PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Doomed?

ashley76
11-03-2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9809950-7.html

I don't have a local Blockbuster but, I didn't realize they were in such dire straits...

patrickwm68
11-03-2007, 09:07 AM
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9809950-7.html

I don't have a local Blockbuster but, I didn't realize they were in such dire straits...

This is the greatest news ever :buttrock:

A couple years ago the bastards tried to hold the studios hostage and make it to where we couldn't buy new release DVD's the day they come out (anywhere), not until they had a few months to rent them out at their stores.

Burn in hell Blockbuster!

MONSTER
11-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't use Blockbuster or Hollywood Video anymore.

Netflix is the only way I rent.

Tattoo-S
11-03-2007, 09:23 AM
I have always been a small town girl. I always believed that supporting my local Video Entertainment shop was the way to go. BB was nearly $1.50 more per movie, and though I seldom had an occasion to be late in returns, I was always able to call up and ask if they were reserved movies or not, and if I could wait anther day to return, when it was possilbe I did at no charge. :) Franchises are the way of the furture :thumbsdow, but it's nice to see sometimes the little guy has a fighting chance. :o

snappahead
11-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I have to say I'm bummed about that. I get a lot of my movies there. They run a lot of good deals on previously viewed dvds. A third of my collection probably has the blockbuster sticker on them. I'm also old fashioned and like to go out and get my rentals.

Deathlok2001
11-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I hope HD-dvd wins just becuase I dislike SONY. Specifically, I do not like how SONY forces you to use proprietary add ons with their products. For example, you have to use SONY memory sticks in their digital camras.

The Batman Professor
11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Netflix has made renting DVD's hassle-free. Blockbuster put the Mom and Pop video stores out of business in the 80's and 90's, so it's just karma.

twinzs
11-03-2007, 02:02 PM
good! let em go down :thumbs2:

rilynil
11-03-2007, 02:14 PM
I haven't been in a Blockbuster store in at least 10 years.

Bartholomew
11-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Pfft no lost there. I tried their mail thing and it's slower than netflix. And then they raised the price. Now I just rent using redbox. I ran out of movies I wanted to see.

ANGRYCOMICMAN
11-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I don't use Blockbuster or Hollywood Video anymore.

Netflix is the only way I rent.

Ditto!

patrickwm68
11-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Blockbuster was always the big bully of the movie industry holding studios hostage by refusing to put their films out to rent until the studios met their demands.

If Blockbuster had their way we never would have been able to purchase the first Lord of the Rings DVD until months later when Blockbuster was done renting it out at their stores.

It's good to see a big bully finally get what's coming to them.

bat_collector
11-03-2007, 04:28 PM
i hate blockbuster and their aweful late return policy

xXx
11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
We just had a Hollywood Video sell what's left of their inventory for 90% off everything in the store, Workers said the store wasn't making any money, at that several stores were now closeing. Dosen't too good for the major chain video stores!

DSET
11-03-2007, 05:54 PM
MAaaaan
we dont have a netflix in canada

all we have is blockbusters and rogers videos
and rogers sucks
i pray blockbuster doesnt go under

Endless Wake
11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I was a store manager for a year back in 2001 and most of our stores were losing money. My district manager quit because he thought the company would be dead in 3 years.

Hellboy
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Blockbuster can burn for all I care. I agree with the previous statement that they have always been the big bully of the rental industry. They drove the smaller video store I worked at after high school out of business and have made a lot of money by deliberately creating confusing return policies and taking people to collections over late fees. I actually worked for them too and quit after two days. The shortest job I ever had. They were all about volume not customer service which is what actually makes working in a video store enjoyable. If they're doomed it sounds like karma has finally come around to bite them in the ass. :buttrock:

armitage
11-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Blockbuster used to screw me continuously.
Always charging late fees for movies that I had returned month previously on time. Funny how,
months would go by and I was renting with no fees, then all of a sudden I'd get a charge for a movie I rented along time ago. They did this all the time.
Then I just stopped going, screw them.
Netflix is the way to go.

Sniper
11-05-2007, 12:10 AM
I stopped renting from them years ago, During my college years I worked at a local video store on the weekends. I woeked there for years helping the guy out on the weekends. So then came Blockbuster and took a lot of his business. HE held on for another 5-6 years barely making it month to month. The end came last year where he could not compete with blockbuster and netflix so he threw in the towel.

Glad to see BLockbuster is getting a taste of their owm medicine..........

moon_knight1971
11-05-2007, 01:06 AM
As much as I dislike Blockbuster, I really dislike a company like Netflix NOT having proper competition. Rivals make sure everybody plays on a level playing field. I expect Netflix to increase their rates soon.

Darth Torment
11-05-2007, 01:24 AM
Glad to see Blockbuster burn.

I could see this coming, especially after the announcement a few years ago when Viacom parted ways with the company. That wasn't a good sign.

cougartrace
11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, I hate all of them.

Did you know the evil of Netflix?

If you rent more movies than what they consider normal, then you are put at the bottom of the wait list for new movies when they come out. It's their way of punishing you for increasing their postage rates and costs.

Collection King 13
11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I haven't rented a movie in years... and if I did want to rent one I would use my Cable's 'On Demand' feature and pay $5 to see it as many times as I want for 24 hours...

ANGRYCOMICMAN
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Well, I hate all of them.

Did you know the evil of Netflix?

If you rent more movies than what they consider normal, then you are put at the bottom of the wait list for new movies when they come out. It's their way of punishing you for increasing their postage rates and costs.

This is true.
I left them, went to BB for awhile.
Then Netflix sent me free rentals, so I went back.
I do 3 a week, in the summer I bump it up to 4.

DarthBane
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
This is true.
I left them, went to BB for awhile.
Then Netflix sent me free rentals, so I went back.
I do 3 a week, in the summer I bump it up to 4.

I have BlockBuster All access Pass and I think its better than netflix. They send them in the mail exactly like netflix and I could either mail them back or get free rentals from blockbuster. So I am not waiting for movies because while I return them at Blockbuster the new movies are being shipped.

The only thing netflix has is being able to download movies, but why would I want to watch movies on my computer. Unless I have Apple TV.