PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Question..

Nightcrawler777
09-04-2007, 11:17 AM
I know a bunch of you guys have PS3s..
So i have a question...

Is the DVD player on the PS3 Region Free???

I have been thinking of picking one up and if the Player is Region Free that would be all the More reason to pick one up..

I have a Ton of DVDs from Different Regions and am not in love with my Current Region Free Player..

Thanks for reading guys...
Let me know..

Spatial.Archite
09-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I would have to assume no as Sony could have some legal issues. Most likely there's a mod (if not yet, one in the future) that would render the PS3 region free.

El Diablo
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
no it`s not region free, and there aren`t hacks available short of getting it chipped. Though i`ve never really looked into the PS3 chips and whats available.

CocoPUFF
09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
can any HDMI cable fit into the ps3? or does it have to be a specific type?

Weapon X
09-04-2007, 03:45 PM

I'm using the HDMI cable I used for my upconversion dvd player, and it works fine. Nothing expensive just a (HDMI) cable I bought through ebay for couple of bucks.

El Diablo
09-04-2007, 05:33 PM

yes any will work and don`t worry about spending silly money on one. In hdmi`s case a cheap cable is just as good as one that costs hundreds (unless your talking cable lengths over 10m)

CocoPUFF
09-04-2007, 07:31 PM
sweet! Thanks guys!

Sam Wilson
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I can play japanese blue rays on my ps3, I got ghost in the shell 1 and 2 on blue ray from japan and both play fine....

noseeb13
09-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I can play japanese blue rays on my ps3, I got ghost in the shell 1 and 2 on blue ray from japan and both play fine....

Games are totally Region Free, but movies may not be. I just read a little excerpt that says Japan and the US share the same region for Blu-ray, don't know about other regions though.
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=79388

Spatial.Archite
09-05-2007, 02:29 AM
One thing I'd like to point out; if you use an HDMI cable and have to call Sony support, just tell them you're using the cables that came with the system. Using an unlicensed cable voids your warranty; which is asinine, but I figure I would share the info.

El Diablo
09-05-2007, 12:48 PM

With blu-rays it`s down to the film studios whether or not they enforce region locking, which is why some are region free and some aren`t. But all dvd`s (what nightcrawler was asking about) are region locked on the PS3 :thumbs2:

CocoPUFF
09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
One thing I'd like to point out; if you use an HDMI cable and have to call Sony support, just tell them you're using the cables that came with the system. Using an unlicensed cable voids your warranty; which is asinine, but I figure I would share the info.

why wouldn't it work?