PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

Great Destroyer
09-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Lets face it...this is the greatest television series ever created...ever. The only way any TV show could compare with this syndicated juggernaut is if it has a reference to it. that's why Mtv sucks, spike, Tmc, the list goes on.

Sure the acting isn't spectacular, and the special effects are sub-par (for those days they sure as hell weren't though, near real back then) but the writing and characters entertain me like no other Tv series could ever try to...that is...except for Scrubs(but that makes a reference to star trek anyway)

Anyway, i just think this fact needs to be stated so people don't get confused about good and bad television.
Live long and prosper,
Green3y A.K.A. Great Destroyer :thumbs2:

CessnaDriver
09-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Nothing comes close.

:thumbs2:

http://www.area51radiostation.com/images/tos_002.jpg

http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/Graphics/40th-master-big-n-merged_web.jpg

rilynil
09-23-2007, 09:38 PM
You're right, Great Destroyer!

Kirk ROCKS! And so does Star Trek!

wktf
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Star Trek, the original series, is the original source of all goodness. It demonstrates the importance of integrity and leadership, that all mixes of race/ethnicity/worlds can work together, shows how diverse personalities can integrate into a blended and working team, and provides morality, great stories, white knuckle adventure and humor all together into an hour's program of...shall I say it again...goodness.

Star Trek, the original series, is the source of significant imitation...that which is the sincerest form of flattery. I know Great Destroyer can provide us a near exhaustive list of all things that owe their origin to Star Trek, the original series.

For me, along with Dark Shadows, it was my single most favorite program growing up. And I happily watch each episode again, in sequential order, with my kids as often as I can.

Thank you, Gene Roddenberry, for giving us Star Trek!

http://www.simonsays.com/images/subsite/44/ST40_preview/preview_20.jpg

Babytoxie
09-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Indeed! :buttrock:

Wolverine1
09-23-2007, 11:06 PM
It just got eliminated in the tv thread! :buttrock:

:D

spider-man
09-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I love star trek , but I don't know about the best ever.

VaultMan
09-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Lets face it...this is the greatest television series ever created...ever. The only way any TV show could compare with this syndicated juggernaut is if it has a reference to it. that's why Mtv sucks, spike, Tmc, the list goes on.

Sure the acting isn't spectacular, and the special effects are sub-par (for those days they sure as hell weren't though, near real back then) but the writing and characters entertain me like no other Tv series could ever try to...that is...except for Scrubs(but that makes a reference to star trek anyway)

Anyway, i just think this fact needs to be stated so people don't get confused about good and bad television.
Live long and prosper,
Green3y A.K.A. Great Destroyer :thumbs2:

A fien statement, especially from one so young. Well said! :thumbs2:

VaultMan
09-23-2007, 11:43 PM
If Star Trek is the first...then this is the second:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/VaultManSF/OuterLimits1.jpg

Exar Kun
09-24-2007, 04:17 AM
I love the original serie, but I do prefer DS9

JM28Cardiff
09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
I loved DS9, and Trek overall. Unfortunately, the franchise is now moribund, and I think they should leave it alone for several years. For me, Battlestar Galactica has raised the bar and I dont think Trek can come close to it now.

patrickwm68
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
I love Star Trek especially TNG, too bad Paramount just let the franchise go in the toilet.

I hope they don't screw up this next movie.

snappahead
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Next Generation is the only one worth watching for me. I've tried others, but TNG is easily my favorite. Voyager wasn't too bad..just not as good as TNG. Picard would kick Kirk's a$$ lol.

CessnaDriver
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Next Generation is the only one worth watching for me. I've tried others, but TNG is easily my favorite. Voyager wasn't too bad..just not as good as TNG. Picard would kick Kirk's a$$ lol.

Picard had trouble fighting women.

Kirk could take on a Gorn.

wktf
09-24-2007, 11:30 AM
A fien statement, especially from one so young. Well said! :thumbs2:

Well, he has a wise mentor. :)

CessnaDriver
09-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Accept no substitutes!.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWWJuuF_mM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO8KEWWchTE

wktf
09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

snappahead
09-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Picard had trouble fighting women.

Kirk could take on a Gorn.

Picard would outsmart Kirk. Sure..Kirk throws a mean dropkick, but Picard would just shoot him.

rilynil
09-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Bah! The only way Picard would beat Kirk is to start reading Shakespeare outloud and hope Kirk falls asleep.

Kirk could beat Picard and Han Solo at the same time!

snappahead
09-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Bah! The only way Picard would beat Kirk is to start reading Shakespeare outloud and hope Kirk falls asleep.

Them's fightin words Rilynil!

rilynil
09-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Them's fightin words Rilynil!

:laugh: Kirk is the man!

wktf
09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
:laugh: Kirk is the man!

Kirk, all day!

Meteor Man
09-24-2007, 04:35 PM

:thumbs2: :laugh: :thumbs2:

CessnaDriver
09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/a/a5/Kirk1.jpg/200px-Kirk1.jpg

"We may explode into the biggest fireball this part of the galaxy has seen, but we've got to take that one in a million chance."

Balls big as church bells.

snappahead
09-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Kirk's not even part Borg...what a loser.

Alex655321
09-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Picard is just jealous of Kirk
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/alex655321_2006/Joke%20Pictures/bcc87a619070fdfaf9a6bd164ec61243.gif

snappahead
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Geez, doesn't anyone like Picard better than Kirk? Anybody got any sense in here? Bums.

BOSCO
09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/alex655321_2006/Joke%20Pictures/bcc87a619070fdfaf9a6bd164ec61243.gif

:laugh: :laugh:
Kirk is the man :buttrock: I`m a big Star Trek fan and like all the series.I`m currently watching season 4 of Enterprise,which i`m really enjoying but its a shame that it was cancelled after 4 seasons.

Meteor Man
09-24-2007, 07:31 PM

:laugh: Thats funny...:) Professor X goes off!!!

CessnaDriver
09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Heres to it all, what it represents.

http://trekpride.com/images/Trek%20Captains.jpg

"The visions we present to our children shape the future. It matters
what those visions are. Often they become self-fulfilling prophecies.
Dreams are maps. Our children long for realistic maps of a future they
(and we) can be proud of.
Where are the cartographers of human purpose?" ~ Carl Sagan

"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other. And all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up - man, we're going to be something!"-Gene Roddenberry

Great Destroyer
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM

at least Kirk has hair

Great Destroyer
09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Accept no substitutes!.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWWJuuF_mM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO8KEWWchTE

*single tear rolls down cheek*

JM28Cardiff
09-25-2007, 03:54 AM
I was surprised Enterprise even made it to four seasons

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Well, he has a wise mentor. :)

Ah! So I've heard!

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Picard would kick Kirk's a$$ lol.

In what, balancing his check book? Playing chess? Shuffleboard? What exactly would he kick Kirk's @ss in? Whining? :laugh:

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Heres to it all, what it represents.

http://trekpride.com/images/Trek%20Captains.jpg

Nice picture. But this vision of the future ony has one black male, and one woman captain.

Just pushing back a little. I still believe in this utopian vision. :thumbs2:

snappahead
09-25-2007, 08:58 AM
In what, balancing his check book? Playing chess? Shuffleboard? What exactly would he kick Kirk's @ss in? Whining? :laugh:

Picard would kick Kirk's a$$ at ALL of those things. Case closed.

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Picard would kick Kirk's a$$ at ALL of those things. Case closed.

Snappa! On this we agree!

wktf
09-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Geez, doesn't anyone like Picard better than Kirk? Anybody got any sense in here? Bums.

Pickard, huh? What was it Jack Palace said about Billy Crystal at the Academy Awards? :laugh:

CessnaDriver
09-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Nice picture. But this vision of the future ony has one black male, and one woman captain.

Just pushing back a little. I still believe in this utopian vision. :thumbs2:

Considering there are only five leading captains portrayed so far and each represents 20%, that is fine. If you look at other captains portrayed from Next Gen on, it is very diverse. Admirals too.

TOS Trek was very diverse for it's time.

Nichelle Nichols wanted to quit at one point, Dr. King convinced her to stay on the show.

"During the first year of the series, Nichols was tempted to leave the show, as she felt her role lacked significance, but a conversation with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. changed her mind. Dr. King personally encouraged her to stay on the show, telling her that he was a big fan of the series and told her she "could not give up"... for she was playing a vital role model for young black children and women across the country"

wktf
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
Star Trek TOS also was television's first inter-racial kiss between Shatner and Nichols. Not only was it very diverse, including a Russian during the cold war, but ground breaking.

CessnaDriver
09-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Also, and I may get some heat for this, so be it.
I don't think the two sexes are going to ever persue some careers as much as the other sex does.

Just the way it is.

Just like most "car people" are male.

I have known a few women into cars for instance. But nothing like males are.

Sure Barbie has a fighter pilot doll, but it just wont sell like a prom dress Barbie will it?

But that choice is there now.

That is all you can do.

Men and women are different. I dont think that will change in a few hundred years.

I would not expect 50% female starship captains need be represented. Knuckle draggin' 21st century male that I am.

snappahead
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Pickard, huh? What was it Jack Palace said about Billy Crystal at the Academy Awards? :laugh:

What'd he say? I've never made it through one of those. Yeah, the first show was a groundbreaking series...doesn't make Kirk better:eplus2:

wktf
09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
What'd he say? I've never made it through one of those. Yeah, the first show was a groundbreaking series...doesn't make Kirk better:eplus2:

He said of Crystal, who was the MC, "Billy Crystal! I crap bigger than him!" :laugh:

And to your point, with which I agree, it was both ground breaking AND better.

snappahead
09-25-2007, 03:11 PM
He said of Crystal, who was the MC, "Billy Crystal! I crap bigger than him!" :laugh:

And to your point, with which I agree, it was both ground breaking AND better.

It's hard to combat old guy nostalgia...You win.

Primal
09-25-2007, 03:19 PM
at least Kirk has hair

He's world renown for wearing squirrels on his head kid. :laugh:

Leon
09-25-2007, 03:23 PM
When I watched TOS as a kid it was the shiznit and Kirk was the man, I agree.
But then came TNG and defenitely loved that show more than TOS. Liked Picard better than Kirk too.
As for favorite captain I'll go all 360 on you and say Ben Sisko. He's not as 'physical' as Kirk but not as 'uptight' as Picard, a good balance for me.

Tommy Allison
09-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Had Alien, taken place on the Enterprise D, Picard and company would have tried to reason with it, and then take it back to its homeworld, only after half the crew had become alienized.

Kirk on the other hand would have done one of two things. Had sex with it, or killed it with a phaser.

Spock would have come to the conclusion that the Alien was the perfect killing machine, and everyone else would have freaked out, especially McCoy. "I'm a doctor, not a xenobiologist."

This is why TOS Trek kicks ass. They would have then gone the alien's home world and destroyed it with photon torpedos and the ships phasers, because if Jim Kirk can't have sex with it, he kills it.

wktf
09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
It's hard to combat old guy nostalgia...You win.

Not a competition, my good man. Different strokes for different folks. :thumbs2:

snappahead
09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
Had Alien, taken place on the Enterprise D, Picard and company would have tried to reason with it, and then take it back to its homeworld, only after half the crew had become alienized.

Kirk on the other hand would have done one of two things. Had sex with it, or killed it with a phaser.

Spock would have come to the conclusion that the Alien was the perfect killing machine, and everyone else would have freaked out, especially McCoy. "I'm a doctor, not a xenobiologist."

This is why TOS Trek kicks ass. They would have then gone the alien's home world and destroyed it with photon torpedos and the ships phasers, because if Jim Kirk can't have sex with it, he kills it.

Hmm..interesting..so what your'e saying is that Kirk and crew were criminals and broke the laws of the federation whenever possible and that's why they're better? I didn't know.

Didn't Kirk die from falling off a bridge?

snappahead
09-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Not a competition, my good man. Different strokes for different folks. :thumbs2:

I was just jerkin you, wktf...This is one argument that's impossible to win.

wktf
09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I was just jerkin you, wktf...This is one argument that's impossible to win.

Oh, I know. Just been dishin' it back at ya.

CessnaDriver
09-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Hmm..interesting..so what your'e saying is that Kirk and crew were criminals and broke the laws of the federation whenever possible and that's why they're better? I didn't know.

Didn't Kirk die from falling off a bridge?

I recall he was bailing out Picard who couldn't handle taking on an old man by himself.

The movie Kirk is almost a different character from TV Kirk though.

I never quite got the same vibe from the movie Kirk as the TV show Kirk.

I would have preferred they did Star Trek Phase II TV show rather then making movies. But Star Wars came out and changed that plan.

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Considering there are only five leading captains portrayed so far and each represents 20%, that is fine.

Says you.:thumbsdow

But I digress...

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Star Trek TOS also was television's first inter-racial kiss between Shatner and Nichols. Not only was it very diverse, including a Russian during the cold war, but ground breaking.

Yes, yes, we all the social significance of this show. It was clearly ahead of its time.

I was just referencing the poster in the first page of the thread thats all. Not doubting the show's place in history.

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 07:57 PM

:laugh: Nicely done.

snappahead
09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Like most things, it'll probably depend on when you came up or what you first watched. I wasn't a Star Trek fan until TNG came out, so naturally, I prefer it. If I'd come up watching the original, I'd probably prefer that. I watched the movies and liked them, but didn't really start loving the Star Trek mythology until I started watching TNG.

Having said that...Picard FTW!

CessnaDriver
09-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Says you.:thumbsdow

But I digress...

What would you say is "fair"?

Exact ethnic and sexual make up of earth represented by exact population ethnic makeup?

We need an Indian and Chinese captain then for sure.

Trek has pushed diversity harder then nearly any show on TV.

Roddenberry trail blazed and the later shows continued. There ARE other just as important characters that are not Captains you know.

NX-02 Columbia was commanded by Captain Erika Hernandez. I wanted to see more of her in action but alas the series died.

Excelsior came under command of Captain Sulu.
And that should have been a series if fans had gotten their way.

I just think it is odd to slam a franchise that has trail blazed in this regard.

wktf
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Yes, yes, we all the social significance of this show. It was clearly ahead of its time.

I was just referencing the poster in the first page of the thread thats all. Not doubting the show's place in history.

My comment wasn't in reference to anything you said, VM. :thumbs2:

VaultMan
09-25-2007, 11:19 PM
I just think it is odd to slam a franchise that has trail blazed in this regard.

1) I didnt slam the franchise. I recognize its historical significance.

2) I was referencing ONE poster in this thread (the captain's photo).

There are several posts in this thread. Reading is fundamental Cessna. :thumbs2:

CessnaDriver
09-25-2007, 11:58 PM
1) I didnt slam the franchise. I recognize its historical significance.

2) I was referencing ONE poster in this thread (the captain's photo).

There are several posts in this thread. Reading is fundamental Cessna. :thumbs2:

"Nice picture. But this vision of the future ony has one black male, and one woman captain."

I took "vision" to mean Trek itself.

If that artwork is somehow too exluding of other characters to show the diversity of the Trek universe for you. I dont know what to say. Its the primary Captain characters, it is what it is.