PDA

View Full Version : Why is everything on the PS3 Delayed??

abarron
09-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Why is everything on the PS3 delayed

GTA 4 is another 6 months away, Stranglehold is now another 6 weeks and The Darkness was late too.

Why is everything on the PS3 getting delayed??

It can't be that difficult to just port XBOX 360 games can it??

I guess that the way things are gonna be.
I want to order the limited edition Assassins greed but not if its gonna be put back by 2 months:thumbsdow

Ink
09-10-2007, 04:45 PM
it has something to do with the PS3 processor, apparently it's difficult to format to

Zurbaran1
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Heavenly Sword isn't delayed. It will ship this week and from everything I've seen it is going to be an awesome game.

abarron
09-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Ok yeah Heavenly Sword looks sweet and i will be picking that up for sure.
Was kinda looking forward to Stranglehold too though

Natrix
09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Because it is a blu ray player marketed as a video game system...that is Sony's hook into getting people to buy a Blu Ray player.

People that buy it have to have something else to do until games start coming along, so buy some Blu Ray movies. :p

snappahead
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Yep..your'e right and it is irritating. If you wanna blame anyone, I guess it's gotta go to Sony. They have a bad habit of making consoles that are not developer friendly. The 360's basically a PC, so developers aren't having too much trouble with it, but everything on the PS3 is going to be more complicated to develop.

Heavenly Sword's an exclusive, so it's been developed for a long time only with the PS3 in mind. I think that's helped it's development time.

Brru
09-11-2007, 01:54 AM
New programming language used only for the PS3 makes things very complicated. Programmers need to learn brand new stuff just to program the same game on the 360.

El Diablo
09-11-2007, 03:31 AM
you`d of thought sony would`ve learnt it`s lesson with the the ps2 by making a console easier to develope for this time. But it`s just another example of their arrogance in thinking developers will just get on with it, well now it`s backfiring on them as games get delayed or even cancelled. Also at the moment the 360 has a bigger installed base and is easier to develope for making the ps3 even less attractive to developers. Oh and from the reviews i`ve seen heavenly sword is very average, just a second rate god of war clone :( .
I downloaded the trailer for mgs (the one showing actual gameplay) and even though I`ve never like the game it looked very boring with not particularly great graphics :thumbsdow

abarron
10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Lair has now been put back to november :banghead: :banghead:

cougartrace
10-01-2007, 09:50 AM

all the early reviews on LAIR says it sucks anyway

Endless Wake
10-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Sony recently promised to make gaming the main focus of the PS3 and not Blu-Ray, and will work with game developers to make their jobs easier.

Maybe next year if they got their house in order I'll get one, but for now I have no reason to.

Johnneeukca
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Sony recently promised to make gaming the main focus of the PS3 and not Blu-Ray, and will work with game developers to make their jobs easier.

Maybe next year if they got their house in order I'll get one, but for now I have no reason to.

Same here. I have a PS2 already and it's good enough for now. I'll wait.

CocoPUFF
10-01-2007, 12:11 PM

WHAAA? Are we talking about the dragon game? Cuz that's been out for a while now....

Kujo
10-01-2007, 01:54 PM
The reason games take so long to come out is because the PS3 has completely different architecture in the CPU to the 360 and thus far more complicated to develop for. Sony have never provided many user-friendly tools for developers to use since they started in the console market.

To port a game to the PS3 requires quite a big re-write of code to make it work on the Cell cpu which causes the delays. Like someone above said, Heavenly Sword is an exclusive and so they have not had to make 2 games in effect. Killzone 2 will probably be the same, but i would have though most of the PS3 games will be delayed for at least another 6-12 months, till the developers know how to use the hardware to maximum potential.

riderV3
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
The reason games take so long to come out is because the PS3 has completely different architecture in the CPU to the 360 and thus far more complicated to develop for. Sony have never provided many user-friendly tools for developers to use since they started in the console market.

To port a game to the PS3 requires quite a big re-write of code to make it work on the Cell cpu which causes the delays. Like someone above said, Heavenly Sword is an exclusive and so they have not had to make 2 games in effect. Killzone 2 will probably be the same, but i would have though most of the PS3 games will be delayed for at least another 6-12 months, till the developers know how to use the hardware to maximum potential.

Well said.

And the insane amount of excessive cost will go nowhere but all the consumers(we)...:banghead:

Kujo
10-01-2007, 03:42 PM
exactly... As The General has been saying all along, Sony just HAVE to make the most expensive (and in the PS3 and blue ray's case, unfinished!) hardware around and until now, people have been willing to pay it. I think Sony has gone too far this time and its not doing them any favours

abarron
10-02-2007, 12:15 PM
WHAAA? Are we talking about the dragon game? Cuz that's been out for a while now....

We are so far behind in the uk.
Ratatouille isn't out at the cinemas till later this month and it was in cinemas back in july when i was at SDCC

CocoPUFF
10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
We are so far behind in the uk.
Ratatouille isn't out at the cinemas till later this month and it was in cinemas back in july when i was at SDCC

just buy a cheap one off ebay and by the time you pay shipping, you've paid retail for it or close to. Then you can brag to all your friends that you have LAIR and "I had to get it imported from the states...its cool though, I import so much stuff from the states, I kind of have a connection..." See! all of a sudden you become 'the cool guy that has everything before everyone else':buttrock: ..

Red X
10-05-2007, 05:09 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825213p1.html

New 40GB model and price cut.

PS3 games are delayed because blu-ray is new and developers are just learning how to tap the potential. Give it a few years but after they know the ins and outs of Blu-ray PS3 games will be surpassing 360 games in every aspect.

snappahead
10-05-2007, 06:49 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825213p1.html

New 40GB model and price cut.

PS3 games are delayed because blu-ray is new and developers are just learning how to tap the potential. Give it a few years but after they know the ins and outs of Blu-ray PS3 games will be surpassing 360 games in every aspect.

The delays have NOTHING to do with Blu Ray. About the only thing we'll ever see the extra space on the bd used for is uncompressed cutscenes. They'll use that space, but it's mostly to keep things uncompressed. That's a good thing, to be sure, but anyone who thinks it's going to give us extra content is only setting themselves up for disappointment.

We all know why the development on the PS3 is slow. Cause Sony designed the damn thing. They always make these alien technologies in their systems. Developers WILL figure it out and in 4 or 5 years, will be using the system to it's full potential, but until then, it's going to continue to make developers struggle.

Bullseye
10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Note on new model: The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

Thats 65 titles by Christmas.

snappahead
10-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Note on new model: The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

Thats 65 titles by Christmas.

Really? Man, I glad I got mine set up when I did then. That sucks.

Bullseye
10-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't see the problem myself. Its a cheap games console with BD 1080p capability. By this time next year there will be over 100 games available. Also i am sure there will be a firmware update to allow PS2 game compatibility down the line.

snappahead
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't see the problem myself. Its a cheap games console with BD 1080p capability. By this time next year there will be over 100 games available.

It's a cheapER bd player..not a cheap game console..let's at least agree on that. In the US it's now $400. That's still alotta money. Yeah, the 360 is also expensive. I understand what you're saying, though. Thing is..the PS2 was king of the hill for so long cause of Joe Sixpack and company not guys like you or even me. PS3 and 360 is still considered too much money by a good portion of the public. Hence the lower sales for all consoles...except the Wii...which is priced just about right for the average (casual) gamer.

Bullseye
10-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I guess. Ireland is fast becoming like Japan. Expensive so $400 seems cheap to me but then again I ain't living in the USA trying to survive on $400.

These consoles are in a way similar to LCD and Plasmas when they first came out. Expensive but given time they will become cheaper. I think people are too quick to jump on the hate for PS3. They need to give it time. It will live up to peoples expectations (gamers) in a year or so. Its already living up to mine as a BD player.

BTW i discovered i can view 1080i on the LCD:)

Kujo
10-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Among other things, THAT is why PS3 games are delayed:

http://statueforum.com/showpost.php?p=1447665&postcount=20

Oh, and Snappahead is right... the only thing BD will give is uncompressed sound, cutscenes and textures... games don't even fill a regular DVD at the moment with compressed audio/textures.