PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Cast

Endless Wake
10-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Click on the photos on the left;

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/article/2310513.html

CessnaDriver
10-18-2007, 09:46 PM
another remake raping classics again, sigh.

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt.

There is only one Captain Kirk.

Forever so it shall be.

Jesse321
10-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Going backwards is EXACTLY why Enterprise didn't work .. I'm not holding out much hope for this movie either!

ftrez
10-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I guess they're not bad choices. My problem, and admittedly I don't know the plot of the movie, is that the film makers expect me to believe that the crew of the Enterprise were assigned together as youths.

protector2814
10-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm a huge Star Trek fan yet for some reason I just don't give a #*%t about this movie. It'll take 3 months to come and go, a few months later it'll come out on DVD, a year after that it'll be forgotten and I'll still be watching my classic Trek on TV, this'll be nothing more than a hic-cup.

I wish someone would direct a Star Trek movie or two whic deal directly with a Federation/Klingon/Romulan Galactic War and kind of point the future of the Trek Time-Line in an entirely different direction. Say....500 years after Picard.
What will the Federation be like years and years after Next Gen?

Meteor Man
10-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I still want to see an attempted re- creation of classic Trek done with todays FX. I'm curious to see how they do the phaser effect, the transporter, etc. Back in the 60's, everyone got disintigrated by the phasers unless they were on stun, and in the newer series that didn't always happen. I know this probably won't be that great, but I'm still curious....:confused2

Makkari1
10-19-2007, 01:01 PM
The movie execs have really run out of ideas and have no originality left in them. They have beaten this horse beyond death and are squeezing every ounce or popularity out of the series. I would imagine long after William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy is dead and buried, they execs will still try and capture the essence of the original series. The sad thing is that there are only so many ways you can retell a story and it is hard to recapture the original magic. That ship has sailed and they need a new focus.

The magic that Kirk, Spock and others on the original cast is gone but the concept of the show is still there. When I was a young kid watching the original series and the show always made reference to other people and other ships I was intrigued. This is why I liked Deep Space Nine because it had completly different characters and made very little reference to Kirk and the gang. If they look in a new direction, I think they may have something.

The kind of thinking they have is the same type that killed the Superman series. How many times will Supes fight Luthor? As I recall Superman had other enemies and I think they would make a interesting story.

snappahead
10-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I have to admit that as much as I think this is a bad idea, I (like everyone else) will be really curious about this when it comes out. I mean, how can you not be. This will make alot of money based entirely on everyone's morbid curiosity.

Alex655321
10-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I have to admit that as much as I think this is a bad idea, I (like everyone else) will be really curious about this when it comes out. I mean, how can you not be. This will make alot of money based entirely on everyone's morbid curiosity.

My feelings exactly.
As much as I think it is a bad idea, I will be first in line to see it!

superdoug
10-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Hello? Where the heck is Yeoman Janice Rand? She's been established as having been on the Enterprise since the First Mission. And yet, they didn't cast her? Boo.

BOSCO
10-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Being a ST fan i`ll go and see this too even though i`ve never liked this idea of doing a prequel.They could and should`ve gone with a storyline some time in the future.
I know its gonna be strange seeing other actors playing the original crew but Karl Urban as McCoy:confused:

JadeGiant
10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
My feelings exactly.
As much as I think it is a bad idea, I will be first in line to see it!

as will I

CessnaDriver
10-21-2007, 02:58 PM
Wont see it.
Cant support it.
Gotta draw a line somewhere.

Its wrong do this.

Classic trek was a unique and powerful vision.

Boldy going backwards makes no sense.

Sure, a TOS era film is fine, I dont mind that, Captain April or Pike or something.

But this? no.

You cant recast those characters. they were born on TV, unique creations often from the input of the actors. Scotty was a scotsman because Doohan thought the best engineers he knew were scotsman.

Roddenberry and the people that helped him captured lightning in a bottle, and created pop cultural LEGENDS deserve respect. Those legends even inspired some of the best among us to do the things they have done, engineers, pilots, astronauts, doctors. you name it.

Things like that.

This is not right folks.

Our guts tell us this.

I wont reward it with my money.

Classic trek is not an appropriate subject for Hollywood remakeitis. Trek itself deserves FAR better.

I dont care how much they say this is respectful.

it is not.

It is a rape.

snappahead
10-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Cessna...you've got a pair of Spock ears at home don't you?

Fans get way too worked up about things. Like everyone, I agree that this is a bad idea, but it does nothing to degrade the original cast or show. You'll still love that stuff as much as you ever did. It might even make you appreciate them even more hehehe.

But be honest with yourself...you'll watch this movie...you can't help it..none of us can...it's like a car crash. You don't want to look but you just have too:)

CessnaDriver
10-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Cessna...you've got a pair of Spock ears at home don't you?

Fans get way too worked up about things. Like everyone, I agree that this is a bad idea, but it does nothing to degrade the original cast or show. You'll still love that stuff as much as you ever did. It might even make you appreciate them even more hehehe.

But be honest with yourself...you'll watch this movie...you can't help it..none of us can...it's like a car crash. You don't want to look but you just have too:)

No Spock ears yet.

You know where I can score some????

Just a life long fan since the early seventies when I was old enough to watch TV.

I have my limits. This is one of them.

People will go because they will see pumped up FX and young faces. all packaged and wrapped for the modern moving going youth demographic.

Spock will be "sick", Uhura "smokin", the Enterprise will dazzle with new FX, etc etc.

Getting off the Trek train for a while.

Others can ride.

I'll wait for the next train.

Only one original crew for me.

http://www.creationent.com/images/O-MISC73.jpg

JLM
10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Trek films are a bit hit and miss, but I'm rather looking forward to this.

Gruson
10-21-2007, 09:18 PM
This will bomb....awful IMO.

Classic and TNG for me.

nbr3bagshotrow
11-09-2007, 04:59 PM
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=283451&GT1=7701

wolverinejedi007
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Learn Who Plays Christopher Pike in STAR TREK!!

It’s 51-year-old Canadian and "John From Cincinnati" star Bruce Greenwood!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34730

HelloKinky
11-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Wont see it.
Cant support it.
Gotta draw a line somewhere.

Its wrong do this.

Classic trek was a unique and powerful vision.

Boldy going backwards makes no sense.

Sure, a TOS era film is fine, I dont mind that, Captain April or Pike or something.

But this? no.

You cant recast those characters. they were born on TV, unique creations often from the input of the actors. Scotty was a scotsman because Doohan thought the best engineers he knew were scotsman.

Roddenberry and the people that helped him captured lightning in a bottle, and created pop cultural LEGENDS deserve respect. Those legends even inspired some of the best among us to do the things they have done, engineers, pilots, astronauts, doctors. you name it.

Things like that.

This is not right folks.

Our guts tell us this.

I wont reward it with my money.

Classic trek is not an appropriate subject for Hollywood remakeitis. Trek itself deserves FAR better.

I dont care how much they say this is respectful.

it is not.

It is a rape.

Wow get a load of this guy.

CessnaDriver
11-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Wow get a load of this guy.

Is there nothing you would not be angry about if they tried to remake it?

nbr3bagshotrow
11-09-2007, 06:12 PM

It's not a remake.

Anyways, I'm a Star Trek fan from way back. I'll give anybody the benefit of the doubt for trying to revive Star Trek. I'll say I'm skeptical it will be good but I'll be there opening day anyways. Quite honestly I was skeptical about TNG, Voyager, DS9, & Enterprise but honestly, I've enjoyed them all. The fact they have all run for more than 5 seasons is a testiment they were decent enough for most of the Star Trek fans to watch.

CessnaDriver
11-09-2007, 06:26 PM
It's not a remake.

Anyways, I'm a Star Trek fan from way back. I'll give anybody the benefit of the doubt for trying to revive Star Trek. I'll say I'm skeptical it will be good but I'll be there opening day anyways. Quite honestly I was skeptical about TNG, Voyager, DS9, & Enterprise but honestly, I've enjoyed them all. The fact they have all run for more than 5 seasons is a testiment they were decent enough for most of the Star Trek fans to watch.

It is indeed effectually a remake of TOS, if not a reboot.

I am a Trek fan from way back as well. Early seventies when I was old enough to watch TV.
Seen every film in theaters, watched every series,
Some better then others sure.

But I draw the line here.

It is like repainting the Last Supper.

It is a remake to me. It can never be what it is trying to be.

Those characters are icons my whole life played by the same folks that helped create those characters to begin with.

Only a time machine could bring back those characters again.

Ill be getting off the Trek train for a while.

Ill wait for the next one.

You guys ride if you like. Enjoy. Wouldnt wish less then your moneys worth.

But make no mistake, that is not classic Trek up there. They will be standing in the shadows of creative visionarys and can only hope to mimic their creations.

HelloKinky
11-09-2007, 06:29 PM

Just seems like overkill. Are you trying to dissuade us froming seeing it? We know you won't. We understand, I just think you took it a bit far is all.

CessnaDriver
11-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Just seems like overkill. Are you trying to dissuade us froming seeing it? We know you won't. We understand, I just think you took it a bit far is all.

Too far? Me?
Sure, I know.

If people want to go, go of course. I dont wish a bad experience for their dollar.

I just think Trek is special and deserved better then another Hollywood rehashing treatment.

Roddenberry left a template to frame his vision.
Not carbon paper to copy it with.

patrickwm68
11-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I'd rather see a current continuity film than a prequel film. I'll still see it though.

BOSCO
11-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Same here Pat,its just gonna be weird hearing and seeing Kirk and no William Shatner.The same with the rest of the cast.

Comicboy
11-10-2007, 03:22 PM
They cast Ryder as Spock's 'Vulcan' mother!? I'll see it as other's will out of morbid curiousity but I'm not holding out much hope. I'm thinking lots of oooooo's and ahhhhh's from the effects and a very thin story probably just a new re-introduction to the cast with some tweaks.

CessnaDriver
11-10-2007, 03:42 PM
They cast Ryder as Spock's 'Vulcan' mother!? I'll see it as other's will out of morbid curiousity but I'm not holding out much hope. I'm thinking lots of oooooo's and ahhhhh's from the effects and a very thin story probably just a new re-introduction to the cast with some tweaks.

They better make sure she doesnt steal anything.

Wow. So glad I have already decided not to see this thing.

Oof!

Foord
11-10-2007, 08:50 PM
These days all that matters is special effects, which mirrors the superficiality of our society. I'm so shallow I can't wait to watch it and instantly forget the experience after putting the disk back in the mail-box...

superdoug
11-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Yeah...that caught my attention, too, because Amanda was decidedly human. It's even remarked upon in a couple of episodes that Spock took a lot of crap from other Vulcan children because of that fact.

But, honestly, as much as I'm looking forward to checking this out (and I don't feel like it's a remake, but rather a re-imagining, which I can live with), Ryder being cast as Amanda (or worse, an actual Vulcan mother) is a very bad idea.

rilynil
11-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Spock's mother was human, right????? In that case, I'm sure they cast Ryder as Spock's mother because there is no doubting she can emote. That's been the strength of all of her best performances, and Ryder is a talented actress.

As always, I'll hold withhold judgment until seeing the movie because, as always, the story is the most vital part of the movie. (Except when the goal is pure special effects, such as with Transformer) I would wager that the folks in charge of this movie know what the original Star Trek's strength was.

rilynil
11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Pegg sounds cool as Scotty, too. :)

MiamiLoco
11-13-2007, 01:55 AM
http://www.jfxonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/newspock-404.jpg

CessnaDriver
11-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Looks like a Star Trek convention attendee.

nbr3bagshotrow
01-28-2015, 03:21 PM
This will bomb....awful IMO.

Classic and TNG for me.
Yep, awful.

joefixit2
01-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Yep, awful.
???? why in the world did you dig up this old thread?

nbr3bagshotrow
01-28-2015, 05:43 PM
???? why in the world did you dig up this old thread?
With all the negativity around the Ghostbusters 3 movie, thought I would dig up some past threads. Star Trek turned out pretty good IMO.

The General
01-28-2015, 06:34 PM
With all the negativity around the Ghostbusters 3 movie, thought I would dig up some past threads. Star Trek turned out pretty good IMO.

I agree. Star Trek was really good.

ParisDean
01-28-2015, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see what CessnaDriver has to say now. :laugh:

Meteor Man
01-28-2015, 10:42 PM

I really enjoyed both of the new Trek movies too...

CessnaDriver
01-28-2015, 10:54 PM
I'd like to see what CessnaDriver has to say now. :laugh:

From hell's heart I still stab at Trek In Name Only.
Like from the deepest parts of hell, and then I would dig down even more to stab from there. LOL

Interstellar did a damn good job doing the job Star Trek should be doing. So I've moved on and hope Trek will someday return to TV, where hopefully actual Sci Fi writers respectful of what TOS was all about will get a chance someday to bring back the true magic of what the series was all about.