PDA

View Full Version : Masking really small straight lines

Jesse321
11-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Okay guys .. here's another one of those "how the hell do you do this" questions.

I'm trying my hand at painting one of my Photons (pictured here)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Jesse321/Photon-3.jpg

How the heck do you paint masters mask something as small as the chest emblem on her costume so that the lines come out as straight as possible?

JadeGiant
11-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I would assume the edges would have to be brushed on with a very fine tipped brush ... anxious to see what the experts say

Jesse321
11-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm trying to avoid having brush strokes on the uniform if at all possible. :(

'Nuff
11-10-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm trying to avoid having brush strokes on the uniform if at all possible. :(

Thin your paint and use a new brush...:)

endsongjen
11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
yikes thats some detailing right there. some long tedious work with masking tape and a hobby knife. lol id do it by hand and floetrol cuz im too paranoid. but good luck jesse!!!! i know some of the masters will give u some pointers.

boondocksaint
11-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I would assume the edges would have to be brushed on with a very fine tipped brush ... anxious to see what the experts say

thats what id do ...id cut in with a brush along the edges try to mask off as much as possible and airbrush rest....any over spray can be wiped off with a damp qtip

Jack8022
11-12-2007, 01:22 PM
I typically use frisket cut into smaller strips to get real close to the sculpted lines and then use larger pieces over the small strips. I find it gives a nice clean edge (useful for all those darned aztec patterns on Star trek ships). It also has a low tack to it leaves any primer/paints it overlays in good shape.

moon_knight1971
11-13-2007, 03:46 AM
I use play doh or silly putty

kenny
11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
I would use 3" wide painters tape loosely apply over the top and heat it up with a hair dryer then push the tape down completely covering the emblem. When done, carefully cut along the edge of the emblem with x-acto knife, peal off center piece exposing emblem. Then paint and peal off the remains. It's a good way to make a cut in place stencil. Take your time cutting the piece out, it will work, be patient.:thumbs2:

salmonjim
11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I'd stick large pieces of masking tape over the emblem, use a tooth pick to push the tape into the grooves.

There are 2 ways to do this now:
1. Cut directly with a hobby knife (fresh blade), gently go through it several times....
2. If you are not confident with no 1, go through the line with a sharp pencil (2B and above) then transfer the tape to a cutting mat and cut there...

just remember to do it part by part and try to get the tape to cover the white parts as much as possible cause you can always paint darker colors over white. It won't leave brush marks as long as the areas are small...