty annoyed to have to do it once, but there's probably no chance they'll do it again anytime soon. It look too desperate on their part.

Spatial.Archite
07-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, it's not really a price cut, more of a clearance sale...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/804/804902p1.html

At least I was right about this being marketing hype. Basically, if you want a $500 PS3 grab it now; they're discontinuing the 60 GB model, hence the reduced price.

loricstone
07-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Just got one the day after it was announced. I bought it strictly for Blu Ray movies. I noticed a huge difference in the sound quality of the PS3 from the new Sony BDP S300. It was definitely a difference. The PS3 sounded very very nicely.

I will occasionally play a few PS2 games I never got to play (God of War, Shadow of Colossus, Okami,etc.)

My XBox 360 Elite is where most of my game playing is done. Just got through beating Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I can't get Silver Surfer though. How the hell do I get him?

loricstone
07-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Actually that's not entirely true. There was no confirmation about it at E3. From what I've heard, Konami is interested in releasing it for the 360 but they're probably waiting to see if sales pick up for the PS3. They may end up doing the ol' exclusive for a short time deal where it won't be available for the 360 until after a year or something. At any rate, they didn't commit to exclusivity for the PS3.

I've been following the coverage of E3 and I have to say I'm much more interested in the PS3 now. Nothing special about Sony's conference other than it wasn't loaded with BS. They were just talkin games and I have to say they won me over a bit. This fall looks very good for Sony.

Initially it will be exclusive to the PS3, much like VF5 was. However, you can bet it will be coming to the XBox as well. Just about everything else that used to be exclusive to Sony is.

thecallahan
07-15-2007, 11:45 AM
My XBox 360 Elite is where most of my game playing is done. Just got through beating Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I can't get Silver Surfer though. How the hell do I get him?

Silver Surfer: defeat all sim discs with at least a bronze

Kujo
07-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Looking at E3 stuff this year has made me wanna wait even longer for a PS3. Anything worth having (that isn't coming out for the 360) isn't out until next year (GT5, Little Big Planet, MSG4 (depending on how long we have have to wait for a 360 version)).

I am much more looking forward to what the xbox has to offer before xmas (assasins creed looks awesome, as does PGR4!)

I can't wait!!!

HalJordanFan
07-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Get an Elite and put that PS3 on the Bay. Hopefully someone will buy it from you.:thumbs2:

abarron
07-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Dammit
I ordered a PS3 from play.com on thursday and i noticed today the have the same bundle on the website for £75 cheaper today

Dammit:thumbsdow :bawling:

Collection King 13
07-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Sweet!!! I may pick one up this week!

Ink
07-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Sweet!!! I may pick one up this week!

good luck finding one

batman1180
07-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I picked one up last night at costco. I had to drive to two different costco's though. It seems that while the PS3 is still widely hated online, this price drop is moving systems like nobodies business. The bundles are being featured at costco's as soon as you walk in, which has helped move product for them as many stores are sold out.

It took a while, but I finally joined the PSWii60 club. I mainly wanted the PS3 for the blu-ray capabilities. The ability to play games was just an added feature for me.