PDA

View Full Version : Would I like Heroes?

Sam Wilson
11-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Yo,

most of you know my tastes/personality (read the reviews), so I'm askin, do you think I would like the show heroes? I just ordered the HD dvd's (got 'em on the cheap).

Just wonderin'. Word.

Sammy

boondocksaint
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
i dont like it...very boring IMO,,,but who knows sammy alot of people like it...hope you do my bro!

galactus
11-06-2007, 07:52 PM
I tried to watch it week to week with commercials, couldn't do it. Its too slow (boring, a la Booney) that way. I ended up watching the first season on DVD and enjoyed it a lot. Its not up there with Battlestar Galactica IMO, but worth watching.

rilynil
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
The first season was great, but the finale was more than a bit underwhelming. The second season doesn't seem to have the same fire as the first season, in my opinion. :)

boondocksaint
11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
sammy you wanna watch a GREAT series...DEXTER!

madjazz
11-06-2007, 07:59 PM
I've been digging Heroes, and yes, Sammy, I think you will also be digging it.

Sam Wilson
11-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I've been digging Heroes, and yes, Sammy, I think you will also be digging it.

hmm. Comicswise I'm closest to you mark, so word. Thanks fellas...

Zurbaran1
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
The first season was great although the ending was a bit of a let down. The second season has been somwhat disappointing but perhaps it is turning around. Yesterday's episode was excellent! It's worth investing the time to watch.

CocoPUFF
11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
sammy you wanna watch a GREAT series...DEXTER!

is this out on DVD yet?

Andy Bergholtz
11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
The first season was great although the ending was a bit of a let down. The second season has been somwhat disappointing but perhaps it is turning around. Yesterday's episode was excellent! It's worth investing the time to watch.

I share Zurb's sentiments to a "T". :thumbs2:

Zurbaran1
11-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I share Zurb's sentiments to a "T". :thumbs2:

The whole Japan thing with Hiro was a bit annoying and you kept wishing they would be done with it and bring him back. Well they did yesterday and surprisingly they ended that arc on a high note.

Meteor Man
11-07-2007, 02:06 AM
The first season was great, but the finale was more than a bit underwhelming. The second season doesn't seem to have the same fire as the first season, in my opinion. :)

Agreed...though maybe it's picking up a bit.

Brru
11-07-2007, 03:27 AM
I havent been paying attention to the second season. The commercials got worse in my opinion. I was a bit let down by Season 1's ending too.....like what was that about....

If you really want to know if you will like it then ask yourself if you liked the Futures Past storyline with Xmen. They based a lot of the first season around those comics. So much that I was actually thinking the end would have some sort of virus and segregation that the cheerleader held the answer to.

abarron
11-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I like it.
It took me a little while to get going and the first half of the series is kinda slow but stick with and it all comes together.
The series 1 finale was a little of a let down though

JDH
11-07-2007, 06:52 AM
In my view, Heroes is drastically overrated. It is pretty slow, with very few endearing or likeable characters, and far too little humour. However, it did get a bit better towards the end of season one, with one superb episode and a decent ending. Still waiting for season two here in the UK. Overall, the first season was okay TV, but nothing special - I'd watch a ton of shows before it. It is light years behind the work Whedon did with Buffy and Angel, nowhere near as compelling as 24, lacks the character depth and interest of Lost, and falls behind plenty of other current drama shows (Dexter, Supernatural) in my pecking order. I'd even rank it behind the always hit-and-miss Smallville. I'll watch it for free on TV (which is more than my wife will!) but no way I'd pay money for it.

Justin
11-07-2007, 07:58 AM
I love Heroes, I'm a bit of a junkie :thumbs2:

Kujo
11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
watched season one and loved it.... not seen any of season two yet

Andy Bergholtz
11-07-2007, 11:57 AM
The whole Japan thing with Hiro was a bit annoying and you kept wishing they would be done with it and bring him back. Well they did yesterday and surprisingly they ended that arc on a high note.

Yep, their portrayal of Kensei and "Feudal Japan" just seemed cartoonish, nothing about it captivated me in the least. Could have been SO much better.

SPOILER*

I also think the development of Kensei into uber-villain Adam Monroe was terribly unconvincing. I don't know if it's poor scripting or if he's just a bad actor, but I don't buy his transformation into 'evil badass' at all. Perhaps if they wouldn't have played the whole ancient-Japan thing as corny and tongue-in-cheek as they did, it would feel more appropriate. Is it just me?

Thankfully it looks like the monotony will end next week, the preview looks great!

Tattoo-S
11-07-2007, 12:02 PM

I was thinking the same things. It has a way of keeping your interest, but alas, finally things are happening. :thumbs2: Now, hopefully the don't get "Lost", and stay the course. This whole Highlander Adam thing is really going to play out, only questions I have are.....Was he in the Cargo Container, and Peter let him out, if so why would he chain Peter to the inside, and why was he in that attic/storage room, was he trapped in an antique trunk, like a genie or something. I keep watching the end of that episode, and it brings more questions, than it answers........I dig that! :thumbs2:

BTW, Sam.....Don't try to start watching in now, pick up the season 1 DVD set (Send me the cards :o) and wait for Season two to come out and catch up. You will enjoy it better, and the info will be fresh. ;)

Tattoo-S
11-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I love Heroes, I'm a bit of a junkie :thumbs2:

Well, two or three of us is enough to begin a support group.....:laugh: :thumbs2:

Teague
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Personally, I've enjoyed the pace so far. Yeah, it drags at times, but all in all, I like the payoffs. Definitely worth watching for comic book fans, if only for the shout-outs to favorite comic storylines.

Right now, it looks like Adam = Ozymandias. :thumbs2:

Jack8022
11-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I think it's been a bit slow to get moving this season but I missed this week's episode (have it on DVR though). I don't know if last season was better or if it just had the novelty of being something new. It's still a good show.

RichBamf
11-07-2007, 01:00 PM
IMO not as good as Prison Break or BSG, if that helps!

Teague
11-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I think it's been a bit slow to get moving this season but I missed this week's episode (have it on DVR though). I don't know if last season was better or if it just had the novelty of being something new. It's still a good show.

This last week's episode is the best of the season so far, IMHO. Make sure to watch it! :thumbs2:

risingstar
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I would have loooooooved this show as a kid growing up. While it still has many enjoyable moments, the show seems more geared for modern teens (not that there's anything at all wrong with that).

As adults, we tend to ask more questions and become more aware of plot hole and anti-climaxes. With Heroes, it gets in the way at times.

I agree with Galactus though... This is no Battlestar.

Kirbyfan
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
For all of you saying that Heroes is slow, or not good in any way, I'd like to know what you are watching on TV that is better.

I saw the original airing at SDCC last year and the room full of over 2000 comic book geeks were pretty much in the same opinion. It Rocks. I personally don't know anyone of the sci-fi/comic persuasion, that has tried it and not become totally hooked on it.

Gangleri
11-07-2007, 02:22 PM
This was in TVGuide.com today.....

"Question: Now that the writers are striking, we may be on limited scoop time. Doesn't that make you want to give us some Heroes scoop? — Sue

Ausiello: Actually, it makes me want to double my Prozac dosage. But giving you Heroes scoop comes in a very close second — and the scoop I'm about to give you is good. I'm hearing from multiple very reliable sources that when (and if) Heroes kicks off the second half of its season, it'll look very different from what was initially planned. Let's just say the complaints from fans and critics about the overabundance of new characters and weak overarching story have not fallen on deaf ears, and that changes are being made to return the show to its winning Season 1 formula. In related news, this would be even more exciting if there wasn't a friggin' strike going on!"

http://www.tvguide.com/ask-ausiello

-----

Good to know the TPTB of Heroes are listening....but I've always felt that Heroes' template was "The X-Men". The Cast of characters is Always Changing...only the rules that govern the "Universe" they live in stays the same. I have favorites on Heroes but if "They" get less screen time....to move a GOOD story along...I really don't mind (better story...not a new character with just a "snazy" FX power, though).

-----

Try Season 1 before jumping into Season 2.:)

rilynil
11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
That is EXCELLENT news, Gangleri! Heroes is just a bit flawed in its set-up this year.

endsongjen
11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
This last week's episode is the best of the season so far, IMHO. Make sure to watch it! :thumbs2:

i agree!!!:buttrock: about time 2

bat_collector
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
its an ok show, but there are sooo many better shows out there

Sam Wilson
11-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I was thinking the same things. It has a way of keeping your interest, but alas, finally things are happening. :thumbs2: Now, hopefully the don't get "Lost", and stay the course. This whole Highlander Adam thing is really going to play out, only questions I have are.....Was he in the Cargo Container, and Peter let him out, if so why would he chain Peter to the inside, and why was he in that attic/storage room, was he trapped in an antique trunk, like a genie or something. I keep watching the end of that episode, and it brings more questions, than it answers........I dig that! :thumbs2:

BTW, Sam.....Don't try to start watching in now, pick up the season 1 DVD set (Send me the cards :o) and wait for Season two to come out and catch up. You will enjoy it better, and the info will be fresh. ;)

tat, PM me your address again, I'll send you the cards, got my HD set yesterday on the cheap...

Justin
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, two or three of us is enough to begin a support group.....:laugh: :thumbs2:

Excellent, i do need help in this area! How do we make it happen? :laugh: