PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Vs XBox Vs Wii Vs PSP Vs DS Vs BluRay Vs HD DVD

Johnneeukca
10-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I've looked at a lot of theads on this forum and other forums and found people espousing the benefits of their chosen system while p1ssing on the others. But, to be honest, I haven't found anyone to really come up with the goods on why a PS3 is a POS, or the XBox is Crap, or why the PSP is useless, or why the Wii is p1ss poor.

So come on, tell me.

Wooktroop
10-03-2007, 10:30 AM
1) PS3 - lack of good games, too expensive (price is comming down)
2) Wii - awful graphics
3) Bluray - players too expensive (price is comming down)

thats about all ive got haha

cougartrace
10-03-2007, 10:37 AM
XBOX360 - great game and the best online service and community available..HANDS DOWN

WII - it can be fun but the graphics are awful. Games seem to be short lived (see Wii Carnival) and there aren't enough good games

PS3 - I don't have one so I won't comment

twinzs
10-03-2007, 11:02 AM
xbox- System can overheat easily. But good for online. Great for shooter games.

Wii- Very interactive. A lot of fun doesn't matter what your age is. Graphics not as good as other systems but game play is much better.

PS3- can't play PS2 games. (*don't have one)

HalJordanFan
10-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Xbox 360 - Better online, better games (all around) especially shooters, more bang for the buck all around.

Wii - Okay system. Fun for kids. Better for you to play as you'll actually get exercise. Graphics while not as good as the other systems aren't as bad as people here are making it seem.

PS3 - Was overpriced for a long time. Price is now coming down and with a BluRay will be a much better deal than before. Games IMO aren't as good as 360 selection. Sony just IMO killed this system by giving it a $600 price tag when it came out. It gave itself IMO "Black Sheep" status and I don't think it'll ever bounce back from that.

Johnneeukca
10-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Better online games = subscription, right? Can't imagine they do it for free.

RE: PSP, doesn't it have the ability to connect wirelessly to the PS3 for hard drive content? How effective is that?

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 12:14 PM
PS3- can't play PS2 games. (*don't have one)

Thats not correct. There have been firmware upgrades to allow PS2 game playback.

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 12:15 PM
XBOX 360- Great graphics and games. System can over heat. I just got an Xbox360 Elite, and it runs MUCH quieter than my regular xbox360. My old one sounded like my washing machine sometimes. My elite has yet to freeze up or heat up at all!
if you get an xbox, get an elite! The online play is great! They charge, but it has the best online network out of the three. I play my Xbox more than my PS3.

PS3- Beautiful graphics! IMO Heavenly sword is the best looking game I've ever seen. The online Network is free, but nowhere near as good as the Xbox live network. The Bluray player is great and Bluray movies are awesome! Just as good as HD movies, but the sound on HD is a little better IMO. The only downfall for this system is the lack of good titles which won't be the case soon anyways. The system runs exremely quiet, and I have yet to have any freeze up or heat up issues. Overall this is an awesome machine and will be the better of the two given some time for developers to make games. (Just my opinion guys, and keep in mind I own both systems and am non biased so don't start getting all butt-hurt!) The price is coming down as well for christmas or so I hear anyways.

Wii - Don't have one. I will get one for the Starwars Game so I can Play with the virtual lightsaber! Other than that, I have no desire to own one....

The xbox does have alot more games, so if you are looking for ome fun titles that you can play online with alot of people and don't want to wait 6 months to a year for that to happen with Sony, then get an Xbox360. Xbox will probably be around for awhile anyways as well.....or if you can, get both systems and who cares which one is better! You'll have both!

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't own either the Wii or the X-box. Both appear to be excellent though. The Wii appears to be alot of fun from what i have seen and read. The X-box has alot of games but so too does the PS2.

I do have the PS3 which i find to be an excellent piece of equipment with full 1080p output. I have the 60 gig harddrive and there is an 80 gig available. There will also be a 40 gig version due for release before Christmas with Spider-man 3 on BD thrown in. I have about four games and alot of PS2 games which can be played. I agree that there needs to be more BD-PS3 games released. There is a nice selection due for release before Christmas.

I know very little about the PSP.

BD and HD-DVD is a very personal choice with strong arguments for both sides. The picture is equal. HD-DVD has more interactivity if that is important to you. PiP will be available on all new BD players from end of October with existing players having firmware upgrades to allow for PiP playback. BD with its capacity advantage allows for PCM audio (uncompressed and widely regarded as the Standard). I have both HD-DVD and BD players but i have gotten off the fence and chosen a side as supporting both is only encourging this damn format war to continue. Before choosing check out which studios are exclusive to either format and see which films are more to your liking at the moment. Warner Brothers are currently the biggest neutral studio and most titles should be available on both formats eventually.

noseeb13
10-03-2007, 12:36 PM
PS3- Cons
Lack of exclusive titles, very hard to understand settings and network support at times. Seems like you have to be a computer wiz at times. A lot of system updates that have large leaps at times (which is great) at other times you ask why is this 100mb? Downloading updates via the system takes a very long time. Cross platform games are developed on Xbox first then modified for PS3. No Rumble, then Rumble coming up....Expensive, then cheaper, soon cheaper still (which alienates early adopters).
All these aside I still like playing Resistance, but it seems Sony has been more concerned with updating the system than getting some good games out there.

Pros- Blu Ray player, good graphics, great sound. System updates can provide expanded features. Good upcoming exclusive titles (Ratchet and Clank, God of War). PSP supported games/features upcoming.

I will go through the rest of the systems later.

HalJordanFan
10-03-2007, 12:53 PM
If were talking PSP vs. DS.

DS wins hands down. 10x better games.

Johnneeukca
10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
If were talking PSP vs. DS.

DS wins hands down. 10x better games.

I agree there's a damn site more games for the DS but the screen seems way too small for me.

Overall, this is cool guys. It's nice to get the "layman's" view on the systems. Having a huge number of games isn't the highest priority for me, as I tend to buy a game, play it until I beat it, then buy another. I tend not to have a load of games on the go at once.

goodydog12
10-03-2007, 01:58 PM
I have everything on the list but a DS. Each thing has a positive. i don't regret owning any system, but sometimes I feel that I don't need a 360 and a PS3 due to the fact that most games are on both systems these days, but exclusives are starting to come out now.I have the HD-DVD Xbox player and I dont really see a big difference between bluray or hd-dvd. It's nice to have both players as some movies come out for onee and not the other.

Red X
10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I have a PS3, a Wii, and a DS...I love them all. I'm about to go buy a new slim PSP because I feel the DS is aimed at younger crowds and not hardcore gamers.

PS3 is great, awesome graphics, great exclusives, blu-ray built in, backwards compadability, and free online gaming.

Wii is great for the control and the graphics aren't that bad.

I love blu-rays they are much cleaner and crisper.

Haven't experienced HD DVD, but they look mostly the same as blu-ray. 360 is ok.

Kujo
10-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I've got all put a PSP and PS3 as i can't justify spending that much on a console without any games. The xbox is great fun with a good variety of games and the 3rd party games look better on 360.

The wii is ok for a short while, but soon becomes tiresome.... I only really bought one for Zelda and the up-coming NiGHTS and haven't touched it since finishing zelda not long after buying it.

The DS again is ok for a gimmick, but with little/no games coming out for it (that i wanna play) its been sat in my cupboard for over a year now.

PSP.... if i wanna play a PSP game, i'd rather play it full screen on the PS2

Red X
10-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I've got all put a PSP and PS3 as i can't justify spending that much on a console without any games. The xbox is great fun with a good variety of games and the 3rd party games look better on 360.

The wii is ok for a short while, but soon becomes tiresome.... I only really bought one for Zelda and the up-coming NiGHTS and haven't touched it since finishing zelda not long after buying it.

The DS again is ok for a gimmick, but with little/no games coming out for it (that i wanna play) its been sat in my cupboard for over a year now.

PSP.... if i wanna play a PSP game, i'd rather play it full screen on the PS2

Yea but the whole point of the PSP is you can play them on the go. And PSP and PS2 don't share the same games.

Nights on the wii looks terrible.

In terms of power PS3 edges out the 360. Developers just suck at utulizing the blu-ray disc...since it's new but in terms of games, I'd go with SONY. You have some great exclusives with them...Resistance, Heavnely Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid Online, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII Versus, HAZE, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Ratchet & Clank: Future, Gran Turismo 5, not to mention the new God of War 3 game.:buttrock:

Endless Wake
10-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I'd go with SONY. You have some great exclusives with them...Resistance, Heavnely Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid Online, Killzone 2, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII Versus, HAZE, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Ratchet & Clank: Future, Gran Turismo 5, not to mention the new God of War 3 game.:buttrock:PS3 needs exclusives if its going to make it. Didn't they lose a few exclusives before because not enough consoles were sold?

Red X
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
PS3 needs exclusives if its going to make it. Didn't they lose a few exclusives before because not enough consoles were sold?

I just listed all exclusives...Ummm not really I mean Devil May Cry was an PlayStation exlcusive...but Ninja Gaiden was a 360 exlcusive and we have that...both consoles have exlusives from last gen that are switching into mulit-platform.

But I mean there's alot of kick ass games coming to the PS3. And SONY and Rockstar just struyck a deal that will put the next GTA as a PS3 exclusive:

http://www.hdgamenews.com/2007/10/sony-secures-exclusive-for-grand-theft.html

So all GTA fans will need to buy a PS3 if they want to play the next installment after 4 hits.

And the new 40GB PS3 is official:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825213p1.html

With lower price in time to ship for the holidays, and the 60GB is dropping in price as well.

snappahead
10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
360-The best game library at the moment, but poor console design causing a ridiculous percentage of crashed systems. Great online, but many still complain about the relatively pricey admittance fee. I agree. They should lower it a bit. The greatest controller ever made IMO too.

Wii- Good system with a cool technology, but way to many poor games and too few good ones. This isn't exactly a new problem with Nintendo systems. The big N is almost always the only developer making good games for their consoles. Tons of cool DL content though.

PS3- Great system. From a hardware standpoint, my favorite of the three. Looks nice and has a whisper quite run. Has never crashed on me once in MANY hours of Oblivion playtime. Very reliable hardware. Lack of games and high price (in the beginning) has really hurt it. Free online, but not in the same league as XBL at the moment. PSN has almost nothing to offer for downloads at the moment as well. Compared to XBL and Wii channels anyways.

Kujo
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Yea but the whole point of the PSP is you can play them on the go. And PSP and PS2 don't share the same games.

I understand the point of a portable device... as long as it has some original content and not rehashes of current console titles. Play.com has the following in its top 10:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. GTA Vice City Stories
3. Fifa 08
4. Metal Slug Anthology
5. Crazy Taxi: Fair Wars
6. Pro Evo 6
7. Locoroco
8. Monster Hunter Freedom 2
9. Sims 2
10. Tigar Woods PGA tour 08

Out of the top 10 games, there are 2 original titles (Locoroco and Monster Hunter Freedom 2) and 3 rehashes of the same game (FF, GTA, Crazy Taxi)... the rest are out of PS2.

Nights on the wii looks terrible.

And you're compairing this to what? Of course it doesn't look as good as a PS3 or 360... the Wii is only just more powerful than an original X-box... its the innovation that Nintendo is going for in the generation, not how many floating points they can calculate and how many pixels their pipelines can push.

In terms of power PS3 edges out the 360. Developers just suck at utulizing the blu-ray disc...since it's new but in terms of games, I'd go with SONY.

By these comments you obviously don't know what you're talking about. BD has nothing to do with making the games. The reason games that are on both consoles look worse on the PS3 is because there were initially designed on the 360 (which uses very easy SDK's based on DX and Windows) and are ported over to the PS3 which had far more complicated hardware and developers are (at the moment) finding it very difficult (with the useless tools Sony provide for their consoles) to utilise its power.

This is because it isn't like conventional processors which take in and execute instructions internally out of order to execute as many instructions as possible.

Cell has a regular microprocessor called the Power Processor Element (PPE) which sets up tasks for the 8 Synergistic Processor Elements (SPE) (which is what people refer to as the other "cores"). The PPE deals with the OS and most of the application, but anything that is demanding is passed to the SPE's.

This is where the problems come in. Because the PPE is a simple CPU, the compiler needs to to deal with some of the scheduling work usually done by the CPU. This means that the developers need to actually tell the processor what tasks they need to send to the SPE's and so optimise the performance.

Granted, the PS3 IS a phenominally powerful machine, but i can't see us seeing its power for a LONG time because it will take a long time to figure out and write new code which will sufficiently allocate the tasks without hindering the performance.

Lastly.....

I just listed all exclusives...Ummm not really I mean Devil May Cry was an PlayStation exlcusive...but Ninja Gaiden was a 360 exlcusive and we have that...both consoles have exlusives from last gen that are switching into mulit-platform.

GTA 4, Assasins Creed, Devil May Cry 4, Virtua Fighter 5, Fatal Intertia have all confirmed lost PS3 exclusives, with talks of Beautiful Katamari being scraped for the PS3 all together.

There still also talks of MSG 4 and Resident Evil 5 only having limted exclusive periods for PS3, then having a 360 release.

Well, there is my rant over, and a free lesson on Cell basics, hahaha....

Wow, that was a loooooooong post

snappahead
10-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm going to pretend I said everything Kujo just said.

I'll add one note. RE5 was part of MS' E3 presentation, so I have to assume that deals been inked. Don't know anything about a delayed release, but it's definitely coming to 360.

Kujo
10-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm going to pretend I said everything Kujo just said.

I'll add one note. RE5 was part of MS' E3 presentation, so I have to assume that deals been inked. Don't know anything about a delayed release, but it's definitely coming to 360.

haha, the techy geek in me was dying to get out.:confused2

i forgot that the E3 vid was on a 360... so its a pretty much defo!

Brru
10-05-2007, 09:35 PM
360 - I absolutely love the games and the graphics. I do not have a High rez (I dont call it HD cause thats a dumb term) TV or anything and the graphics are still really nice, but it definately shines at higher resolution. Online gameplay is good in my opinion (its the best out there) but I have a problem paying mostly.

Its an expensive console for someone without a lot of money. I mean that like you spend a lot to buy it, you spend a lot on games, you spend a lot on subscription, you spend a lot on points, and you spend a lot when it breaks (unless you buy a warranty or something). Over all Microsoft is capitalist in areas that they dont necessarily need to be.

PS3 - I dont own this but Ive played it a lot with my girlfriends brother and its got the best graphics of any hands down. I also like the games they do have out.

The problem with it is that nobody programs for it, so no games as everyone has said already.

Sony on the other hand has been doing bad since about 2003 on everything. All of there departments really went into the crapper and they do not care about there customers a bit. I have had a lot of bad experience with them, so that probably makes me bias.

Wii - Honestly, this system scares the living crap out of me just because of how much potential it really has. Sure the graphics suck, but I dont think I have ever cared. Who wants to see Mario's shirt flap in the breeze realistically as he jumps. The games just are not based on the graphics like a lot of the other consoles are.

What really scares me is that Im at the end of a generation. Nintendo is genius in getting parents to buy these for children. After all thats how every last one of us "gamers" were brought up. Its also the only reason we are so devoted to a specific game or console sometimes. So if you want a system that in ten years is still going to be around and fun at parties then the Wii is your boy. The children of today are going to be making games like this in the future and us Originaly Nintendo lovers are going to be outdated. Nintendo is in it for th elong term, not the money like the others (which has its pros and cons)

This is all just my opinion. If you dont like it....well...dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

Kujo
10-05-2007, 09:42 PM
360 - I absolutely love the games and the graphics. I do not have a High rez (I dont call it HD cause thats a dumb term) TV or anything and the graphics are still really nice, but it definately shines at higher resolution. Online gameplay is good in my opinion (its the best out there) but I have a problem paying mostly.

Its an expensive console for someone without a lot of money. I mean that like you spend a lot to buy it, you spend a lot on games, you spend a lot on subscription, you spend a lot on points, and you spend a lot when it breaks (unless you buy a warranty or something). Over all Microsoft is capitalist in areas that they dont necessarily need to be.

PS3 - I dont own this but Ive played it a lot with my girlfriends brother and its got the best graphics of any hands down. I also like the games they do have out.

The problem with it is that nobody programs for it, so no games as everyone has said already.

Sony on the other hand has been doing bad since about 2003 on everything. All of there departments really went into the crapper and they do not care about there customers a bit. I have had a lot of bad experience with them, so that probably makes me bias.

Wii - Honestly, this system scares the living crap out of me just because of how much potential it really has. Sure the graphics suck, but I dont think I have ever cared. Who wants to see Mario's shirt flap in the breeze realistically as he jumps. The games just are not based on the graphics like a lot of the other consoles are.

What really scares me is that Im at the end of a generation. Nintendo is genius in getting parents to buy these for children. After all thats how every last one of us "gamers" were brought up. Its also the only reason we are so devoted to a specific game or console sometimes. So if you want a system that in ten years is still going to be around and fun at parties then the Wii is your boy. The children of today are going to be making games like this in the future and us Originaly Nintendo lovers are going to be outdated. Nintendo is in it for th elong term, not the money like the others (which has its pros and cons)

This is all just my opinion. If you dont like it....well...dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

But, compare XB Live at £40 a year, to PS3's free online.... these things cost money to run and keep up to date. £40 a year for the best online experience there is is good stuff imo!

Red X
10-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I can't remember when Assassin's Creed was a Sony exclusive...

But SONY stole the likes of Ninja Gaiden, Midnight Club? Gotham some exlcuisve cruddy xbox racing game...some other exlcusives of the xbox have went cross platform as well.

Games such as Haze that started off multiplatform are now only on the PS3.

Nights for me just doesn't look like a good game period. Not comparing it to 360 or PS3 because the system can never do anything to compare to them. But Nights, just nothing about it makes me mildly interested. Very underwhelming, it's always basically been Sonic except in the air...very boring.

Bash the PS3 all ya want...makes no difference to me.

snappahead
10-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I can't remember when Assassin's Creed was a Sony exclusive...

But SONY stole the likes of Ninja Gaiden, Midnight Club? Gotham some exlcuisve cruddy xbox racing game...some other exlcusives of the xbox have went cross platform as well.

Games such as Haze that started off multiplatform are now only on the PS3.

Nights for me just doesn't look like a good game period. Not comparing it to 360 or PS3 because the system can never do anything to compare to them. But Nights, just nothing about it makes me mildly interested. Very underwhelming, it's always basically been Sonic except in the air...very boring.

Bash the PS3 all ya want...makes no difference to me.

What are you talkin about? I'm well versed in fanboy logic, but it never stops entertaining me.

Early on...Assassins Creed was ASSUMED to be PS3 exclusive because there hadn't been any mention of a 360 version. Ubisoft took a while to finally announce that a 360 version was in the works as well.

Sony didn't steal Ninja Gaiden. They simply made an updated version of the game for PS3. Ninja Gaiden 2 at the moment is exclusive for 360, but that could change. Either way...360 will still have Ninja Gaiden.

I honestly don't know anything about Midnight Club...

Exclusive for XBox= cruddy game.....gotcha. As far as I know, it's still a 360 exclusive as well. And it's a fantastic series. Believe it or not..systems you don't like/own will release good games.

"Other exclusives"..I can't argue such rock solid facts.

Yep. Haze is indeed exclusive. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Well, it's cool if you don't like Nights. I don't either actually. I know it was a beloved game back in the day when it first came out. Different strokes....

Who's bashing the PS3? This thread was for pointing out the shortcomings of all of the systems. I can tell you've made up your mind the PS3 is the best system out there, but even if that were true, (it's not) it still has problems like every other system does. Pointing out facts about a system isn't bashing.

Red X
10-06-2007, 01:14 AM
What are you talkin about? I'm well versed in fanboy logic, but it never stops entertaining me.

Early on...Assassins Creed was ASSUMED to be PS3 exclusive because there hadn't been any mention of a 360 version. Ubisoft took a while to finally announce that a 360 version was in the works as well.

Sony didn't steal Ninja Gaiden. They simply made an updated version of the game for PS3. Ninja Gaiden 2 at the moment is exclusive for 360, but that could change. Either way...360 will still have Ninja Gaiden.

Just because something isn't announced doesn't make it an exlcusive. Like you said assumed, so it never was actually a Sony exclusive, I don't remember if you or kujo claimed it was.

I was stating that Ninja Gaiden was a series that was exclusive to xbox consoles but the PS3 got Ninja Gaiden Sigma, update or not is still the franchise on another system.

Just as 360 is getting some former SONY exclusives: Devil May Cry, GTA IV, even RE games which is more of a Nintendo exclusive as of late.

Just as the PS3 is getting some former xbox exclusives: Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden, Eternal Sonata,
Kane & Lynch, Crossfire.

That's all I was saying. I personally am not a very big xbox fan and not a microsoft fan at all. But I love Sony and Nintendom, big surpirse huh?

I love my wii. But Nights just doesn't look like a very good game from what I've read up and seen so far. Smash Brothers and Galaxy are must owns for me though.

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Sales figures from each console's launch date through the end of July (and the end of August in Japan)
9 million for the Wii
8.9 million for the 360,
3.7 million for the PlayStation 3.
Now that I think about it Sony has very little time to catch up to Wii and 360. If PS3 takes another year or two to really take off Sony may lose out on a huge chunk of this gen's market, were talking 2009.

Imagine if Xbox releases the next gen console in five-years like they did with Xbox(2001) & 360(2006). That means in 2011 we'll see something new. If Sony drops the price and gets the games out they might make it but I doubt it.

Kujo
10-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Again, Newsweek revealed that Ubisoft had actually gone to Sony with an offer to make the game a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Although Sony did go through the trouble of asking Ubisoft to make it seem as if their multiplatform action game Assassin's Creed was indeed PS3 exclusive , it came out shortly after E3 that it would ship simultaneously on both platforms.

The brief flirtation with pretend exclusivity at E3 that year did get Assassin's Creed noticed, winning it several "PlayStation 3 Game of the Year" awards that it wouldn't have won otherwise.

Ubisoft actually went to Sony with an exclusive, and Sony played on it a bit. The whole gaming community "assumed" it was a PS3 title, because Sony made out it was.

As for Nights, this one may suck now, but when it came out in '96 it was an amazing game. They have updated the graphics and added wiimote functionality, but it still might be dated.

As far as i'm aware, Kane and Lynch has always been slated for both consoles. 360 was the first to show it, as it was the first to show Assasins Creed, GTA4 and RE5. I'm not 100% on this though.

Oblivion was an short term x-box exclusive because the PS3 wasn't out for it to be released on, lol

What games do you actually play Red?

Bullseye
10-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Who's bashing the PS3? This thread was for pointing out the shortcomings of all of the systems. I can tell you've made up your mind the PS3 is the best system out there, but even if that were true, (it's not) it still has problems like every other system does. Pointing out facts about a system isn't bashing.

It becomes bashing when all you have to say is negative things about the system (which is still new) and then bring up Sony are bad or Sony did this. I am not saying you are one of those but they are on here. To those people, "we get it your a Wii or XBox fan".

Kujo
10-06-2007, 06:46 AM
at the moment, there isn't a lot of good to say about the PS3... its expensive, multi-platform games look better on the 360, its hard to develop for, its online is sub-standard, most things are constantly delayed.

But like you said, it is still a new system, and its a system that has the potential to be around for a long time (Sony says 10 years i think) and with the theoretical power behind it, it doesn't suprise me

Sony really needs to get exclusives, or get the multi platform developers to do PS3 stuff first (so its not an xbox port). And, of course, some MAJOR price cuts as its still more expensive than most consoles have been on release day.

Anyway, call it what you like, we are all going to have our preferences. I used to be a fan of the PS2 as it had a good selection of games (from the start) and wasn't too bad to develop for. To me, the PS3 has Sony's greed written all over it

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Now that I think about it Sony has very little time to catch up to Wii and 360. If PS3 takes another year or two to really take off Sony may lose out on a huge chunk of this gen's market, were talking 2009.

Imagine if Xbox releases the next gen console in five-years like they did with Xbox(2001) & 360(2006). That means in 2011 we'll see something new. If Sony drops the price and gets the games out they might make it but I doubt it.Error on my part. The original Xbox came out in 2001 and the 360 came out in 2005, just four years apart. This means MS could have the next gen out just when PS3 is taking off. I don't expect it in 2009 but 2010 is a real possibility.

oxbeard
10-06-2007, 08:01 AM
My take:

Wii -- is excellent for more family oriented gaming. Granted the graphics aren't mind blowing like some available on 360 and PS3 but it more than makes up for that with game play. Ours is centrally located in the house and sees a lot of activity with the kids and 'group gaming'. Just all around fun.

360 -- just finally got one for Halo3. Still learning mine but love it so far. Actually find that online and games are handsdown better than PS3. Still hoping that since just getting one that I will avoid some of the hardware breaks and plagues that so many have experienced.

PS3 -- actually bought primarily for a second BR player. I have really tried to use it for gaming to but really just can't tear myself away from the 360 long enough to give it a fair run.

Actually trying to make a decision on a possible PSP or DS purchase as well.

Red X
10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Ubisoft actually went to Sony with an exclusive, and Sony played on it a bit. The whole gaming community "assumed" it was a PS3 title, because Sony made out it was.

As for Nights, this one may suck now, but when it came out in '96 it was an amazing game. They have updated the graphics and added wiimote functionality, but it still might be dated.

As far as i'm aware, Kane and Lynch has always been slated for both consoles. 360 was the first to show it, as it was the first to show Assasins Creed, GTA4 and RE5. I'm not 100% on this though.

Oblivion was an short term x-box exclusive because the PS3 wasn't out for it to be released on, lol

What games do you actually play Red?

Like what kind of games? What games have I recently played? Or what games am I currently playing?

Well I'm about to go pick up Phantom Hourglass for the DS. I am currently hooked on Resistance Fal of Man mulitplayer for the last few months, I love anything Metal Gear Solid, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat, Tekken. Mostr;y any FPS, fighters, and action/adventure.

I'm really looking foward to Umbrella Chronicles.

Bullseye
10-06-2007, 10:40 AM
at the moment, there isn't a lot of good to say about the PS3... its expensive, multi-platform games look better on the 360, its hard to develop for, its online is sub-standard, most things are constantly delayed.

But like you said, it is still a new system, and its a system that has the potential to be around for a long time (Sony says 10 years i think) and with the theoretical power behind it, it doesn't suprise me

Sony really needs to get exclusives, or get the multi platform developers to do PS3 stuff first (so its not an xbox port). And, of course, some MAJOR price cuts as its still more expensive than most consoles have been on release day.

Anyway, call it what you like, we are all going to have our preferences. I used to be a fan of the PS2 as it had a good selection of games (from the start) and wasn't too bad to develop for. To me, the PS3 has Sony's greed written all over it

The PS3 as you state should be around for 10 years. The XBOX has been updated twice since 2001. I don't here all the *****ing about people having to fork out more money on a new system.:confused: How many people here have bought the Xbox, then the 360 and now the Elite? And then complain about the expense of the PS3. Come on people lets get real. The XBox is like supporting your favourite soccer team who change their jersey every two years.

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
PS3 will be supported for 10 years (2016), but the PS4 will be out in 4-5 years (2011).

Bullseye
10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Where was this confirmed?

Bullseye
10-06-2007, 11:11 AM
There is a rumour of a 160GB PS3 coming out.
http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-72579.aspx

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Where was this confirmed?
I was wrong, PS4 may be out as soon as 2010;
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/04/dont-bother-picking-up-a-ps3-ps4-is-right-around-the-corner/

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 11:20 AM
There is a rumour of a 160GB PS3 coming out.
http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-72579.aspxI wonder why 2 HDMI ports? Even if the system doubles as your Blu-Ray player its still going to be connected to the same tv.

Bullseye
10-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I wonder why 2 HDMI ports? Even if the system doubles as your Blu-Ray player its still going to be connected to the same tv.

Someone mentioned media server.

Red X
10-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Well it's just the time span between system releases is every 5 years. By then technology has made a big enough jump and any longer the systems would lag far behind.

But the lifespans of systems are getting longer and longer in terms of support. This may not be true of Microsoft which dropped the xbox support like a brick as soon as the 360 was released. But SONY is still supporting the PS2, it was released in 2000.

So it's on it's seventh year and still the best selling console to date and has the largest installed fanbase. Sony would be stupid to drop all support for it.

I still think alot of PS2 owners are happy with the PS2 right now. I can see them playing it another year or so before upgrading. It's still be supported, a price drop to $99 is coming this holiday season and the game library is fantastic.

So alot of these PS2 owners are yet to get a PS3, they are waiting it out. Most likely for better games to hit and a price drop. Both are coming this holiday season. So on top of the holiday buying sprees. I see alot more PS3s being sold this season than last.

It's time for SONY to play catch up in terms of sales. And things are only looking up.

Spatial.Archite
10-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Nintendo is in it for th elong term, not the money like the others (which has its pros and cons)

What's even scarier is that Nintendo destroys the game division of Microsoft and Sony in terms of profitability. If I remember correctly, this was the first year Microsoft felt they'd turn a profit on their games division (they've posted losses every year since the Xbox's inception), but I believe that's shot due to the high cost of Xbox repairs and the extended warranties.

Once again, I believe Sony was projecting losses for the next few years due to the "slow adoption rate" of the PS3 and the PSP dying sort of a slow death. I personally don't get their strategy, they criticized Microsoft for having two models at launch, but how many SKUs has Sony had in under a year?

Not that either Sony or Microsoft are going to go out of business, but you do have to worry about stockholder apprehension (especially in Microsoft's case) when a specific division continually posts losses in the hundreds of millions (even billions at times).

Nintendo's a very savvy company and knows what they're doing; but that's to be expected from a company well over 100 years old.

outlikealight
10-06-2007, 01:02 PM
The PS3 as you state should be around for 10 years. The XBOX has been updated twice since 2001. I don't here all the *****ing about people having to fork out more money on a new system.:confused: How many people here have bought the Xbox, then the 360 and now the Elite? And then complain about the expense of the PS3. Come on people lets get real. The XBox is like supporting your favourite soccer team who change their jersey every two years.

You are such a Sony homer that it is really clouding your views. With posts like this you lose so much credibility. Stick to the HD DVD/Blu ray area where you at least make some valid points and don't sound like the village idiot. This is supposed to be an objective discussion about the systems. All you manage to bring to the discussion is uninformed comments reeking of homerism. If you can't be objective please refrain from posting on this topic.

Out

Natrix
10-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I wonder why 2 HDMI ports? Even if the system doubles as your Blu-Ray player its still going to be connected to the same tv.

The PS3 was originally going to have dual HDMI ports to allow connection to two monitors for games that would support it.

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I still think alot of PS2 owners are happy with the PS2 right now. I can see them playing it another year or so before upgrading. It's still be supported, a price drop to $99 is coming this holiday season and the game library is fantastic. I have a lot of friends who are still very happy with their PS2s and at $99 thats a great deal. I wonder if new PS2 sales hurt those of PS3?

snappahead
10-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Well it's just the time span between system releases is every 5 years. By then technology has made a big enough jump and any longer the systems would lag far behind.

But the lifespans of systems are getting longer and longer in terms of support. This may not be true of Microsoft which dropped the xbox support like a brick as soon as the 360 was released. But SONY is still supporting the PS2, it was released in 2000.

So it's on it's seventh year and still the best selling console to date and has the largest installed fanbase. Sony would be stupid to drop all support for it.

I still think alot of PS2 owners are happy with the PS2 right now. I can see them playing it another year or so before upgrading. It's still be supported, a price drop to $99 is coming this holiday season and the game library is fantastic.

So alot of these PS2 owners are yet to get a PS3, they are waiting it out. Most likely for better games to hit and a price drop. Both are coming this holiday season. So on top of the holiday buying sprees. I see alot more PS3s being sold this season than last.

It's time for SONY to play catch up in terms of sales. And things are only looking up.

Well, in Microsoft's defense, the original XBox probably would've lived alot longer if the roles were reversed. As you say..the PS2 is still making Sony alot of money so they had no reason to try and get the PS3 out the door first. MS on the other hand was losing that war pretty badly and wanted to beat Sony out the gate with the new console. Strictly from a business standpoint, it makes sense.

Yeah, I'll certainly agree that the XBox lifecycle is short, but it's really just MS trying to stay one step ahead of Sony who's been kicking their a$$es from day one....until now. As it turned out, it's proven to be a smart move.

snappahead
10-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Hehe..I think most of us have grown immune to Bulls Sony lovin. I usually just enjoy his posts more than anything. It's hard not to get a kick out of blind devotion like that. So, I say post away Bulls. You're more than welcome.

It's funny that he takes a shot at the Elite though. Exactly how many models of the PS3 have they released? And now there's talk of a 160 gig model. Sweet.

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 07:28 PM
About the exclusives; Why is Sony's greatest movie property, Spider-Man, available for other consoles?!

snappahead
10-06-2007, 08:18 PM
About the exclusives; Why is Sony's greatest movie property, Spider-Man, available for other consoles?!

Good question. It must have something to do with money LOL. They must make more money on it by releasing Spidey games on every platform on earth than they ever could just keeping it to themselves.

Red X
10-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Well like you said it's a movie property. They don't own the rights to the games. Activison owns the rights to MARVEL license games. Sony does not, only the movie rights.

Endless Wake
10-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Well like you said it's a movie property. They don't own the rights to the games. Activison owns the rights to MARVEL license games. Sony does not, only the movie rights.I mentioned it because I read an article predicting the demise of the PS3 back in 2006 and one of the only things going for it was exclusive games for the hit Spider-Man franchise and here we are a year later and those games are on every system.

Devils Drifter
10-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I love my X-Box 360. I like the live experience, I like the fact that it can connect to my computer, play music on my hard drive, see pics and videos. This thing is a powerhouse and of course Halo.

I will be picking up a Nintendo Wii later this year because I like some of the upcoming games and I have to pick up Zelda but for now there is no reason to pick up a PS3. Maybe when God of War 3 comes out and even then I may wait till the price drops.

- DD

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Halo is currently owned bu Universal and Fox has distribution rights to the film.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 08:52 AM
You are such a Sony homer that it is really clouding your views. With posts like this you lose so much credibility. Stick to the HD DVD/Blu ray area where you at least make some valid points and don't sound like the village idiot. This is supposed to be an objective discussion about the systems. All you manage to bring to the discussion is uninformed comments reeking of homerism. If you can't be objective please refrain from posting on this topic.

Out

I thought about deleting this post but then changed my mind. It perfectly fits your ability to slag someone down the line with no ability to do so face to face. I have no problem debating issues but no more of the name calling.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Hehe..I think most of us have grown immune to Bulls Sony lovin. I usually just enjoy his posts more than anything. It's hard not to get a kick out of blind devotion like that. So, I say post away Bulls. You're more than welcome.

It's funny that he takes a shot at the Elite though. Exactly how many models of the PS3 have they released? And now there's talk of a 160 gig model. Sweet.

Snappa where have i slagged off the Elite or the Xbox for that matter. If you read back to my original post you will see i said the Xbox was a good system.:confused:

If you are concerned with volume of games available then hold off on the PS3. If you want a cheap BD player that also plays PS2 and the current "small amount" of PS3 games then buy the PS3. You won't regret it.

No where have i ever stated that you will regret buying the XBox or Wii yet i see a whole lot of XBox fanboys slagging off the PS3 everychance they get.

snappahead
10-07-2007, 09:23 AM

If that ain't a shot, Bulls...I don't know what is. It's all gravy, but don't pretend that you don't have it in for the 360 after you make comments like this. Wear your fanboy colors with pride! The PS3 is in it's first year and it's already "changed jerseys" 4 times. I direct alot of these comments at you cause you're like the Sony rep on these boards.

If you've read my posts, you'll know that I ALREADY own a PS3. It's primarily used as a PS2, but I do have one and I've complimented it in many posts for being a nice piece of hardware. I even said it's my favorite piece of hardware on the market somewhere in this very thread....strictly in terms of hardware. I have the 60 gig model with the emotion engine built in BTW.

I think in general, when people crack on the PS3, it's not the system they're insulting, but Sony. They've made alot of "interesting" desicions with this console that've really pissed off alot of gamers. That and it's easy to crack on the king of the hill. The Playstation is such a force in the gaming market that even the bottomless pockets of MS seem like an underdog. And that's proven to be true. Despite a terrible first year, many people STILL predict that the PS3 will win this generation...just on name alone. Certainly is the case for Europe and Japan.

bullethole
10-07-2007, 10:07 AM
With the exception of a DS ,I own them all.

for games the 360 gets 90% of my playtime .
-cant upscale dvds-no HDMI
-one died on me already,had to be sent back .
-has great online service -worth the subscription fee.
-downloadable content --movies, demos game add-ons
Dead Rising,Gears of War,Madden 08,Guitar Hero 2 all faves

PS3-great for dvds-upscales regular dvds to 1080p w/HDMI cable .
game ports usually look and play better on 360(Madden)
Heavenly Sword and Motorstorm-awesome

PSP-great on the road
-library is weak -looking foward to God of War
-Hard to rip DVDs or transfer video
-UMD movies =dead

Wii
fun for a while ..wiii remote is kinda not intuitive to me .I prefer a standard control scheme.
- classic games rock.wish they had more
-want Resident Evil :Umbrella chronicles

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 10:20 AM
If that ain't a shot, Bulls...I don't know what is. It's all gravy, but don't pretend that you don't have it in for the 360 after you make comments like this. Wear your fanboy colors with pride! The PS3 is in it's first year and it's already "changed jerseys" 4 times. I direct alot of these comments at you cause you're like the Sony rep on these boards.

If you've read my posts, you'll know that I ALREADY own a PS3. It's primarily used as a PS2, but I do have one and I've complimented it in many posts for being a nice piece of hardware. I even said it's my favorite piece of hardware on the market somewhere in this very thread....strictly in terms of hardware. I have the 60 gig model with the emotion engine built in BTW.

I think in general, when people crack on the PS3, it's not the system they're insulting, but Sony. They've made alot of "interesting" desicions with this console that've really pissed off alot of gamers. That and it's easy to crack on the king of the hill. The Playstation is such a force in the gaming market that even the bottomless pockets of MS seem like an underdog. And that's proven to be true. Despite a terrible first year, many people STILL predict that the PS3 will win this generation...just on name alone. Certainly is the case for Europe and Japan.

No its not a shot at the XBox ( I have played the XBox and see no problems with it) but the people who claim that the PS3 is too expensive when alot of those people who have invested in the XBox probably not all mind you have probably updated each time as they want the best possible model available and i don't have a problem with it.

With regard to the PS3 and the different capacities i see it much as i see the Apple iPods. There are different models for different budgets. There will be the low budget 40gig and the current high budget 80gig. The reported 120gig again will be for people who can afford it.

I resent anyone claiming i have had a shot at the XBox. Read my first post again. Its a good system with plenty of games.

Endless Wake
10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't have it out for PS3, just Sony's handling of it. I'm sure in two years most of us will own a PS3, but will it have enough time to catch up with 2nd place Xbox is the question. I truly doubt it can nab 1st place back from the Wii.

snappahead
10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
No its not a shot at the XBox ( I have played the XBox and see no problems with it) but the people who claim that the PS3 is too expensive when alot of those people who have invested in the XBox probably not all mind you have probably updated each time as they want the best possible model available and i don't have a problem with it.

With regard to the PS3 and the different capacities i see it much as i see the Apple iPods. There are different models for different budgets. There will be the low budget 40gig and the current high budget 80gig. The reported 120gig again will be for people who can afford it.

I resent anyone claiming i have had a shot at the XBox. Read my first post again. Its a good system with plenty of games.

That's a strange assumption to make Bulls. I don't know anyone that's bought more than one 360 model and I can't imagine many that would. The different 360 sku's are no different than the PS3 sku's. As you put it...models for different budgets. I personally don't care for them and wish both sides would make one model and stick with it like they use to, but new sku's seem to be the wave of the future. In regards to the price thing...I totally agree with people who said it was too high. The Playstation is called the Playstation for a reason. It's for PLAYING games. As a gaming console, the price was too high. Sony has heard this and is trying to correct it. What made people mad was being forced to pay extra for their gaming console because of a BD drive they didn't ask for.

You shouldn't resent anything I've said. You're a Sony nut and there's nothing wrong with that. But I still believe that you can't love something as much as you do without holding something against it's biggest competitor. Just saying. You say you don't take shots...alright. Even if you don't mean to, I think you do at times. It's mostly when your'e coming to Sony's defense, but still. You can't help it LOL.

Like I've said in the past..I respect your opinion. You're loyalty runs deep, but your'e not blinded by it. Not totally anyways;)

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 10:39 AM
That's a strange assumption to make Bulls. I don't know anyone that's bought more than one 360 model and I can't imagine many that would. The different 360 sku's are no different than the PS3 sku's. As you put it...models for different budgets. I personally don't care for them and wish both sides would make one model and stick with it like they use to, but new sku's seem to be the wave of the future.

You shouldn't resent anything I've said. You're a Sony nut and there's nothing wrong with that. But I still believe that you can't love something as much as you do without holding something against it's biggest competitor. Just saying. You say you don't take shots...alright. Even if you don't mean to, I think you do at times. It's mostly when your'e coming to Sony's defense, but still. You can't help it LOL.

Like I've said in the past..I respect your opinion. You're loyalty runs deep, but your'e not blinded by it. Not totally anyways;)

While i have a Sony TV i am hardly a nut:) I have mainly Pioneer DVD players and will purchase the Pioneer Elite Blu Ray when it becomes available. I would never purchase a Sony MP3 player, any of their amps or speaker systems. I prefer either Yamaha or Denon for amps/receivers and Bowers and Wilkins for speakers. Its unfortunate that people are against BD simply because Sony are heavly involved yet there are great companies like Panasonic, Sharp, Pioneer, Denon etc also backing the BD camp but its getting lost in the debate.

The misconception about BD is that its Sonys baby when infact its is as much Philips and Panasonics baby as well.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 10:43 AM
That's a strange assumption to make Bulls. I don't know anyone that's bought more than one 360 model and I can't imagine many that would. The different 360 sku's are no different than the PS3 sku's. As you put it...models for different budgets. I personally don't care for them and wish both sides would make one model and stick with it like they use to, but new sku's seem to be the wave of the future.

I bet there have been alot of people who have updated consoles. If they spent $300 on a system and bought a new one in 2 years, thats only $150 per year. Most gamers probably send 4 times that amount on games alone if not more.

I have no problems with capacities and see it as an evolution of the market. Its similar to someone buying an entry level BMW as they cannot afford the top of the range model. Same with the differently priced models of a gaming console or MP3 player.

El Diablo
10-07-2007, 10:50 AM

2 HDMI ports would be very useful for someone like me with more than one display, 1 connected to my plasma & 1 to my projector it would certainly save swapping the cable all the time :banghead:

Endless Wake
10-07-2007, 10:53 AM
2 HDMI ports would be very useful for someone like me with more than one display, 1 connected to my plasma & 1 to my projector it would certainly save swapping the cable all the time :banghead:I was doing that with my 360 and cable box and it drove me nuts so I finally got another cable off ebay for $5 bucks (works great!).

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 10:54 AM
I agree El. Manuacturers need to provide these with more than one or two HDMI's. I had to buy a switcher box on the bay which works great but there should be no reason whey they are not standard.

snappahead
10-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Who're you tryin to fool, Bulls! LOL..I like to bust your chops.

Sure, there's bound to be some hardcore guys out there that bought the Elite when they already owned a Pro, but they've gotta be in the vast minority. That's a comparison of choices though. The Elite came out fairly recently. PS3 is still in year one with 4 skus and none of those sku's give you the choice to not have to buy the BD drive. People compare the HD DVD add-on of the 360 and say "the price is just as high with the add-on" (this was when the good PS3 was $600), but the key word is add-on. MS gave you that choice. Sony didn't.

I agree that sku's COULD be a good thing...but not 4 in a year. Maybe one around the middle or toward the end of it's lifecycle and that's enough IMO. To me 4 sku's is an indication that Sony doesn't know where the sweet spot is at the moment and is just experimenting at the expense of the consumers. Especially this new non BC crap.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 11:03 AM
But wasn't the PS3 originally not BC and now is with a firmware upgrade?

The 120 gig is still only a rumour but no doubt it will probably happen down the line when more games become available.

snappahead
10-07-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree El. Manuacturers need to provide these with more than one or two HDMI's. I had to buy a switcher box on the bay which works great but there should be no reason whey they are not standard.

They're not standard cause about 90% of the market wouldn't use them. I'm confused. Why did you have to buy a switcher box because a unit only had one hdmi port? As far as I know, the only function for two hdmi ports on a PS3 is so you can have a picture split between to displays. How many people have the set up for that? Besides El Diablo that is. Average gamers won't even think of doing that. Hell, average gamers don't even have HD tvs yet.

snappahead
10-07-2007, 11:06 AM
But wasn't the PS3 originally not BC and now is with a firmware upgrade?

The 120 gig is still only a rumour but no doubt it will probably happen down the line when more games become available.

Actually the first PS3's came with the PS2 hardware built in so you could play PS2 games right outta the box. Then, the 80 gig came out which lacked the hardware and required firmware updates. Now, they're apparently doing wawy with BC all together on the 40 gig model.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
They're not standard cause about 90% of the market wouldn't use them. I'm confused. Why did you have to buy a switcher box because a unit only had one hdmi port? As far as I know, the only function for two hdmi ports on a PS3 is so you can have a picture split between to displays. How many people have the set up for that? Besides El Diablo that is. Average gamers won't even think of doing that. Hell, average gamers don't even have HD tvs yet.

I am not only referring to games consols but to all audio and visual equipment.

I bought a HDMI switcher box because the TV only had one HDMI input. I have the need for three inputs with the PS3, the HD-A1 and SKY-HD.

The General
10-07-2007, 12:29 PM
The misconception about BD is that its Sonys baby when infact its is as much Philips and Panasonics baby as well.

No way Bulls. There is no misconception here. If Blu Ray were the Yankees Sony would be George Steinbrenner. Also if they were the Yankees they would be down 2 games to none to the freak'n Indians.:banghead: Point is they are the face

These other companies and studios might have money riding on this too but this is clearly Sony's baby. You don't see Panasonic and Philips releasing statements saying the war is over, bragging of studio support or any of the things that Sony does. Good one though.:thumbs2:

outlikealight
10-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I thought about deleting this post but then changed my mind. It perfectly fits your ability to slag someone down the line with no ability to do so face to face. I have no problem debating issues but no more of the name calling.

Your a Sony homer and it just gets a little old. As I stated previously if you can't be objective then just don't post on this topic. I read your posts with some interest when it comes to Blu ray because I actually pick up some nuggets of information hidden in the blatant Sony propaganda. Your posts on this topic are really uninformed and you sound foolish. No objectivity at all. If you don't see it then that's your problem.
As far as slagging someone how in the world do you know I wouldn't slag someone face to face. You don't know me or anything about me. If your post's make you look like an idiot I'm going to tell you - on this board or face to face. At least when I make references about you it's based on your posts. You reference me as a coward based on nothing. If you want to hide behind your mod status be my guest. If you want to discuss game systems objectively then please stick around. If you want to continue the blatant homerism and expect no one to say anything then get lost.

Out

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Where are your comments on the topic. All i see from you is quoting.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 03:53 PM
No way Bulls. There is no misconception here. If Blu Ray were the Yankees Sony would be George Steinbrenner. Also if they were the Yankees they would be down 2 games to none to the freak'n Indians.:banghead: Point is they are the face

These other companies and studios might have money riding on this too but this is clearly Sony's baby. You don't see Panasonic and Philips releasing statements saying the war is over, bragging of studio support or any of the things that Sony does. Good one though.:thumbs2:

Sorry General your wrong.
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9789392-7.html

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Your a Sony homer and it just gets a little old. As I stated previously if you can't be objective then just don't post on this topic. I read your posts with some interest when it comes to Blu ray because I actually pick up some nuggets of information hidden in the blatant Sony propaganda. Your posts on this topic are really uninformed and you sound foolish. No objectivity at all. If you don't see it then that's your problem.
As far as slagging someone how in the world do you know I wouldn't slag someone face to face. You don't know me or anything about me. If your post's make you look like an idiot I'm going to tell you - on this board or face to face. At least when I make references about you it's based on your posts. You reference me as a coward based on nothing. If you want to hide behind your mod status be my guest. If you want to discuss game systems objectively then please stick around. If you want to continue the blatant homerism and expect no one to say anything then get lost.

Out

Hiding behind my Mod status?? So you can give it but not take it. Hey Marge is that you? :)

I have at least posted my opinions on the subject unlike you and your commentaries from the gallery or is that from sitting on the fence. I don't want to get into personal arguments with people i either do not know or wish to know.

I don't need your permission to stick around just as you do not need mine. Lets discuss your views on the subject rather than subject mine to your "homerism".

Objectivity? I have stated that the Xbox is a good system and that the Wii looks very enjoyable and that the PS3 is a great BD player and in time will satisfy the PS3 game fans. How is that for objectivity.

BTW the title includes reference to HD-DVD and Blu Ray.

Juggernaut
10-07-2007, 05:15 PM
I will buy HD before I buy BR. If and when I buy a PS3I will have BR there.

HD DVD's from all around the world can play on a european HD player. Sony BR has region coding.

That fact alone makes HD better.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I will buy HD before I buy BR. If and when I buy a PS3I will have BR there.

HD DVD's from all around the world can play on a european HD player. Sony BR has region coding.

That fact alone makes HD better.

Not all are region free Jugs. Fox are region coded as are new releases from Sony but all WB and Sony (films over 1 year old) , NL and most of Disney are Region Free. Whomever wins the format war will have to provide region encoding anyway as Fox and New Line are insisting on it for new films.

Here is a link for region free and region encoded discs.
http://www.allaboutbluray.co.uk/index.php?n=pages/willitplay

Juggernaut
10-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info bulls.

outlikealight
10-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Hiding behind my Mod status?? So you can give it but not take it. Hey Marge is that you? :)

I have at least posted my opinions on the subject unlike you and your commentaries from the gallery or is that from sitting on the fence. I don't want to get into personal arguments with people i either do not know or wish to know.

I don't need your permission to stick around just as you do not need mine. Lets discuss your views on the subject rather than subject mine to your "homerism".

Objectivity? I have stated that the Xbox is a good system and that the Wii looks very enjoyable and that the PS3 is a great BD player and in time will satisfy the PS3 game fans. How is that for objectivity.

BTW the title includes reference to HD-DVD and Blu Ray.

I actually did not get the Marge comment until I started to type this reply and was going to call you Homer again. Touche!

I do find it humerous that you want to turn this into a my dick is bigger than your dick contest but I'm really not surprised. First you imply I'm a coward which couldn't be further from the truth. It is highly unlikely I will catch a plane to Ireland to futher this discussion. And besides, I'm a grown up and while I may have settled this another way in my youth I'm smart enough to keep it a civil discussion now. And now the Marge comment. It's amazing what you can get away with if you are a mod huh. I can't state your comments are idiotic but you can imply I'm a coward or your *****. I guess when you have 20,000 posts on a statue message board you probably feel you can say or do whatever you want. Absolutely pathetic.

As far as my views I don't feel the need to alway's push them on everybody but since you asked I'll state them.

I own all the video game systems in question and seperate Blu-Ray and HD DVD players so no speculation on things from my end. I am almost 40 and an avid video game player. I'm not hardcore but more than recreational.

Wii - This is a nice little system for what it is. The fact that it does not have high def graphics makes it difficult for me to really enjoy. It has a fair amount of games but I have only found a few truly enjoyable. The controls on many games are a pain in the @ss. This is the favorite system of guests at my house. The average person who is not really into video games just loves this thing. Party's go really late because people are playing this and ignoring the PS 3
and 360.

PS 3 - This has been a really good blu-ray player and a giant paperweight as a gaming system. It does a great job as a blu ray player and for that reason I have not regretted the purchase. The need to have a seperate blu tooth remote is a pain because I can't run it with my Harmony remotes. The lack of games for almost a year is inexcusable I bought Resistance initially and then did not buy another game until Warhawk and Heavenly Sword. Online play is very important to me and X Box live completely buries what Sony offers online at this time. Graphics have been nothing special until Heavenly Sword. The graphics there are spectacular and you can see some potential. The fact that they lost so many exclusives and are still concentrating so much on the PS 2 is really irritating.
I think Microsoft really caught them off guard with how fast they were able to bring out a next gen system. They also keep making one stupid mistake after another. The first was the price and a release with almost no games. It felt like they were rushing it out a year early because they had to to counter Microsoft. This system was not made for the average video game player/family. Not listening to game designers and their needs was an incredibly arrogant and stupid mistake that has already cost them and will continue to do so.

X BOX 360 - Right now this system is hands down the best there is as a video game system. The online experience is absolutely fantastic. I have made a lot of great friends through X box live and playing against real people makes for great videogaming and it is incredibly easy to use. The HD DVD add on is a decent but not spectacular player. It is an absolutely great time to be an X-Box owner at this time. There are some truly fantastic games out right now. Halo 3 and Bioshock are magnificent. Halflife Orange Box out this week and Call of Duty 4 in two weeks. I'll be in online warfare heaven. Lot's of games for all types of players. If I have had the choice to buy a game on either the PS3 or the 360 I alway's go with the 360. Why? Because I'm addicted to the gamer scores and accumulating them. What a simple but brilliant thing for Microsoft to include.

I am not a homer of any company. I just want the best video game experience and I don't care who gives it to me. Right now the better system is hands down the 360. It is delivering a great experience. The Wii is not my cup of tea but is enjoyable as a novelty experience in my household. The PS 3 will continue to be a paperweight until Sony pulls their head out of their butt and delivers something besides hot air.

Out

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Oh i'm sorry if my Marge comment upset you :) Was it really as insulting as "village idiot" or "homer"?Your comments on the systems are well thought out and i agree with them. But i would state that the PS3 is a new system wereas the XBox has been around since 2001.

DSET
10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
outlikealight

Warhawk and heveanly sword are selling pretty well rite now, not amazing well but decent.

Did u buy a 360 when it first came out?
By this time in its first year sony has almost 1 and a half times more to offer than 360 did.

You prefer 360 becuz of live and that is understandable, so do I.

But people like to keep on and on with what the masses are saying even though it is False.
Fact is Sony IS focusing on games
This x-mas they have a bigger exclusive list than any other console has slated since 2002. They are releasing games it is not they’re doing that lair was a flop and heavenly sword is average and warhawk has no single. If 360 didn’t beat Sony to the release, 360 and ps3 sales would be at a similar sales rate, however I do think the 360 would be selling a bit more due to price.

Sony is getting the games out there, they are AAA games and they’ve cost that much to develop. The fact that they’re not smash hits is wats effecting them right now, you cannot blame Sony for that.

Fact is by this time last year the best games on 360 are all third party games, as of now the best games on ps3 are all exclusives plus they have every third party game as well. And there is a ton of ps3 exclusives coming out this Q4 if UT3 makes its timed exclusive it will be about 9 AAA exclusives, 360 has three left and you can count halo3 and Bioshock as 2 more even tho they are q3 and ps3 still has a bigger list of games. I’m not saying Microsoft dropped the ball for that decision, they are smart, they don’t need to waste money on this Q4 they have HALO3. Whether PS3s exclusive games are amazing or not is yet to be determined.

Before you called Bulls a village idiot you failed to realize what he was referring to when he said that 360 changed their system. I thought bulls would have corrected you , maybe he didn’t intend to state the following but the difference between the 360 and ps3 upgrades is the PS3s aren’t vital. PS3s are upgrading ins storage which is not a change in the actual performance of the system it is just a luxury, 360 updated to HDMI which gives people like me with an HDDVD add on a reason to upgrade so we can watch movies hdmi @1080p. You can’t say that that is not a vital upgrade becuz VGA can do 1080p movies because its not as good quality VGA produces a washed out image, HDMI looks much better. Also the 360 now has a 65nm chip which improves or should improve the heating issues the 360 is having, plus the flacon systems also include the Benq drives make it run a lot less noisy than they do now. The falcon and the drive are not vital upgrades but the HDMI is, and I think they merit a lot more reason to upgrade than ps3s increase in storage does, so Bulls did have a point when he was saying that 360 is upgrading their system all the time.

outlikealight
10-07-2007, 07:21 PM
DSet,

I have high hopes for the upcoming games for the PS3. Nothing would please me more than to have games like the new Rachet and Clank be simply awesome. But the fact is that right now Sony has delivered nothing but hot air. And alot of it is their fault. They did not listen to game designers when they were creating the PS3. They may have had good intentions but the difficulty in making games for the PS3 is killing them.

Heavenly Sword looks simply awesome and I can only pray that this is an average looking game for the PS3.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are selling well because there simply aren't a lot of games to choose from.

I disagree that HDMI is a vital upgrade. The simple fact is that most people either can't take advantage of it due to older TV's or they don't understand the difference. HDMI and 1080P is great if you have a large display, say 40 inches or greater, and are sitting the proper distance. In my home theater I have 100" screen and my seating distance is 20 feet. I demoed both 720p and 1080P front projectors. The simple fact was that at that seating distance you could not tell the difference. Most people are playing games on TV's less than 40" and the ability to tell the difference between HDMI (1080p) and 720P is almost impossible. Could a videophile tell the difference, maybe. Will the average consumer be able to tell the difference or even care. I don't think so. So while HDMI is great for people like us on the cutting edge of technology, I don't believe it was a vital upgrade.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hitech/1137/maxing-out-resolution.html

I do however appreciate and respect your input.

Out

outlikealight
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I also would like to extend an olive branch to Bull's. Sometimes I am cranky and feel like a good arguement. Looking at my previous posts calling him a village idiot was just ..... ok I'll say it, Idiotic. Anyway, I apologize for my comments.

But your still a Homer Bull's ;) . And nothing will convince me you are not on Sony's payroll.

Out

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 07:29 PM
No problem Out. I admit to being a BD fanboy but i am not a Sony employee. If it helps i do know someone who works for them but they let me down when i tried to get a deal on the latest LCDs lol.

Alls good.

outlikealight
10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
I also shorted you 10,000 posts and for that I apologize as well. :laugh: :laugh:

Out

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 07:35 PM
LOL.

DSET
10-07-2007, 09:06 PM
DSet,

I have high hopes for the upcoming games for the PS3. Nothing would please me more than to have games like the new Rachet and Clank be simply awesome. But the fact is that right now Sony has delivered nothing but hot air. And alot of it is their fault. They did not listen to game designers when they were creating the PS3. They may have had good intentions but the difficulty in making games for the PS3 is killing them.

Heavenly Sword looks simply awesome and I can only pray that this is an average looking game for the PS3.

Heavenly Sword and Warhawk are selling well because there simply aren't a lot of games to choose from.

I disagree that HDMI is a vital upgrade. The simple fact is that most people either can't take advantage of it due to older TV's or they don't understand the difference. HDMI and 1080P is great if you have a large display, say 40 inches or greater, and are sitting the proper distance. In my home theater I have 100" screen and my seating distance is 20 feet. I demoed both 720p and 1080P front projectors. The simple fact was that at that seating distance you could not tell the difference. Most people are playing games on TV's less than 40" and the ability to tell the difference between HDMI (1080p) and 720P is almost impossible. Could a videophile tell the difference, maybe. Will the average consumer be able to tell the difference or even care. I don't think so. So while HDMI is great for people like us on the cutting edge of technology, I don't believe it was a vital upgrade.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hitech/1137/maxing-out-resolution.html

I do however appreciate and respect your input.

Out

I agree with what u say on hdmi yet Im just saying its vital in the sense that there is a reason to upgrade there is a change in the quality. storage is just storage, nothing really changes you know, and especially for everyone who watches hddvds on 360 hdmi because even more necessary, not to mention quiter system and 65nm chips. I definately agree that most people shouldnt upgrade for hdmi its a kind of waste unless u watch hddvds i would more so reccomend upgrading to 65nm before hdmi.

I dont know what the stories are when they were making the ps3 hardware but as far as what they are doing now, I think they are doing well. They are spending alot of money to get exclusive games, alot more than microsoft is or did how could they let go of bungie is beyond me its like sony loosing naughty dog, even when square enix went multi plat sony still paid to hold on to the original FF series and they did the same for mgs for the most part only whn a 3rd party developer stepped in did they port out twin snakes and mgs2 subsistense. Sony does good ad keeping devs exclusive, always have always will, they lost DMC hopefully thtas not a negative of things to come but it may be.

I agree Heveanly sword and warhawk are pretty much selling becuz theres not much else. But nevertheless sony went out of there way to get these exclusive out fast.

there are millions of threads on avs devoted to vga\componenet vs hdmi , if you have the money and a nice set which most people who watch hd do its worth it IMO.

Red X
10-07-2007, 09:39 PM
HDMI is vital for me.:buttrock:

The General
10-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry General your wrong.
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9789392-7.html

Wrong about what exactly? This is the first time that any company other than Sony has said anything like this. Well this is the first time this has ever happened as far as I know so technically I'm wrong but not dead wrong. This still doesn't prove anything anyway. Blu Ray is Sonys baby and 1 statement from Panasonic doesn't mean squat.

Sorry Bulls but you haven't proved anything. You've already admitted to being a Sony zombie so stop trying to make yourself look less zombie-ish with crazy posts... Is as much Panasonic and Phillips baby as it is Sony's... Come on Bulls - You don't even believe that crap.

snappahead
10-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Bulls, when you say the XBox has been out since 2001, I assume you mean the first XBox. That's completely irrelevant. The Playstation's been out since 95, but that's got nothing to do with the PS3 being a new system. I don't understand that comment. You include the lifecycle of the first XBox as part of the 360's?

I disagree with DSet too. The different PS3 models ARE more the just hd size options. The 60 gig model is the only model with the PS2 hardware built in. The 80 required a firmware update and the 40 MIGHT not have any bc. The 40 is also going to be missing some usb ports. Maybe not be a big deal to some, but since you mentioned the importance of the hdmi port, I figured it was worth mentioning the usbs. BC's a big deal to me, cause I always play older games on my systems too.

DSet, you make a lot of crystal ball comments. You predict what the sales would've been like if both consoles came out at the same time and also seem to know already that Sony has all the AAA games coming out. Lair was a "AAA" game until people started playing it. Noone knows if a games worth jack until they can actually try it.

You also say that PS3 exclusives list is bigger for this holiday...What are they? I honestly don't know what your'e talking about and can't see how PS3's lineup is any better than the 360's. I know this is objective cause you may be super-siked about something that doesn't mean anything to me, but I don't see it.

DSET
10-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Bulls, when you say the XBox has been out since 2001, I assume you mean the first XBox. That's completely irrelevant. The Playstation's been out since 95, but that's got nothing to do with the PS3 being a new system. I don't understand that comment. You include the lifecycle of the first XBox as part of the 360's?

I disagree with DSet too. The different PS3 models ARE more the just hd size options. The 60 gig model is the only model with the PS2 hardware built in. The 80 required a firmware update and the 40 MIGHT not have any bc. The 40 is also going to be missing some usb ports. Maybe not be a big deal to some, but since you mentioned the importance of the hdmi port, I figured it was worth mentioning the usbs. BC's a big deal to me, cause I always play older games on my systems too.

What a coincidence you’d think you’d agree with 1 of the ten points I’ve made recently (most people when arguing do), my guess is that you’ve got it out for me because u didn’t know about falcon and or you feel you have been loosing the arguments. Oh and I’m going to toot my own horn right now: I really don’t care: I called it a week in advance that the graphics in halo were lacking the textures were lacking and one week later an article came out stating that the game doesn’t even run natively in HD, how can I NOT know what I’m talking about when I made that comment. Anyone who doesn’t believe me can check the halo 3 thread.

Backwards compatibility is a good point, I almost forgot about that, however the Option Has ALWAYS been available, its not a degrade or an upgrade becuz its been there form day 1 if u want ps2 compatibility buy the system that is capable of it. So what if the system required an upgrade? most systems do, I had to upgrade my 360 to play hddvds properly what’s you’re point?!!. Some pc games don’t even work until you patch them doesn’t mean you had to re-purchase the game!
Same thing for USB there are still some ports are there not? U can still do whatever the hell it is that you’re doing? and even if you cant! you have the option of buying the system that DOES and you have since day 1. At the time of 360 sales in the first year and a half there was no option for hdmi, since the ps3s have been launched you’ve had the option for ps2 compatibility, wifi and usb ports, regardless u have the Option, thus it is not a necessary reason for anyone to upgrade or downgrade: they are simply customized cars.

And about you’re disagreement there has been some misunderstanding from you I don’t think the guy disagrees with my point once it was clarified, maybe he does. But guess what? because I’m a good and smart with facts at arguing you cant!!!, regardless of WHAT you or any idiots opinion is, HDMI changes the hardware (because of the way they implemented it), storage is an upgrade you can buy it on the side for those who want HDMI and there are a small crowd who do: it is necessary that you purchase a new system!
WiFi, USB and PS2 compatibility are available to you and have been from day 1: so buy the right system!!

Im not even gonna get started on the flacon chips necuz they are not a vital upgrade: if you knew technology geeks like I do it is a big deal tons of 360s go defective because of the heating isssues and they are changing the hardware more so than they did with the original XBOX from there first version to their last.

DSet, you make a lot of crystal ball comments. You predict what the sales would've been like if both consoles came out at the same time and also seem to know already that Sony has all the AAA games coming out. Lair was a "AAA" game until people started playing it. Noone knows if a games worth jack until they can actually try it.

LOL
You don’t even know what I mean when I say a AAA game.
Its just a term people who know gaming use, it doesnt actually mean the game is AAA quality, see difference between me and u is you’re arguing for the sake of arguing, you’re trying to find anything possible with what I say wrong.
AAA games mean there is hard work being pushed behind it; it’s got a large team which exceeds a certain amount, a long time in production etc etc it’s a big budget movie. A company that supports the production with allot of cash behind it, it is kind of a slang way of talking of these games, most people who talk about games allot use it all the time, its not a proper way of speaking but what can u do. To be more precise they are AAA productions\projects, for example Half life 2 is a AAA game (production) Counter strike (original) is not. I’ve never heard anyone refer to a game that is released already as a AAA game its basically the amount of effort being put into the project obviously of a game that is not yet released.
It’s a big budget movie.
Dakitana was a huge budget game they spend a couple years on it and it SUCKed

You also say that PS3 exclusives list is bigger for this holiday...What are they? I honestly don't know what you’re talking about and can't see how PS3's lineup is any better than the 360's. I know this is objective cause you may be super-siked about something that doesn't mean anything to me, but I don't see it.

LoL I named the list several times in other thread, if you paid any attention to this years e3 you’d know the list but since you asked for it.

You can’t argue better or not because as you said about crisys they are not out as yet.
These are just good productions and they are the exclusive list, not the overall amount of games because that would be stupid the third party games come out on both systems so they would just even be the same on both systems.

AGAIN I’m not saying these are going to be good games they are high in cost productions and they are exclusives ill just include form august on to make things easier.
I’m not saying ps3s list is better I’m saying BIGGER. And people saying Sony isn’t doing squat for gaming they are forking out huge amounts of cash and they are getting more exclusive games than any other console has done in a long time. So they ARE doing things right they are focusing on games, the games may suck (so far only 1 has) but sony is doing there job to get them OUT. One wrong thing It seems they may be doing is rushing them out( but who can blame them people are demanding games and quickly) from what I heard that is what happened with lair however they got a few months extra but the Sony demand for sixaxis screwed over the game play. Heavenly sword was not rushed from what I heard the crew spent meticulous hours working out the cut scenes art direction and lost sight of the length of gameplay. However if they needed the extra time to extend the game I’m sure Sony would have gave it to them however with the way they were working on it may have been pushed to 2008 and that would be disaster for the project.
And remember earlier I was comparing what 360 had to offer in its first q4 vs what ps3 has to this point and its more. And even now this upcoming xmas they have a bigger exclusive list which anyone who knows anything about gaming: helps.

PS3
Lair
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk

Folklore
Ratchet and Clank
Haze
Uncharted
UT3 (timed exclusive may or may not make it by Christmas due to recent statements)

Bioshock
Halo3

Mass effect
Viva Pinata

THATS IT
not better
bigger!!!!

I admit my calculations were wrong I said 9 to 4 its 8 to 4 or whatever it is regardless Sony has a lot of exclusive games this Q4 bigger than any other company has done in a long time.
Heavenly sword is a great game but short
Warhawk is great online but is lacking single
Folklore anyone who plays rpgs will love this games it supposed to be absolutely phenomenal
Already a sign of good things to come, people don’t see that they are doing things right because they just go with the masses and agree with what everyone is saying. If you research into it they are doing things right, the 1 year late is the main problem, second problem is the companies need to adapt to the new hardware its not only that its new but that its not as simple as the 360 dev kit is. Another problem was price and it sure as hell shouldn’t be after oct 30th.

Bullseye
10-08-2007, 03:50 AM

So the XBox 360 is really competing against the PS2;)

Bullseye
10-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Wrong about what exactly? This is the first time that any company other than Sony has said anything like this. Well this is the first time this has ever happened as far as I know so technically I'm wrong but not dead wrong. This still doesn't prove anything anyway. Blu Ray is Sonys baby and 1 statement from Panasonic doesn't mean squat.

Sorry Bulls but you haven't proved anything. You've already admitted to being a Sony zombie so stop trying to make yourself look less zombie-ish with crazy posts... Is as much Panasonic and Phillips baby as it is Sony's... Come on Bulls - You don't even believe that crap.

You specifically stated that no other company said the war would be over. I have provided a quote from Panasonic claiming exactly that. Oh and where did i say i was a Sony zombie. I said i was a BD fan. There is a difference.:thumbs2:

snappahead
10-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Wow, you sure read WAY more into my post than you should've Dset. Your'e condescending and rude all at once. Congrats! By the miles of text you posted, I'll take it to mean, I've pissed you off pretty good, but I don't really see why. Don't presume to know me. I get the feeling you have me pegged as some sort of Sony hater or some such which I've proven over and over that I'm not. I own a PS3 and enjoy it. I've never once said that PS3's lineup wasn't any good or that they'd fail in any way. I've always said the opposite in fact. I simply argued the point that I don't feel it's any better than the 360's. As I said though..it's subjective.

Whatever offense you took to what I said..you must have misread me. If I ask a question, I can pretty much assure you it's a genuine one. The PS3 exclusive list for example. I'm not going to go digging through your posts to find that answer. Who the hell does that? It was an honest question.

Please, do not try to insult me simply because you disagree with my opinion or think you know more than I do. I think it's clear that you take this stuff more seriously than I do, and I'm sure you do know more about the technical mumbo jumbo. Doesn't mean you have to be a tool about it. It just makes you look bad. Bulls has schooled me plenty of times as well as others about various technical things. They did it without the sarcasm or the condescension and you could too. With all that said, you made some good points.

Your'e right Bulls. Every console is still fighting the PS2. Even the PS3. It's gonna be a while before the PS2 has had it's last breath.

Juggernaut
10-08-2007, 06:53 AM
The only game I want for the Wii is the Zelda game.
Buying a consol just for one game is not money well spent.

Since people don't like the graphics on the Wii.
Are the graphics on Wii way better than on the Gamecube? Or is it just compared to PS3 and 360 that the graphics are poor?

The Wii Zelda is released for Gamecube as well.
Should I just get the Zelda game for the Gamcube then. Since I have a Gamecube?

snappahead
10-08-2007, 08:25 AM
The only game I want for the Wii is the Zelda game.
Buying a consol just for one game is not money well spent.

Since people don't like the graphics on the Wii.
Are the graphics on Wii way better than on the Gamecube? Or is it just compared to PS3 and 360 that the graphics are poor?

The Wii Zelda is released for Gamecube as well.
Should I just get the Zelda game for the Gamcube then. Since I have a Gamecube?

Graphics on the Wii are a tiny bit better than the graphics of the Gamecube. I've heard the Wii described as being a little more powerful than the original XBox. I think having the Wii side by side with the PS3 and 360 doesn't help it's case either. If I were you and only wanted Zelda, I would probably just get the Gamecube version. Visually, they'll be almost identical and the wiimote control isn't that much of a bonus for a Zelda game.

Bullseye
10-08-2007, 08:58 AM
I’d like to apologise to the original poster of this thread. I hope I did not come across as condescending or confrontational in my discussions with others. It was never my intention. I am sure there are more qualified gaming people on here to point you in the right direction with regards to the games console. I have owned a PS2 and currently own a PS3. I guess I am looking at it from a different point of view in that I employ the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. Sony is concentrating on the US and Japanese market at present as they are the two biggest consumers of electronic goods, and therefore in a way the EU market has been left behind a little. If you call into any electronics store here in Ireland you have very little choice at present. You have a Samsung BD player and the PS3. I have only seen the Toshiba HD-DVD player in one store so far. Hopefully Pioneer, Panasonic etc get their act together and provide a better choice which people currently have in the USA and Japan.
While I agree that people have rights to view their points with regard to the PS3 specifically to the cost and number of games available. I feel they are being inpatient in giving the games manufacturers and Sony more time to get games out. With firmware updates there is an enormous back catalogue of games from the PS2 which can be enjoyed on the PS3. Gradually more PS3 games are becoming available and this can only get better. While the PS2 and Xbox 360 enjoy a great backlog of games the PS3 is catching up. I say at least give it until next Christmas to prove its worth.
Remember there is always someone paying more than you. While $399 for the new PS3 maybe expensive we in Europe are on average paying $250 - $300 more for the same console.
I would also like to apologise to the other members here who find my “blu tinted” glass view of the format war to be annoying. I will restrict my views on the subject to the “What’s in your Blu Ray collection” in future and more specifically on the quality of the film and audio transfer. There is no point in these debates as both sides are so biased for their format it can only lead to unnecessary back and forth posting on the subject which I am sure people find tiring.

The General
10-08-2007, 10:01 AM
You specifically stated that no other company said the war would be over. I have provided a quote from Panasonic claiming exactly that. Oh and where did i say i was a Sony zombie. I said i was a BD fan. There is a difference.:thumbs2:

Like I said BD "fan" this was the first time I ever saw anyone other than Sony talk trash and it only happened 6 days ago. My main point is still true. Blu Ray is Sonys beeyotch.

Nice back peddling Bulls. Your footwork is on par with Muhammad Ali dude. Good stuff.:thumbs2:

Endless Wake
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
XBOX 360 to include free games Marvel Ultimate Alliance & Forza Motorsport 2.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9792614-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

DSET
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow, you sure read WAY more into my post than you should've Dset. Your'e condescending and rude all at once. Congrats! By the miles of text you posted, I'll take it to mean, I've pissed you off pretty good, but I don't really see why. Don't presume to know me. I get the feeling you have me pegged as some sort of Sony hater or some such which I've proven over and over that I'm not. I own a PS3 and enjoy it. I've never once said that PS3's lineup wasn't any good or that they'd fail in any way. I've always said the opposite in fact. I simply argued the point that I don't feel it's any better than the 360's. As I said though..it's subjective.

Whatever offense you took to what I said..you must have misread me. If I ask a question, I can pretty much assure you it's a genuine one. The PS3 exclusive list for example. I'm not going to go digging through your posts to find that answer. Who the hell does that? It was an honest question.

Please, do not try to insult me simply because you disagree with my opinion or think you know more than I do. I think it's clear that you take this stuff more seriously than I do, and I'm sure you do know more about the technical mumbo jumbo. Doesn't mean you have to be a tool about it. It just makes you look bad. Bulls has schooled me plenty of times as well as others about various technical things. They did it without the sarcasm or the condescension and you could too. With all that said, you made some good points.

Your'e right Bulls. Every console is still fighting the PS2. Even the PS3. It's gonna be a while before the PS2 has had it's last breath.

sorry I took what you took from my post from youre original post i thought you were taking a shot at me to begin with i guess I was wrong.:confused2 I apologize.

plus im tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over:
sony isnt doing ish for gamers: people havent been paying attention, they clearly are.

also on the games thing i never said ps3s list was btter
how can it be: Halo is gonna sell more than any other game no matter what you do.
All i said to begin with is that they have a bigger exclusive list, which is better in a sense but im not talking quality that u just have to find out in time.

El Diablo
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Wii - This is a nice little system for what it is. The fact that it does not have high def graphics makes it difficult for me to really enjoy. It has a fair amount of games but I have only found a few truly enjoyable. The controls on many games are a pain in the @ss. This is the favorite system of guests at my house. The average person who is not really into video games just loves this thing. Party's go really late because people are playing this and ignoring the PS 3
and 360.

PS 3 - This has been a really good blu-ray player and a giant paperweight as a gaming system. It does a great job as a blu ray player and for that reason I have not regretted the purchase. The need to have a seperate blu tooth remote is a pain because I can't run it with my Harmony remotes. The lack of games for almost a year is inexcusable I bought Resistance initially and then did not buy another game until Warhawk and Heavenly Sword. Online play is very important to me and X Box live completely buries what Sony offers online at this time. Graphics have been nothing special until Heavenly Sword. The graphics there are spectacular and you can see some potential. The fact that they lost so many exclusives and are still concentrating so much on the PS 2 is really irritating.
I think Microsoft really caught them off guard with how fast they were able to bring out a next gen system. They also keep making one stupid mistake after another. The first was the price and a release with almost no games. It felt like they were rushing it out a year early because they had to to counter Microsoft. This system was not made for the average video game player/family. Not listening to game designers and their needs was an incredibly arrogant and stupid mistake that has already cost them and will continue to do so.

X BOX 360 - Right now this system is hands down the best there is as a video game system. The online experience is absolutely fantastic. I have made a lot of great friends through X box live and playing against real people makes for great videogaming and it is incredibly easy to use. The HD DVD add on is a decent but not spectacular player. It is an absolutely great time to be an X-Box owner at this time. There are some truly fantastic games out right now. Halo 3 and Bioshock are magnificent. Halflife Orange Box out this week and Call of Duty 4 in two weeks. I'll be in online warfare heaven. Lot's of games for all types of players. If I have had the choice to buy a game on either the PS3 or the 360 I alway's go with the 360. Why? Because I'm addicted to the gamer scores and accumulating them. What a simple but brilliant thing for Microsoft to include.

I am not a homer of any company. I just want the best video game experience and I don't care who gives it to me. Right now the better system is hands down the 360. It is delivering a great experience. The Wii is not my cup of tea but is enjoyable as a novelty experience in my household. The PS 3 will continue to be a paperweight until Sony pulls their head out of their butt and delivers something besides hot air.

As an owner of all three systems aswell, I have to say those comments are pretty much exactly how I feel about each console also. What I would add, but what probably isn`t important to most, is the PS3 has by far the best build quality and features. It runs very quiet and feels like a high end piece of kit and includes stuff like the memory card slots and wifi. The 360 by comparison has a fairly cheap feeling being noisy and lacking some things I would have liked to be included from the off (mainly wifi).

DSET
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
the new 65nm chips with a benq drives will help it run less noisy and there wont be heating issues, I dunno if you wanna upgrade just for that though.

I dont think they are ever gonna implement wifi onto there systems, because Live does so well people are gonna buy the adapter anyway. They are pretty much priced almost 3times above cost its ridiculous.

snappahead
10-08-2007, 01:16 PM
the new 65nm chips with a benq drives will help it run less noisy and there wont be heating issues, I dunno if you wanna upgrade just for that though.

I dont think they are ever gonna implement wifi onto there systems, because Live does so well people are gonna buy the adapter anyway. They are pretty much priced almost 3times above cost its ridiculous.

Thanks for apologizing, DSet. I didn't want to put you on my pay no mind list, cause it's clear that you have alot to offer to these conversations and it's always good to have folks like you participate in these threads. We can agree to disagree about things without offending anyone.

Your'e right about the wifi. The peripherals are where all the money's made. Controls, adapters and such, so I doubt they'll add that too. I hear that MS doesn't actually fix busted RROD 360's when you send them in, but simply mail you a new unit. Maybe in a couple months if you have a busted 360 to send in you may get a 360 with the Falcon chipset for free LOL. Sad, but it may work out that way.

I agree Diablo. The first thing I noticed about my PS3..other than the wicked cool touch power sensor (I love that kinda crap) was how silent it ran. Very nice after the microwave sounding 360.

outlikealight
10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
As an owner of all three systems aswell, I have to say those comments are pretty much exactly how I feel about each console also. What I would add, but what probably isn`t important to most, is the PS3 has by far the best build quality and features. It runs very quiet and feels like a high end piece of kit and includes stuff like the memory card slots and wifi. The 360 by comparison has a fairly cheap feeling being noisy and lacking some things I would have liked to be included from the off (mainly wifi).

Great comments and all of them spot on. The PS3 is very nice looking and looks next gen. The 360 is ok. I am constantly changing faceplates and skins so I really like that. I hate how it sounds like a jet engine on takeoff and I will definately upgrade when the new chips are out. By the way does anyone know if they are out there yet.

Out

Endless Wake
10-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Great comments and all of them spot on. The PS3 is very nice looking and looks next gen. The 360 is ok. I am constantly changing faceplates and skins so I really like that. I hate how it sounds like a jet engine on takeoff and I will definately upgrade when the new chips are out. By the way does anyone know if they are out there yet.I'm not sure but I have a Halo edition 360 and it's pretty quiet, sounds like a laptop thats on.

CocoPUFF
10-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Great comments and all of them spot on. The PS3 is very nice looking and looks next gen. The 360 is ok. I am constantly changing faceplates and skins so I really like that. I hate how it sounds like a jet engine on takeoff and I will definately upgrade when the new chips are out. By the way does anyone know if they are out there yet.

Out

My Elite runs almost as quiet as my PS3...as for the chipsets...I hear they have been spotted in some of the HALO systems..

DSET
10-08-2007, 02:55 PM

Out

the benQ drives have been out for some time its basically like a 1 in 3 chances if you buy a core or premium. prolly a 50/50 with the elite, becuz I dont think they do the samsung drive only the hitatchi and benQ.

you can weed them out by comparing the manufacture date
here
http://www.360drives.com/list?sort=dateadded
or u could just buy an return em and look at the drives
http://nextlust.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/360drives.jpg

Im not 100% but I'm pretty sure most of the Halo systems have falcon chips in them.

But if you want a sure shot wait for the new pro bundles and the new arcade(core) system to come out, chances are they will all have them by then, at least thats what im hoping.

snappahead
10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the link, DSet...my system isn't in there though. I did a search for 7-7-07 and there was nothing. Nevermind..didn't see that other link until just now. Where can you find out about the differences between these drives?

DSET
10-08-2007, 03:12 PM
theres no diff's that i know of besides that the benQ runs quieter.

the rest is in relation to modding:D

snappahead
10-08-2007, 03:19 PM
theres no diff's that i know of besides that the benQ runs quieter.

the rest is in relation to modding:D

Hehe..yeah, I'm finding that out. Every site I go to through search is about hacking. I was checking out a rating system and saw that my drive was a low score..than I realized it was based on ease of hacking.

Endless Wake
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
$399 40GB PS3 may hit US on Nov 2nd.

The new 40GB PS3 will have fewer features than the current 60GB ($499) and 80GB ($599) models, with two USB 2.0 ports instead of four, no backward compatibility for PS2 games and no multimemory card port.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/home_entertainment/games/e3i23389b356d961fd2fe8383b3c7b2f9a3?imw=Y

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/08/rumor-40gb-ps3-releases-in-us-on-nov-2-same-issues-as-euro/

Reaction to no backward compatibility for PS2 games;

Aeropause had a strong piece this weekend on their issues about this new PS3. They said, "So why is this the worst idea to ever come from Sony? Because it basically brings the PlayStation 3 back to its absolute zero starting point with its biggest unserved fan base -- the PS2 owners who have held out because of price ... It's no longer an 'upgrade' or a 'replacement' for the PS2, giving them pride in their brand loyalty, it's a brand new machine that stands alone and doesn't replace anything at all." Now we wait for the official announcement from Sony America and watch how they'll craft the message that gamers should focus on the "65 titles" for the PS3.

Endless Wake
10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Sony's response to the no bc in the 40GB PS3;

In related news, Sony has told Next-Gen that not even software emulation for PS2 titles is looking likely at this point for the 40GB SKU. Let alone hardware support through semiconductors from the PS2.

"The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on October 10, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semiconductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone.

"The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly. As we have mentioned on several occasions, our engineering resources are now focused on developing new and innovative features and services for the PS3 and, as a result the 40GB model does not have backwards compatibility with PS2 titles."

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml?http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7441&Itemid=2

Endless Wake
10-09-2007, 06:41 AM
40GB PS3 also comes in Ceramic White;

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/endlesswake/ps3_ceramic_white_dualshock_3.jpg

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/071009ae.html

Juggernaut
10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info about the Zelda game and Wii console Snappa.

Juggernaut
10-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Xbox 360

Is it possible to get more TV station's, tv channel's through the 360's online capabilities?

Endless Wake
10-10-2007, 02:26 PM
PS3 loses highly successful franchise in Japan, Monster Hunter, to Nintendo Wii due to high cost of development.

Thats not a good sign.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/10/ps3-monster-hunter-3-cut-due-to-high-dev-costs/

Bullseye
10-10-2007, 02:48 PM
LA Noire Too Big For Xbox 360?

Quote:
* The game will be a free-roaming title with a historically-accurate recreation of Los Angeles in 1947.
* Team Bondi has even hired a costume designer to research the clothing of the era so the game's attire can be accurate.
* Aside from main story, side missions will be based on actual cases pulled straight of the newspapers of 1947.
* A US Marine plays a big role in the story.
* Not so exclusive...but LA Noire definitely ain't coming to Xbox 360, the size of the game is an obstacle to this.

It's only a few tidbits, but it's more than we had before.
Of note is that another developer is finding DVDs to be too small.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/...undiscove.html

Here:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2007/..._xbox_360.html

LA Noire requires Blu-ray?

Quote:
Rockstar Games has quite a few titles due out over the next year. Midnight Club 4: Los Angeles will attempt to rival games such as Project Gotham 4 and Gran Turismo 5 in early 2008. Grand Theft Auto IV, which needs no introduction, will be an early contender for 2008 game of the year. Before both of those games, the ever controversial Manhunt 2 will be released on the Wii, PS2 and PSP platforms. However one of the less talked about Rockstar titles, LA Noire, is shaping up to be a huge PlayStation 3 game, with much emphasis on “huge”.ps3-controller-ss-11
Recently Kotaku.com, through various sources, was lead to a blog detailing new and unknown information about the title which is slated to release sometime in 2009. The blog features interesting information but the one that stood out the most revealed that the Xbox 360’s DVD9 support is insufficient to handle what Rockstar wants to do with LA Noire. Here is the new information revealed:
• The game will be a free-roaming title with a historically-accurate recreation of Los Angeles in 1947.
• Team Bondi has even hired a costume designer to research the clothing of the era so the game’s attire can be accurate.
• Aside from main story, side missions will be based on actual cases pulled straight of the newspapers of 1947.
• A US Marine plays a big role in the story.
• Not so exclusive…but LA Noire definitely ain’t coming to Xbox 360, the size of the game is an obstacle to this.
So as you may see, Rockstar and Team Bondi (Developer of LA Noire) currently believe that with the Blu-ray format, only the PlayStation 3 is capable of having this game.
LA Noire is a detective game based in a realistic 1947 Los Angelas where players must master the art of puzzle solving as they are thrown into various engagements around the LA area within to game. Set to release in 2009, LA Noire is sure to give gamers who unique gameplay experience. Check back with PSU as we will continue our coverage of LA Noire and all of the other great Rockstar Games titles set to come in the future.
Interestly, whilst the news may make LA Noire a PS3 exclusive, Sony announced some time ago that Rockstar was working on a completely separate, currently undisclosed, PS3 exclusive title.

Here:
http://www.mtechxp.net/main/la-noire-requires-blu-ray
and here too:
http://www.psu.com/LA-Noire-requires...0001499-p0.php

Originally posted at BD.com

Johnneeukca
10-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Don't know whether anyone still cares what I decided to go for but:

I'm picking up a PSP Slim tomorrow on the basis that the upcoming games for this machine show Sony's committment to it (Syphon Filter, Silent Hill, God of War to name a few). I'll also use it as a media player on the go. Plus, it'll wirelessly link to that PS3 I'll pick up come bonus time. The PS3 decision was based on what I've read here and other research I've done. Essentially, I do belive Sony fumbled the ball but also think the next twleve months will define the PS3 in terms of games and market share. Also, IMHO the Blu Ray function of the machine will help gain that share.

Cheers guys,

J :thumbs2:

Endless Wake
10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV, which needs no introduction, will be an early contender for 2008 game of the year.

I was watching G4 today, the gaming channel, and a scroll on the bottom read that analysts are predicting GTA4 will outsell Halo3 in the first week.

CocoPUFF
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
I was watching G4 today, the gaming channel, and a scroll on the bottom read that analysts are predicting GTA4 will outsell Halo3 in the first week.

I'm a little skeptical about that for the same reason R rated movies dont make top box office numbers hardly ever...granted Halo is rated M I think? But GTA is alot more senseless violence and has harsh language as well....I can see parents letting their kids play halo, and not letting them NEAR GTA...I may be wrong, but its JMO/....:)

Endless Wake
10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Game developer trashes PS3;

...calling the system "a waste of everyone's time" in Edge magazine last week. Newell continued, saying, "Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There's nothing there that you're going to apply to anything else. You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created. I don't think they're going to make money off their box. I don't think it's a good solution."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/11/valves-gabe-newell-says-ps3-a-waste-of-time/

Kujo
10-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Thats the guy from valve. He knows what he's on about and doesn't care what the companies think.

I have to agree with him.. Sony have gone off on their own on this one, instead of sticking with the way the market is going. Even AMD follow Intels models, but make their parts cheaper.

Sony's architecture is so out there that you have to learn a whole massively complicated language to do simple things.

Bad move Sony!

snappahead
10-11-2007, 04:06 PM
They said the same things about he PS2 and we all know how that turned out. Sony will win on brand name alone. They own large portions of Europe and all of Japan. That's all that matters. This development issue isn't going to be a factor in it's success.

I don't agree with Sony's decisions in their hardware, but they know it won't matter too. I'll be honest...I want Sony to lose this go around. Lose big. Not so big that they're out of the next cycle, but big enough that they get their act together for the next war. When one team wins three in a row, it's not a rivalry, it's a beat down and I don't want to see that.

Bullseye
10-11-2007, 04:09 PM
As a PS3 man i hope they don't lose;) and in all honesty i would hate to see any company go out of business over a games console. Why would people who bought PS2 not support a new system if it is going to provide ground breaking games?

That article posted by Endless strikes me to have been written by an Anti-Sony person (is that you General:))

snappahead
10-11-2007, 05:43 PM
As a PS3 man i hope they don't lose;) and in all honesty i would hate to see any company go out of business over a games console. Why would people who bought PS2 not support a new system if it is going to provide ground breaking games?

That article posted by Endless strikes me to have been written by an Anti-Sony person (is that you General:))

I thought you were a BD man, Bulls.:inquisiti The success or failure of the PS3 and BD format are linked, but not the same as you know.

I think the "ground breaking" thing is a bit of a ...what's the right term....crock, I guess would work. I really don't think anything on the PS3 or 360 is going to be groundbreaking. But you are right that brand loyalty will be a very big part of the PS3's success.

Calling someone out on posting an anti Sony article? Didn't you just post an anti-360 article about LA Noir being "too big for the 360"?

Bullseye
10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
How was it anti-xbox it was just giving the facts. The other post was someones opinion. Difference No?

PS3 man in that i have one and would like to get a few more games. I am really enjoying to console and with a few more nice titles coming out before Christmas.

I'm glad your enjoying your xbox and i hope you enjoy it for many years to come S.

snappahead
10-11-2007, 06:08 PM
How was it anti-xbox it was just giving the facts. The other post was someones opinion. Difference No?

PS3 man in that i have one and would like to get a few more games. I am really enjoying to console and with a few more nice titles coming out before Christmas.

I'm glad your enjoying your xbox and i hope you enjoy it for many years to come S.

The mere fact that you went to the trouble to post it is anti-360. You know that...I know that, but you'll never admit it..it's good though. I enjoy playing this game with you, Bulls.

I didn't think you played games?

As you should know by now...I have a PS3 too:thumbs2: and will be enjoying BOTH for many years to come.

Bullseye
10-11-2007, 06:12 PM
But you did post an anti-Sony sentiment above which would mean i would end up with a piece of crock so you will forgive me if i don't agree with that sentiment. I posted that thread in response to a similar thread claiming that the PS3 was too expensive to develop for. I am all for the balance in the Universe;)

snappahead
10-11-2007, 06:23 PM
But you did post an anti-Sony sentiment above which would mean i would end up with a piece of crock so you will forgive me if i don't agree with that sentiment. I posted that thread in response to a similar thread claiming that the PS3 was too expensive to develop for. I am all for the balance in the Universe;)

Wha? So in essence, you feel it's your duty to come to Sony's defense whenever someone makes a "anti-Sony sentiment"? Gotcha:thumbs2:

A piece of crock? I have one too! It's not in my best interest to wish for my money to be wasted. I just don't want Sony to win this cycle. Even if Sony did lose this cycle, that wouldn't stop them from making a good game library. The original XBox got creamed, but I still had a ton of fun with it.

Endless Wake
10-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Why would people who bought PS2 not support a new system if it is going to provide ground breaking games?The lack of backwards compatibility might turn off some gamers, that was one strong selling point the PS2 had going for it.

Still, I'm sure PS3 will come in 2nd behind Wii before this gen war is over.

Bullseye
10-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Do you really think the Wii will hold peoples attention for 5 years and more?

I have to say i have always loved Nintendo and would love to see them make tons of money on the Wii.

snappahead
10-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Do you really think the Wii will hold peoples attention for 5 years and more?

I have to say i have always loved Nintendo and would love to see them make tons of money on the Wii.

I think the Wii will eventually start having problems. They're releasing alot of games, but they're almost all sh1t and I can see a few years from now, Nintendo will be the only ones releasing anything worth playing and that'll mean few and far between...just like the N64 and Gamecube. Still though..that install base is getting huge. They didn't have those numbers with their last two systems, so who knows.

I personally don't use my Wii for much of anything at the moment. I get the feeling I'm not alone there. It gets old fast ones the novelty wears off.

Endless Wake
10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I think they have a good chance at keeping 1st. Here's a list they released today of upcoming games;

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/11/nintendo-flaunts-mega-sized-wii-and-ds-release-list/

Wii

Oct. 1: MLB(R) Power Pros from 2K Sports
Oct. 1: Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire(TM) from D3Publisher of America(R)
Oct. 2: Crash(R) of the Titans from Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
Oct. 5: Balls of Fury(TM) from DSI Games
Oct. 8: Donkey Kong(R): Barrel Blast from Nintendo
Oct. 9: FIFA 08 from Electronic Arts
Oct. 9: Bleach: Shattered Blade(TM) from SEGA
Oct. 9: LOONEY TUNES: ACME ARSENAL(TM) from WB Games
Oct. 10: Arctic Tale from DSI Games
Oct. 15: Sea Monsters from DSI Games
Oct. 16: Thrillville(R): Off the Rails(TM) from LucasArts
Oct. 22: EA PLAYGROUND from Electronic Arts
Oct. 23: Backyard Football from Atari, Inc.
Oct. 23: The Sims 2(TM) Castaway from Electronic Arts
Oct. 23: Rockstar Games Presents(TM) Table Tennis from Rockstar Games
Oct. 23: The Legend of Spyro(TM): The Eternal Night from Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
Oct. 23: NARUTO(TM): Clash of Ninja(TM) Revolution from TOMY Corporation
Oct. 25: M&M'S(R) Kart Racing from DSI Games
Oct. 28: Guitar Hero III(TM): Legends of Rock from Activision
Oct. 29: Battalion Wars(TM) 2 from Nintendo
Oct. 30: Ben 10(TM): Protector of Earth from D3Publisher of America(R)
Oct. 30: Showtime(R) Championship Boxing(TM) from DSI Games
Oct. 30: NEED FOR SPEED PROSTREET from Electronic Arts
Oct. 30: THE SIMPSONS from Electronic Arts
Oct. 31: Manhunt 2(TM) from Rockstar Games
October: Spider-Man(TM): Friend or Foe from Activision
October: Bee Movie(TM) Game from Activision
October: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground from Activision
October: Ultimate Duck Hunting(TM) from Detn8 Games Ltd.
October: Mercury Meltdown Revolution from Ignition Entertainment
October: Namco Museum(TM) Remix from NAMCO BANDAI Games America
October: Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity from The Game Factory
October: Avatar: The Last Airbender(TM) - The Burning Earth from THQ
October: Bratz: The Movie(TM) from THQ
October: Cars: Mater-National from THQ
October: Nicktoons(TM): Attack of the Toybots from THQ
October: SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis(TM) from THQ
Nov. 5: Fire Emblem(R): Radiant Dawn from Nintendo
Nov. 6: DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Nov. 6: LEGO(R) Star Wars(TM): The Complete Saga from LucasArts
Nov. 6: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games(TM) from SEGA
Nov. 12: Super Mario Galaxy(TM) from Nintendo
Nov. 13: Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 from Atari, Inc.
Nov. 13: Godzilla Unleashed from Atari, Inc.
Nov. 13: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary from Eidos, Inc.
Nov. 13: BLOCKS from Electronic Arts
Nov. 13: MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES(TM) 2 from Electronic Arts
Nov. 13: LUXOR: Pharaoh's Challenge from MumboJumbo
Nov. 13: Geometry Wars(TM): Galaxies from Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
Nov. 19: Link's Crossbow Training(TM) (packaged with Wii Zapper(TM)) from Nintendo
Nov. 19: SMARTY PANTS(TM) from Electronic Arts
Nov. 20: Jenga World Tour from Atari, Inc.
Nov. 20: Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords(TM) from D3Publisher of America(R)
November: Trauma Center(TM): New Blood from Atlus USA
November: Star Trek: Conquest from Bethesda Softworks
November: Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey from Disney Interactive Studios
November: Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour from Disney Interactive Studios
November: High School Musical: Sing It from Disney Interactive Studios
November: Garfield Gets Real from DSI Games
November: Furu Furu Park from Majesco Entertainment
November: AMF Bowling: Pinbusters! from Mud Duck Games
November: Ghost Squad(TM) from SEGA
November: WWE(R) SmackDown(R) vs. Raw(R) 2008 from THQ
November: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 from Ubisoft
November: CSI: Hard Evidence from Ubisoft
November: My Word Coach from Ubisoft
November: Petz: Catz 2 (name not final) from Ubisoft
November: Petz: Dogz 2 (name not final) from Ubisoft
November: Petz: Horsez 2 (name not final) from Ubisoft
November: Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 from Ubisoft
Dec. 4: Alvin and the Chipmunks from Brash Entertainment
Dec. 4: The Golden Compass(TM) from SEGA
December: MX vs. ATV(TM) Untamed(TM) from THQ
December: Super Swing Golf(TM) Season 2 from Tecmo, Inc.
December: Rygar(R): The Battle of Argus from Tecmo, Inc.
December: Cranium: Kabookii from Ubisoft
December: Nitrobike from Ubisoft
Holiday 2007: NiGHTS(TM): Journey of Dreams from SEGA
Winter '07: SoulCalibur Legends(TM) from NAMCO BANDAI Games America
Jan. 21: Endless Ocean(TM) from Nintendo
Feb. 10: Super Smash Bros.(R) Brawl from Nintendo
Feb. 15: Yamaha Supercross from DSI Games
Feb. 19: Sonic(TM) Riders: Zero Gravity from SEGA
February: No More Heroes from Ubisoft
February: Wild Petz Tigerz from Ubisoft
March: Obscure: The Aftermath from Ignition Entertainment
Q1: LUXOR 3 from MumboJumbo
Q1: One Piece(TM): Unlimited Adventure(TM) from NAMCO BANDAI Games America
Spring '08: Mario Kart(R) Wii (name not final) from Nintendo

snappahead
10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I think they have a good chance at keeping 1st. Here's a list they released today of upcoming games;

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/11/nintendo-flaunts-mega-sized-wii-and-ds-release-list/

Wii

Oct. 1: MLB(R) Power Pros from 2K Sports
Oct. 1: Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire(TM) from D3Publisher of America(R)
Oct. 2: Crash(R) of the Titans from Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
Oct. 5: Balls of Fury(TM) from DSI Games
Oct. 8: Donkey Kong(R): Barrel Blast from Nintendo
Oct. 9: FIFA 08 from Electronic Arts
Oct. 9: Bleach: Shattered Blade(TM) from SEGA
Oct. 9: LOONEY TUNES: ACME ARSENAL(TM) from WB Games
Oct. 10: Arctic Tale from DSI Games
Oct. 15: Sea Monsters from DSI Games
Oct. 16: Thrillville(R): Off the Rails(TM) from LucasArts
Oct. 22: EA PLAYGROUND from Electronic Arts
Oct. 23: Backyard Football from Atari, Inc.
Oct. 23: The Sims 2(TM) Castaway from Electronic Arts
Oct. 23: Rockstar Games Presents(TM) Table Tennis from Rockstar Games
Oct. 23: The Legend of Spyro(TM): The Eternal Night from Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
Oct. 23: NARUTO(TM): Clash of Ninja(TM) Revolution from TOMY Corporation
Oct. 25: M&M'S(R) Kart Racing from DSI Games
Oct. 28: Guitar Hero III(TM): Legends of Rock from Activision
Oct. 29: Battalion Wars(TM) 2 from Nintendo
Oct. 30: Ben 10(TM): Protector of Earth from D3Publisher of America(R)
Oct. 30: Showtime(R) Championship Boxing(TM) from DSI Games
Oct. 30: NEED FOR SPEED PROSTREET from Electronic Arts
Oct. 30: THE SIMPSONS from Electronic Arts
Oct. 31: Manhunt 2(TM) from Rockstar Games
October: Spider-Man(TM): Friend or Foe from Activision
October: Bee Movie(TM) Game from Activision
October: Tony Hawk's Proving Ground from Activision
October: Ultimate Duck Hunting(TM) from Detn8 Games Ltd.
October: Mercury Meltdown Revolution from Ignition Entertainment
October: Namco Museum(TM) Remix from NAMCO BANDAI Games America
October: Code Lyoko: Quest for Infinity from The Game Factory
October: Avatar: The Last Airbender(TM) - The Burning Earth from THQ
October: Bratz: The Movie(TM) from THQ
October: Cars: Mater-National from THQ
October: Nicktoons(TM): Attack of the Toybots from THQ
October: SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis(TM) from THQ
Nov. 5: Fire Emblem(R): Radiant Dawn from Nintendo
Nov. 6: DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Nov. 6: LEGO(R) Star Wars(TM): The Complete Saga from LucasArts
Nov. 6: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games(TM) from SEGA
Nov. 12: Super Mario Galaxy(TM) from Nintendo
Nov. 13: Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 from Atari, Inc.
Nov. 13: Godzilla Unleashed from Atari, Inc.
Nov. 13: Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary from Eidos, Inc.
Nov. 13: BLOCKS from Electronic Arts
Nov. 13: MEDAL OF HONOR HEROES(TM) 2 from Electronic Arts
Nov. 13: LUXOR: Pharaoh's Challenge from MumboJumbo
Nov. 13: Geometry Wars(TM): Galaxies from Sierra Entertainment, Inc.
Nov. 19: Link's Crossbow Training(TM) (packaged with Wii Zapper(TM)) from Nintendo
Nov. 19: SMARTY PANTS(TM) from Electronic Arts
Nov. 20: Jenga World Tour from Atari, Inc.
Nov. 20: Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords(TM) from D3Publisher of America(R)
November: Trauma Center(TM): New Blood from Atlus USA
November: Star Trek: Conquest from Bethesda Softworks
November: Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey from Disney Interactive Studios
November: Hannah Montana: Spotlight World Tour from Disney Interactive Studios
November: High School Musical: Sing It from Disney Interactive Studios
November: Garfield Gets Real from DSI Games
November: Furu Furu Park from Majesco Entertainment
November: AMF Bowling: Pinbusters! from Mud Duck Games
November: Ghost Squad(TM) from SEGA
November: WWE(R) SmackDown(R) vs. Raw(R) 2008 from THQ
November: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 from Ubisoft
November: CSI: Hard Evidence from Ubisoft
November: My Word Coach from Ubisoft
November: Petz: Catz 2 (name not final) from Ubisoft
November: Petz: Dogz 2 (name not final) from Ubisoft
November: Petz: Horsez 2 (name not final) from Ubisoft
November: Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 from Ubisoft
Dec. 4: Alvin and the Chipmunks from Brash Entertainment
Dec. 4: The Golden Compass(TM) from SEGA
December: MX vs. ATV(TM) Untamed(TM) from THQ
December: Super Swing Golf(TM) Season 2 from Tecmo, Inc.
December: Rygar(R): The Battle of Argus from Tecmo, Inc.
December: Cranium: Kabookii from Ubisoft
December: Nitrobike from Ubisoft
Holiday 2007: NiGHTS(TM): Journey of Dreams from SEGA
Winter '07: SoulCalibur Legends(TM) from NAMCO BANDAI Games America
Jan. 21: Endless Ocean(TM) from Nintendo
Feb. 10: Super Smash Bros.(R) Brawl from Nintendo
Feb. 15: Yamaha Supercross from DSI Games
Feb. 19: Sonic(TM) Riders: Zero Gravity from SEGA
February: No More Heroes from Ubisoft
February: Wild Petz Tigerz from Ubisoft
March: Obscure: The Aftermath from Ignition Entertainment
Q1: LUXOR 3 from MumboJumbo
Q1: One Piece(TM): Unlimited Adventure(TM) from NAMCO BANDAI Games America
Spring '08: Mario Kart(R) Wii (name not final) from Nintendo

I've put in bold the games that might be actually be good. I know I'm being a bit of a d1ck, but I'm going on experience. Sony and Microsoft have a pretty decent approval system for keeping really bad games from making it to their consoles...Nintendo doesn't have ANY approval system. That's right...any piece of crap calling itself a game can make it to store shelves on the Wii. Not good. I'm sure I was harsh with my selection here, but you know what I mean. Nintendo always seems to be the only developer that uses their hardware properly. I think it'll be even more so with the unusual Wii setup.

Endless Wake
10-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I've put in bold the games that might be actually be good. I know I'm being a bit of a d1ck, but I'm going on experience. Sony and Microsoft have a pretty decent approval system for keeping really bad games from making it to their consoles...Nintendo doesn't have ANY approval system. That's right...any piece of crap calling itself a game can make it to store shelves on the Wii. Not good. I'm sure I was harsh with my selection here, but you know what I mean. Nintendo always seems to be the only developer that uses their hardware properly. I think it'll be even more so with the unusual Wii setup.Yeah those are the sure bets and if we're lucky will get a few surprises. But thats quite a few titles for just 6 months.

Red X
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I didn't catch Umbrella Chronicles on that list, don't know if I'm over looking it, but it should be in bold. That should be a pretty well selling game on the wii. Everyone loves RE.

Endless Wake
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
This one's going to cause some waves;

Sony pleads with third-party developers not to abandon its struggling platform.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/19/takahashi-sony-begging-ps3-devs-to-stay-on-board/

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/10/deans_take_on_npd_numbers_for_september.html

snappahead
10-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Uh oh...don't let Bulls see this link:p While there's little doubt that the PS3 is struggling, I think people are way too quick to predict it's demise. Sony doesn't go down easily and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it manages to get back on top before this cycle is over. Japan is just too big a market to own and eventually PS3 sales will start climbing there.

The whole begging third parties thing sounds bad, but it's actually just smart business. Sony's made some mistakes this time around and now realize they need to change strategies a bit to get back into the fight.