PDA

View Full Version : John Carter of Mars coming by 2012

protector2814
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I just read on Darkhorizons.com that a team from Pixar studios has confirmed that they "recently visited the Edgar Rice Burroughs Archives to research a trilogy of John Carter of Mars films."
"Directors Andrew Stanton, Mark Andrews and Pixar Exec. Jim Mooris confirmed the 1st film in the trilogy, which would be part live action, would hit theatres before 2012".
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/4297/4297.jpg
If you haven't explored Burrough's fully realized Martian civilization and the dashing Civil War hero, John Carter, I really recommend that you do so.
This is great news!
Marvel Comics even published a comic version of the 1st book.

rric528
10-09-2007, 02:17 PM
interseting, but I'll believe it when I see it.

There have been rumors forever, but I think now they can pull it off.

I hope this is true, but wonder what the budget will be as I'm not sure how wide the appeal is from a mass market perspective.

But I would love to see this happen.

protector2814
06-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Been 4 years, but here's the poster teaser poster! They actually made a movie from rumour.

http://www.thefilminformant.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/John-Carter-Poster-1-283x420.jpg

Spideristic
07-14-2011, 11:26 AM
John Carter Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E

Jesse321
07-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm REALLY not happy with the girl they got for Dejah!! :banghead:

But the rest of it looks pretty good so far.

abarron
07-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Gotta agree

Babytoxie
07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Ooh that looks REALLY good!

But "John Carter"??? That's the title? :sly2:

protector2814
07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Dejah needs a bigger chest (.)(.) - In the 100 years sinse John first saw print, The Princess has been on covers, comics & pulps shown with an ample bosom. Other than that, and I've noticed that they've taken liberties w/ the origin, the trailer looks fantastic.

Jesse321
07-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't mind her more normal sized chest, I just don't think that the girl herself is sexy enough ... you need someone RIDICULOUSLY sexy like Angelina Jolie or Sophia Varga to play Dejah ... someone just drop dead gorgeous that oozes sex appeal, and I'm not getting that from her.

protector2814
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Totally agree....even though...well, you know.

protector2814
11-23-2011, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rf55GTEZ_E

Starting to get psyched! This trailer is very good and the song stands out. I hope they use it! I had the same feeling I used to get as a boy when reading Burroughs. Hadn't had it in a long time. Felt very good.

Babytoxie
11-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I'll be there, but still...

"John Carter"???

Couldn't they do better than that?

Joining the ranks of other eponymous films such as Jerry Maguire, Erin Brockovich, and Napoleon Dynamite.

protector2814
11-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I'll be there, but still...

"John Carter"???

Couldn't they do better than that?

Joining the ranks of other eponymous films such as Jerry Maguire, Erin Brockovich, and Napoleon Dynamite.

The trailer looks good enough for the movie to potentially be great. I'm willing to forgive the title .. even though "of Mars" sems like it could only help. The John while on earth shots look really good too. His Mars' outfit seems very much like the one Burroughs described. The actor looks great. I have a good feeling about this one. Fingers crossed. Carter, Savage, The Shadow - these were the guys who started everything we now talk about here.

patrickwm68
11-23-2011, 07:33 PM
From Screen Rant:

“[The White Apes is] sort of an oversized gorilla in the books, and they’re kind of ubiquitous. They’re littered everywhere through at least the first several novels. They were always cool, just from a visceral standpoint, [but] they don’t really have a narrative function in the first book. So what we did is we made the White Apes a formidable creature that you kind of hear about throughout the movie, but you never really witness. There’s a subtle sense of anticipation for what these things might be like.

“Then Michael Kutsche — who did a lot of the designs on [the Johnny Depp movie] Alice in Wonderland – came up with this design on his own, for just their scale. He made them nocturnal, almost like moles — they stopped using their eyes, and just had a heightened sense of smell. We just love that. We needed a scene where Carter was going have to get out of his execution sentence in order to move the story forward, and we thought what better than having to go up against this formidable creature?

http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/john-carter-image-570x334.jpg

Meteor Man
11-23-2011, 11:12 PM

Isn't she the girl that was in the Wolverine Origins movie?

Spideristic
12-01-2011, 02:27 AM
http://collider.com/john-carter-movie-trailer-2/129710/
The new full trailer for JOHN CARTER has finally got me excited for Andrew Stanton's first live-action film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-DRps54HUc
John Carter - Trailer

Attack of the Clones, Avatar and many others ripped off quite a few things from the John Carter of Mars series of books. Sadly many would think the other way around.

http://badassdigest.com/2011/11/23/see-a-white-ape-of-mars-from-john-carter/

Jesse321
12-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Isn't she the girl that was in the Wolverine Origins movie?

Yeah and John is the guy that played Gambit ... but the visual of Dejah is COMPLETELY WRONG!!

This is what I was afraid of when I heard that Disney was doing it.

And BTW, the White Apes aren't supposed to be that big, and they're supposed to have a sort of Mohawk. (Don't ask me I didn't write it, I just love those books.)

Hellboy
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm new to this material so I have no idea whether the translation to film is faithful to the source material or not but damn if this don't look good. Looking forward to this movie.

protector2814
12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
I actually like the softer, more subtle 1st trailer than this 2nd. The Led Zep song didn't really work either and can't compare with that 1st ballad used on the 1st trailer. The action is more explored in the 2nd, and it does look good, but I also loved the earth-bound John Carter shown in the 1st one and hope that we're given plenty of time showing the soldier Carter before he's transported to Mars. God, I really want this to be good. Burroughs deserves it.

Spideristic
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
http://badassdigest.com/2011/12/05/andrew-stanton-says-girls-wont-see-movies-with-mars-in-the-title/
Andrew Stanton Says Girls Won’t See Movies With Mars In The Title

Ryu
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Maybe they should adopt mars to twilight titles.

joy_division
12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
just saw this on telly, looks great, apart from John carter! Looks like he walked straight out of Prince of Persia - Give him shorter hair

Spideristic
02-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Fan-Made JOHN CARTER Trailer Is Better Than All The Official Ones (http://badassdigest.com/2012/02/21/fan-made-john-carter-trailer-is-better-than-all-the-official-ones)

John Carter: How motivated fans can actually make a difference | thejohncarterfiles.com (http://thejohncarterfiles.com/blog/2012/02/21/john-carter-can-motivated-fans-actually-make-a-difference/)
Everyone can try to do their bit.

JC Richard's John Carter poster

‘John Carter’: Mondo’s cosmic poster for IMAX midnight shows | Hero Complex – movies, comics, fanboy fare – latimes.com (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/02/21/john-carter-mondos-cosmic-poster-for-imax-midnight-shows/)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pH3Gw_siFCk/T0QYawdxnhI/AAAAAAAAAPM/aC8-0LahTgU/s1600/JohnCarterIMAX_FINAL.jpg

metroid
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I saw it in my crystal ball that the movie will have lots of cgi, paper thin plot, bad acting and happy ending.

Argonus
02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
And BTW, the White Apes aren't supposed to be that big, and they're supposed to have a sort of Mohawk. (Don't ask me I didn't write it, I just love those books.)

Do they drive a black van, and hate flying?

:laugh: Sorry Jesse... odd morning. :)

marvelboi77
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
The premier is tonight in downtown. I have to say that I have zero desire to see this movie.

Spideristic
03-09-2012, 02:46 PM
John Carter was entertaining way till the last minute. Director Andrew Stanton and his team did a great job creating a world that felt REAL, more real than Avatar or the Star Wars prequels ever did.

One of my friends in US managed to get me one of the Mondo posters as well. I hope they release a larger version of the poster later this year.

brentflynn
03-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Saw it today and thought it was excellent. I really hope Disney hasn't knee-capped it with the poor marketing campaign. It deserved better.

I would have to say it's the most brutal Disney film ever made. I can only assume they got away with it because the blood isn't red.

joy_division
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM
saw a review on the tele that said the 3D ruined the film, so I guess I'll see it in 2D

Worse title for a film ever, given the source material. Why not John Carter of Mars or John Carter & the Princess of Mars? Makes no sense!

joy_division
03-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Marvel Comics even published a comic version of the 1st book.

Funny how both Marvel and D.E. are both publishing John Carter comics at the same time :redface:

Matches Malone
03-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Went last night with my daughter and was super impressed. It takes a little bit to get it's legs under it when Carter first on Mars but I was captivated and didn't want it to end by the time the 3rd and 4th acts rolled out. My daughter loved it as well despite talking about potentially seeing "the Lorax" from the time we left the house until the trailers fired up.

hotrodhoodrat
03-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Who's going to be the first sculpture "artist" to do peaces of the movie caricatures ?!? :D

Can't wait to get the BR DVD :thumbs2:

joefixit2
03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Went last night with my daughter and was super impressed. It takes a little bit to get it's legs under it when Carter first on Mars but I was captivated and didn't want it to end by the time the 3rd and 4th acts rolled out. My daughter loved it as well despite talking about potentially seeing "the Lorax" from the time we left the house until the trailers fired up.
How old is your daughter? My youngest daughter is 10 and wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for her even though I think she would like the movie.

Babytoxie
03-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Funny how both Marvel and D.E. are both publishing John Carter comics at the same time :redface:

And Dark Horse was reprinting older material from Dell, DC, and Marvel... but then Marvel decided to reprint that same material of theirs in an omnibus. :confused:

Strange Planet Stories is releasing their own adaptation of APoM in a few months. I'll pick it up, as it sounds like a faithful adaptation, and I really liked INJ Culbard's work on their Sherlock Holmes adaptations.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gleBT0B_3Yg/TeC2u39sZxI/AAAAAAAABc8/9JZyiZZ0naQ/s400/POMcovsmall.jpg

As for the movie, I initially considered it a must-see, but now I just can't get worked up about it, and I'm a longtime fan of the Barsoom series.

joy_division
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I went to see it on Monday, and liked it, apart from the naff ending(not the fight, but earth)

Initially I was going to see it in 2-D, but then I learnt that the cinema I was going to was the first in the UK to have D-BOX seats and this was the first film that was using them, so I decided to see it in 3-D, although me being me, I missed about half of the film by not being in the right seat!

Matches Malone
03-14-2012, 12:15 AM
How old is your daughter? My youngest daughter is 10 and wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for her even though I think she would like the movie.

Hey Joe, sorry I didn't see ur post until now.
She is 7 and I didn't think that there was overly inappropriate. I was pretty comfortable with everything onscreen and the gore is meted by the fact that the alien blood is a blue/purple colour. Most of the blood splatter looked no different than those "Gushers fruit snack" commercials.

boondocksaint
03-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Who's going to be the first sculpture "artist" to do peaces of the movie caricatures ?!? :D

Can't wait to get the BR DVD :thumbs2:

i cant wait for the dvd ....i need reference pics of tars tarkas...id like to attempt sculpting a bust of him but need more pics than the internet has.... :waah:

joy_division
03-14-2012, 01:08 AM
i cant wait for the dvd ....i need reference pics of tars tarkas...id like to attempt sculpting a bust of him but need more pics than the internet has.... :waah:the THarks were too thin and wimpy IMO. Looked much better in the 1st storyline of DE's JCoM

Tetragrammaton
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm estimating a final domestic take of $83M for the film.

Let's see how close I get.

Lord Loki
03-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Very good fun movie. Disney did do crap marketing.

abarron
03-16-2012, 04:29 AM
Had no interest in watching this but the trailers make it look great.

Might pick it up on DVD

Royd
03-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I thought that the movie had engaging characters, humour, great effects and was overall great fun! I won't give away plot/story elements but one of my fave scene was a very NCIS Gibbs like moment ;)

I am puzzled by the negative reviews by critics (even before the movie was released they were predicting gloom and doom) but heartened by the positive responses from the audience and hopeful that word of mouth will spread that it's a lot of fun and well worth watching! Rotten Tomatoes shows the critics rating at 51% but the audience rates it at 71%.

As regards box office, it has apparently been an average domestic opening which Box Office Mojo has at $43.6 million since it was released 8 days ago, however, the foreign earnings total $70.6 million and the latest figures for the foreign market have yet to be updated. In addition, the movie has yet to open in the huge market of China where it is expected to do well based on the Hong Kong opening response!

The movie apparently cost in the vicinity of $250 million (although some have said $350 million but that's a huge discrepancy) so my fingers are crossed that with further US sales combined with future foreign earnings, we may yet see a sequel!

ratchet
03-17-2012, 09:53 PM
The movie cost 250 Million to make - and Disney sunk another 100 million into advertising - that's where the 350 comes from.

Unfortunately, a movie like this needs to preform WAY above average to make it's return - that's why people are already deeming it a huge loss...

Royd
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Ahhh, okay, thanks for the explanation re the advertising component :)

After 8 days, worldwide sales total $114 million (with the China release yet to come) - http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=johncarterofmars.htm so I'm hoping that word of mouth will help it "over the line"!

The movie cost 250 Million to make - and Disney sunk another 100 million into advertising - that's where the 350 comes from.

Unfortunately, a movie like this needs to preform WAY above average to make it's return - that's why people are already deeming it a huge loss...

rychehitman
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
I knew NOTHING about the mythos of John Carter and had
Zero interest in it based on appearance alone. I knew nothing about the Princess of Mars book and passed on even flipping through a John Carter comic book.

Based on a glowing recommendation from my brother from another mother Pablocruze, I took my son to see the John Carter movie tonight...so here is my perspective from a total blank slate point of
view.

This movie was GREAT! I loved it, my son loved it, and everyone
In the theater appeared to have loved it. The story was entertaining and easy to follow....was full of excitement and humor....and was not predictable or typical.

The effects were well done and the acting by the two main leads was well done.

I would recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys the sci-fi genre. With so many crap movies being made and getting sequels it would be a damn shame if Disney doesn't see this as a success which would result in a sequel or other similar green lit projects get squished. Go see this movie people, especially if you have young sons....they will love it!

Meteor Man
03-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Zero interest in it based on appearance alone. I knew nothing about the Princess of Mars book and passed on even flipping through a John Carter comic book.

Based on a glowing recommendation from my brother from another mother Pablocruze, I took my son to see the John Carter movie tonight...so here is my perspective from a total blank slate point of
view.

In the theater appeared to have loved it. The story was entertaining and easy to follow....was full of excitement and humor....and was not predictable or typical.

I would recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys the sci-fi genre. With so many crap movies being made and getting sequels it would be a damn shame if Disney doesn't see this as a success which would result in a sequel or other similar green lit projects get squished. Go see this movie people, especially if you have young sons....they will love it!

Thanks for the review. I have been planning on seeing this with my son, and would have gone anyway, but it's good to hear that you liked it. It looks great from everything I've seen of it so far...

Nitefall
03-18-2012, 02:25 AM

Thank you Rychehitman. Looking forward to it!:thumbs2:

Matches Malone
03-18-2012, 12:29 PM

view.

I take exception to that comment ;)
My 7 year old daughter LOVED it! To the extent that one of those Imax posters had to be bought off eBay for her room. Two strong female characters and two father/daughter storylines that make it attractive to share with your daughters as well as your sons :thumbs2:

Marvelito
03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Go see this movie people, especially if you have young sons....they will love it!

I think this says it all. :D

I did love it by the way. :buttrock:

Royd
03-18-2012, 01:11 PM
According to Box Office Mojo website, domestic figures have been updated up to 18 March (10 days total) and show earnings as $53.17 million with foreign earnings still to be updated (last update showed it as $70.6 million). Combined - $123.77 million).

Hopefully word of mouth will continue to build! John Carter vs. The Critics!

Royd
03-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Latest update - "John Carter grossed $13.5 million in its second weekend for a 10-day domestic cume of $53.2 million while overseas, the Disney pic grossed $40.7 million. The overseas figure includes a solid $10.4 million debut in China–for a foreign total of $126.1 million and worldwide cumulative total of $179.3 million after 10 days."

kirthew
03-18-2012, 03:00 PM
The problem with John Carter is that Disney spent 100 Million on marketing, but I have no clue what the movie is about, as far as I can tell it is about a dude who battles monsters in an arena...

That is what I get out of the advertisement... No one mentions that it comes from the mind of the man who created Conan. Until recently they just started with the marketing tact that before Star Wars, before Avatar, there was John Carter.

I really think Disney basically shot themselves in the foot with the whole marketing campaign. I want to see the movie now, but there are so many other movies that are holding my interest, like 21 Jump Street, the Hunger Games, the American Pie Reunion. Disney really blew this...

Babytoxie
03-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Actually, it's from the creator of Tarzan. But you're right, kirthew... there's none of the typical "In a world" narration that accompanies most previews these days, and that certainly would have helped. And that additional bit of information would have gotten people's attention, I think.

Damn that title. "John Carter"... big deal. "A Princess of Mars" is a whole different ballgame, and if Disney were worried that the word "Princess" would turn away the male audience - well, the clips in the commercials would do away with that.

Spazzy
03-18-2012, 04:22 PM
I still want to see this but I have trouble finding time to go to the movies anymore usually just wait a few months and can get them on dvd. Plus people in the audience always tend to ruin my experience

rychehitman
John Carter: Princess of Mars

kirthew
Actually, it's from the creator of Tarzan. But you're right, kirthew... there's none of the typical "In a world" narration that accompanies most previews these days, and that certainly would have helped. And that additional bit of information would have gotten people's attention, I think.

Damn that title. "John Carter"... big deal. "A Princess of Mars" is a whole different ballgame, and if Disney were worried that the word "Princess" would turn away the male audience - well, the clips in the commercials would do away with that.

Sorry, I thought it was Conan... I think if they mentioned 'from the mind of the man who created Tarzan' in the flipping preview, I would be interested... but I remember sitting in the theater and go.. Meh. It did nothing to grab me.

The trailer to 21 Jump Street grabbed me. The Avengers trailer, grabbed me. Prometheous grabbed me. John Carter... Meh.

tedmic
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
21 Jump Street? Please. If your 12 maybe.

rychehitman
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM
I thought it was very clever how they wrote the author of the book into the fabric of the movie.

Regarding 21 Jumpstreet.....I saw an interview with Ice Cube the other day and he was asked about the movie and if it was like the tv series. His immediate answer was that the movie is nothing at all like the tv series...... Which immediately made me wonder "then why the f did they name the movie 21 Jump Street....especially if the stars are going to immediate distance the movie from the name recognition of the tv show. Based on that stupidity alone I refuse to ever watch the movie until it comes on Spike Tv in 2016.

kirthew
03-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Honestly, 21 Jump Street was awesome. I saw it at a midnight showing, and I was laughing the entire time... They took the premise of 21 Jump Street, and then did their own thing with it. It is not exactly like the tv show... but it has a lot of throw backs to the tv show. Just go to Rottentomatoes and look at the buzz it is getting.

Babytoxie
03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I thought it was very clever how they wrote the author of the book into the fabric of the movie.

Regarding 21 Jumpstreet.....I saw an interview with Ice Cube the other day and he was asked about the movie and if it was like the tv series. His immediate answer was that the movie is nothing at all like the tv series...... Which immediately made me wonder "then why the f did they name the movie 21 Jump Street....especially if the stars are going to immediate distance the movie from the name recognition of the tv show. Based on that stupidity alone I refuse to ever watch the movie until it comes on Spike Tv in 2016.

:goodpost: I hadn't really thought about that angle, but you're right.

jollyskeleton
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
John Carter: Princess of Mars

:hilarious:

Hellboy
03-19-2012, 02:50 AM
I've been pretty excited to see this film since hearing about it and went in knowing next to nothing about it beyond what has been shown in the trailers. Honestly I came away pretty disappointed. Its pretty straightforward stuff. Average in nearly every aspect.

I really expected the narrative to be stronger than it was given the strong following and history behind John Carter, however beyond the initial concept, the title character and his predicament the rest was pretty weak. The conflict between the different groups/races on Mars seemed to lack any real depth or motivation beyond the cliched lust for power/control/world domination. The lack of a good villain hurts this film considerably. The few villains that were present were terribly underdeveloped, far from imposing and completely uninteresting.

I'd hoped that at the very least the action would be great. Not so much. First off there wasn't enough of it. Way to much boring dialog was exchanged between the two leads. When the action did heat up none of it was very well choreographed. I also never felt like John Carter wasn't going to be able to overcome his predicament despite the odds and because of that the whole film lacks any sense of real tension. Carter feels a bit to much like Superman for my tastes. A little bit of vulnerability would have gone a long way IMO.

Last but certainly not least were the TERRIBLE names for the characters, kingdoms and locales. Aside from Carter himself and the laughable name of Helium as one of the Kingdoms I couldn't tell you a single alien character's name off the top of my head and I saw the film earlier today. :thumbsdow

Good for kids I suppose as it has some fun moments and the effects are decent enough but overall I found John Carter to be a bit to simplistic and predictable.

joy_division
03-19-2012, 03:03 AM
I've been pretty excited to see this film since hearing about it and went in knowing next to nothing about it beyond what has been shown in the trailers. Honestly I came away pretty disappointed. Its pretty straightforward stuff. Average in nearly every aspect.

I really expected the narrative to be stronger than it was given the strong following and history behind John Carter, however beyond the initial concept, the title character and his predicament the rest was pretty weak. The conflict between the different groups/races on Mars seemed to lack any real depth or motivation beyond the cliched lust for power/control/world domination. The lack of a good villain hurts this film considerably. The few villains that were present were terribly underdeveloped, far from imposing and completely uninteresting.

I'd hoped that at the very least the action would be great. Not so much. First off there wasn't enough of it. Way to much boring dialog was exchanged between the two leads. When the action did heat up none of it was very well choreographed. I also never felt like John Carter wasn't going to be able to overcome his predicament despite the odds and because of that the whole film lacks any sense of real tension. Carter feels a bit to much like Superman for my tastes. A little bit of vulnerability would have gone a long way IMO.

Last but certainly not least were the TERRIBLE names for the characters, kingdoms and locales. Aside from Carter himself and the laughable name of Helium as one of the Kingdoms I couldn't tell you a single alien character's name off the top of my head and I saw the film earlier today. :thumbsdow

Good for kids I suppose as it has some fun moments and the effects are decent enough but overall I found John Carter to be a bit to simplistic and predictable.

Blame ERB for that, not Disney. Were they supposed to change the names from the source material?

Hellboy
03-19-2012, 03:13 AM
Blame ERB for that, not Disney. Were they supposed to change the names from the source material?

No I'm certainly not saying they should change anything from the source material. I assumed these were the names given by ERB not Disney but that doesn't change the fact that they were difficult to follow and IMO quite poor.

joy_division
03-19-2012, 04:03 AM
No I'm certainly not saying they should change anything from the source material. I assumed these were the names given by ERB not Disney but that doesn't change the fact that they were difficult to follow and IMO quite poor.I know you weren't :)

I'm used to them as I have read the first story arc of DE's JCoM - whic I recommend BTW 9 or 10 issues I think

Spideristic
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
The fact The Lorax is a hit and John Carter is a flop makes me want to stab everybody (http://io9.com/5894393/the-fact-the-lorax-is-a-hit-and-john-carter-is-a-flop-makes-me-want-to-stab-everybody)

Tetragrammaton
03-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Despite having enjoyed it personally, John Carter was not a great movie. Still, it probably deserves better than its domestic numbers show. The fact that the studio went so expensive with the film in the first place seems like a major risk given there were no A-list stars nor was it a well-known franchise (i.e. Twilight, Hunger Games).

ratchet
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM

21 Jumpstreet WAS going to be a drama - much like the TV show - until they got Jonah Hill - and then they changed the whole tone of the movie.

joy_division
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Disney is expecting a $200M loss

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051647

Babytoxie
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I stumbled across this site and was struck by how beautiful Michael Whelan's book covers are. I had this edition of the series as a kid, but the titles and text obscured a lot of the image.

http://www.catspawdynamics.com/john-carter-of-mars-covers-by-michael-whelan/

Then click on the Gino d'Achille link at the top of that page to see a very different but no less stunning interpretation.

Not to mention the covers by Frank Frazetta...

There is so much material from which the producers could have drawn inspiration. Any one of these covers looks far more interesting than what Disney went with.

Nitefall
03-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I stumbled across this site and was struck by how beautiful Michael Whelan's book covers are. I had this edition of the series as a kid, but the titles and text obscured a lot of the image.

http://www.catspawdynamics.com/john-carter-of-mars-covers-by-michael-whelan/

Then click on the Gino d'Achille link at the top of that page

They sure are! :buttrock: Thank you Babytoxie, I had only seen 1 or 2 of those. :thumbs2: Also really like d'Achille's paintings which I have never seen.

(One of my favorite Whelan paintings is The Gunslinger cover from Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Had the chance to buy a limited edition print of that years ago and blew it.:banghead: )

Babytoxie
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
:thumbs2:

Spideristic
05-31-2012, 03:19 PM
The Real Reason The Press Went Easy On BATTLESHIP And Killed JOHN CARTER | Badass Digest (http://badassdigest.com/2012/05/31/the-real-reason-the-press-went-easy-on-battleship-and-killed-john-carter/)

Hellboy
05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
The Real Reason The Press Went Easy On BATTLESHIP And Killed JOHN CARTER | Badass Digest (http://badassdigest.com/2012/05/31/the-real-reason-the-press-went-easy-on-battleship-and-killed-john-carter/)

Because John Carter was based off respected source material and showed promise but ultimately disappointed while Battleship was based off a freakin' board game and had clear indicators from the beginning that it would be crap - Transformers rip off, Rihanna, etc.. :p

Nidgit
05-31-2012, 07:15 PM

"Hollywood Hates Creatives" Give me a break. The press didn't kill John Carter . . . the film-makers killed it . . . I watched it the other day and it was a dud . . . plain and simple.

Lord Loki
05-31-2012, 07:19 PM
After reading the book the should have kept more from the book into the movie. Was still good though more fun then any of the star wars pres or transformers or Avatar . But I didnt see 250mill in it.

Hellboy
05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
"Hollywood Hates Creatives" Give me a break. The press didn't kill John Carter . . . the film-makers killed it . . . I watched it the other day and it was a dud . . . plain and simple.

Agreed.