PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock demo (360) - download it now!

El Diablo
08-15-2007, 03:28 AM
don`t know if you guys have seen it yet but the bioshock demo is available to download nowfrom live :buttrock:
I downloaded it yesterday and man this game is awesome :buttrock: It has one of the best gaming enviroments i`ve seen in a game for a long time, and the atomsphere it creates is just incredible!
The graphics are some of the best i`ve seen on the 360 (which is to be expected as it uses the unreal engine) in fact when you first get control over the character at the beginning of the demo it took me a minute or so to realise as I thought it was still in the cutscene (check out the water effects :buttrock: )
Love the use of the 'plasmids' in the game also it should make for great variety when combining them with the normal weapons (there`s something like 70 plasmids in the final game and the electricity and fire ones are available in the demo) I`ll definately be getting this one when it`s released :)

snappahead
08-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Man, I need to pick up a 360. So much stuff coming out soon. I'm dying to try the demo for Stranglehold and now Bioshock...sonova... Next month I hope to pick one up. By then, Bioshock and Stranglehold should be out. I've heard a ton of good things about the Bioshock demo.

Sgt Taz
08-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I downloaded it monday. Somehow I expected more of it. It does have that whole setting going on but other than that I found it rather dark and the enemies moved rather slugish. Impacts of gunshots and hits were also rather dated looking. Dunno I guess I'm just summing up the lesser things and it's a good game but I wont be picking it up, not at retail price at least.

Colossal
08-15-2007, 08:19 AM
What do you guys think of it visually, does it compete with Gears?

See, when I play games now, Im trying to think, does it look as good as Gears, is everyone else catching up to that benchmark. But I cant tell, I mean Darkness looked fantastic, so is it more about use of atmosphere and texturing than game programming to get that stunning effect?

At any rate, played a bit of the demo on the day it came out, but havent had much time. Really appealing, and some freaky scares add to the tense atmosphere, wondering whats going to leap out of the darkness. Reminds me of Doom 3 in that respect, only with a lot of cool additions with the use of the Plasmids. I agree though, so far weapons dont really cut it from what Ive seen, I relied more on Plasmids and the trusty wrench to the face for the finale.

Which probably explains why I died a few times on one area then gave up!

Also didnt get into the concept of the puzzles to hack the machines, whats that about?

Other than that, love the water, though not as blown away as I thought, but that might be because Im frantically looking out for attacks as opposed to watching the water pour out of ruptured tanks :-)

Good so far, although Stranglehold still has my heart at the moment. Vampire Rain blows so much it hurts, its like playing an early ps2 concept game.

Also, Game are selling this game with a Big Daddy figurine for anyone thats interested, for an extra £10, but you get the music CD and extra making DVD too I think.

Sgt Taz
08-15-2007, 08:50 AM
What do you guys think of it visually, does it compete with Gears?No.

thecallahan
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm gonna download this sucker when I get home tonight, thanks for the update. This, Mass Effect (saw a new video with gameplay in it :buttrock: ), Halo3 and CoD4 will keep me very happy for a long time to come. I need to beat the latest Zelda fast!

El Diablo
08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
No.

really!? I`d say it`s definately up there with gears.

El Diablo
08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Man, I need to pick up a 360. So much stuff coming out soon. I'm dying to try the demo for Stranglehold and now Bioshock...sonova... Next month I hope to pick one up. .

forgot to mention the stranglehold demo, seems like an excellent game. I love pulling off all those stylish slo-mo kills :buttrock:

Sgt Taz
08-15-2007, 09:44 AM
What do you guys think of it visually, does it compete with Gears?

really!? I`d say it`s definately up there with gears.Yeah I should have explained my answer better. Sure it competes with Gears, I guess you could say it's up there somewhere...but still not on the same level. Gears is still the King of graphs wich is pretty impressive considering how long it's been released. In the months to come though there will be some serious competition.

Sgt Taz
08-15-2007, 09:46 AM
forgot to mention the stranglehold demo, seems like an excellent game. I love pulling off all those stylish slo-mo kills :buttrock:
Yeah about that...all I kept thinking while playing was "this is cool...but Max Payne was better" (compared each in his own time). Basicaly Stranglehold did less for me than I expected.

thecallahan
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I love the Tequila power though where you zoom in and shoot. Do that and shoot them in the crotch and hilarity ensues! :laugh:

El Diablo
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah about that...all I kept thinking while playing was "this is cool...but Max Payne was better" (compared each in his own time). Basicaly Stranglehold did less for me than I expected.

I think what helped me was when I started playing it I wasn`t expecting much from it. So when it turned out to be quite playable it was a nice surprise :)

I love the Tequila power though where you zoom in and shoot. Do that and shoot them in the crotch and hilarity ensues! :laugh:

lol, that was the first shot I tried :laugh:

cougartrace
08-15-2007, 10:35 AM
This game was meant to be played on the PC as it looks and plays much better there.

El Diablo
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
This game was meant to be played on the PC as it looks and plays much better there.

that may be true but since the 360 costs alot less than just a decent graphics card (forgetting the rest of a pc!) for pretty much most of the performance I think i`ll stick with the 360 version :thumbs2:

thecallahan
08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I think what helped me was when I started playing it I wasn`t expecting much from it. So when it turned out to be quite playable it was a nice surprise :)

lol, that was the first shot I tried :laugh:

Do you know what the golden guns are supposed to do? They have a different firing sound and you get less bullets so I dunno..

Kujo
08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I haven't played the Bioshock demo yet (its downloaded just not had chance to play it), but those who are compairing it to Gears... Epic made Gears, and they have also developed the U3 engine, and therefore, IMO, will be able to use it better than any 3rd party company for a while. Until these tools are more widley used, Epic will still make the best looking games. Both games are visually stunning (i've seem lots of E3 vids of BS) and 3rd party developers are catching up pretty quickly with the new engine. Will have to see what Epic can do with UT2007 (or what ever they are calling it thse days as it won't be out in 2007, lol) and Unreal 3!!

As for Stranglehold, i enjoyed it. Its got a cool cinematic story and pretty good action sequences. There is so much to do around, its hard to know if doing the slo-mo kills will get boring or not.... I know i never got bored of Max Payne

snappahead
08-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, for me, Stranglehold looks like Max Payne with next gen eye candy. I got no problems with that. Looks like alotta fun.

As for Bioshock...from what I've seen, this is going to be a fun game because of the injection powers. The guns are practical, but the fun's going to be experimenting with the powers. I've seen some really cool ways of killing fools with the different traps and power chain combos. Looks like fun. It's not as pretty as Gears, but nothing is yet. Crysis will probably put Gears to the test, Gears is one sexy game. I thought it was kinda boring personally, but it sure is purdy.

El Diablo
08-16-2007, 03:25 AM
. Crysis will probably put Gears to the test, Gears is one sexy game. .

crysis does look like it`ll have some awesome graphics but it`s going to take a mother of a pc to get it looking it`s best.

snappahead
08-16-2007, 05:03 AM
crysis does look like it`ll have some awesome graphics but it`s going to take a mother of a pc to get it looking it`s best.

Very true. My pc's not that bad, but Crysis would probably give it a heart attack. I'm not even gonna bother picking it up. This is a game that would be a crime to play on a crappy pc. Crysis and "low settings" just seems wrong. I'd rather not even play it.

Kujo
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Crysis is gonna be amazing. it looks soooooo good. I really wanna play it, but even my PC (dual core 4800, GeForce 7900 GT, 2gig ram) which plays everything so far on full graphics will struggle.

I don't think i can justify paying £700 for a quadcore cpu and what-ever-silly-number-graphics-card we are up to to play 1 game.... looks like i'll have to wait a while :(

thecallahan
08-17-2007, 03:42 PM
So after playing the demo, instead of replying via text, I will show a picture I found that pretty well describes my feelings about the game.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/thecallahan/1187362182301.jpg

Kujo
08-17-2007, 03:49 PM
well described....

I've played the demo myself today and thought it was awesome... i wish i could afford a PC to run it though as i hate FPS games in a pad :banghead: no way can i justify spending nearly 1k on a PC for 2 games :(

Will still probably get it. Its out next week (UK) no?

IronFingaz
08-19-2007, 12:12 PM
I played it a couple of days ago and i thought it was great and a bit scary. I like the style they used with light and shadow and the '40s enviroment. It's released in denmark this friday and i'm getting the collector's edition with the soundtrack, bonus DVD and big daddy figure:buttrock:

cougartrace
08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
You can still play this on a PC with graphics that are not turned all the way up.

El Diablo
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
For those guys in the uk, fancy getting bioshock on the 360 for £23.00?
Go to littlewoodsdirect.com put bioshock into your basket then enter these promotional codes:
ZQ055 - £20 off + free delivery
XX276 - 10% off

That`ll bring the price down to £24.10 to get the remainder off use quidco.com for 4.5% cashback :thumbs2:

Oh and I love the comicstrip callahan lol!

El Diablo
08-20-2007, 03:06 PM
......and for everyone you can download the artwork book for the game (pdf file) for free here :

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/artbook.html

:thumbs2:

DSET
08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I have this game already
(dont ask me how:confused2 )
its an amazing game
its basically the most simple rpg elements you can think of, mixed with a fps
If youve played Clive bakers Undying there are some major similarities.
the storyline and artwork are out of this world
My only problem is its kind of fast paced shooting and the shooting isnt as accurate as I would like it to be
Im in Arcadia right now I think its the 4th stage

I'd say this is my 3rd fav game on the 360
-gears
-GRAW2
-Bioshock

snappahead
08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I'll hopefully be able to pick this up tomorrow. I had to buy a 360 today just so I could get this, Stranglehold and Halo 3. Great time to have a 360...as long as it works. I hope mine will hold out for a little bit at least.

DSET
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
I'll hopefully be able to pick this up tomorrow. I had to buy a 360 today just so I could get this, Stranglehold and Halo 3. Great time to have a 360...as long as it works. I hope mine will hold out for a little bit at least.
its the perfect time to buy a 360

did u buy a premium with an hdmi???
incase you didnt know they are including them slowly
so if you got one without keep youre reciept handy

Model Giants
08-20-2007, 06:47 PM

I would have to disagree with you...The game looks flawless at 1080p on the Xbox 360..

DSET
08-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I would have to disagree with you...The game looks flawless at 1080p on the Xbox 360..

I'm sure he understands that but it will run alot better on the pc.

I have the full version of the game and theres an option to turn up the framerate and it says will sacrifice some of the visual quality to do so.

Thats a big negative in my book especially considering this is only the 2nd year in 360s lifespan and they are already maxxing it out.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

these are consoles supposed to be able to handle everything you throw at it for at least 3 or 4 years

Frinky
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
I have a 360 and great pc (two bfg 8800 gts). Only Supreme Commander max'ed out skips framerates. I'm getting Bioshock for the pc because it will look better and the mouse and keyboard control.

cougartrace
08-21-2007, 09:15 AM
mouse and keyboard control for me is crucial. I just can use two thumbsticks at the same time to move and shoot :banghead:

snappahead
08-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah, if my PC was up to specs, I'd get this for it, but it's not really. I could run it, but I'd have to lower everything enough that it'd bug me. Mouse/keyboard is definitely the best way to go for fps.

Yep..I had to check around, but I found a 360 with an hdmi port that was made last month, so it's a brand new model. Hopefully, it'll last.

Just played the Stranglehold demo and loved it. It's pretty much what I expected which is a good thing. Time to go pick up Bioshock:buttrock:

Frinky
08-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Bioshock is great a definate buy. I'm playing it 1680x1050 maxed out dx9 on the pc. Looks great.

Kujo
08-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I upgraded my PC this time last year, and it seems games skipped that generation. :banghead:

I'd much prefer to play this on PC, but i can't afford to pay another 700+ quid on a new mobo, gfx and cpu :(

Car50n
09-05-2007, 03:05 PM
rockin on core 2 duo E6550, with radeon HD 2600 XT on Vista x64. textures look great in DirectX 10. but i rather keep things running smooth and drop it to Dx9 mode for a slight boost in framerates.

wish i had a 8800 GTS but the radeon is a great buy for the price

cougartrace
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
I upgraded my PC this time last year, and it seems games skipped that generation. :banghead:

I'd much prefer to play this on PC, but i can't afford to pay another 700+ quid on a new mobo, gfx and cpu :(

I don't have a great video card. It's okay and I was able to play the Bioshock Demo on my PC using Widescreen and it looks fantastic :buttrock:

bat_collector
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
I love this game

El Diablo
09-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I love this game

ditto, just getting into this now. Graphics are awesome, definately up there with the best on the 360. The atomsphere the game creates is incredible, it`s also one game I can see myself playing again just because there`s so many ways you can tackle enemies with different plasmid/weapon combos.
And this is one game i`d LOVE to see turned into a film :buttrock:

Hellboy
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I just bought Bioshock for the 360, put it in for the first time last night, and played it for 8 hours straight. :eek: This game is brilliant from top to bottom. Its been a long time since I've become this invested in a game. Easily the best X-BOX 360 game to date and one of the best FPS I've ever played. :buttrock:

Colossal
09-18-2007, 04:28 AM
Its rare for me to go back to games, but after a couple of days clocking it once, Ive already jumped back in to find more gun stations to upgrade all weapons and now to try the other option with the little girls.

I must be a bit of a p**sy, I actually feel bad for harvesting them now!

IronFist
09-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I absolutely hate FPS on consoles, but I'm addicted to this game. I went out and bought Stranglehold (couldn't wait to get my hands on it) and Bioshock on the same day, and I've yet to even take the shrinkwrap off of Stranglehold because I've been playing nothing but this.

Colossal
09-19-2007, 07:07 AM
I just saw a big daddy catapult across the screen flipping in the air as the last of his energy was taking off by backing into a proximity mine. If thats not gaming gold, I dont know what is. :-)