PDA

View Full Version : Across The universe: Damn fine flick but why are all these 20 somethings watchin it?

Deathlok2001
10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
So I checked out this film called Across the Universe, which a critic described as boy name Jude from Liverpool meets an American girl named Lucy. Basically it was an interesting musical-drama period piece of the late '60s, interlaced with the songs of the Beatles.

http://www.acrosstheuniverse.com/

I fully expected the audience to be primarily composed of grey beards or at least people in an older age demographic. But that was not the case.

The majority of audience were 20-somethings. Did the Beatles suddenly become popular with the next gen?

So I'm confused with the young'ins who were the majority of the audience for a 60s period piece. I always thought their exposure to the Beatles music would be from commercials.

Why does everything sound like the Beatles? Because they did it right and far better than just about any band today. The art of harmonies, meaningful lyrics and storytelling is long gone.

It was a freakin awesome movie. I loved it!

Teague
10-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I'd like to see this, too. Glad to hear it's worth seeing!

I'm not surprised that younger audiences are drawn to it, though. Most of my students (and even my daughters' freinds!) like the Beatles, even if only as "classic" music. But good stuff is good stuff, and it's at least recognizable. :thumbs2:

bat_collector
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
moved to movie section

endsongjen
10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
because some of us 20 somethings like the beatles. i for one thought that the way its filmed is awesome. cant wait to see it.

boondocksaint
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
i agree i like the beatles as well and that was definitely not in my era

Teague
10-08-2007, 06:09 PM
i agree i like the beatles as well and that was definitely not in my era

Not my era either, and I'm 38...I think you'd have to be at least late 40s to count the Beatles in "your" era...probably closer to late 50s/early 60s.

scott
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds like something I'll have to check out.

DC_Universe_Grl
10-08-2007, 07:42 PM
B/C the Beatles are the greatest band of all time IMO, and I am a 20 something. Also you have to remember that Anthology came out when we were tweens so it was a great introduction to them.

Babytoxie
10-08-2007, 07:52 PM
I've seen several previews and this movie appears to be heavily geared towards teens and twenty-somethings. I wouldn't expect many folks from the Beatles' generation in the crowd.

I'll pass on this one. I cringe when Beatles songs are reworked. Also, I was around when the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie was released and have no desire to go through something like that again.:laugh:

http://old.ttvnol.com/uploaded/barrygibson/bgshendersons.jpg

thecallahan
10-09-2007, 03:03 AM
B/C the Beatles are the greatest band of all time IMO, and I am a 20 something. Also you have to remember that Anthology came out when we were tweens so it was a great introduction to them.

What she said. Beatles are the best group/band artists ever. Hell, you can play most of their songs and they still sound fresh and current (except for the ones that are overplayed due to commercials).

Teague
10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I've seen several previews and this movie appears to be heavily geared towards teens and twenty-somethings. I wouldn't expect many folks from the Beatles' generation in the crowd.

I'll pass on this one. I cringe when Beatles songs are reworked. Also, I was around when the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie was released and have no desire to go through something like that again.:laugh:

http://old.ttvnol.com/uploaded/barrygibson/bgshendersons.jpg

Hey, that was great cinema! :laugh:

endsongjen
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
i just saw this yest and :eek: great movie. awesome soundtrack too. if u dont own the soundtrack get it!

superdoug
02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Jim and I have been waffling on this movie. Whether to buy it, or wait till it runs on cable. But, after the Grammys last night, we've both decided that we want to see it.

Jim's big fear is also Sgt. Pepper's-based, but I don't think this movie is like that. Rather than make a movie around the album, they're making a movie around songs from -different- albums, which should work.

Mama Mia, however, will probably get a pass until it's on cable.

wktf
02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Not my era either, and I'm 38...I think you'd have to be at least late 40s to count the Beatles in "your" era...probably closer to late 50s/early 60s.

That describes me (late 40s) and I definitely count The Beatles as my era. Age is not a measure of good taste, though, as my 15 year old son absolutely loves The Beatles (of course, I've had a hand in introducing him to the music he loves the best).

endsongjen
02-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Jim and I have been waffling on this movie. Whether to buy it, or wait till it runs on cable. But, after the Grammys last night, we've both decided that we want to see it.

Jim's big fear is also Sgt. Pepper's-based, but I don't think this movie is like that. Rather than make a movie around the album, they're making a movie around songs from -different- albums, which should work.

Mama Mia, however, will probably get a pass until it's on cable.

ya'll will enjoy it, i did. i was kinda scared id hate it. but in no way did that happen. the songs fit so perfectly and u get this feel for the characters. and its not only the main characters that sing. i really liked that. :)

WHITEGTP
02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
My father in law asked the same question when I recommended it to him. Just a great movie with great music. It was cool to see an era with such a distinct sub culture, you don't see that anymore.

hellboydce
02-11-2008, 07:00 PM
the beatles sucked, i just can't understand the love people had/have for them, the Stones, the Doors yes, but not the Beatles

Brru
02-11-2008, 07:07 PM
I think the age deal comes down to a very simple fact. We don't have amazing music that gets to us these days. We have some great songs, but nothing that really connects. I think that times are moving more and more like the era the beatles were in, so the music (a lot of classic rock) is realy starting to make the same connection it used to.

endsongjen
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
the beatles sucked, i just can't understand the love people had/have for them, the Stones, the Doors yes, but not the Beatles
they aint no doors i agree, but those of us that enjoy the beatles dont need you to understand it. u dont like it thats cool too.

I think the age deal comes down to a very simple fact. We don't have amazing music that gets to us these days. We have some great songs, but nothing that really connects. I think that times are moving more and more like the era the beatles were in, so the music (a lot of classic rock) is realy starting to make the same connection it used to.

I Agree with this. and it makes a lot of sense to me.

ARNOLD D
02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Beatles rule!!!!!!!

scott
02-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Some beatles songs can drive me crazy, but most are just pure genius. I have always loved their music,but I used to work with a guy who would play it daily so much that I think the Fab four would have gave him a beating.