PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD 51GB disc.

Bullseye
10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

In other news for the HD-DVD camp, just two days after Sony DADC announced that they'd replicated their milestone 10 millionth 50GB Blu-ray Disc (click here for the Video Business story), the HD-DVD Promotions Group quickly countered with a little damage control, making sure everyone knew that the DVD Forum was close to approving the spec for a triple-layer 51GB HD-DVD disc (click here). However, industry sources are telling us that NONE of the existing Toshiba HD-DVD players and drives are currently capable of reading them. Indeed, the Video Business story indicates that once the spec is finalized, "compatibility with current HD DVD player and recorders can be investigated." According to reports from Bits readers who were on at CEATAC this weekend, Toshiba reps confirmed to attendees that the triple-layer disc configuration would require a hardware change, meaning that the existing drives are not firmware updatable.

Endless Wake
10-09-2007, 07:19 PM
I love how its 1 GB higher, :laugh:. Besides putting entire tv seasons on one disc, what possible use can these have? Most studios like to boast alot of dvds in a season to make the consumer feel as if they're getting more.

Bullseye
10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Read the part where you will need new hardware to play them though.

thecallahan
10-09-2007, 08:04 PM

Guess they payed too much attention to Sony on this one :laugh:

batman1180
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM

This will be some major BS if they start using these discs to release movies on. I just got my HD DVD player.

DSET
10-09-2007, 10:32 PM
so wat if they release some movies on this disc it wont run on my 360 hddvd player?
if so thats ridiculous what r they thinking

noseeb13
10-09-2007, 10:57 PM

Same thing with the new 100 gig blu ray disc. One analyst said that these higher capacity disc will probably never be used for movies but rather as data storage.

If it turns out new hardware is needed for the 51 disc they will never use it for movies and continue to include a second disc, a few HD camp supporters already said they liked a second disc because they can do whatever they want with it and there is the perception that you get more for your money (2 discs instead of one).

Kujo
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
There is no point in having this much capacity for movies... once its uncompressed, what else do you need? While the current HD tech can support interactive features, i've not seen many to actually utilise it, so its not really worth using the extra space in special features.

Datastorage is another question... its good that they are making them, but the likes of flash drives and memory cards are likely going to replace them as there is less chance of scratching them etc.

Bullseye
10-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Uncompressed sound PCM.

The General
10-11-2007, 08:28 AM
When I saw who started this thread I knew there had to be a catch. :thumbs2:

Bullseye
10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
LOL. You don't believe it;)

Kujo
10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
haha, you two are funny