View Full Version : MySpace: 29,000 Sex Offenders Registered on Site

wktf
07-24-2007, 05:02 PM
This is just great. From Advertising Age:

MySpace: 29,000 Sex Offenders Registered on Site
High Number Likely to Spur Calls for Age Verification for Social Networks
By Jeremy Mullman

Published: July 24, 2007
CHICAGO (AdAge.com) -- MySpace has identified more than 29,000 registered sex offenders on its social network -- more than four times the number it claimed to have found in May, according to the North Carolina attorney general's office.

The new number of sex offenders on MySpace figures to boost identity-verification advocates who have been arguing for age- and identity-verification requirements for social-networking sites.

In the wake of several sex offenses that are alleged to have been traced to contacts on social-networking sites, MySpace earlier this year began checking its registered-user list against a database of registered sex offenders. In May, the News Corp.-owned site said it had found 7,000 users.

North Carolina AG
But a document authored by Attorney General Roy Cooper distributed today in a hearing in front of the North Carolina state House of Representatives -- which is considering a bill, already passed by the state Senate, that would require parental consent for children to join MySpace -- put the number at 29,000.

"That number includes just the predators who signed up using their real names, and not the ones who failed to register or used fake names, or who haven't been convicted," wrote Mr. Cooper, who is one of several attorneys general working to slap restrictions on social networks. Attorneys general in Connecticut and Massachusetts have also been lobbying for reforms on MySpace and other sites.

The new number of sex offenders on MySpace figures to boost identity-verification advocates who have been arguing for age- and identity-verification requirements for social-networking sites.

'This is horrifying'
"On the most basic level, this is horrifying," said John Aristotle Phillips, CEO of Aristotle, a technology consulting firm that has developed age-verification for sites including Anheuser-Busch's pioneering Bud.TV. "You have 29,000 convicted sex offenders milling around with kids on a website, and it's just the tip of the iceberg because these are just the people who were stupid enough to use their real names."

A MySpace spokeswoman didn't return a phone call immediately, but the company has argued in the past that age verification is ineffective.

"It isn't perfect," Mr. Phillips conceded. "But it can at least reduce the anonymity that sex offenders require to commit their crimes."

Ink
07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
that's great:banghead:

bat_collector
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
wow! I'm speechless

Nightcrawler777
07-24-2007, 06:20 PM
wow! I'm speechless

What he Didn't Say.. :thumbsdow

patrickwm68
07-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a MySpace page....:confused2

Collection King 13
07-24-2007, 06:38 PM

me too...

Nightcrawler777
07-24-2007, 06:53 PM

I can Honestly Say i have never been on Myspace..
Never felt the Urge..
Just seemed like a Place were little kids went to hook Up...

Vince-Vell
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Never even loged onto a myspace site, figured sex ofenders were the ones who created it.

riderV3
07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Mysapce or whatever personal internet diary/blogs are just unnecessary and stupid.

riderV3
07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Never even loged onto a myspace site, figured sex ofenders were the ones who created it.

That's highly possible.

wktf
07-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Mysapce or whatever personal internet diary/blogs are just unnecessary and stupid.

My 15 year old son and his friends have MySpace and FaceBook pages. This **** scares the **** out of me. :mad:

riderV3
07-24-2007, 07:31 PM
My 15 year old son and his friends have MySpace and FaceBook pages. This **** scares the **** out of me. :mad:

Told you this stupid thing is utterly unnecessary.

I know some of them only allow close friends to read but if they're your friends, what's the point of updateing your "thought" and let them read about it online...Just call them or talk to them in person!!

It's like sitting on the toilet in the house and use cell phone to call your wife to ask whether dinner is ready or not, totally unnecessary.

wktf
07-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I agree with you. But different generation with different way of communicating. I don't understand it or buy into it, but they sure do.

patrickwm68
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I agree with you. But different generation with different way of communicating. I don't understand it or buy into it, but they sure do.

I was totally against it for a long time. My wife had a Myspace page and one day I was bored so I made one for myself. Because of it I got in touch with friends I have't heard from in years. There's so much more to it than I thought. All my favorite bands have pages and they post frequent updates on new CD's coming out. Like anything on the interent, you just have to be careful.

riderV3
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I was totally against it for a long time. My wife had a Myspace page and one day I was bored so I made one for myself. Because of it I got in touch with friends I have't heard from in years. There's so much more to it than I thought. All my favorite bands have pages and they post frequent updates on new CD's coming out. Like anything on the interent, you just have to be careful.

It's hard to be careful when there're over 29,000 sex offeners around you and might be reading your kids' page/updates...

patrickwm68
07-24-2007, 07:51 PM
It's hard to be careful when there're over 29,000 sex offeners around you and might be reading your kids' page/updates...

MySpace has Parental settings to protect their kids from predators. Unfortunately some parents don't watch what their kids are doing.

Primal
07-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Eh. I'm sure the vast majority of those 29,000 are just people who coincidentally had the same name as a sex offender.

riderV3
07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Eh. I'm sure the vast majority of those 29,000 are just people who coincidentally had the same name as a sex offender.

So we'll call you Optimist Prime from now on!

I mean, face it, you know those sex offernders never learn...
They keep getting caught by doing the same thing, once they're released form the jail, they'll just start a new hunt...
of course there're ones who actually learned but that's the super minority, believe it or not.

lord odin
07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
I`m glad I don`t have kids.

Car50n
07-24-2007, 11:28 PM
i refuse to mySpace. i've always told my friends and family:

"myspace is for stalkers and little girls..and want no part of either."

Davidian
07-25-2007, 01:55 AM

Me 3....