PDA

View Full Version : Pinning Kits

Jesse321
08-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I've got a couple of kits that I'm putting together and I wanted to ask the masters a question about pinning.

When pinning a kit, I'm assuming that the goal is for the pin to fit as snuggly as possible to assure a good strong hold.

Here's the problem, I'm testing a few different materials with a few different sized drill and dremel bits, but nothing seems to fit REALLY snug. I'm trying, wire hangers, finishing nails etc. but I can't seem to find the right sized drill or dremel bit to fit the exact width of the pin I'm trying to use. I've come pretty darn close, but I can't sem to find that perfect fit of hole to pin.

Anyone got any advice on what to use that in their experience make a proper fit?

'Nuff
08-11-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm no expert...But you need to leave a little room for the epoxy...:thumbs2:

HELLION
08-11-2007, 05:18 PM
When pinning a kit, I'm assuming that the goal is for the pin to fit as snuggly as possible to assure a good strong hold.

I do not believe an exact fit is required but I an no expert. I have however pinned my own statues and believe that assuring a good strong hold is up to the epoxy you use. I use a five minute cement, roll it into a thin cylinder and slide it down the hole on both sides filling up as much as you can then insert your pin and attach the piece. Hold for five and your good then extra support will be made when you close the seam with your favorite epoxy.
It has worked for me and I hope this helps,
[H]

Danno
08-11-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't always pin with 2 tight snug fitting areas. Many times I leave a little play and drill the hole slightly larger than the pin to ensure that the epoxy will make a good bond between the pin and the resin

boondocksaint
08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
i use 1/8 drill bit and 1/8 brass rod which can be picked up at a hobby store or a hardware store

Jesse321
08-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys. :)

fenix v.2.0
08-12-2007, 12:39 PM
i use 1/8 drill bit and 1/8 brass rod which can be picked up at a hobby store or a hardware store

I do the same thing but use the hollow rods and dump crazy glue down the spout.

Car50n
08-12-2007, 01:02 PM
i suplex towards the corner, set them up for the top-rope brainbuster, and seal the deal.......pinned 1, 2, 3

if that doesnt work, X marks the spot, drill, epoxy, hold and wait until dry. followed by putty, fill, sand and prime

JadeGiant
08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
great thread - 5 stars

Primal
08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
i suplex towards the corner, set them up for the top-rope brainbuster, and seal the deal.......pinned 1, 2, 3

:laugh: :thumbs2:

FengShuiStein
08-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I use all kinds of srtuff for pins: coat hanger, paper clips, cut-down screws, threaded rod, etc. I guess it all depends on what (and how heavy) the part is you're pinning.

Like Danno & 'Nuff sez, you want a little wiggle room to allow space for the glue, and to make sure the parts are aligned properly. The downside is (for me, anyway), you end up holding the parts together with your hands, while the glue / epoxy sets up.

-Phil

Vince-Vell
08-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Sometimes i just use a hobby glue which is more potent then superglue and sets in seconds to get the pieces together. Then i drill into the joint and throw in apoxie and a metal pin. Once that dries i will then use apoxie all around the seem to lock it in.

I dont do that all the time, just depends on the situation of the joint/piece.

But most of the time i will use a screw insted of a metal pin since i have tons of them in my tool box. And apoxie to keep it together. Good way of using apoxie is mix it up let it sit for a bit to harden up and then smush it into the pieces you are connecting to not sit there forever holding it watching scrubs!

kenny
08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I usually put the piece together and drill through the joint with a bigger hole and add epoxy and then the pin, fill the hole with sculpt and viola. It helps to pin after so the joints line up. For bigger pieces I will drill a hole for a screw and file a break point in the screw just short of the head so when I scew it in the head breaks off just under the surface. That works great, you just have to go slow so the screw doesn't break halfway in, it's the tightest joint you can make.:thumbs2: