PDA

View Full Version : No Hope For Star |Wars tv show?

joy_division
09-26-2007, 07:18 AM
from Yahoo:

Star Wars creator George Lucas is struggling to find a home for his spin-off animated series Clone Wars (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/wenn/20070925/ten-lucas-can-t-find-a-home-for-star-war-c60bd6d_1.html)

Tommy Allison
09-26-2007, 08:52 AM
I have a hard time believing that Lucas can't find a home for a project, because his stuff will always generate truckloads of money.

Teague
09-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Part of the trouble--aside from the content--is that he's wanting a full committment to the series, not just a season (or even part-season) deal. That's going to take some wrangling. I mean, if it were to tank in Week 5, that would mean you'd either have to eat the cost of 95+ more episodes, or keep running an unprofitable series because you have it and have already paid for it.

I do agree that the Star Wars brand carries some automatic cache--the premiere would be massive. After that, though, it could falter, especially given the quality of the pre-quels (which surely is playing a role in this deal, too).

Natrix
09-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Seeing as they already have something like 20-40 episodes done, you know that when they are finished with all the episodes they will be shown somewhere. Maybe he can cut them into several movies or do a huge boxset direct to video if nothing else, that would still rake in pretty good dough.

statman
09-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Seeing as they already have something like 20-40 episodes done, you know that when they are finished with all the episodes they will be shown somewhere. Maybe he can cut them into several movies or do a huge boxset direct to video if nothing else, that would still rake in pretty good dough.

It thought they only had 20 or so episodes written or plotted. Not actually in the can.

Natrix
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Well it isn't made too clear but by his comments it sounds like they are completed with 40 if it is going to air next fall. They have been working on it for awhile now and that would give them time to finish the rest of the episodes before they would need to be aired.

TV Guide: Can we talk about the two Star Wars television series you're working on...?
George Lucas: There's Clone Wars, and we're in the middle of that.

TV Guide: Tell us about it.
Lucas: Well it's basically like Star Wars [in that it] takes place between, obviously, [the films] Episode II [Attack of the Clones] and Episode III [Revenge of the Sith], but it's the same kind of action. Unfortunately, it doesn't fall into the realm of what animation [typically] is, which is either adult, kind of off-color humor or kiddie stuff. This is, like Star Wars, sort of in between those two things. It's a lot of battle stuff, and it's obviously the Clone Wars, so it's a war picture. So it's kind of a PG-13 animated TV series, which is something that has never been done before and obviously doesn't fit in any of the conventional slots that these things fall into. In that, it's very different, and I think it's very exciting. It's got a very, very sophisticated look to it. It's very much like the features. We're still trying to figure out how to put it on the air.

TV Guide: And you're going to do a hundred episodes?
Lucas: We're going to do a hundred episodes. I think we're on [No.] 40 right now. We'll probably end up with 50 to 60 episodes before we start to put it on the air. We'd like to put it on next fall, in about a year from now, but we'll see what happens.

TV Guide: Where do you see it living? How do you see this playing? Obviously it doesn't sound like a Saturday morning cartoon.
Lucas: Right now, we don't know. It's out there to people, and people are talking about it, but so far, everybody's got the same conundrums — "How do we program it? Where does it live? Where can we put something like this?" You know, it has to go after 9 o'clock and it can't be on a kiddie channel.

TV Guide: So you see it on a more mainstream channel or the Sci Fi Channel or something like that?
Lucas: Well, it's one of those things. Television is sort of bifurcated up into small niches and unless you fit in one of those niches, no one knows what to do with you. And, of course, I'm always outside the box, so it's like, "Uh-oh, we don't have a box for you." [Laughs] But it's Star Wars and it's really good, so I'm sure somehow or another, people will also start thinking outside the box and it will find its home.

wolverinejedi007
09-26-2007, 08:31 PM
solution...

Lucas TV!!!

All Star Wars ...all the time!!!

Either on demand or on satellite TV

spider-man
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
helloooo....ADULT SWIM

Endless Wake
09-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Is this more of the Clone Wars animated series? I thought Cartoon Network ran them?

joy_division
09-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Is this more of the Clone Wars animated series? I thought Cartoon Network ran them?edit here is some info (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series) on it

What about Adult swim of Sci-fi channel?