PDA

View Full Version : Paint Stripper?

Jesse321
08-12-2007, 06:23 PM
What's the best paint stripper to use to remove paint and primer for a resin kit the you want to repaint?

DanPerezStudios
08-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Hey Jesse--I use Bix stripper, which can be bought at Walmart. It's a thick fluid and you can brush it on. It tends to evaporate, so brush on a thick coat, then wrap the piece in cling-wrap and let it sit for ten minutes to let the stripper work. Then wash the softened paint off with soapy water and a toothbrush. Bix may soften thin resin pieces, but don't be alarmed--they will stiffen up again after being washed.

Doc Sonic
08-12-2007, 06:45 PM
What's the best paint stripper to use to removed paint and primer for a resin kit the you want to repaint?

Do you need a totally nude stripper? If I can keep my undies and socks on I can do the job for you pretty cheap.
:)

boondocksaint
08-12-2007, 07:27 PM
i was told to use easy off

Jesse321
08-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Do you need a totally nude stripper? If I can keep my undies and socks on I can do the job for you pretty cheap.
:)
If it ain't all the way, it ain't worth the effort .. all that work for no pay off at the end .. blah! :wink2:

i was told to use easy off
No, that's what the ladies use on you instead of mace. :redface:

:laugh:

boondocksaint
08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
no im serious

put in a plastic bag spray let sit for awhile and washo off

Jesse321
08-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks Boonie. :thumbs2:

Vince-Vell
08-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I use Acetone. Certain resin will melt in acetone like the white resin kits you produce. Stuff like bowen, moore etc... works fine.

I just submerge the stuff in it, use a toothbrush to scrape it off. I get a nice clean resin statue out of it in 10min. Plus a gallon of that stuff has stripped down about 20 busts and statues before i needed a new bottle.

Just nasty stuff, so do it outdoors, wear goggles and just reuse the stuff.

FengShuiStein
08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
For resin kits, I use Easy-Off, just like boony mentioned: hose it down, and stick it inside a ziploc bag for a while. With a scrub brush (I use old toothbrushes) under running water, most of the paint and primer will come right off. It might take a few "hosings" to get it all off, but it seems to work about the best, I've found.

Most pre-painted statues are cold-cast or porcelain resins, and can withstand something a little harsher. I stripped the paint off of a Sideshow LOTR bust using Citri-Strip, and the paint dissolved very quickly, coming off as I was scrubbing it.

Citri-Strip is harsh stuff - wear good rubber gloves!! I used those yellow kitchen gloves, and it ate right through 'em! Also, as the paint is disolving, it does tend to clump up and get nasty, and water seems to neutralize the stripping action, so I recommend wiping off as much as you can with paper towels before rinsing it with water. You'll have to let your scrub brush thoroughly dry before starting again, too.

-Phil

kenny
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Second the Easy Off, buy the yellow can. :thumbs2:

'Nuff
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Hey Jesse--I use Bix stripper, which can be bought at Walmart. It's a thick fluid and you can brush it on. It tends to evaporate, so brush on a thick coat, then wrap the piece in cling-wrap and let it sit for ten minutes to let the stripper work. Then wash the softened paint off with soapy water and a toothbrush. Bix may soften thin resin pieces, but don't be alarmed--they will stiffen up again after being washed.

I've been looking for you...Your Texas Brothers would love for you to visit The Republic of Texas Thread...:buttrock: Even iffin it's just a drive by every now and then...:thumbs2:

ashley76
08-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Easy off is the way to go but, it doesn't do well on red for some reason...

ickwinzs
08-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Castrol super clean is what I have been using and it works fantastic!

DanPerezStudios
08-19-2007, 10:16 PM
I've been looking for you...Your Texas Brothers would love for you to visit The Republic of Texas Thread...:buttrock: Even iffin it's just a drive by every now and then...:thumbs2:

Didn't know there was a topic devoted to our great state, but I will be there now!

Yippeekiyay! :)

High Lord Apocalypse
08-20-2007, 05:15 PM
all i saw was the word stripper and i came a runnin'

HELLION
08-20-2007, 06:09 PM
ok so I had to strip the paint off of my magma statue and I'm having a real hard time getting it off. First I used easy off but it was not removing hardly any. then I used acetone and it seens to be eating away or dulling the finish of the statue which is baked super sculpey. then I tried two more times with easy off but there is still paint in the cracks and primer all over. now its drying and she is turning white like chalk. this is so frustrating because it looks like I'll have to resculpt alot of her, it a God awful mess:bawling:
So what do I try now? More easy off or is there something better? I went to wal-mart and looked for Bix stripper but they had none:banghead:
Please help
Steve

Vince-Vell
08-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Aww man that sucks, i never tried Acetone on Super Sculpty. Guess thats a no go for that.

What paint did ya use? Enamels are the worst to deal with when stripping. Acrylic seems to peel right off with acetone and the other methods.

What primer did ya use? I have tried Acetone with Duplicolor and that stuff gets all sorts of messy when used with Acetone. Krylon on the other hand comes right off.

HELLION
08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Aww man that sucks, i never tried Acetone on Super Sculpty. Guess thats a no go for that.

What paint did ya use? Enamels are the worst to deal with when stripping. Acrylic seems to peel right off with acetone and the other methods.

What primer did ya use? I have tried Acetone with Duplicolor and that stuff gets all sorts of messy when used with Acetone. Krylon on the other hand comes right off.
ya man does it ever suck.
The primer was gray krylon which was my first mistake, I should have used a white primer.
I used acrylic paint applied with brushed first I applied it real thick to cover the gray primer I used. Then I sealed with testors dull coat to apply acrlic washes which I did a few layers for every wash I did. Then I sealed some areas with krylon crystal clear to get shiny effect.
I'm almost depressed about the whole thing:sly2:
the only thing I can be happy about is that I sort of know what not to do now:confused2 kind of, lol

Vince-Vell
08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Dude that truly sucks. Saldy resin could sit in acetone for a long time, but for SSculpty i guess its a one time paint up.

HELLION
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Dude that truly sucks. Saldy resin could sit in acetone for a long time, but for SSculpty i guess its a one time paint up.

well as the saying goes, live , stumble all over the place , smash your head, stub your toe and learn.

moon_knight1971
08-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Steve, did you let the piece soak in Easy Off? I believe it's 20 minutes to an hour. There was another thread on this at the clubhouse recently.

Vince-Vell
08-21-2007, 12:38 AM
well as the saying goes, live , stumble all over the place , smash your head, stub your toe and learn.

Funny my fathers saying was "Don't F*** it up". :p