PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit - possible peace between NL and PJ.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20036782_20037403_20142132,00.html

protector2814
10-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I read the EW article while standing in line to pay for groceries today. Jackson's plate is so full It's gonna be impossibly tough for him to direct before New Line loose the Hobbit rights . So even if the olive branch's been passed Jackson will most likely be just pulling the puppet strings in the background. I just can't see anyone else directing.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Do you think NL will not be given an opportunity to renew the Hobbits rights?

protector2814
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Do you think NL will not be given an opportunity to renew the Hobbits rights?

for tons and tons and tons of money. More money than they may be willing to pay if Jackson's too busy to direct.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 07:05 PM
It may have to be a joint studio deal for sure. I've heard MGM mentioned

patrickwm68
10-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Is Jackson still doing the other 2 Kong films that were rumored?

protector2814
10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
but they really need to strike while the iron is hot which they may not be able to do. It's been a few years since Return. I don't know if the public will pony up billions again after waiting another 5 and having the Hobbit directed by Sam Raimi. Maybe.

protector2814
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Is Jackson still doing the other 2 Kong films that were rumored?

He's doing 3 films as of now, according to the EW article and I've read he's also slated to direct those Dragon books about Dragons fighting for the British army during the Napoleonic wars. Haven't read squat about any Kong.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I think there will be enough interest in the film regardless of who directs. That said i am sure PJ would add 000's to the profits for sure. There was also rumours of two films for the hobbit.

protector2814
10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
I'd love nothinig more than for Jackson to direct. The article went on to say that Sir Ian Mclellan (I butchered the spelling, but the guy who played Gandolf) is lobbying for Peter to direct with himself returning as the wizard. He's not getting any younger so maybe he knows something we don't. He can't very well be pushing to play a wizard who's supposed to be younger than he was in the Rings trilogy 10 years after Return of the King filmed. He'll be, like 75.

Bullseye
10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah it would be great if SIM plays Gandalf. I wonder will Ian Holmes play Bilbo or will they get a younger actor. I would love to see this make the big screen in the next 2 to 3 years at the latest. Maybe Christmas 2010.

protector2814
10-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah it would be great if SIM plays Gandalf. I wonder will Ian Holmes play Bilbo or will they get a younger actor. I would love to see this make the big screen in the next 2 to 3 years at the latest. Maybe Christmas 2010.

Me too. Holmes is another actor who's getting kinda old. They'd probably have to recast Bilbo. He was young, by hobbit years, in the Hobbit.
This would be a great movie. Dragons, Trolls and many dwarves. There's talk of the movie being stretched into 2 parts with filler fromother Tolkien scribbles being added as crucial filler. You know they'll want to squeeze every dime out of us.

Teague
10-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I think Sir Ian could still pull of Gandalf, even though it's a prequel. Gandalf is sort of timeless, and always seemed like an old-wizard type to me.

Bilbo will need to be recast, I think, though. More's the pity. But maybe they can get someone really good, too. It'll be a sought-after role, certainly.

I can't wait to see this...my daughter will be the right age for it, too, if it's 2010 or so. :thumbs2:

scott
10-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Really hopes it happens. My faimly loves these films. I think Smaug could look more evil than anything we seen so far, maybe save the Balrog.

BOSCO
10-08-2007, 08:16 AM
I hope they`re able to sort this out and get PJ on board.There`s the potential to earn up to $1billion from this,which NL or any studio would gladly take.
SIM would still be able to play Gandalf,he would`nt really need to look any younger as he`s about 2,000yrs old and there`s only 60yrs between The Hobbit and LOTR.

JM28Cardiff
10-08-2007, 09:35 AM
In Xmen 3 they digitally de-aged Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen for a flashback scene, so maybe they could do that for the Hobbit...

Endless Wake
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I've been hoping to see a Hobbit movie by Jackson. I love that story, its such a fun read.

protector2814
10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
I...
SIM would still be able to play Gandalf,he would`nt really need to look any younger as he`s about 2,000yrs old and there`s only 60yrs between The Hobbit and LOTR.

But could he do it physically? If there's even a 5 year delay, you'd have and actor into his late 60's/70's who'd need to act in a pretty physical manner. Gandolf was far from an old man. Figure one to two years for script writing and finalization, a year to cast + preproduction. They have to get crackin' sooner than later. Same thing if he's planning on playing Magneto again. The leader of the Bro. of Evil Mutants doesn't gum his oatmeal.

The General
10-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I saw this too.:thumbs2:

cougartrace
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Jackson can be the only one for the Hobbit :thumbs2:

Teague
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Jackson can be the only one for the Hobbit :thumbs2:

Samuel L. Jackson as Bilbo? A brave choice, my friend. :thumbs2:

Meteor Man
10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I'd love to see this happen! I'd also love to see a two film epic based on Tolkien's the Silmarillion and directed by Peter Jackson, but I think it would be a mistake to do two movies for the Hobbit. IMO it is a one movie story. Not as epic as the Lord of the Rings trilogy or as the Silmarillion would be. It is one adventure that covers a shorter period of time than either the Lord of the Rings which had so much going on and the Silmarillion which covers many many thousands of years. The Hobbit would be an awesome movie, no doubt about it, but it should be one movie IMHO.

Kujo
10-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I've been dying for a Hobbit movie since... well, forever. And Jackson is the man to bring this masterpiece to the screen.

I heard that they were going to follow the book pretty much page for page, and add some stories and such from Tolkiens "Unfinished Tales" as back story and filler, which would definently require 2 films. There was also some talk of including Tom Bombadil into it somehow, to pay homage to him.

When they did the prologue in LotR they gave Ian Holme a temporary facelift for his finding of the ring scene to make him look younger. I would love it if he could come back, because he played such a fantastic Bilbo.

As for SIM, I don't see any reason why he couldn't still play Gandalf. He isn't going to age looks wise much more, so the make up should still work well.

Kujo
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
I don't think anyone could make Silmarillion into a movie and do it justice.... not even Jackson. Its far too vast and too many important characters involved. To keep the hardcore fans happy and for it to make sense to newcommers, it'd have to be on longer than the lotr trilogy.

Meteor Man
10-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think anyone could make Silmarillion into a movie and do it justice.... not even Jackson. Its far too vast and too many important characters involved. To keep the hardcore fans happy and for it to make sense to newcommers, it'd have to be on longer than the lotr trilogy.

I know...but wouldn't it be awesome if Peter Jackson gave it a try anyway?!!!:)

Bullseye
10-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree MM. It would be a glorious failure.

DSET
10-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Samuel L. Jackson as Bilbo? A brave choice, my friend. :thumbs2:

LooL

I wish the hobbit would come out already good or bad, the sooner it releases on dvd\hd\bd the sooner we will get the lotr trilogy in bd\hd

BOSCO
10-08-2007, 06:22 PM
But could he do it physically? If there's even a 5 year delay, you'd have and actor into his late 60's/70's who'd need to act in a pretty physical manner. Gandolf was far from an old man. Figure one to two years for script writing and finalization, a year to cast + preproduction. They have to get crackin' sooner than later. Same thing if he's planning on playing Magneto again. The leader of the Bro. of Evil Mutants doesn't gum his oatmeal.

I hear ya P,i was just talkin from a visual point of view.SIM is 68 this year so they really need to get a move on.

Bullseye
10-08-2007, 06:25 PM
I hear ya P,i was just talkin from a visual point of view.SIM is 68 this year so they really need to get a move on.

They should put him on ice for a year or two.:)

Meteor Man
10-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I agree MM. It would be a glorious failure.

:laugh: BAH! You bunch o losers!:) JK...I'd rather see an attempt by Peter Jackson to do the Silmarillion than to never see it tried at all! He could do four or five installments instead of the three it took for LOTR to tell the whole thing!!!:)

Vartha
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I Can't wait for this either.
I read or heard awhile ago that Bilbo would be recast with a younger actor.
HEH maybe by the time they get all this worked out, Wood will look old enough to play Bilbo too. :D
I'm hoping they do spread this out into two films, they can do so much more with it.