PDA

View Full Version : The War

wktf
09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Anyone else been watching this Ken Burns documentary about WWII on PBS. Like his previous work, this one's been pretty amazing (his Baseball documentary is one of my most favorite viewing experiences). Tonight's installment includes the D-Day invasion. Highly recommended.

cougartrace
09-26-2007, 09:52 AM
It has been phenomenal :buttrock:

CessnaDriver
09-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Very good. A little heavy on the civil rights angle, but that is Ken Burns forte.

Hopefully many youths are watching.

My folks are that generation, I grew up with a lot of stories like these already.

What "war weary" really means was taught to me at a young age.

Some people today have no idea (or even care) what all they have costed in blood and it can make me sick how people take it all for granted and afford themselves some very foolish (and dangerous) levels of ignorance.

Teague
09-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I watching these, and they're amazing. I wish they'd debuted this before the TV season began, though. Why PBS wanted to go head-to-head with network premieres is beyond me. The ratings for this would have been phenomenal, if it had been released two weeks ago.

I'm pre-screening the episodes and planning on watching some of them with my daughter. She's interested in history, and this is an amazing series.

CessnaDriver
09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I was pleased to see Quentin Aanenson featured as well. The P-47 pilot.
PBS also had a great show about his experiences called "A Fighter Pilot's Story" some years ago.

Highly recommend.

wktf
09-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Tonight's was amazing. D-Day, Saipen, the liberation of France. The horror of all that death. What a moving series.

xreynoldsxcorex
09-27-2007, 12:35 AM
It is amazing, I am enjoying it so much I ordered the giant set with book and more from PBS. This is a keeper and everyone should see it.

Kirbyfan
09-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I like the way that they incorporate the maps. It's always confused me since I'm sort of geographically challenged, but that is a great visual tool.

protector2814
09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
A very good show and thank the Lord that PBS is re-airing it immediately after the 1st showing and also around 2am. I'm able to catch it along with some new Fall programs.
Did anyone else notice the music in last night's installment? Out of all the Ken Burn films, I must say that I feel the music does This film a disservice.
A cross between Appalachian folk music and Irish Immigrant Fiddle lammentations, I found the score to last night's program just didn't work. The footage of the soldiers on the carriers to Normandy, with the vomiting and fear and death just didn't call for early-american folk. A little more popular music of the time may have been more appropriate.
Music wasn't all big band swing in the 40's. There were some wonderful, soft instrumentals and ballads which often reflected the sadness of the times.
We'll Meet Again, I'll Be Seeing You come to mind.

wktf
09-27-2007, 04:44 PM
The Mill's Brothers' "Paper Doll" was in the prior installment. Beautiful but slightly sad with the tightest harmonies (Mill's Bros were kings at this) around.

protector2814
09-27-2007, 04:52 PM
The Mill's Brothers' "Paper Doll" was in the prior installment. Beautiful but slightly sad with the tightest harmonies (Mill's Bros were kings at this) around.

and I heard a beutiful song by Bing Crosby in last night's enstallment. But these "gems" are used to sparingly.
Fiddle music during D-Day! What the hell....

moon_knight1971
09-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Man I thought this thread was about the new Jet Li and the guy from the Transporter:(

CessnaDriver
09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shsxuauQA3w

scott
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Just heard this about today, nothing but praise.