PDA

View Full Version : How to scan art?

Doc Sonic
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I have a standard flat bed scanner and want to document my orignial artwork for insurance and archival purposes. Most pieces won't fit on the scanner. How do people get these nice scanned images of their art ?

lord odin
08-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I know you can scan sections of it and put them together like a puzzle or you can just take a picture of it then scan/copy it to your HD or disk.

JadeGiant
08-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I just take high res pics ... they are not the quality I like and getting the angle perfect is always difficult ... best I can do ...

Krypton Knight
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I take mine to Office Max and have them scan it onto a CD-RW. Bring your own CD-RW though, it'll be cheaper.

rilynil
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I take mine to Office Max and have them scan it onto a CD-RW. Bring your own CD-RW though, it'll be cheaper.
Wow, it's cool you've found a place to have it done. Many businesses won't scan original art unless you're the original artist or you have written permission from the artist (because of copyright issues).

Scottsdale Saint
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, it's cool you've found a place to have it done. Many businesses won't scan original art unless you're the original artist or you have written permission from the artist (because of copyright issues).
i've heard of people having this issue, but i've never had a problem going to my local Kinko's. i had about forty-five pieces scanned yesterday, and the only thing the clerk said at the end was, "Sorry, it took so long." :)

Krypton Knight
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM

I have heard of some places doing that. I'm just lucky that there are some slacker girls who work the scanning area at the Office Max I go to that don't seem to give a rip.

MONSTER
08-13-2007, 01:37 PM
i've heard of people having this issue, but i've never had a problem going to my local Kinko's. i had about forty-five pieces scanned yesterday, and the only thing the clerk said at the end was, "Sorry, it took so long." :)

I had the same problem at Kinkos. I then went to Office Depot and had no problem.

goingbroke223
08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
staples did 1 time but that was only because it had the marvel stamp on the back of the art.
im pretty sure commissions are no problem since there are no marvel, dc or orther stamps on them.

Scottsdale Saint
08-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I had the same problem at Kinkos. I then went to Office Depot and had no problem.oh, it wasn't really a problem, i was just pointing out how she sooooo didn't care whether or not the art was copyrighted.

MONSTER
08-13-2007, 03:03 PM
oh, it wasn't really a problem, i was just pointing out how she sooooo didn't care whether or not the art was copyrighted.

Opps I read your response too fast. What did they charge you to do 45 scans?

Scottsdale Saint
08-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Opps I read your response too fast. What did they charge you to do 45 scans?no problem Kenny, as far as cost, it definitely wasn't cheap, but since i don't have a way to scan pages and full-size commissions at 300dpi it was my only option. i'm going to be having a few pieces digitally colored so time was of the essence. it was 4.99 for the disc and 99 cents for each scan. it was about 50 bucks total. if i'd brought my pocket drive i could've saved the 5 spot, but it wasn't worth the gas or the time to go get it. i'll remember for sure next time, though.