PDA

View Full Version : Into The Wild - Spoilers Ahead

wktf
10-07-2007, 06:32 PM
What an incredible film. Emotionally wrenching. Even having read the book and knowing the story, it still hit me and my wife hard. Highly recommended.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Is this about the person who goes and lives in Alaska? Have not read much about it over this side of the pond.

protector2814
10-07-2007, 07:09 PM
*Spoiler.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I read the book and very much enjoyed it but after having a few years to think about it I'm kinda left with the feeling that this is really just the story of a privledged kid who ran away from home and did something very stupid and unfortunately, died because of it. Not sure if I'll see it.

JLM
10-08-2007, 08:52 AM
I've only heard of this film because Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam recorded the soundtrack to the movie.

I've ordered the soundtrack, and will probably check out the book or movie as a result.

MiamiLoco
10-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I read the book and very much enjoyed it but after having a few years to think about it I'm kinda left with the feeling that this is really just the story of a privledged kid who ran away from home and did something very stupid and unfortunately, died because of it. Not sure if I'll see it.
wow, thanks for spoiling the movie :(

protector2814
10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
wow, thanks for spoiling the movie :(

I'm really sorry. Stupid thing to do.

wktf
10-08-2007, 10:32 AM
* Possible spoiler in response to Protector:

Protector, in addition to being a story about a privileged kid he also was mentally unbalanced or unhinged due to his family issues. The kid needed serious help. I think the issues are deeper than you describe. Though, I agree whole heartedly with your assessment about his being stupid or, at least, uneducated and unprepared despite all his efforts, diligent as they were, to get him prepared.

JLM
10-08-2007, 10:36 AM
It's a bit difficult to avoid reading the spoilers that are being posted in this thread so far. I'm probably going avoid reading this thread from now on, but I do think that the spoilers need a bigger warning and a bigger gap before the text. JMO. :)

wktf
10-08-2007, 04:59 PM
I've highlighted my spoiler notice and extended the space before my posting.

We should discuss this film. It's very powerful.

Captain Late
10-08-2007, 05:07 PM
I thought it was areally good looking movie, well acted, well directed but to me there's a bit of disconnect because the main character is really incredibly selfish in so many ways.

bat_collector
10-08-2007, 05:18 PM
gapped the spoiler warning and put it in the title to the thread

sorry I couldn't do it sooner

wktf
10-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I thought it was areally good looking movie, well acted, well directed but to me there's a bit of disconnect because the main character is really incredibly selfish in so many ways.

Selfish, yes, but also emotionally traumatized and, I think, a bit mentally disturbed. I don't think we can pin all this on being a spoiled, selfish kid of privilege.

JLM
11-16-2007, 05:19 AM
Finally saw this last night after it came out in the UK on Friday. I'd agree with Joe that although he was rich and spoiled that, he was probably somewhat mentally unbalanced too.