PDA

View Full Version : Painting Lips

Gr8one
07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
What colors do you use to paint lips? I love how Danno paints his models and I've been studying his work, but I cannot figure out what he does for the lips.

FengShuiStein
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, lips are tricky. I usually mix a little Delta Ceramcoat "Gypsy Rose" in with my flesh color, and paint that on the lips. I go over that with a thin wash of Delta "Red Iron Oxide", and then a thin wash of "Autumn Brown".

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1601/1925801/14759187/222163804.jpg

-Phil

Danno
07-13-2007, 01:33 PM
That's a great combo Phil!

Hey Gr8one,

I change the lip color/forula depending on what the piece is and how I did the flesh (which can change from piece to piece depending on the character and look I am after.

But my most basic approach is really quite simple. After you have finished painting the flesh tones on the face, gently airbrush a thinned Freestyle Transparent Natural Flesh over the lip to add a slight oprange skin tint. Then take Liquitex Portrait Pink (which is a nice dusty muted pink tone) and cut it back 50/50 with Floetrol to make it semi translucent and brush it thinly over the lip area. Clean the brush off and using the clean brush, start to gently remove lines/stripes (working from the inner mouth outward) of the pink off and blend.

I hope this helps.

Gr8one
07-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Thank you both very much!:buttrock: I will give it a try!