PDA

View Full Version : $399 PS3 Confirmed by Best Buy?!

MiamiLoco
10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/02/sonys-399-ps3-confirmed-by-best-buy/

Thanks to a helpful tipster, we have a couple of Best Buy documents showing a $399 Playstation 3 with 40GB disk and Spiderman 3 (yes, Blu-ray) bundle with an "In Stock Date" of October 28. However, the more important "Street Date" field is unfortunately empty at the moment. While the docs look legit and don't seem to be Photoshopped, they can still be faked easily enough. So we did a quick lookup on the UPC code and sure enough, while the details are masked, the manufacturer is listed as "Sony Computer Entertainment of America." Unfortunately, we don't see the new model CECHG01 listed anywhere in the docs. As such, let's be clear: this ain't official. Still, we'll be paying close attention on October 12th as will you we suspect.

If this is true, then this might win the war!!!

Sniper
10-02-2007, 11:39 AM
still torn bet an xbox 360 and a ps3

CocoPUFF
10-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I thought the 40 gb model was discontinued?

Kujo
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
just how many versions of the PS3 are there!?

CocoPUFF
10-02-2007, 01:08 PM
just how many versions of the PS3 are there!?

there's the 40gb(which I thought was dicontinued) it comes with 2 usb ports, not sure about HDMI, then there's the 60 gig (4 usb ports, HDMI) and the 80gig (same as 60 with bigger HDD)

Endless Wake
10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
If this is true, then this might win the war!!!It still pushing the system as a Blu ray player which Sony just said was a mistake.:confused:

MiamiLoco
10-02-2007, 01:57 PM
It still pushing the system as a Blu ray player which Sony just said was a mistake.:confused:
Yeah, they are concentrating on putting out good games now, but till then they want people to have the system in their home.

The General
10-02-2007, 02:10 PM
It still pushing the system as a Blu ray player which Sony just said was a mistake.:confused:

Who knows what they’re thinking. The way Nintendo is wiping the floor with the 360 & PS3 they should be packaging these things with Madden 08 not Spidey 3. What’s the bigger disaster for Sony? Falling further behind on the video game side or losing the format war?

Wooktroop
10-02-2007, 03:56 PM
when it hits $150
let me know

CocoPUFF
10-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Who knows what they’re thinking. The way Nintendo is wiping the floor with the 360 & PS3 they should be packaging these things with Madden 08 not Spidey 3. What’s the bigger disaster for Sony? Falling further behind on the video game side or losing the format war?

actually, Microsoft just handed everyone their a$$es with the release of HALO 3.....I don't think microsoft(XBOX 360) is going anywhere...and to even think they are in trouble is a little far fetched...not even nintendo can touch that one...

The General
10-02-2007, 05:01 PM
actually, Microsoft just handed everyone their a$$es with the release of HALO 3.....I don't think microsoft(XBOX 360) is going anywhere...and to even think they are in trouble is a little far fetched...not even nintendo can touch that one...

My point was that Sony should start worrying about the video game side a bit than they are. I never said the 360 was in trouble. I said that Nintendo is killing everyone right now. Didn't the last systems sales rankings have Wii at #1 and the DS at #2?

DSET
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
there's the 40gb(which I thought was dicontinued) it comes with 2 usb ports, not sure about HDMI, then there's the 60 gig (4 usb ports, HDMI) and the 80gig (same as 60 with bigger HDD)

the 20gb version was cancelled this 40gb one is coming out now for the first time

nintendo is ahead in current sales but not total sales

but believe me if you know gamers and you know studies theres no way the wii is gonna win this thing IMHO. The system is steadily loosing intrest, half the wii players including me get bored of wii games quikly, the wii is like an arcade machine: its repetitive and eventually you run out of quarters or loose intrest.The wiimote is fun but it has its limitations, metroid and zelda were amazing but after getting halfway through them I just felt like piking up a controller.

PS3 is focusing on games, theyve slated a bigger exclusive list this q4\x-mas than any company has since 2002. And most of them are AAA quality games but that doesnt mean they will be AAA good: everyone knows wat happend to lair. By this time in 360s first year they didnt have much released besides COD2\elder scrolls\condemned and tomb raider
all 3rd party developed games yet i dunno were condemned fits in that category.

compare that to
heavenly sword\Warhawk\Resistance\lair
all exclusives
plus next gen exclusive Ninja Gaiden
and pretty much every 3rd party game that 360 has
i think ps3 has a better list its just that 360 beat sony to the punch

then by november they had gears yadda yadda yadda vs ps3s upcoming list its pretty similar in amount but time will tell if quality is. I suspect they will be substituting a timed exclusive UT3 for Gears, Unreal 3 is gonna raise some eyebrows and depending on when the 360 date is announced to, ALOT people will buy UT3 on the ps3 but probably a little less than the amount of people who bought gears.

ps3 will be awoken this nov ESPEcially with the price drop.
and it will put it up a good fight in march

glassdancer
10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
still torn bet an xbox 360 and a ps3

Don't be torn anymore.

Get the 360!!!!!!

Nuff said!

snappahead
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Quick clarification...The 60 gig model is the one that's been canceled. You can still find it in stores, but once they're gone, they're gone for good. The original 20 gig model is also gone. What we have left is the new 40 gig model and the 80 gig model.

From what I understand, the newer models do not have backward compatible hardware and requires a software download to play PS1 and PS2 games, but the older 60 gig model plays those games outta the box. My 60 gig model does anyways, so I suggest to anyone considering buying a PS3 to go out and pick up the 60 gig model before it's gone.

DSET
Don't be torn anymore.

Get the 360!!!!!!

Nuff said!
for the time being if youre not intrested in BD movies or RPG\Fighting\Platoformer games

I would have to agree:thumbs2: :thumbs2:

HalJordanFan
Unless it's $200 guys don't waste you money. It's crap. All my friends prefer the 360 Elite when they come over.

snappahead
10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Don't be torn anymore.

Get the 360!!!!!!

Nuff said!

Right now, I 100% agree. This time next year, the folks who have both will be happiest (if you can afford it). Thankfully, I'm all set.

DSET
10-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Lol you spent money on an elite and you call ps3 a waste of money

100$ extra for a bigger hard drive youl never use.
unless u did it for hdmi before the announcements were made and you neeed it to watch hddvd movies with the add on. Otherwise you paid 100 more for a black colored system:peoples:

snappahead
10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Lol you spent money on an elite and you call ps3 a waste of money

100$ extra for a bigger hard drive youl never use.
unless u did it for hdmi before the announcements were made and you neeed it to watch hddvd movies with the add on. Otherwise you paid 100 more for a black colored system:peoples:

The interior was also modified with an extra cooling well to help prevent the red ring of death problem. As you said though..it's also got a much bigger hdd and if you didn't already have a 360, it makes perfect sense to choose the Elite.

DSET
10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
The interior was also modified with an extra cooling well to help prevent the red ring of death problem. As you said though..it's also got a much bigger hdd and if you didn't already have a 360, it makes perfect sense to choose the Elite.
for a 100$ i disagree if u really cared about the RROD then u should have researched into the new flacon 65nm chips and waited the 5months. I dont think many people thought the diffrent heat sink would have or shouldve solve many of the problems they were having, but thats my opinion. Im not sure what the deal is with streaming hd movies im pretty sure they are temporary thus rendering the big hd useless for that matter, Im not really sure what the uses of a big hd is :confused: .

snappahead
10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
for a 100$ i disagree if u really cared about the RROD then u should have researched into the new flacon 65nm chips and waited the 5months. I dont think many people thought the diffrent heat sink would have or shouldve solve many of the problems they were having, but thats my opinion. Im not sure what the deal is with streaming hd movies im pretty sure they are temporary thus rendering the big hd useless for that matter, Im not really sure what the uses of a big hd is :confused: .

Who said anything about streaming hd movies? What about demos and Live Arcade games? You could put tons of gaming content on a hdd that size. It'd be like having an entire gaming library built into the system. Sounds pretty useful to me.

Microsoft (as far as I know), has neither confirmed nor denied the existence of this "falcon" chipset. They HAVE confirmed that all new models of the 360 have the modifications to help prevent the RROD. The new models with the HDMI ports.

Frinky
10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
$399 is too much for a Blu-ray player that plays games. It's nice to see that Sony packed in a movie instead of a game in the newest system, showing where they're priorities are for this system. Did'nt they also remove the chip that runs the ps2 games and are now doing it thru software only like the 360? When it drops to $299 i'll buy one.

DSET
10-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Who said anything about streaming hd movies? What about demos and Live Arcade games? You could put tons of gaming content on a hdd that size. It'd be like having an entire gaming library built into the system. Sounds pretty useful to me.

Microsoft (as far as I know), has neither confirmed nor denied the existence of this "falcon" chipset. They HAVE confirmed that all new models of the 360 have the modifications to help prevent the RROD. The new models with the HDMI ports.
i wouldnt buy 100 more gigs for 100 more dollars for that type of use but thats just my opinion

youre behind on the 65nm (falcon) theyve been spotted in the halo systems, and most people knew they were on there way.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9100
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=623700

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=623700&st=120
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/28/65nm-xbox-360s-starting-to-trickle-out/

snappahead
10-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh well..I knew about the rumor, but I don't think it was confirmed until recently. It makes sense. It's not in Microsofts best interest to tell everyone to buy the new consoles when they've got all those older systems sitting on store shelves.

I'd be willing to spend the extra hundred if I didn't already have the Pro model. The hdd is sold by itself for $180 I think it is. I suppose it depends on the type of person you are. Obviously, you don't see a need for it, but many would disagree. I've got a 20 gig hdd and I'm constantly having to remove stuff to free up space.

From the beginning, I've felt that Sony was making a huge mistake with their PS3 pricing. Sure, it's a good price for what your'e getting, but that's proven to be irrelevant. They should've just taken huge losses on a cheap price to get the install base up and given them a better shot at winning the format war which seems to be Sony's only goal this console cycle.

DSET
10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
they were taking like almost a 200$ loss 20gig model in the first few months, and 160something for the 60gig.
thats a pretty huge loss in my book, im guessing this upcoming 40gig deal is gonna be about a 100ish to 150ish.

meanwhile i think wii has 30$ profit and recently 360s have been slowly making tiny profits per unit. I think Microsoft started out with a 75$ loss or something like that.

this 40gb ps3 is a monster deal
360 is 350 only 50bucks more for a console with a bigger hd\built in wifi and a bd player
sick deal:thumbs2:

snappahead
10-02-2007, 11:27 PM
The price comparisons mean jack without the games. That proofs in the sales. Whether Sony likes it or not...people don't care as much about Blu Ray as they do about games when it comes to the PS3. I'm sure sales will improve when games like Uncharted and Unreal come out and more next year with MGS and FF, but they've got a lot of catching up to do. As I've said in the past, PS3 will probably win in the end due to Japan and oddly loyal parts of Europe, but personally, I'd prefer to see Microsoft come out ahead this go around. Dynasty's are boring and bad for the market.

Yeah, they probably were taking those losses and they should've taken even more. If they win the format war, it'd pay for itself inside a year. That's all this really boils down to for Sony. I don't know how many more format wars they can afford to lose. They should be practically giving these PS3's away to make sure they win it.

The price comparisons mean jack without the games. That proofs in the sales. Whether Sony likes it or not...people don't care as much about Blu Ray as they do about games when it comes to the PS3. I'm sure sales will improve when games like Uncharted and Unreal come out and more next year with MGS and FF, but they've got a lot of catching up to do. As I've said in the past, PS3 will probably win in the end due to Japan and oddly loyal parts of Europe, but personally, I'd prefer to see Microsoft come out ahead this go around. Dynasty's are boring and bad for the market.

Endless Wake
10-03-2007, 12:23 AM
I just can't understand people defending the PS3. Its an expensive Blu Ray player, that sometimes plays games. I understand wanting to justify spending all that money, but the only people that will really come out winning are those that buy a cheaper more advanced PS3 when it actually has a good gaming library. The PS3 won't shine for another two years, till then the Wii and 360 are more than enough.

xreynoldsxcorex
10-03-2007, 12:33 AM
I just can't understand people defending the PS3. Its an expensive Blu Ray player, that sometimes plays games. I understand wanting to justify spending all that money, but the only people that will really come out winning are those that buy a cheaper more advanced PS3 when it actually has a good gaming library. The PS3 won't shine for another two years, till then the Wii and 360 are more than enough.

I agree and I think that everyone is gravely underestimating the wii. All novelty aside, they do have the best dl content. And who says, even though I know they are already in dev, that they cant make a regular controller to play regular games devoid of motion control? PS3 is just a waste right now, it is the bigger more expensive alcoholic stepfather of the useless psp. And at this lower price, you are getting the stripped down retarded drunken unemployed creepy uncle of the psp without backwards compatability. No thanks Sony, no thanks.

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 08:44 AM

Actually its the cheapest BD player and while it maybe expensive to some its all relative. Early adaptors of formats generally pay more than the general public anyway. I paid €650 (which is approx $920) for the 60 gig model. So while the USA have been getting bigger cuts in the PS3 pricing the same cannot be said about Europe.

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, they probably were taking those losses and they should've taken even more. If they win the format war, it'd pay for itself inside a year. That's all this really boils down to for Sony. I don't know how many more format wars they can afford to lose. They should be practically giving these PS3's away to make sure they win it.

This maybe the case in the USA but there are more countries than the USA. Sony are advertising this as a entertainment system + BD player in Europe. I am not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination and yet i have purchased it as a BD player. I also suspect that any loss they maybe having in US sales they are far in a way being covered by sales in Japan and Europe. The player is still priced at €600+ (approx $950)

Endless Wake
10-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Actually its the cheapest BD player I just checked, your right, I thought they would try and match HD player prices.

How does Sony explain the price difference for Europe and Japan?

The General
10-03-2007, 08:56 AM

Me neither and I agree. It's an awesome machine but you hit it on the head - It's a blu ray player that sometimes plays games. Well said sir.:thumbs2:

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 09:07 AM
I just checked, your right, I thought they would try and match HD player prices.

How does Sony explain the price difference for Europe and Japan?

Electronics are much higher across the board in Europe. I think Japan is just expensive full stop. The X-box retails at around €400 plus another €150 for the add on HD-DVD drive and then there are the extras. So by the time you have finished making the x-box on a similar par with the PS3 they are around the same price if not more expensive anyway.

DSET
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Sony has the biggest exclusive list that any video game company has launched for a long time this coming Christmas .As of now they have a much better library of video games compared to what 360 at this point in its first year. Sony beat MS to the punch with ps2 its vice versa this time and the exact same thing was happening to Microsoft XBOX when it first came out.

Don’t u get it?
Its their first year!!!
Games are coming this quarter!!!:mad:
Read my other posts:banghead: :banghead:

360 by this point last year
COD2\Tomb Raider\Condemned\Elder Scrolls\Ghost Recon ALL third party games not many exclusives
PS3 by now has the tom clancy games\COD3\Elder scrolls\darkness etc pretty much every third party game that 360 has
BUT pS3 also has Resistance\Heavenly sword\warhawk\lair(crappy but still)\ninja gaiden sigma next gen exclusive
All these games are exclusive to ps3

Thus at this point they are pretty much Smashing wat 360 had to offer this far in its life.
BUT they got beat to the punch that is all that’s it!!!

by end of this xmas ps3 they will have 10 more AAA games coming out and 6 are exclusive

360 has 6 more AAA games this quarter and 2 are exclusive
Microsoft doesn’t care they have halo no matter what happens they will win this quarter, plus they just released bishock 2months ago.

Sony has a huge line up of games coming out this quarter whether they are good or not is yet to be determined, but regardless of which Sony has much more games offered by q4 than the 360 had in its first year. And Last gen it was vice versa, it takes a console some time to get on its feet, Sony IS focusing on games it’s just that nobody cares about them. 360 is better ATM and cheaper, plus sony has been beat to the punch they don’t have a big enough library of games to compete because they are behind.
We just have to wait and see if Uncharted\Ratchet\\UT3 can do wat gears did for 360 last Christmas, and believe me that’s a hard shoe to fill in even with 3 games.

And I’m not stating opinions I’m just stating facts

I support the 360 over the ps3 anytime anyone asks me which to buy i say 360, and people always ask me. But before deciding between the two you should know everything about them. And wat I say counts amongst my friends I’ve worked for bestbuy for couple years and radio shack for 1, Ive also been a pirate gamer my whole life, so believe me Im no 360 basher.

People always say like im coming out always trying to be right: I don’t, I just provide as many facts as I can that’s rhetoric: a well crafted argument. I try not to provide opinions becuz they don’t matter as much.

PS3 will begin to shine this Dec and will actually put up a competition by end of q1\q2 next year.And thats My opinion.

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
$399 is too much for a Blu-ray player that plays games. It's nice to see that Sony packed in a movie instead of a game in the newest system, showing where they're priorities are for this system. Did'nt they also remove the chip that runs the ps2 games and are now doing it thru software only like the 360? When it drops to $299 i'll buy one.

seriously? Then go buy a 399 blu ray player that just plays blurays..:rolleyes2

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM

when you look at it its only 50 bucks more than an Elite360. and it COMES with a bluray player. And its a more powerful machine....I'll be the first one to admit I play my Elite more than my PS3, but after seeing some of the graphics on the PS3, I think with more titles, the PS3 will right on par or maybe the superior system in time.....but really cost is going to be irrelevant. People saying that they will buy one when its 200 dollars, paid 400 for their 360s(maybe 350, but if you guys have had your 360s for a while then you paid 400 for yours, so quit saying the PS3 is too expensive:stick: ):confused: People that downplay the PS3 right now I think are just hating.....I used to be a Playstation guy completely. I never owned an Xbox. I would tell myself I had a PC, and didn't need a 360 cuz I could play anything exclusive on my PC. Then I realized I was buying a new graphics card every 6 months, so I just bought a 360 and I was impressed! I think it is a great machine and it does have a better game selection, but that won't be the case in the future...

snappahead
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
At the end of the day, all we can do is guess what'll happen this console cycle. Wii's #'s are awesome right now, but will they stay that way once people get over the gimicky control thing? Will third party support remain strong and actually produce games that are worth playing or will they continue to release garbage?

Can the 360 overcome the huge hurdle of being ignored in Japan? Can they get WORKING consoles on the shelves before the RROD fiasco has ruined them?

Can Sony really come back from a lousy start and actually win this cycle?

All speculation right now.

Coco...I'm curious to know which games on the PS3 really impressed you graphically that convinced you it was a more powerful system?

Frinky
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
CocoPUFF Quote:
Originally Posted by Frinky

seriously? Then go buy a 399 blu ray player that just plays blurays.

I could care less about playing movies on my game systems and right now br or hddvd don't matter. So it is too expensive. Not once did i put a movie in my ps2 or xbox. So i don't sound like a fanboy, i never would have bought a 360, it was a xmas gift.

snappahead
10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I could care less about playing movies on my game systems and right now br or hddvd don't matter. So it is too expensive. Not once did i put a movie in my ps2 or xbox. So i don't sound like a fanboy, i never would have bought a 360, it was a xmas gift.

Why wouldn't you have bought a 360?

Frinky
10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
snappahead Quote:

Why wouldn't you have bought a 360?

Too expensive. I'm 32 now, not married, no kids, i don't play online, and i play about 4 hours a week, blowing $400+ to play video games is crazy for me. The ex gf got it for me. I still enjoy it and i would like to buy a ps3 (zero interest in the wii besides Metroid). I'm just not into video games any more like i once was. I stll have'nt completed one 360 game, i just loose interest. I like the pc more than any other platform, i blew around $1400 building a a great pc and i still have'nt completed the handfull of games i have including Bioshock.

Edit: I did beat a game on the 360, it was Kameo Elements of Power.

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
At the end of the day, all we can do is guess what'll happen this console cycle. Wii's #'s are awesome right now, but will they stay that way once people get over the gimicky control thing? Will third party support remain strong and actually produce games that are worth playing or will they continue to release garbage?

Can the 360 overcome the huge hurdle of being ignored in Japan? Can they get WORKING consoles on the shelves before the RROD fiasco has ruined them?

Can Sony really come back from a lousy start and actually win this cycle?

All speculation right now.

Coco...I'm curious to know which games on the PS3 really impressed you graphically that convinced you it was a more powerful system?

Heavenly sowrd and Lair.....Ninja Gaiden 3 is supposed to look phoenomenal as well...

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 07:19 PM

Blu ray players themselves cost about 399 right now. So my point was simply this: Why spend that much on just a player, when you can have a PS3 with it!? If you're not even interested in playing Bluray movies, why comment on how expensive a "Bluray player that plays games" is? Obviously you're not familiar with how much these things cost. So thank you for making my point for me:)

snappahead
10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Yeah...Lair has a few moments. Close inspection it falls apart, but I was impressed at first. Heavenly Sword is a pretty game. Haven't played much of it, but what I've seen does look good.

I think you mean NG 2. Last I heard, it was a 360 exclusive though. Has that changed?

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah...Lair has a few moments. Close inspection it falls apart, but I was impressed at first. Heavenly Sword is a pretty game. Haven't played much of it, but what I've seen does look good.

I think you mean NG 2. Last I heard, it was a 360 exclusive though. Has that changed?

there's one that is only ps3 right now...soon to come to xbox that is supposed to be awesome....unless im thinking of a different game..:confused:

snappahead
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Could be Unreal your'e thinking of? That's the only one that comes to mind anyways. Looks awesome and it's coming to the PS3 first.

DSET
10-03-2007, 08:40 PM
ninja gaiden is just same as the first game
so its just ninja gaiden 1 they call it sigma cuz its next gen and theres extra content

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Could be Unreal your'e thinking of? That's the only one that comes to mind anyways. Looks awesome and it's coming to the PS3 first.

I don't know anymore....I work next door to a GameStop...
I'll have to go check again..:banghead: