PDA

View Full Version : Michael Chabon - not getting it

Babytoxie
07-23-2007, 08:30 AM
I know he won the Pulitzer, but I can't get into his style. I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and while the comic-related bits were kind of interesting, I found the book as a whole to be directionless and overwritten. I am currently reading The Final Solution, his take on Sherlock Holmes, and am not too impressed... only halfway into a 160-page book and i'm already bored. I had planned on reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union, but it looks like I may just call it quits. I don't see why there is so much hooplah over this guy.:confused:

Teague
07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I know he won the Pulitzer, but I can't get into his style. I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and while the comic-related bits were kind of interesting, I found the book as a whole to be directionless and overwritten. I am currently reading The Final Solution, his take on Sherlock Holmes, and am not too impressed... only halfway into a 160-page book and i'm already bored. I had planned on reading The Yiddish Policemen's Union, but it looks like I may just call it quits. I don't see why there is so much hooplah over this guy.:confused:

Like any writer that hits it big, Chabon is in desperate need of an editor willing to edit him. I agree with you on that. But as a novelist, I have to say that I'm astounded at the scope of his books--they're so authoritative in terms of the realities of the time and the environment that I don't doubt them, even when I'm reading about a Jewish golem coming to life or New York comics in the late 30s or whatever. That's the genius of it for me.

I haven't read Final Solution, though I was planning to pick up Yiddish Policemen. But in the end, read what you like, and don't fret what's "supposed" to be good. There's enough great stuff out there to occupy most of our free time that you shouldn't waste it trying to catch up with what other people think is good, and what you for whatever reason don't connect with. :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
There's enough great stuff out there to occupy most of our free time that you shouldn't waste it trying to catch up with what other people think is good, and what you for whatever reason don't connect with. :thumbs2:

Well-said. No doubt about it.

Teague, have you ever read any Steven Milhauser? I've really enjoyed his novels and stories.

Teague
07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Well-said. No doubt about it.

Teague, have you ever read any Steven Milhauser? I've really enjoyed his novels and stories.

I haven't--what sort of stuff does he do? If you'd suggest a title or two, I'll keep an eye out. Always looking for writers I haven't checked out yet. :thumbs2:

Babytoxie
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
I haven't--what sort of stuff does he do? If you'd suggest a title or two, I'll keep an eye out. Always looking for writers I haven't checked out yet. :thumbs2:

He writes general fiction, but his stories have an underlying hint of the fantastic. He's very good at taking an everyday situation and making it seem otherworldy, kind of along the lines of Ray Bradbury. One of his stories was the basis for the movie The Illusionist.

Check out Little Kingdoms (3 novellas), The Knife Thrower (short stories), and The Barnum Museum (short stories).

Captain Late
07-23-2007, 05:48 PM
I kind of agree about Chabon, he is an excellent writer on many levels but can put me to sleep at the same time. Kind of like an overly long film that pays off in the end; you liked it when it was done but halfway through you're practically asleep. Gotta love someone who digs the Golden age though!
I'm reading a book of Patricia Highsmith short stories right now and really digging it.

wktf
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I absolutely loved The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.