PDA

View Full Version : 30 Day's of Night

outlikealight
10-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Went to see 30 Day's of Night today and it absolutely rocked. I thought it was really well done and is probably one of the best horror films of this decade. I was glad that they did a good job with this. Anyone else see it and what did you think.

Out

moon_knight1971
10-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Very encouraging. All the news regarding this movie has been positive:)

Bullseye
10-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Excellent. I look forward to seeing this at the cinema.

cougartrace
10-19-2007, 05:43 PM
I really want to see this

Trilogy
10-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Thats good to know. I want to see this.

snappahead
10-19-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm also planning to see this. The reviews by and large have been mixed, but leaning toward the bad side. Some reviews have really slammed it. I still plan to check it out, but the reviews I've read aren't very encouraging.

tuv1305
10-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Went to see 30 Day's of Night today and it absolutely rocked. I thought it was really well done and is probably one of the best horror films of this decade. I was glad that they did a good job with this. Anyone else see it and what did you think.

Out

Just got back from watching this with the wife and kids and we all loved it :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

Alex655321
10-19-2007, 09:01 PM
My girl wants to see this.
After reading all the positve reviews we will see it this weekend.

Maybe I can get her to pay for the movie :D

TNovak
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
My girl wants to see this.
After reading all the positve reviews we will see it this weekend.

Maybe I can get her to pay for the movie :D

It's been my experience that women are all for equal rights until its time to pick up a check or get in a lifeboat

Alex655321
10-19-2007, 09:07 PM
It's been my experience that women are all for equal rights until its time to pick up a check or get in a lifeboat

:laugh: :thumbs2:

snappahead
10-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Get in a lifeboat?! You've had THAT experience?!

pdashnut12
10-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Someone has to row!

TNovak
10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Get in a lifeboat?! You've had THAT experience?!

Just goes to show you what a true believer I am in equal rights :thumbs2:

AsOneDead
10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm dying to see this movie!! a few more weeks till it comes out here :mad:

Danno
10-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I just got back from seeing it with my wife.
Now...I never read the comic, when I found out the movie was being made...I decided to hold off reading it so that it would not taint the way that I viewed the film.

That being said, overall....we enjoyed it. Nice cinematography, great mood, very cool special effects, clean and simple story line, but it works well with the film. It moves at a pretty good pace with plenty of startling scares that may make you jump (I did several times). These are probably the creepiest vampires I have ever seen....the unusual design was really a nice take on making the vampires seem fresh and new.

Now, like I said...over all...it is a fun and enjoyable film....my only gripe was with the climax (I won't blow it for any of you waiting to see the film), but something about the climax just didn't sit well with me...other than that...two thumbs up!

rilynil
10-19-2007, 11:33 PM
I may go see this Sunday. :)

outlikealight
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Now...I never read the comic, when I found out the movie was being made...I decided to hold off reading it so that it would not taint the way that I viewed the film.

That being said, overall....we enjoyed it. Nice cinematography, great mood, very cool special effects, clean and simple story line, but it works well with the film. It moves at a pretty good pace with plenty of startling scares that may make you jump (I did several times). These are probably the creepiest vampires I have ever seen....the unusual design was really a nice take on making the vampires seem fresh and new.

Now, like I said...over all...it is a fun and enjoyable film....my only gripe was with the climax (I won't blow it for any of you waiting to see the film), but something about the climax just didn't sit well with me...other than that...two thumbs up!

Very nice review that I agree with. I thought the climax was neither bad nor good. I will probably go see this again in the theater because I liked it that much.
You are also right the vampires are awesome. It is just a well done horror movie, not perfect, but very good.

Out

Danno
10-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Very nice review that I agree with. I thought the climax was neither bad nor good. I will probably go see this again in the theater because I liked it that much.
You are also right the vampires are awesome. It is just a well done horror movie, not perfect, but very good.

Out

Great popcorn flick....I will definitely buy this when it comes out on DVD, I see myself watching this a few times, LOL!

I think the worst thing about the movie....is now I want those darn Gentle Giant statues based on the film. Sigh................

outlikealight
10-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Great popcorn flick....I will definitely buy this when it comes out on DVD, I see myself watching this a few times, LOL!

I think the worst thing about the movie....is now I want those darn Gentle Giant statues based on the film. Sigh................

RUH!! RENTLE RIANT STATUES!!

(Turns and sprints to the Gentle Giant section)

Dude you just cost me some more money!!
Thanks alot :stick: :thumbs2:

Out

bat_collector
10-20-2007, 01:40 AM
without giving away the ending for those who didn't read the graphic novel

is the movie ending like the graphic novel ending?

cma3
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I picked up the trade with this weeks haul and i just finished reading it in one sitting.

wow.

first off, let me say that if you are into horror books and collect trades...this is a must have.

if you are truly thinking about reading this book before seeing the movie, but are considering seeing the movie before reading the book...get the book and read it first.

I've yet to read a trade that was more to the point and moved so fast that when you realize it, you are done. there is absolutely no filler in it. anything that resembles filler is actually a plot device.

the quality of the print, well lets just say that i own quite a few trades and the print quality of this softcover surpasses anything i own...and at U$17.99 - it better...and it does.

the art bothered me at first but i settled into templesmith's washes and child-like scratchiness very quickly. it also works as a plot device in my opinion that fits the storyline perfectly; by the 3rd page i was hooked.

also as a bonus, the back of the book includes the the entire script for the graphic novel. there is also a quick intro by clive barker.

I will be seeing the movie this movie either tonight or tomorrow. i got the wife hyped up for it as well.

cant wait.

boondocksaint
10-20-2007, 12:58 PM
looking foward to seeing this

wktf
10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
without giving away the ending for those who didn't read the graphic novel

is the movie ending like the graphic novel ending?

Yes, it is, as far as the main character's fate. It's slightly different as far as the vampire activity in the book vs. the film.

Hope that's vague enough without giving anything away.

boondocksaint
10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
damn you !!!!! you gave it all awaY!!!!!!!!

lol jk

wktf
10-20-2007, 01:16 PM
I picked up the trade with this weeks haul and i just finished reading it in one sitting.

wow.

first off, let me say that if you are into horror books and collect trades...this is a must have.

Totally agree. I reviewed the HC version of this book here on the forum in the comics section a while ago, and am going to reprise that review later this month for our October Horror Trade Reviews theme. :thumbs2:

snappahead
10-20-2007, 02:26 PM
I've been wanting to pick this up for a while, but I hate the art in it. I don't want that to stop me from reading a book, but man, I really don't like it. I'll have to try and borrow it from a friend or something.

wktf
10-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I've been wanting to pick this up for a while, but I hate the art in it. I don't want that to stop me from reading a book, but man, I really don't like it. I'll have to try and borrow it from a friend or something.

snappa, my son had the same reaction. I bought the slipcase HC for him and he absolutely loved the story but hated the art.

Jack8022
10-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm hoping to see it this week one night. It looks pretty good.

snappahead
10-20-2007, 04:38 PM
snappa, my son had the same reaction. I bought the slipcase HC for him and he absolutely loved the story but hated the art.

What are you tryin to say?!:mad: Hehe..yeah, I know I shouldn't let that stop me from reading it. Maybe I'll see the movie first and then check the book out. That way, the changes they made won't bug me as much.

Natrix
10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I thought this was a vampire movie?? :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071020/film_nm/boxoffice_dc;_ylt=An6c1BEM_XkF1wiG5spxpDAnHL8C

Guess you can't believe everything you read!

Somebody needs to do this :stick: to the writer of the article.

wktf
10-20-2007, 06:57 PM
I thought this was a vampire movie?? :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071020/film_nm/boxoffice_dc;_ylt=An6c1BEM_XkF1wiG5spxpDAnHL8C

Guess you can't believe everything you read!

Somebody needs to do this :stick: to the writer of the article.

Messed up, for sure. That, plus my understanding is the upcoming I Am Legend movie makes the monsters zombies instead of vampires as conceived in the original story.

AsOneDead
10-20-2007, 10:02 PM

wow really, I love the art in it, I think it's what makes the comic good and actually scary.

Alex655321
10-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Just came back from seeing it.

Not bad, much better than I thought it would be.

bruiser72
10-21-2007, 01:03 AM
I read the graphic novel a few years back, it is pretty much like that I think it was pretty well done, it sticks to the souce material all the way.

MONSTER
10-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Saw this today with the wife and absolutely loved it. The vampires were awesome and it was a great horror flick!!!

tuv1305
10-21-2007, 09:49 AM
What are you tryin to say?!:mad: Hehe..yeah, I know I shouldn't let that stop me from reading it. Maybe I'll see the movie first and then check the book out. That way, the changes they made won't bug me as much.

That's the route I went and recommend. I'm in the same boat...tried reading it a while back on the recommendation of a friend but hate the art about as much as I think I've ever hated art in a book. Having watched the movie, I was impressed enough to muscle on past it.

Black Cat
10-22-2007, 12:45 AM
while it's not scary, I will say that I did like this film a lot so I would recommend it

SirConor
10-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Thought this was perhaps the best horror flick I've seen since 28 Days Later. LOVED IT.

Collection King 13
10-22-2007, 09:05 AM
30 days of crap shouldve been the name of this flic... I didnt care for it at all... while the cgi and make up was good I just didnt care for it... ughh... I'm glad I saw it for free!

MiamiLoco
10-22-2007, 09:20 AM
30 days of crap shouldve been the name of this flic... I didnt care for it at all... while the cgi and make up was good I just didnt care for it... ughh... I'm glad I saw it for free!
Did you read the Graphic Novel?!

Collection King 13
10-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Did you read the Graphic Novel?!

no...

cougartrace
10-22-2007, 09:41 AM

quit sneaking your family into the theatres :stick:

Collection King 13
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
quit sneaking your family into the theatres :stick:

LOL!!! actually I had some passes...

TNovak
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Messed up, for sure. That, plus my understanding is the upcoming I Am Legend movie makes the monsters zombies instead of vampires as conceived in the original story.

The 1954 Richard Matheson novel "I am Legend" has already had two movies based on it. The first "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price in 1964 and the second "Omega Man" with Charleton Heston in 1971. Both are very good (IMO). The Omega Man version removes all the vampiristic characteristics of the dead except their aversion to sunlight.

The book is great and I think the new movie with modern effects unavailable to the previous two could be really good as well, but I agree, I wish they would have stuck to the novel RE vampires vs zombies :(

snappahead
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Just got back from seeing this. Meh. It was ok and had some decent moments I guess, but I thought it was fairly weak actually. Not good, not bad, just meh.

wktf
10-22-2007, 10:31 PM
The 1954 Richard Matheson novel "I am Legend" has already had two movies based on it. The first "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price in 1964 and the second "Omega Man" with Charleton Heston in 1971. Both are very good (IMO). The Omega Man version removes all the vampiristic characteristics of the dead except their aversion to sunlight.

The book is great and I think the new movie with modern effects unavailable to the previous two could be really good as well, but I agree, I wish they would have stuck to the novel RE vampires vs zombies :(

Yep, I'm well aware of the other two movies. In fact, I've got them on order from blockbuster.com for my son and I to watch together. He and I read the book together as a reading assignment for his class and hope to see these two earlier movies before the Will Smith version comes out.

TNovak
10-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Yep, I'm well aware of the other two movies. In fact, I've got them on order from blockbuster.com for my son and I to watch together. He and I read the book together as a reading assignment for his class and hope to see these two earlier movies before the Will Smith version comes out.

That's really cool. Only one of my sons shows any interest in sci fi whatsoever. Oh well. I like the V Price version best as far as movies go, but both are decent.

protector2814
10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I've read I am Legend at least half a dozen times, I just such a fan of this book. Am looking forward to the Will Smith version but I've read rumors that the pleague may be contained to just one city. Hope that isn't the case and they remain faithful to Matheson's book. Price's version came closest while Heston's version was just more exciting in that 70's style of film making.
Did you all know that Matheson also wrote The Incredible Shrinking Man which was later produced as an excellent film. He also wrote the classic Twilight Zone Ep. Nightmare at 30,000 Feet w/ Bill Shatner, he wrote the Zuni Warrior story in Karen Black's Trilogy of Terror. A bunch of Kolchak the Night Stakers..I could go on. The guy's a legend.

tigertank1225
10-25-2007, 09:31 PM

very creepy vampires yes indeed. but this one takes the creepy vamp of the year award home.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p184/tigertank1225/180px-Mrbarlow1.jpg

boondocksaint
10-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Saw this today with the wife and absolutely loved it. The vampires were awesome and it was a great horror flick!!!

agreed

Davidian
10-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Just back from seeing this. It was good, but one thing I really hated was how the "vampires" would screech and yell, it was SO annoying. Also, some of them looked like Pennywises' step children. lol Nice bits of gore though with a couple good actors.

Now to see Saw IV!

DRL
10-29-2007, 05:28 AM
just saw this and i liked it! some of the sickest looking vampires i've seen :buttrock: and i thought the screeching made them that much more creepier!

now to read the trades :)

William Paquet
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Saw this yesterday.

Some good mayhem in it and the look of the film was cool, but as a movie it sort of sucked.

Plot holes galore, very poor dialog, cliche`d characters. The vampires were creepy in the shadows, but eventually just looked like Marilyn Manson posers with needle teeth. They seemed very impressed with their own movements, like they thought they were really scary.

Not a good movie, but definitely some redeeming qualities for the gore hounds among us. But even the gore scenes were that herky-jerky-digi-clip 28 DAYS LATER style that is also now redundent. I think a better screenplay and a better director could have made the story a real gem.

Another Hollywood failure geared toward the MTV crowd.

HelloKinky
11-15-2007, 05:38 PM
I thought it was wasteful of the vamps to make their victims lose so much blood. It's like you know you can't get much blood around why be wasteful? Ration off the ppl! Even though it's like let's take this town down tonite then head to the next one tomorrow! I doubt they can honestly believe they'll have a town to eat each day.

William Paquet
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought it was wasteful of the vamps to make their victims lose so much blood. It's like you know you can't get much blood around why be wasteful? Ration off the ppl! Even though it's like let's take this town down tonite then head to the next one tomorrow! I doubt they can honestly believe they'll have a town to eat each day.

Totally agree.

It made no sense at all.

Were they feeding or just killing for fun?

Bad writing.

HelloKinky
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah I was confused about that too. Like are they actually eating them or just killing them? I hated that the most. Could have been something good instead it was like you said for the MTV generation.

joy_division
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
just got back from seeing it and really liked it. Loved the vamps!