PDA

View Full Version : Singer could leave Man of Steel

Endless Wake
09-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Though he would probably do a better job with part 2, I don't want to see Superman & son on screen.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/09-25-07_3?gt1=7701

Foord
09-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Amen to that. Truth, justice and all that stuff, indeed...

RichBamf
09-27-2007, 09:07 AM
I really hope that Justice League film falls flat on it's face!

Endless Wake
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
I really hope that Justice League film falls flat on it's face!Its the John Stewart part right? Though I'd like to see them use Hal oneday, I can understand a studio realizing that the classic team needs some diversity. They're not going to change the holy trinity, who better than a character that has had four different identities in comics(Hal, John, Guy, Kyle). The animated series did a great job of making Stewart a unique character.

By the way is Kyle suppose to be Asian? Each artist gives him a different look and now I'm not sure.

RichBamf
09-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Its the John Stewart part right? Though I'd like to see them use Hal oneday, I can understand a studio realizing that the classic team needs some diversity. They're not going to change the holy trinity, who better than a character that has had four different identities in comics(Hal, John, Guy, Kyle). The animated series did a great job of making Stewart a unique character.

By the way is Kyle suppose to be Asian? Each artist gives him a different look and now I'm not sure.

Part of it's the GL thing, but it's more than that.

I HATE team movies, there is never enough time to get origins fleshed out. Look at X-men, we went for three films and they didn't get any sort of backstory on Beast, Cyclops, Storm, Kitty and Colossus. We got an unbalanced mix of developed and underdeveloped characters mashed together that led to one brilliant film and two that didn't live up to their potential.

This will be even worse in the JLA film, we have 7 main characters, 5 of whom the movie viewing audience won't be familiar with at all. These characters could film a whole film by themselves, but we have the dubious honour of having them muddled together without them even being properly introduced.

How much time are they intending to put into the origins? From a GL fan's perspective they have to put in at least these elements to satisfy me completely:

Intro to Oa and the GLC
Addressing the Parallax anomaly (if they're using the weakness to yellow or fear)
John Stewart's ( :mad: ) origins
The finding of the ring
Training

I doubt that is going to be done in that much detail. How will WW fans feel that the best know female comic character in history has to contend with 6 other heroes for screen time?

Plus the whole Routh/Bale snub negates the need for Supes/Bats to even be in the movie. The ausience won't understand why there are two actors playing these characters in the same timeframe, it's just stupid.

And I don't think Kyle is supposed to be Asian, I think he's white American.

MiamiLoco
09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
RichBamf, u know if they do a JL film and it's a success that opens the door for big Spin off movies, including Green Lantern, you know that right?

rilynil
09-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Singer should have stuck with the X-Men franchise, IMO. Still, I enjoyed X3 much, much more than Superman Returns.

Foord
09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I could care less about back stories in movies. I know the characters. I want to see massive smack downs. Good guys versus bad guys on a huge scale. Hollywood movie makers have proven that they won't tell the true origins as we know them anyway. Let's just cut to the chase and have lots of action and in-movie character development.

RichBamf
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM
RichBamf, u know if they do a JL film and it's a success that opens the door for big Spin off movies, including Green Lantern, you know that right?

But what if it's not?

I doubt that undeveloped character origins and poor screen time is going to endear anyone to the possibility of further DC solo films.

And if GL is a sucess in the film any further sequels will surely star John Stewart as the main GL. :(

I see what you are saying ML, but I just wish that DC would be as savy as Marvel.

Avengers film=Solo Iron Man, solo Thor, solo Cap, then Avengers

That makes sense, what DC are doing doesn't.

Meteor Man
09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Wow...what a big suprise that Singer is gonna jump ship when things don't quite suit him...:rolleyes:

RichBamf
09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
I could care less about back stories in movies. I know the characters. I want to see massive smack downs. Good guys versus bad guys on a huge scale. Hollywood movie makers have proven that they won't tell the true origins as we know them anyway. Let's just cut to the chase and have lots of action and in-movie character development.

But the films wouldn't be just geared towards comic fans. They have to show a decent origin or you can kiss bye bye to further sequels.

rilynil
09-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I see what you are saying ML, but I just wish that DC would be as savy as Marvel.

Avengers film=Solo Iron Man, solo Thor, solo Cap, then Avengers

That makes sense, what DC are doing doesn't.

I agree. There is a huge portion of the movie-going public who isn't that familiar with Iron Man, Thor and such, just like many people don't know much about Green Lantern, the Flash, etc.

It just would make so much more sense to make good solo movies of the characters, THEN bring them together for a team movie. The X-Men movies worked so well because everyone could understand the concept of mutants immediately and there was not a pressing need to know their individual origins.

But Green Lantern needs an origin movie. I don't think it would be satisfying at all if a team movie just introduced GL as "a good guy with a power ring."

Tetragrammaton
09-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Big deal, that last film he directed that I really enjoyed was "The Usual Suspects."

abarron
09-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Singer should have stuck with the X-Men franchise, IMO. Still, I enjoyed X3 much, much more than Superman Returns.

Ditto

Not keen on team movies for X-men was pretty good but the character history wasn't developed through the other two movies.
Like why was beast blue and hairy when he is seen in x men looking human?

MiamiLoco
09-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Big deal, that last film he directed that I really enjoyed was "The Usual Suspects."
wow, no love for X2?!

stormshadow75x
09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
X-2 was the best one out of the three...
I think the Man of Steel would have definitely been better than returns .... but generally speaking i just feel that a lot of the DC characters just don't translate well to film....

From what I'm reading about the JLA film... it just sounds like WB is interested in making a blockbuster (MONEY) instead of a good movie.. I mean what's the rush to make this thing... Why not let Singer do a second Superman movie???

The guys that did Happy Feet is directing this???

Sounds a lot like when i heard the guy that directed Grumpy Old Men was directing Daredevil & Ghost Rider.... looked how that turned out

MiamiLoco
09-27-2007, 02:03 PM
The guys that did Happy Feet is directing this???
Yeah, but he also directed this:

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/m1.jpg

Black Cat
09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
This will be even worse in the JLA film, we have 7 main characters, 5 of whom the movie viewing audience won't be familiar with at all.

I realize your taking about Superman and Batman but I think the majority of people know who Wonder Woman and Flash are as well

Black Cat
09-27-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm not sure he would get a Spin off. Is he even that popular? I know I could NOT stand him at all in the Justice League cartoon.

rilynil
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I realize your taking about Superman and Batman but I think the majority of people know who Wonder Woman and Flash are as well
I agree about Wonder Woman, but I wonder how many folks in the general public know Flash's origin? I hate to admit it, but I don't even know. :( I have no idea where Flash got his powers.

rilynil
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, but he also directed this:

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/m1.jpg

I didn't know this!

protector2814
09-27-2007, 04:50 PM
I didn't know this!

True but he also directed Babe II, Pig in the City and the horrible Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.
http://www.dacardworld.com/ItemImages/item/MADMAX3TINATURNER.JPG

Let's try and find a new director for Superman.
Brian Singer aint' all that. Besides, maybe he'll finally start Logan's Run.

moon_knight1971
09-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Can I get an AMEN?