PDA

View Full Version : Issues playing Rise of the Silver Surfer BD? If so see link.

noseeb13
10-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Its been reported that some players cannot play Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer, such as some Samsung players.

If you are having problems playing the disc here is a link that describes the problem and what you can, hopefully, do to resolve it. http://www.dvdtown.com/news/did-blu-ray-score-a-goal-in-its-own-net-with-bd/4782

They are going to be updating the page once they have done additional testing so you may want to check back often if you have an issue.

Trilogy
10-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I`ve heard this. I`m hoping that it will play on mine, but I`m dubious about ordering a title that may end up sitting on the shelf waiting for upgrades.

glassdancer
10-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Actually I was going to ask everyone...

I just bought the two-disc special edition yestrerday, but have NOT yet watched it.....but DID open the packaging.....and noticed that the first DVD, (the actual movie), did NOT have any design or picture on it,.....all is said around the ring was this side for full screen and this side for widescreen,.....but otherwise, it was literally just a plain CD.....yet the second one had a design on it.....PLUS there was no inner jacket or anything like that.....

Am I the ONLY one who has it this way or are there others out there as well...??

Thanks in advance.

For the record, I have NOT tried to play it yet.

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
It won't effect the PS3 whose latest firmware 1.93 resolves BD+. All other players will have their FW updates out soon enough.

Trilogy
10-03-2007, 02:45 PM
You are talking about the Blu-ray yes??

Trilogy
10-03-2007, 02:46 PM
It won't effect the PS3 whose latest firmware 1.93 resolves BD+. All other players will have their FW updates out soon enough.

I love the fact that yet again the safest player is a "game console".

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 03:25 PM
With BD+ and Profile 1.0 coming out soon there are going to be alot of FW upgrades to allow PiP.

bat_collector
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
how do we get those firmware upgrades?

Zurbaran1
10-03-2007, 03:36 PM

I just bought the two-disc special edition yestrerday, but have NOT yet watched it.....but DID open the packaging.....and noticed that the first DVD, (the actual movie), did NOT have any design or picture on it,.....all is said around the ring was this side for full screen and this side for widescreen,.....but otherwise, it was literally just a plain CD.....yet the second one had a design on it.....PLUS there was no inner jacket or anything like that.....

Am I the ONLY one who has it this way or are there others out there as well...??

Thanks in advance.

I have seen lots of DVDs like that. It's perfectly normal.

glassdancer
10-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Thanks in advance.

Anyone...?

Bullseye
10-03-2007, 03:37 PM
how do we get those firmware upgrades?
What player are you using?

bat_collector
10-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I dont' know which one my roommate got

I guess I dont care since I wasn't planning on buying silver surfer

glassdancer
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks in advance.

Anyone, Anyone,.....Bueler......??

Jeez,....I know that Glass is transparent, but it's not invisible....:(

Zurbaran1
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Glass may not be invisible but it is apparently blind.

Maybe you should read post #9 above. :stick:

noseeb13
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM

That is how it should be. There is no design because you can play the widescreen version on one side of the disc and the full screen on the other side of the disc. If you had a design on discs like those you would not be able to flip between widescreen and fullscreen.
The same goes for HD DVD combo discs, one side is HD the other is standard def, so there is no design on the disc.

glassdancer
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Glass may not be invisible but it is apparently blind.

Maybe you should read post #9 above. :stick:

oops.

glassdancer
10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
That is how it should be. There is no design because you can play the widescreen version on one side of the disc and the full screen on the other side of the disc. If you had a design on discs like those you would not be able to flip between widescreen and fullscreen.
The same goes for HD DVD combo discs, one side is HD the other is standard def, so there is no design on the disc.

Muchas Gracias.....:thumbs2:

MiamiLoco
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I love the fact that yet again the safest player is a "game console".
No, the safest player is a BD player that has upgradeable firmware updates ;)

Trilogy
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
No, the safest player is a BD player that has upgradeable firmware updates ;)

I actually ment yet again the PS3 has no issues with playing a title.

bat_collector
10-03-2007, 06:02 PM
soooo

does hd-dvd players have these issues?

CocoPUFF
10-03-2007, 06:09 PM
soooo

I've had no problems with either formats or players...

noseeb13
10-03-2007, 06:58 PM
soooo

There have been reports the playing certain discs may not work with the current firmware version. I think Children of Men had a lot of problems at one point, and there are always ups and downs with HDMI compatibility, but Toshiba has always been pretty quick to get a new version out to update.

This FF issue has to do with the new copyright protection layer that Sony has implimented, its just a little worse on BD players because they are harder to update, unless its the PS3.

Krypton Knight
10-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Great, just great.:mad: I just popped this into my Samsung player and it wouldn't play it. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't play my Dr. Strange BD a few weeks ago either.

I guess I'll try and upload whatever firmware update there is and try again.

Trilogy
10-04-2007, 02:43 AM
I don`t think Samsung have released a filmware update yet to cover this problem.

noseeb13
10-04-2007, 01:50 PM
"Calls placed to both Samsung and LG customer support revealed that both manufacturers are aware of the issue, and that both are working on firmware updates to correct it. Samsung promised a firmware update within "a couple" weeks, while LG said an update is expected in 3-4 days."
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/BD+/Technical_Glitches/Playback_Problems_Reported_on_Silver_Surfer,_Day_After_Tomorrow_Blu-ray_Discs/1035

Trilogy
10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I`m glad to hear that they are on top of this.

ashley76
10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
If you want it on something that will play (HD-DVD) wait a few weeks. It will be released in Germany and then you can import it... Places like xploitedcinema.com will have it. And yes it will work in your HD-DVD player because HD-DVD is region free... and yes it has an English soundtrack with no subtitles... Funny how blu ray exclusive studios can put stuff in HD-DVD, just not here...

Trilogy
10-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Its all down to which studio has the rights and they can vary from one country to the next.

candyrocket786
10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
If you want it on something that will play (HD-DVD) wait a few weeks. It will be released in Germany and then you can import it... Places like xploitedcinema.com will have it. And yes it will work in your HD-DVD player because HD-DVD is region free... and yes it has an English soundtrack with no subtitles... Funny how blu ray exclusive studios can put stuff in HD-DVD, just not here...

I think you can already order it from Amazon.de, but xploited definitely provides top-notch service. :buttrock:

Krypton Knight
10-12-2007, 11:59 PM
Samsung has new updated firmware on their site for those who need it.

Bullseye
10-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Yeah i was just about to post that Samsung have their firmware updates.

Bullseye
10-13-2007, 08:18 AM

You can also get Universal (HD-DVD exclusive) on Blu Ray from concorde as well. Some movies were distributed by other companies. It will not happen as often on the larger movies in the future.

It will be interesting to see the transfer quality of the those releases to see if they will have the same standard as Fox. I doubt it.