PDA

View Full Version : NINTENDO RETURNS TO GLORY!!!

Primal
08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
They're back as the leader of the pack. :buttrock:
And the others had a year's headstart. :laugh:

Lifetime sales of 10.57 Million units surpassing the other 2.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7639/ngsalescm1.jpg

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=508
Vgchartz.com, the most comprehensive Videogame charts in the world has announced that lifetime sales of Nintendo's Wii have passed Microsoft's Xbox 360 on a worldwide basis as of August 23rd. (*)

Two years ago, very few analysts would have predicted the Nintendo Wii would be market leader this generation against the established Playstation and Xbox brands. But analysts can be in error: Vgchartz.com data, which is based on sample data from retailers all over the world indicates that the week ending August 23rd Nintendo's Wii (which was released one year after the Xbox 360 in November 2006), currently standing at 10.57 million consoles sold, passed Xbox 360 lifetime sales of 10.51 million units, making Nintendo the new market leader in both the home and handheld videogame console businesses.

As weekly data from vgchartz.com shows(**), the console outsold Microsoft’s Xbox 360 by a margin of 2.3 : 1 worldwide on average each week since its release, selling at an even faster rate than the most successful console ever created, Sony's Playstation 2, despite still being sold out in most major markets.

This is the first time that a company has been market leader in the home console and the handheld market since 1994 when Nintendo’s Super NES and Gameboy dominated worldwide.

Vgchartz.com is proud to be first to announce this major sales cross over as an independent tracker of sales and expect this to be a milestone for the current generation. In just two years, home console sales for the three major manufacturers have effectively reversed. This will have a large impact on third party publishers and will undoubtedly influence the decisions they make in the future.

One factor that has no doubt helped Nintendo's Wii to gain so quickly is the console's broad appeal across all age groups, demographics and countries. Current sales are pretty evenly split between the three major markets – 3.46 million have been sold in Japan, the American market (including Canada and South America) accounts for 4.24million and Other markets (including Europe and Australia and a few niche markets) for 2.87 million units sold, respectively.

Justin
08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
wow! this is awesome news! As a life long Nintendo fan I'm very happy to hear this:thumbs2:

xreynoldsxcorex
08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Hardware sales for July:
1) Wii - 425,000
2) DS - 405,000
3) PS2 - 222,000
4) PSP - 214,000
5) 360 - 170,000
6) PS3 - 159,000
7) GBA - 87,000

poor ps3 can only beat the Gameboy Advance at this point.

Nintendo is best!

thecallahan
08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Now I love my Wii and 360 but to be fair, the 360 is the better machine of the two. But I wonder how popular the Wii would be if it was around the same price as the other two big guns. I say that because I've had the Wii for about 3-4 months now and only have Zelda and don't see myself buying anything except for Metroid and Mario in the near future.

cougartrace
08-24-2007, 08:53 AM
now Ninendo just needs to get some worthwhile games to the market and create a decent online experience (that character crap with the Big Head has to be scrapped)

RichBamf
08-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I can't believe that the Japanese like the PS3 better than the 360!?! :banghead:

bat_collector
08-24-2007, 09:58 AM
wow! now the third party publishers will be coming in droves

The General
08-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I haven’t been a hardcore gamer for a while now and I’m not a fan of the Wii but this awesome news. Always loved Nintendo and I love my DS. This is also awesome because I hate Sony. The PS3 hasn’t been successful on the video game front and hasn’t been the death blow in the format wars. I love it.:buttrock:

Daredevil
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Hardware sales for July:
1) Wii - 425,000
2) DS - 405,000
3) PS2 - 222,000
4) PSP - 214,000
5) 360 - 170,000
6) PS3 - 159,000
7) GBA - 87,000

poor ps3 can only beat the Gameboy Advance at this point.

Nintendo is best!

nice to see PS2 still doing well. even better than 360

Kujo
08-24-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't understand the appeal of the Wii. I bought the Wii simply for Zelda. I have interest in any of the other games that are out on the console, and most 3rd party games, i'd rather play on the 360.

Like thecallahan said, the 360 is the better console and has a solid line up of games, and the best (better than PC IMO) online experience there is.

This touch-screen/wii-mote gimmick will soon run its course

cougartrace
08-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Most of the kids in my neighborhood are already sick of the wii...not good enough graphics, the online experience sucks, and the games well there are none

Kujo
08-24-2007, 02:33 PM
like i said, i only bought it because it was hard work to get hold of Zelda on the GameCube.

I might sell it at x-mas if the demand is still up and pick on up later when more comes out, lol

El Diablo
08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
What would be more intresting would be to see what the average amount of games people own for each system (my bet is 360 would be way out in front). I say this because the wii is very much an impulse buy and in this case console sales don`t tell the whole picture.

loricstone
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Now how is this for irony. I had been a lifelong Nintendo fan since the 8-bit NES, and no one could tell me they weren't number1, even up to and including the Gamecube. Now that I don't own a Wii (I did at one point), I could care less about Nintendo (even though I still think they make the all around best games in the industry). Go figure! I could tell you why I can't stand this Nintendo system, but I will leave that on my own forum.

scott
08-24-2007, 08:55 PM
I have held out on getting any of the big 3, but I'am leaning toward the Wi so I can enjoy it with the family.

Kujo
08-25-2007, 05:22 AM
I agree Diablo. I think there are a lot of people that have bought one just for the gimmick of the wii-mote so they can play bowling and tennis etc *snoooooooooooooze*

These games are good for a few hours, but soon get tiresome. Ninendo need to start releasing some new, original games.... and by that i don't mean rehashes of all their old titles like yet another mario party, mario platfomer, mario tennis, mario golf.... we've all "been there, done that" countless times on all there previous consoles....

Primal
08-25-2007, 08:34 AM
I have held out on getting any of the big 3, but I'am leaning toward the Wi so I can enjoy it with the family.

That's a major reason why it's done so well. It's appealed to all age groups regardless of having previously played videogames or not.

Spatial.Archite
08-25-2007, 09:20 AM
What would be more intresting would be to see what the average amount of games people own for each system (my bet is 360 would be way out in front). I say this because the wii is very much an impulse buy and in this case console sales don`t tell the whole picture.

From what I've read the Xbox 360 has sold around 60 million units of software worldwide. The Wii has sold around 37 million units worldwide. So the 360 currently has a better attachment ratio than Nintendo, but the real question is how was the 360's attachment ratio 9 - 10 months of the console?

It wouldn't be surprising if by Christmas 2008 Nintendo has a much higher software attachment ratio than the Xbox 360. People complain about the Wii's lack of software thus far, but the first 8 months of the 360's lifespan was basically anemic.

xreynoldsxcorex
08-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Weekly Japanese sales chart has nintendo all over the place, but no microsoft

1. Mario Party 8 (Wii) - 112,724 / 616,000
02. SD Gundam G Generation Cross Drive (DS) - 48,321 / 186,000
03. Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber (DS) - 47,730 / 93,000
04. Wii Sports (Wii) - 35,430 / 2,035,000
05. Wii Play (Wii) - 32,939 / 1,639,000
06. My Housekeeping Diary (DS) - 32,714 / 122,000
07. J.League Winning Eleven 2007: Club Championship (PS2) - 32,210 / 227,000
08. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) - 31,897 / 756,000
09. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) - 29,979 / 4,729,000
10. Hot Shots Golf 5 (PS3) - 28,044 / 278,000
11. Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (DS)
12. Mario Kart DS (DS)
13. More Brain Age (DS)
14. Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System (PS2)
15. It's A Wonderful World (DS)
16. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (PS2)
17. Animal Crossing Wild World (DS)
18. Brain Age (DS)
19. Itadaki Street DS (DS)
20. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Wii)
21. Naruto: Saikyo Ninja Daikesshu 5 (DS)
22. More English Training (DS)
23. Pokémon Diamond (DS)
24. Face Training DS (DS)
25. Zettai Onkan Otoda Master (DS)
26. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (PSP)
27. Pokémon Pearl (DS)
28. English Training (DS)
29. Yoshi's Island DS (DS)
30. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Wii (Wii)

Kujo
08-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Thats kiiiiiiinda unfair to the xbox as there aren't many games that interest the Japs yet. Notice that there is only 1 PS3 game in there too?

The Japs just dig Nintendo, they make the crazy games that Japs go nuts for. In the west, we don't tend to go for the crazy rpgs or a lot of the gimmicky games that are on the Wii.

I doubt this trend will continue much longer. I think the main reason the Wii is doing so well is because its the cheapest and its easy to just "pick-up-and-play".....for a while

xreynoldsxcorex
08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
For others besides the "Japs" to not be going crazy for rpgs and gimmicks WOW must have its millions of subscribers only in Korea I guess

noseeb13
08-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Well next week is going to be great for the Wii. Metroid Prime 3:buttrock:

Spatial.Archite
08-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I agree Diablo. I think there are a lot of people that have bought one just for the gimmick of the wii-mote so they can play bowling and tennis etc *snoooooooooooooze*

These games are good for a few hours, but soon get tiresome. Ninendo need to start releasing some new, original games.... and by that i don't mean rehashes of all their old titles like yet another mario party, mario platfomer, mario tennis, mario golf.... we've all "been there, done that" countless times on all there previous consoles....

That's an easy argument to use on any system; "I think there are a lot of people who bought an Xbox 360 just for the gimmick of better graphics."

Generally one of the first questions asked is, "How does it look?" Which is the very definition of a gimmick... to be more focused on the flashy object meant to draw your attention instead of the product itself.

To really play devil's advocate, the most likely question you'll get regarding Wii games is, "How well does it play?" or "Is it fun?"

So Wii owners first impressions/questions pertain to the actual product (game-play) and its effectiveness/interaction. Xbox 360 owners first impression/question pertains to the gimmick of better graphics, and not the actual product (game-play).

Not a blanket statement by any means, just an interesting way to look at it.

Justin
08-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I have both a Wii & 360. The Wii wins hands down when it comes to playabilty and fun the 2 main things I look for in a system and games! :thumbs2:

MrYac
08-26-2007, 07:37 PM
i love nintendo, always have always will. i enjoy my wii, but you guys are right there aren't enough games for it, thats nintendos problem with every system. theres no argument they own the party game industry, their games are amazingly fun with 4 people, but they need to get their act together with online, every single one of their games thats made for more then 1 person should have online abilities.

also i agree that they need to start making games that aren't motion controlled, the wii-mote is fun, but like all nintendo gimmics if they insist on clinging to it for every aspect of the system it will quickly became a pointless novelty. but with that said Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be the best game of the year without question :D

Justin
08-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be the best game of the year without question :D

This is the game I'm pumped for also! the 1st was brilliant! :buttrock:

Primal
08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
but with that said Super Smash Brothers Brawl will be the best game of the year without question :D

Agreed! I'm hyped that Pit from Kid Icarus is back! :buttrock:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8863/92851820060510screen009nm1.jpg

cougartrace
08-27-2007, 09:10 AM
pffff.Nintendo get some decent games..get rid that of that awful wii character and get a decent online system then will talk

Bartholomew
08-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Go Nintendo!! Glad they're back on top.
Innovative + Fun>>>>>>>> over rated graphics

Wolverine1
08-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Nintendo! :buttrock:

Wolverine1
08-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Super Smash Brothers! :buttrock:

Justin
08-28-2007, 09:51 AM
pffff.Nintendo get some decent games..get rid that of that awful wii character and get a decent online system then will talk

they are called Mii's and they are awesome! :buttrock:

also what is a "decent" game in your opinion?

I do agree the online stuff needs improving

chromesamurai
08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Decent games for the Wii?

Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3

Plus more are coming. The system is still an infant, as is the PS3. That's why I haven't yet verbally destroyed the PS3. But they need to have some good stuff by next X-Mas. Right now, I think the Wii has more good games than the PS3 at the moment.

Crom
08-28-2007, 10:30 AM
I think there are probably a lot of gamers out there that bought their 360 or PS3 and also bought the Wii.

I really think the price point combined with the inventiveness of game play really makes it a winner. Even if there aren't a lot of games yet, you don't feel like you wasted a lot of money.

cougartrace
08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
The key for this thing are the 10-20 year olds. Since they are the key gaming demographic. Most of the kids in my area are already bored with the Wii and have disconnected it. Like I said earlier, lack of online play with the new games just not getting out there. I agree that most people own both so that they can get their great GEARS OF WAR play and then go play Mario when they feel like it.
They just keep going to back to the 360...

cougartrace
08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Super Smash Brothers! :buttrock:

My son, who is 10, list this game as the only game he looks forward to on the Wii.

Primal
08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
The key for this thing are the 10-20 year olds.

I dont think that's the case anymore. The reason the Wii has done so well is because it's appealed to a much broader age range due to it's innovative setup.

I know quite a few people older than 20 who normally wouldnt play videogames who were excited to get this to play at parties, with families or otherwise.

cougartrace
08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I dont think that's the case anymore. The reason the Wii has done so well is because it's appealed to a much broader age range due to it's innovative setup.

I know quite a few people older than 20 who normally wouldnt play videogames who were excited to get this to play at parties, with families or otherwise.

oh you are right primal, but studies show that 10-20 buy more games

Justin
08-28-2007, 08:09 PM

I couldn’t agree with this more, I'll give you an example.

My soon to be father in law who has never owned or played a games console in his life came over one night and I asked him if he wanted to have a game of golf? he said nah he doesn’t like computer games so I suggested he should try this new version of the game. Well needless to say he loved it and he now owns a Wii and plays it a few times a week. Nintendo has done with the Wii what every supplier of any product dreams of. It has expanded it's customer base by incredible amounts and that my friends is one of the key reasons the Wii is the number one selling system at the moment and will be staying that way for a long time! :thumbs2:

noseeb13
08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Decent games for the Wii?

Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3

Plus more are coming. The system is still an infant, as is the PS3. That's why I haven't yet verbally destroyed the PS3. But they need to have some good stuff by next X-Mas. Right now, I think the Wii has more good games than the PS3 at the moment.
Both Rayman and Wario Ware were good titles too. Especially for groups of people.

I just got Metroid today, so that is what will be taking up my free time for a while :buttrock:

Primal
08-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Both Rayman and Wario Ware were good titles too. Especially for groups of people.

I just got Metroid today, so that is what will be taking up my free time for a while :buttrock:

Yup...my brother plays WarioWare all the time. And thanx for the reminder...gotta get the new Metroid. :buttrock:

Vice
08-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Wii:buttrock: :thumbs2:

MrYac
08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
This is the game I'm pumped for also! the 1st was brilliant! :buttrock:

Agreed! I'm hyped that Pit from Kid Icarus is back! :buttrock:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8863/92851820060510screen009nm1.jpg

hopefully it'll be online so i can whoop you all from the comfort of my own home ;)

xreynoldsxcorex
09-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Okay
Metroid is freaking amazing!!

Justin
09-02-2007, 08:38 AM
hopefully it'll be online so i can whoop you all from the comfort of my own home ;)

:laugh:

O yeah that would be awesome! :)

noseeb13
09-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Okay
Metroid is freaking amazing!!

Oh yeah :buttrock:
Best controls ever!

By the way I read a post on another forum that Metroid Prime 3 is outselling Bioshock. Apparently it sold 400,000 units its first week, although I don't know how many units of Bioshock have been sold so far.

I think that is quite a feat considering all the buzz about Bioshock.

chromesamurai
09-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Finally got a Wii for the household. I don't have anything other than Wii Sports and Wii Play, but we're enjoying it.

Wesley Pierce
09-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Hell, I'm still playing the Gamecube... My "console" is my computer. Go PC/Mac! We will outsell all gaming machines.

LOL

wingfoot
10-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Im not putting down the other companies, but i like the games that Nintendo puts out.:buttrock:

Justin
10-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Im not putting down the other companies, but i like the games that Nintendo puts out.:buttrock:

I'm with you wingfoot! :thumbs2:

Red X
10-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't understand the appeal of the Wii. I bought the Wii simply for Zelda. I have interest in any of the other games that are out on the console, and most 3rd party games, i'd rather play on the 360.

Like thecallahan said, the 360 is the better console and has a solid line up of games, and the best (better than PC IMO) online experience there is.

This touch-screen/wii-mote gimmick will soon run its course

Wait, you said you have interest in any of the other games? Ok so then what's the problem?

There are games that come out for the Wii that you can't get on the other consoles: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, Battalion Wars 2, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, etc...and all are or will be great games to own.

And while I love my classic control scheme of my PS3, I find the wii controls and the DS touch screen very intuitive.

Sniper
10-13-2007, 06:14 PM
I can't believe that the Japanese like the PS3 better than the 360!?! :banghead:
they hate bill gates,
wii an sony are asian companies