PDA

View Full Version : Who says extended warranties for electronics are bad?

Natrix
11-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Not I!!

I bought a Mitsubishi 62" DLP TV three years ago and got an extended warranty on it at Best Buy. I had an issue in the first year that needed a $1,200 part replaced at no cost. I have had a few minor issues since then and recently started having issues again. The lamp burnt out and was replaced at no cost but I had a few other issues that weren't right. After calling for service and having to have the same $1,200 part ordered again (back ordered with the ETA getting pushed back, waited two months), I asked for a replacement set. I got the OK today and picked out a brand spankin' new, top of the line 73" DLP set and only had to pay the difference between the original set cost (expensive since it was new technology) and the new set cost.

For less than $200, I have a massive upgrade! I get it next Friday!

Darth Torment
11-07-2007, 10:10 PM
How much did you pay for the first TV?

Hellboy
11-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Nice Natrix. Sounds like you made the right decision. Glad it worked out in your favor. :thumbs2:

Extended warranties on electronics are a must IMO if you're buying a video game system or a television. I've already had to replace my XBOX 360 due to a general hardware failure (I know join the club) and I also have an extended warranty on my 62" Mitsubishi DLP set should anything go wrong. I don't regret spending the extra $$ one bit.

Natrix
11-07-2007, 10:42 PM
DT, the original set I got retailed for $4,500 but I got it for $4 k with 24 month no financing.

Hellboy, what model is yours? The old one I had was a 62525 and it sounds like the issues I was having is pretty common for that model range after a couple of years.

Here is a link to the replacement set I picked out.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/18326/cid/5470/TelevisionDetails/WD73833.html

I did end up getting the extended warranty for this set as well, which cost more than twice as much as the upgrade.

Hellboy
11-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Hellboy, what model is yours? The old one I had was a 62525 and it sounds like the issues I was having is pretty common for that model range after a couple of years.

WD62725. No problems yet and I've had it for a few years now. I'd love to have that 73" though, very nice.

Natrix
11-07-2007, 11:18 PM
WD62725. No problems yet and I've had it for a few years now. I'd love to have that 73" though, very nice.

Keep an eye on the component inputs for diagonal interference lines, that model has the same issues as the 525's. That will be one of the signs that you have some issues.

Krypton Knight
11-08-2007, 01:49 AM
I got a Mitsubishi 52" DLP (52525) 3 years ago and also got a 4-year extended warranty. The only problem I've had has been one lamp burn out. So if anything goes wrong, I hope it's between now and next Oct. 31.

noseeb13
11-08-2007, 02:53 AM
I have heard that Costco will also do something similar although nothing needs to be "broken" to get a new item. A friend of mine is waiting for a new projector to come out next month so he can take back the one he bought 10 months ago and get the newer better one and just pay the difference.

I had a similar warranty experience with my Plasma, bought the floor model and the extended warranty about 3 weeks later the picture would flicker. Techs couldn't repair it so I got the same TV brand new, if I hadn't purchased the warranty they would have just given me the credit.

geto10
11-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Nice one Natrix! :)

Trilogy
11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
That was definitely worth the warranty.

bruceb
11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
..warranty on tv's are always a good investment...principally with todays new tech tv's....you never know what's going to happen...
..bought a 1080p panasonic plasma the other day and got the warranty also.. :cool: ...