PDA

View Full Version : So did anyone get HD DVD players at Wal-Mart today?

MONSTER
11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I was able to get 3 without any problem. I got to Wal-Mart about 10 minutes before 8 and there were only 6 people waiting for them.

IronFist
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Three!? You opening up an electronics store? ;)

I didn't go to Wal-Mart today, so I didn't get one (obviously), but this seemed the best place to ask this: Was it only the 12 Monkeys, Big Lebowski and Blood Diamond HDDVDs that were on sale?

MONSTER
11-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Three!? You opening up an electronics store? ;)

I didn't go to Wal-Mart today, so I didn't get one (obviously), but this seemed the best place to ask this: Was it only the 12 Monkeys, Big Lebowski and Blood Diamond HDDVDs that were on sale?

lol!

I bought 2 for the house and I'm going to give the other one to my parents for Christmas. I didn't bother waiting to see what movies were on sale.

cougartrace
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
I went to two walmarts. Both were sold out of the players and the HD Movies that were on sale :banghead:

cougartrace
11-02-2007, 01:31 PM
I was able to get 3 without any problem. I got to Wal-Mart about 10 minutes before 8 and there were only 6 people waiting for them.

wow you could only buy one down here

Trilogy
11-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Nice going monster.

ashley76
11-02-2007, 02:06 PM
There are two left of 12 at my Wal-mart right now... I didn't buy one... I figured I would let other people enjoy the HD player... I have two already...

The Batman Professor
11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I went to the WalMart at 8:00 and snagged one. Even if it ends up being the "next Betamax," I've got BATMAN BEGINS to enjoy in hi-def. As a bonus, anyone who bought one gets 5 hd-dvd's with a mail-in form. The choices are limited, but Carpenter's THE THING makes it all worthwhile for me.

glassdancer
11-02-2007, 02:32 PM
wow you could only buy one down here

that's cause they're limiting it now for one per household thanks to Monster...:thumbs2:

IronFist
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I've got BATMAN BEGINS to enjoy in hi-def.

Ooo! No one's been able to answer my question yet: Was Batman Begins marked down to $15 for today, or was it only 12 Monkeys, Big Lebowski and Blood Diamonds?

Sniper
11-02-2007, 02:35 PM
NONE HAD TO WORK!

Collection King 13
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
They're a bunch on eBay... :laugh: Damn Flippers... :D and no I didnt get one...

The Batman Professor
11-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Ooo! No one's been able to answer my question yet: Was Batman Begins marked down to $15 for today, or was it only 12 Monkeys, Big Lebowski and Blood Diamonds?

$18.95 at my Wally. Still pretty cheap.

cougartrace
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
wow there are a bunch on ebay now..effin scalpers :stick:

noseeb13
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
The Wal Mart on my way to work apparently opened at 7 and sold the players then, I got there at 7:45 =(
So much for sticking to the 8am to 11am sales window.

MONSTER
11-02-2007, 02:55 PM
that's cause they're limiting it now for one per household thanks to Monster...:thumbs2:

Actually they were limited to 1 per person when I went. I took a friend with me and we each bought one. Then I went back in and grabbed another.

There was still about 10-12 left after that.

DSET
11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I've got BATMAN BEGINS to enjoy in hi-def.

The only reason I have a 360 HDDVD add on:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

glassdancer
11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Actually they were limited to 1 per person when I went. I took a friend with me and we each bought one. Then I went back in and grabbed another.

There was still about 10-12 left after that.

I'm just joshin' ya, brother....gotta rag on a fellow southern Californian.....!!!!:thumbs2:

Cheers!

-GD.

snappahead
11-02-2007, 03:31 PM
The only reason I have a 360 HDDVD add on:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

That's hardcore. You must love that movie.

IronFist
11-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Just got back from WM. Obviously, it was a longshot, but I came away with nothing.

And so, I sink back into HD/BD lurk mode and wait for the next spectacular offer to tempt me into picking something up.

Closetnerd
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Went to Wal Mart at 945 and I was told they sold out about an hour before then. I should have tried harder to get there earlier. Oh well.......

CocoPUFF
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I haven't even checked here. I should get one for the bedroom...although I doubt there are any left.

MONSTER
11-02-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm just joshin' ya, brother....gotta rag on a fellow southern Californian.....!!!!:thumbs2:

Cheers!

-GD.

I didn't take offense. Just letting everyone know how I got by the 1 per person. :thumbs2:

Bullseye
11-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Interesting thread on the dates those players were produced. Some of them are almost 12 month old.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=23791

noseeb13
11-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Interesting thread on the dates those players were produced. Some of them are almost 12 month old.

Any way to steal HD DVDs thunder huh? :tounge:

Bullseye
11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Any way to steal HD DVDs thunder huh? :tounge:

This was posted by someone who bought one lol.

noseeb13
11-02-2007, 11:54 PM

They may be old but at least they are still up to spec. Blu Ray camp won't be able to sell year old players once they update to the new requirements.:D

Haha, see how I turned that around:p

Red X
11-03-2007, 02:06 AM
I went to the WalMart at 8:00 and snagged one. Even if it ends up being the "next Betamax," I've got BATMAN BEGINS to enjoy in hi-def. As a bonus, anyone who bought one gets 5 hd-dvd's with a mail-in form. The choices are limited, but Carpenter's THE THING makes it all worthwhile for me.

I saw Begins was coming out on Blu-ray though...

Bullseye
11-03-2007, 07:01 AM
They may be old but at least they are still up to spec. Blu Ray camp won't be able to sell year old players once they update to the new requirements.:D

Haha, see how I turned that around:p

If there are enough people buying 1080i players there will be enough buying pre-P1.0 players too lol.

ashley76
11-03-2007, 08:02 AM
1080i doesn't affect the functionality of HD-DVD disks. 1.0 will affect the funcionality of all new Blu Disks...

Davidian
11-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Was that an in store thing only? I didn't go, I figured I'd check their website, but I didn't see anything on there.

Davidian
11-03-2007, 09:02 AM
1080i doesn't affect the functionality of HD-DVD disks. 1.0 will affect the funcionality of all new Blu Disks...

So does that mean if you have a 1080i TV and buy a 1080p DVD player, everything will be alright? I believe my 62" is 1080i, it's a couple years old.

Wooktroop
11-03-2007, 09:11 AM
i picked up 4 yesterday for gifts and a few movies
good sale

Zurbaran1
11-03-2007, 09:22 AM
So does that mean if you have a 1080i TV and buy a 1080p DVD player, everything will be alright? I believe my 62" is 1080i, it's a couple years old.

Yes, you will be fine, you just won't get 1080p our of your DVD but in all honestly that will hardly make a difference and it's something you won't even notice.

The Batman Professor
11-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I saw Begins was coming out on Blu-ray though...

It was announced, and clips have been part of Blu-Ray demo discs, but Warners won't release it till Blu-Ray irons out their PIP commentary problems. Rumor is that it won't be released for quite some time, as Warner Bros. is re-evaluating their committment to Blu-Ray. Even though they sold more "300" Blu-Ray discs than HD-DVD, their profit was higher on the HD-DVD discs. This format war is really hurting adoption, and despite what the Blu camp is saying, it's far from over. Unfortunately there may never be a winner, and both formats will plod along as "niche" products for enthusiasts only, like Laserdisc was back in the day. We're still a long way from seeing average consumers embrace HD. Look at the numbers:

190,000 Transformers HD-DVD sales for the first week

4,800,000 Transformers DVD sales for the first week

Bullseye
11-03-2007, 01:39 PM
It was announced, and clips have been part of Blu-Ray demo discs, but Warners won't release it till Blu-Ray irons out their PIP commentary problems. Rumor is that it won't be released for quite some time, as Warner Bros. is re-evaluating their committment to Blu-Ray. Even though they sold more "300" Blu-Ray discs than HD-DVD, their profit was higher on the HD-DVD discs. This format war is really hurting adoption, and despite what the Blu camp is saying, it's far from over. Unfortunately there may never be a winner, and both formats will plod along as "niche" products for enthusiasts only, like Laserdisc was back in the day. We're still a long way from seeing average consumers embrace HD. Look at the numbers:

190,000 Transformers HD-DVD sales for the first week

4,800,000 Transformers DVD sales for the first week

According to Neilsen figures it was closer to 100,000. Also where are you facts on higher profits on HDDVD? Did WB release disc to profit ratios

The Batman Professor
11-03-2007, 02:33 PM
According to Neilsen figures it was closer to 100,000. Also where are you facts on higher profits on HDDVD? Did WB release disc to profit ratios

Brother Bullseye, I know you're all about Blu-Ray, but both sides are guilty of hubris for not coming together on a unified format. I'll end up with both by Christmas, and remain format neutral, only buying "must-have" titles till a clear winner emerges. But Sony and Toshiba/Microsoft must consider this: I've always been an early adopter (spent $750 on my first DVD player,) but I'm taking my sweet time on this one. If there were a unified format, I would normally have 25-50 titles on HD by year's end, but with things going as they are, I'll probably have about 10. That's the part neither HD group wants to deal with - sluggish adoption rates for true videophiles. PS3 and XBox doesn't mean squat here, because no true videophile is going to use a game platform as the centerpiece of their Home Theater rack.

As for my stats, Blu-Ray discs cost approx. $5 each to manufacture, while HD-DVD cost approx. $1.50 each. Profit margin is clearly higher on HD-DVD. Also the yield rate is much lower on Blu-Ray, with many discs not passing QC. Warners is looking at the bottom line, which gives HD-DVD the edge. Conumers are looking at picture and sound quality, which is really a toss-up. You can go on and on about storage capicity, codec, and bitrate charts, but what sells people on a new technology is the showroom experience. Yesterday I was in Circuit City and I watched about 20 minutes of Spider-Man 3 and 20 minutes of King Kong, both on a 1080p Panasonic 50" plasma. There was no decernable difference in quality, PERIOD. This could easily turn into Betamax all over again for Sony.

Bullseye
11-03-2007, 02:45 PM
The bottom line is WB titles are selling more on BD, 300 being their biggest seller.

I see alot of Facts "K-Mart W-Mart" going exclusive only for them to have to publically state they are neutral. Toshiba basically lying and then people believing it.

"Kmart Not Exclusively Supporting HD-DVD Format

Statement from Jonathan Magasanik, Vice President and General Merchandise Manager, Home Electronics, Sears Holdings

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Nov. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- There have been numerous statements in the media today, attributed to Toshiba, indicating exclusive support for the HD-DVD format in Kmart stores. These statements are false. Kmart intends to support both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray platforms, and has no plans to support either platform exclusively.

About Kmart

Kmart, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sears Holdings Corporation (Nasdaq: SHLD), is a mass merchandising company that offers customers quality products through a portfolio of exclusive brands that include Jaclyn Smith, Joe Boxer, Martha Stewart Everyday and Route 66. For more information visit the company's website at http://www.kmart.com or the Sears Holdings Corporation website at http://www.searsholdings.com."

Those facts regarding product costs may or maynot be corrent but unless we see some independent confirmation then IMO they can not be trusted. Both sides are releasing facts and figures which should be taken with a pince of salt.

Bullseye
11-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Check out this independent assessment of the specs.

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6326&Itemid=11

Bullseye
11-03-2007, 02:50 PM
That's the part neither HD group wants to deal with - sluggish adoption rates for true videophiles. PS3 and XBox doesn't mean squat here, because no true videophile is going to use a game platform as the centerpiece of their Home Theater rack.

I agree with this completely. But what videophile is going to settle for a 1080i player either yet one format seems to think this is acceptable.

The Batman Professor
11-03-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree with this completely. But what videophile is going to settle for a 1080i player either yet one format seems to think this is acceptable.

1080i is fine for me till a winner emerges, which underlines my point about taking a cautious stance where normally I would be racing ahead. If HD-DVD looks to continue, I'll get a 1080p by spring '08, and move the old unit to our family room.

The Batman Professor
11-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Check out this independent assessment of the specs.

http://www.dvdfile.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6326&Itemid=11

Thanks for making my point for me. Looking at charts is not the same as looking at a movie. Charts make my head hurt; movies give me entertainment.

dvdfile is a well-known shill for Blu-Ray. They just can't bring themselves to give a "10" to a HD-DVD.

Bullseye
11-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Neither can Hifidigest for BD lol. I guess you have to have your cheerleeders.

Get your Panasonic soon and you will be happy.

BOSCO
11-03-2007, 03:26 PM
All these charts and so called facts will mean squat to 99% of people.Most people will just want good picture and good sound which either format can provide.

galactus
11-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Ok, ENOUGH already with the arguing about which stupid video format is better.