PDA

View Full Version : Chalk Pastels, what brands you use? And which brush to use?

Roc74
09-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Hello, I was wondering which brands of chalk pastels you use and where do you get them. I tried Loew and Cornell (sp?) and another brand (forgot its name atm) and I cant seem to get the powder to stick?

I mainly concern at shading 1/6 faces at the moment, so what size you recomend, I currtly was trying to use a size 4 is that to big?

Thanks in advance for your help

cblakey1
09-18-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't think the brand matters as much as the technique. You have to scrape the chalk real good to create a powder, then use smudge sticks to apply it to your sculpt. Once you get a nice base, hit it with Dulcote or some type of finish. Let it dry, then ad some more until you get your desired effect.

Sometimes, depending on what and where I'm shading, I will also apply it with my fingers.

That's what works for me. I never use brushes.

Danno
09-18-2007, 09:10 AM
I haven't used pastels in a very long time.
They are great in helping to create a bit of an airbrush shaded feel, without an airbrush.

Any chalk pastel should work fine. Just be sure that you grind the chalk into a very fine powder. When using them, I used Micro Mark drybrush brushes, these work perfect!

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=81082

Vince-Vell
09-18-2007, 09:43 AM
There is your basic two types of pastels, the soft kind and the hard kind.

Either one will work depending on how well you scrape and chop up for a fine powder.

The soft kind has more of a oilish feel, while the hard kind is more critty. Best thing to do if find a art store that sells single sticks of various brands. Places like pearl art store do this.

Then just buy one color from each brand and try them out till you find the one you like best. Then you can buy up a tin of that brand.

Once you are done brushing mist the dullcoat on it to set it, If you spray to close and get those areas you brushed on it will bleed. Once misted, do it again to make sure it sets.

Roc74
09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey Guys, appreciate your feedback.

cblakey when I first read your post, i read into it that you need to do a "scraping" action when applying the powder to the model. So I did this rather then just keep "dabbing" the brush on the model. by doing the scraping motiion, seems the powder is now sticking. I now see you meant to scrape the pastle stick to get the powder, which i have been doing with sandpaper. But your post helped out thanks!

Also Danno, I have an airbrush (iwata Eclipse CS) and cant seem to do shading on the face because of how small the 1/6 features are, granted im still new with airbrush though. So I thought that for the face shading Chalk pastels was the way to go.

Vince-Vell, yeah I noticed that even though the two brands I bought are CHALK pastels, one does seem mre mushier then the the other. The one that is more rigid, on the box it reads as "compressed" chalk pastels, so not sure if that was the difference. But seems like once its ground up doesn't matter much.

For the guys that use a brush for this technique, just curious what size brush you use for 1/6 Face shading?

Thanks again guys

Vince-Vell
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
0, 1, 2, 3 Size brushes work fine.

Depending on the area or spot i will use the brush needed.

To scrape my pastels, i hold the stick at a angle and scrap/edge down with a exacto blade.Then when i get a pile of dust, i chop it a bit with the exacto knife or crush it a bit with some of my metal tools. I find this grants me a finer dust.

Dont scrap down like you are going to widdle wood, but rather like you are trying to sharpen the exacto blade.

Danno
09-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Also Danno, I have an airbrush (iwata Eclipse CS) and cant seem to do shading on the face because of how small the 1/6 features are, granted im still new with airbrush though. So I thought that for the face shading Chalk pastels was the way to go.

I use a Badger Sotar 20/20 and I airbrush 99% of all the faces that I paint. The Iwata Eclipse CS is not a fine detailing airbrush. Great for doing base coats and basic shading/highlights, but not really for smaller detail shading like the Sotar. The airbrush will provide much finer and smoother transitions. The thing I never like about pastels...is that up close, pastels tend to make the figure (especially skin) look dirty.

If you are not looking to upgrade your airbrush, you may want to consider using powder womens makeup (you know, like different color eye shadows and such), these powders are much much finer than chalk pastels and come in very natural skin tones (Hey these make-up companies spend millions on research and development for perfect colors that woman will wear on their face...so you know it will work on your kit). Use them just like pastels, brush them on, seal them in with Testors Dullcote.

There is your basic two types of pastels, the soft kind and the hard kind.

Either one will work depending on how well you scrape and chop up for a fine powder.

The soft kind has more of a oilish feel, while the hard kind is more critty. Best thing to do if find a art store that sells single sticks of various brands. Places like pearl art store do this.

Then just buy one color from each brand and try them out till you find the one you like best. Then you can buy up a tin of that brand.

Once you are done brushing mist the dullcoat on it to set it, If you spray to close and get those areas you brushed on it will bleed. Once misted, do it again to make sure it sets.

Hey John,

I highly suggest that people do not use oil pastels on kits. They do not grind up and make a big mess. If you have to use pastels, chalk pastels are the way to go.

Vince-Vell
09-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey John,

I highly suggest that people do not use oil pastels on kits. They do not grind up and make a big mess. If you have to use pastels, chalk pastels are the way to go.

Oh i didnt mean oil pastels, i ment some chalk pastels have a softer feel to them which seems oilish to me. Guess you could call those the cheepo brands. Sometimes i need to be more clear while wrtting stuff at work trying to hide from my boss LOL. :confused2

If you are not looking to upgrade your airbrush, you may want to consider using powder womens makeup (you know, like different color eye shadows and such), these powders are much much finer than chalk pastels and come in very natural skin tones (Hey these make-up companies spend millions on research and development for perfect colors that woman will wear on their face...so you know it will work on your kit). Use them just like pastels, brush them on, seal them in with Testors Dullcote.

Damn you! Now im gonna be going to macys make up counters asking about shades of color........BUT that might be a greay way to meet those make up ladies! :sly2:

Roc74
09-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Hey guys, once again, thanks for the feedback... You know I had thought about the womens make thing before, but thought it didnt work (maybe cause of chemcial recation to Dullcoat or soemthing like) since I havent heard of that till now.