PDA

View Full Version : Cronenberg's Eastern Promises

AsOneDead
11-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Just got back from watching Eastern Promises and it was excellent. It's directed by David Cronenberg and stars Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts. Cronenberg continues with the same kind of feel from A history of violence, this time it's about the Russian mafia. Viggo does a fantastic job in this movie, he has a perfect Russian accent and also speaks Russian at times, and he has a great fight scene where he is nude in a bath house, he definately deserves to win an academy award for his performance. I'm surprised no one has posted a thread about this movie, it's really good, everyone should check it out.

BOSCO
11-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Seen this last week and i agree its an excellent movie.
VM played a great part aand the fight scene :buttrock:
I`ve yet to see A History of Violence,i hear its well recommended.

Justin
11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
This movie if fantastic! :thumbs2:
I really enjoyed A History of Violence but i beleive this is even better :)
I wont go into to much detail as i dont wan to give away the storyline

Andy Bergholtz
11-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I wasn't too big on History of Violence, but I loved Eastern Promises. Very well crafted film. And that fight scene with Viggo is one of the most intense few minutes of cinema I've experienced in YEARS. The entire audience was writhing around in their seats.

protector2814
11-05-2007, 12:30 PM
DamSam - This is one I really wanted to catch at the theatre, but I think it's gone around here. I heard the Director and Star on NPR a few weeks back and the film just sounds so compelling. I've heard the steam-room fight scene is cinematically amazing in what it doesn't show.

Darth Torment
11-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I really want to see this.
This actor and director are a good combo.
Liked History of Violence

bat_collector
11-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I gotta see this movie now!

AsOneDead
11-06-2007, 12:35 AM
DamSam - This is one I really wanted to catch at the theatre, but I think it's gone around here. I heard the Director and Star on NPR a few weeks back and the film just sounds so compelling. I've heard the steam-room fight scene is cinematically amazing in what it doesn't show.

I was expecting to see more of his "bits" since he is totally nude and fighting but the editing was very well done and you don't really see anything.

DSET
11-06-2007, 01:10 AM
history of violence was weird but good

Eastern promises was similarily weird but not as much, and it was much more intense and thrilling: I definately liked this movie better.

Dont expect it to be bigtime action mafia flick becuz it isnt, its still more a drama than anything else.

one of the years greatest films for sure

Babytoxie
07-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, better late than never. I finally saw this last night and loved it. Great story, great acting, just... great!!!

PIP
07-19-2008, 12:13 PM
I was expecting to see more of his "bits" since he is totally nude and fighting but the editing was very well done and you don't really see anything.

perhaps he doesn't have much to see :laugh:

PIP
07-19-2008, 12:15 PM
but on another note, i think Cronenberg has found his main leading man, and i would pretty much enjoy anything they did, and i for one (as a lover of Cronenberg's films of old) am glad he is getting the recognition he fully deserves as one of the best directors and storytellers of modern times

PIP
07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
and ASD i remember talking about this on here before and i really tried to find it just so i could say to you 'there is already a post about this' but damn it i couldn't find it, must have been about something else and meandered into Cronenberg territory

Sledge Hammer!
07-19-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure it was in the horror movie elimination game that Cronenberg came up as a subject of discussion, while I tried to make sure that Videodrome didn't die... :laugh:

DSET
07-19-2008, 12:24 PM
damnit where is news for sequels
I wannaa Seee Em!!!

PIP
07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it was in the horror movie elimination game that Cronenberg came up as a subject of discussion, while I tried to make sure that Videodrome didn't die... :laugh:

Sledge, don't mention that horror movie thread travesty :bawling:

ratchet
07-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I absolutely LOVED this movie.

I loved history of violence as well - but EP was just awesome!

Side note - the special features contain a scene (somewhere) of Ed Harris suggesting that he pull a gun from his blown away stomach in the dream sequence. Cronenberg says - well, I've already done that - so I'd be stealing from myself, which I'm not above)

I thought that was hilarious

biglebowski9999
07-20-2008, 01:13 AM
I forgot all about this movie. Great film.

AsOneDead
07-20-2008, 04:43 AM
and ASD i remember talking about this on here before and i really tried to find it just so i could say to you 'there is already a post about this' but damn it i couldn't find it, must have been about something else and meandered into Cronenberg territory

lol, I never make that mistake. ;)