PDA

View Full Version : Transformers HD DVD best 1st week HighDef seller

noseeb13
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Impressive numbers, 190,000 HD units in the first week.
But that pails in comparison to the 8.3 million DVDs sold.

Press Release:
DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures’ Megahit TRANSFORMERS Invades Stores to Become This Year’s Top-Selling DVD and the Best-Selling High Definition Title Day One and Week One for Either Format

From Director Michael Bay and Executive Producer Steven Spielberg, In Association With Hasbro, Record-Setting DVD and HD DVD Sales Underscore TRANSFORMERS’ Status As Franchise Of Inter-Galactic Proportions

HOLLYWOOD (BUSINESS WIRE)-- The blockbuster hit from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures, TRANSFORMERS, is the year’s top-selling week one DVD with North American sales reaching 8.3 million units since the title’s debut on October 16, it was announced today by Paramount Home Entertainment. The biggest original film of the year from director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg, in association with Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is also the best-selling DVD day one for the year with over 4.5 million units sold on Tuesday. Additionally, the smash hit has exploded into the high definition market, selling over 100,000 HD DVDs its first day of release, rocketing past previous releases to become the best-selling day one high definition title on either format since their inceptions. TRANSFORMERS has sold over 190,000 HD DVDs in its first week making it the fastest and best-selling week one release on either high definition format as well as the best selling HD DVD ever. The TRANSFORMERS DVD is also the top-selling October DVD release in the history of the home entertainment industry.

“The performance of the TRANSFORMERS DVD and HD DVD has demonstrated the phenomenal success of this global franchise,” said Kelley Avery, president, Worldwide Home Entertainment, Paramount Pictures. “We’re happy to be kicking off the fourth quarter with a title that clearly shows home entertainment releases are still an event that drives consumers into stores—which is a win for both content providers and retailers.” Earning over $700 million at the global box office, the live-action feature film TRANSFORMERS is the latest success in a worldwide franchise that has emerged as one of the most successful properties in action figure history, spawning numerous television series and comic books and a wealth of toys, games and other licensed merchandise. In 2007, TRANSFORMERS has become one of the hottest properties for boys in a variety of categories, including toys, publishing, video games, apparel and back-to-school. Hasbro’s licensing arm, HPG, has signed more than 250 licensees in 70 countries around the world.

The first live-action film based on the enduringly popular “ROBOTS IN DISGUISE”, TRANSFORMERS features the ultimate battle between good and evil, as the peace-loving AUTOBOTS seek to protect humanity from the evil forces of the DECEPTICONS. The TRANSFORMERS Special Edition two-disc DVD and HD DVD sets provide an incredible experience with an arsenal of bonus material that delivers excitement and fun for long-time fans, as well as for viewers who are new to the TRANSFORMERS universe. Further, the HD DVD includes a host of highly advanced web-enabled features that will continue to roll-out through the rest of the year.

From http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/pr_paramounttransformers_week1.html

CocoPUFF
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
wow! Best selling title on BOTH formats?! Impressive!

Primal
10-22-2007, 09:49 PM
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/1571/verynicevy5.jpg

bat_collector
10-22-2007, 10:29 PM
probably soon to be broken by spiderman 3

snappahead
10-22-2007, 11:21 PM

You really think so? I thought it sucked. Then again, I know the name is huge, so you could be right.

noseeb13
10-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Probably, I wonder which will do better the single Blu Ray disc or the Trilogy box set?

In any case Transformers has done very well, especially being the first in a series.

CocoPUFF
10-23-2007, 03:08 AM
I just think its a good sign that the HD and blu Ray format is finally starting to catch on!

Primal
10-23-2007, 06:01 AM

Dont kid yourself Bats.

This only happened cuz it's the Transformers we're talking about. :buttrock:

thecallahan
10-23-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm sure the sales were helped by CC f'ing up their Blu-Ray sale and applying it to any HD-DVD/Blu-Ray in their system.

But I have mine! Just waiting for my 360 to get fixed and unfortunately, S3 will beat this. It's a horrible, horrible movie that sucked so much ass but it's Spider-Man and people are sheep... And yes I'm bitter. It could've been such a good movie too...

Bullseye
10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
You really think so? I thought it sucked. Then again, I know the name is huge, so you could be right.

Spider-man 3 made more money at the box office. But i think it would be hard to beat these numbers in the first week with the Spidey Trilogy also released this week. I already got my Trilogy Box set. Watched SM3 which has an awesome transfer.

Bullseye
10-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm sure the sales were helped by CC f'ing up their Blu-Ray sale and applying it to any HD-DVD/Blu-Ray in their system.

But I have mine! Just waiting for my 360 to get fixed and unfortunately, S3 will beat this. It's a horrible, horrible movie that sucked so much ass but it's Spider-Man and people are sheep... And yes I'm bitter. It could've been such a good movie too...

I wonder what the pre-orders where for Transformers on Blu Ray before Paramout gave BD the finger?

Trilogy
10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Impressive numbers.

Primal
10-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Bulls, what did you think of the movie?

Trilogy
10-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I wonder what the pre-orders where for Transformers on Blu Ray before Paramout gave BD the finger?

That would be interesting to know.

Bullseye
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Bulls, what did you think of the movie?

Transformers? I still have not seen it. **** Paramount.:thumbsdow Its a pity as i had it on order from amazon on BD.

bat_collector
10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm still upset I can't get transformers on Blu ray!

how much did 300 sell the first week?

bat_collector
10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Dont kid yourself Bats.

This only happened cuz it's the Transformers we're talking about. :buttrock:

and odn't get me wrong, spidey 3 sucked

but we are still ignoring the fact that transformers sold so much more on dvd. it ain't going anywhere anytime soon, folks.

MiamiLoco
10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
and odn't get me wrong, spidey 3 sucked

WHAT?!! dude, is this the same guy that after watching Spider-Man 3, called me up and said he liked it?!! WHAT?!! What's next? you like girls? hehe

bat_collector
10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
WHAT?!! dude, is this the same guy that after watching Spider-Man 3, called me up and said he liked it?!! WHAT?!! What's next? you like girls? hehe

I hate your guts loco

I really do

noseeb13
10-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Spider-man 3 made more money at the box office. But i think it would be hard to beat these numbers in the first week with the Spidey Trilogy also released this week. I already got my Trilogy Box set. Watched SM3 which has an awesome transfer.

How did you get the trilogy set so soon?
Its not released until the end of the month. I'm jealous.

Bullseye
10-23-2007, 01:56 PM

amazon.co.uk. Not sure why we got ours first as its normally the other way round. I am disappointed that SM1 and SM2 do not have PCM though. That was lazy on Sonys behalf.

Trilogy
10-23-2007, 02:32 PM
amazon.co.uk. Not sure why we got ours first as its normally the other way round. I am disappointed that SM1 and SM2 do not have PCM though. That was lazy on Sonys behalf.

I was also disappointed that Sony neglected to include PCM on the first two, but the Dolby True HD tracks are pretty sweet.

noseeb13
10-23-2007, 02:33 PM

What audio is featured on 1&2?
Does it sound good still?

Trilogy
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
What audio is featured on 1&2?
Does it sound good still?

Dolby True HD has been included on the first two movies. The third has both Dolby True HD and PCM audio.

I was also disappointed that Sony neglected to include PCM on the first two, but the Dolby True HD tracks are pretty sweet.

Gruson
10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Transformers was awesome on HD DVD. I enjoyed more this time than the first viewing (and I loved it then).

Great transfer and sound.

Looking foward to part 2 for sure.

DSET
10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
wow impressive sales #s
I wonder if the total sales after a month or two will be the highest theres ever been?
excluding wat isnt out as yet, pirates 3 spidey 3, rattatouille ,
-bourne
-harry potters

its good for HD, they really need this to be a bigtime seller
they dont have much else to look forward to ATM besides Bourne ultimatum, which IMO wont sell as much.

noseeb13
10-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Dolby True HD has been included on the first two movies. The third has both Dolby True HD and PCM audio.

Oops, I was writing as you were responding, my bad :stick:

snappahead
10-23-2007, 05:31 PM

All Sony employees get stuff like that early.

Bullseye
10-23-2007, 05:40 PM

LOL I'm sure you got your copy of Transformers before they hit the shelves Mr. Microsoft:thumbs2:

Trilogy
10-23-2007, 05:51 PM

:laugh:

snappahead
10-23-2007, 06:02 PM
LOL I'm sure you got your copy of Transformers before they hit the shelves Mr. Microsoft:thumbs2:

Nope..the bastards are late, but I know I'll get mine WAY before you get yours LOL.

The General
10-23-2007, 07:18 PM

It's irrelevant now.

My guess is that Blu Ray had a 2:1 sales advantage.:peoples:

Trilogy
10-24-2007, 02:44 AM
It's irrelevant now.

My guess is that Blu Ray had a 2:1 sales advantage.:peoples:

Sounds about right. lol

cougartrace
10-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Sounds about right. lol

No offense to anyone, but these play words of war over BD and HD cracks me up. Unfortunately, the only ones that are laughing are Sony, HP, Microsoft,etc.

They have worked over the consumer again...

noseeb13
10-24-2007, 10:35 AM
No offense to anyone, but these play words of war over BD and HD cracks me up. Unfortunately, the only ones that are laughing are Sony, HP, Microsoft,etc.

Actually I don't think Sony is laughing, if this format fails they could be in serious trouble. They are already panicking over the fact the PS3 is not selling.

CocoPUFF
10-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually I don't think Sony is laughing, if this format fails they could be in serious trouble. They are already panicking over the fact the PS3 is not selling.

I think the PS3 will actually do quite well this christmas season. With the Spm3 Package, this will definately help. I don't see either of these formats phasing out at all. Eventually, dual players will have to be more affordable.

The General
10-24-2007, 11:02 AM

None taken :thumbs2: And your right those guys are laughing all the way to the bank.

Bullseye
10-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Actually the PS3 has been selling similar numbers to the XBox on a month by month basis when compared with the XBox release figures. I am sure the PS3 will succeed as its biggest rival is actually the PS2.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/80GB-...ii-68816.shtml

PS3 First-Year Sales On Par With Xbox 360's
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2025.html
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/ps3360chart_01.jpg

snappahead
10-24-2007, 04:00 PM

I agree. The format war hurts everyone except the company that wins. I hate this thing. I just really enjoy giving Bulls a hard time.

noseeb13
10-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Actually the PS3 has been selling similar numbers to the XBox on a month by month basis when compared with the XBox release figures. I am sure the PS3 will succeed as its biggest rival is actually the PS2.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/80GB-...ii-68816.shtml

PS3 First-Year Sales On Par With Xbox 360's
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/2025.html
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/rjbreslin/ps3360chart_01.jpg

These figures are misleading because of software support. The PS3 is still very much behind in content, especially AAA exclusive content.
Add in the fact that every two months there seems to be a new price point/version of the PS3. Sony needs to start moving software and accessories, they lose money on console sales and with the way they are doing business with all these lower price points they are going to lose their early adopter support.

Also, despite what everyone thinks about the 360 it is a huge failure for Microsoft financially. Last year alone it lost the company $2 billion, yes that is billion. Microsoft can handle that kind of punishment, Sony cannot.

Bullseye
10-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry i thought we are talking about PS3 units.

I would imagine 2008 will be an important year for the PS3 and its games. I believe there is quite a few exclusives coming out before Christmas.

noseeb13
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry i thought we are talking about PS3 units.

I would imagine 2008 will be an important year for the PS3 and its games. I believe there is quite a few exclusives coming out before Christmas.

Well the chart shows hardware sales, so you were correct. But really the game companies do not care about the number of systems they have out there, I know that seems weird. The thing is they lose money on each hardware unit sold, they really care about software attachment rates and revenue generated by accessories. Unless you are Nintendo, who is making money on the Wii.

Problem with PS3 support is its expensive to develop for, Sony charges hefty fees to release a game on their platforms, then Microsoft comes along and makes easy dev kits and cuts huge deals on games, which includes covering some of the cost of development depending on the game and developer. So a lot of developers are supporting Microsoft for exclusives because they are cheaper than Sony.

snappahead
10-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I'd read somewhere recently that MS has just officially started turning a profit on the 360 units being sold. The profit margin is probably tiny, but if they're actually gaining anything from hardware, that's a big plus for them. Nintendo's the one laughing at the moment cause they've been making a profit from day one, but the Wii third party developers aren't laughing. Games are selling terribly on the Wii. Not sure how they're doing on the PS3.

Bullseye
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
The Wii is an amazing console for Nintendo for sure.

noseeb13
10-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Sony issued this today.

Its computer division however, still struggles to show good numbers. They have sold the Playstation 3 with loss and sold less than expected. A quarterly loss of ¥96.7 billion ($845 million) showed they have a long way before they will make any money. The games unit, which recently announced a price cut for the PS3, won't be profitable until the next business year ending March 2009, it said.