PDA

View Full Version : Need Painting advice - faux Bronze and faux Marble

JohnCleary
10-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Hi gang,

I am putting the finishing touches on my Perseus sculpt and I am thinking of casting it as a kit but I want to try and do a few paintmasters for it. I want a faux bronze, a white stone marble style like the classic statues of Michaelangelo, Bernini etc and a full on flesh tone painted one.

I mainly need advice on what brand of paints and techniques I can use for the white marble and bronze style? I appreciate any tips and advice you painters can offer.

Thanks!

fenix v.2.0
10-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Kitbuilders #57 :) Danno does a great article

JohnCleary
10-17-2007, 03:40 PM
CooL!!!! I have that issue but havent really looked at it yet. Thats awesome that my answers are in that mag. I never buy that mag mostly because I never see it but I was in a hobby shop and saw it so I picked it up.

Thanks!

JohnCleary
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
I read Dans article on painting Faux Bronze. It was great!

Dan if your reading this do you know how I can achieve the look of faux stone marble like the classic sculptures of Michaelangelo etc? I'm looking for that white stone look.

Thanks!

Danno
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey John,

It is basically the same...except using different values of color. For this, I would probably start by basecoaint the base in light gray and then spritzing black, dark gray, light gray and then white until you have a nearly white base with lots of flecks below. Then do through and add your veining with soft grays and soft yellow tans colors. Finally going back the the airbrush and add your mottling with thinned transparent shading gray and thinner transparent Raw Umber Hue and thinned Freestyle bass Belly white and thinned Freestyle opaque white.

I read Dans article on painting Faux Bronze. It was great!

Dan if your reading this do you know how I can achieve the look of faux stone marble like the classic sculptures of Michaelangelo etc? I'm looking for that white stone look.

Thanks!

JohnCleary
10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info Dan. That sounds kind of intimidating. I hope I can pull it off. :) I want to try and learn to paint some of my work so I appreciate the help here. I want to kit my perseus and I think it will look pretty cool painted like a classic statue since it is inspired by the classics. It will also be cool to see it in faux bronze and a real paintup. I am baking probably going to mold it next week and as soon as I get a new compressor I will paint it.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

John