PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting Assasins Creed?

rjb America
11-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Who's getting Assasins Creed this week:buttrock: . How fun do you think this game will be?

AsOneDead
11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Hell Yeah! :buttrock: But I can't play it until I get my HD TV, so it's just going to be sitting there :(
This game looks like it's going to be one to remember for a long long time and I heard that if you do all the missions and extra stuff in the game, it'll take 40 hours. Sounds good to me :thumbs2:

Red X
11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I plan on getting it sooner or later the futuristic plot theme sounds interesting.:)

Collection King 13
11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I plan on getting it.

Sgt Taz
11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Does a bear crap in the woods? :buttrock:

adee
11-10-2007, 11:10 PM
I have it reserved at EBgames. I've been waiting for this one for awhile. :buttrock:

Sam Wilson
11-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I have it on order for ps3...

Endless Wake
11-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I plan on getting it sooner or later the futuristic plot theme sounds interesting.:)Do you mean Mass Effect? Assasins Creed is set in 1191 AD during the Third Crusade.

rjb America
11-10-2007, 11:41 PM
what a month for video games, I'm getting Assasins Creed and Halo 3 this week, and next week Mass Effect. And in December I'm getting a Wii and Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and Resident Evil 4 for X-Mas. Plus I'm buying my wife Guitar Hero 3 for the holidays!!!

I'ts awesome to hear that Assasins Creed is 40 hours kick ass:buttrock:

MONSTER
11-10-2007, 11:42 PM
I want to get this and Conan.

boondocksaint
11-10-2007, 11:45 PM
I want to get this and Conan.

my boy got conan and said its awesome...hes lending it to me this week

just saw ac coming attractions on ultimate fighter and im getting it...looks awesome!

Endless Wake
11-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Does a bear crap in the woods? :buttrock:Nope! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjix47U9634

MONSTER
11-10-2007, 11:52 PM
my boy got conan and said its awesome...hes lending it to me this week

just saw ac coming attractions on ultimate fighter and im getting it...looks awesome!

I've heard that if you like God of War you will love Conan.

boondocksaint
11-10-2007, 11:53 PM
yup...he said its just like that

AsOneDead
11-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Do you mean Mass Effect? Assasins Creed is set in 1191 AD during the Third Crusade.

Assassins creed has a futuristic element to it.

rjb America
11-11-2007, 12:25 AM
I hated Conan storyline was horrible for a Conan game. I'm looking forward to the Conan MMO next year

Red X
11-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Do you mean Mass Effect? Assasins Creed is set in 1191 AD during the Third Crusade.

Assassins creed has a futuristic element to it.

I mean AC...

News has also circulated about a "sci-fi twist", due to information from developer interviews, and some effects visible in trailers of the game.

It is theorized that the historical setting may be a simulation, or perhaps some sort of genetic memory, for purposes of training or other gain, being undertaken by an unknown group in the present or near future.

During a trailer shown at E3, the screen would glitch and go fuzzy at times, and at one point where Altaïr is killed, the screen fades to black and then shows a head's up display with the words "computer offline" with a woman in a labcoat behind the display...and it will be apart of a trilogy where the 2nd or 3rd will be set in a futuristic setting.

This game is gorgeous:
http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gp_image/146308-7.jpg

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gp_image/146308-5.jpg

http://gamesnet.vo.llnwd.net/o1/gp_image/146308-8.jpg

MrYac
11-11-2007, 01:20 AM
It is theorized that the historical setting may be a simulation, or perhaps some sort of genetic memory, for purposes of training or other gain, being undertaken by an unknown group in the present or near future.

i sure as hell hope not, that makes an otherwise kick ass looking game sound incredibly lame and cliche

Red X
11-11-2007, 01:32 AM
i sure as hell hope not, that makes an otherwise kick ass looking game sound incredibly lame and cliche

Hey I don't make this stuf up for my health. Here's more from that article:

In an Xbox 360 gameplay demo of Assassin's Creed at X06, a screen appears with the words "memories /01" in the centre with "hard drive" on the left and "options" on the right after the character dies. Above "memories" it says "animus", Latin for "soul/life/spirit" (and where the word "animate" comes from) and under it are the words "access your genetic memory".

The word "shutdown" can be seen in the lower right-hand corner, and the outline of a person can be seen past the words, almost as if the person was standing over someone on their back, and the player can also see on the right-hand side a light bulb and a grate on the ceiling. Also, in the upper-left hand corner on the screenshot, it reads "in progress" so this may be something involved in the development.

SPOILER ALERT: This link contains the comic adpation to the game which shows you the very beginning of how Altair gets to the city:

http://news.filefront.com/assassins-creed-comic-reveals-plot-spoilers/

MrYac
11-11-2007, 01:37 AM
well thats a dissapointment, here i was hoping for what was promised, a really cool medevil romp through england, not some matrix garbage

Red X
11-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Video SPOILER alert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g86OhiMy50

It still sounds cool just not very original. That videos explains the entire premise of the game, it's pretty cool.

CocoPUFF
11-11-2007, 01:46 AM
will probably buy it later...too many damn games coming out right now

MrYac
11-11-2007, 01:48 AM
oh i'm sure it'll still be a fun game, just seems like a bait and switch to me

Red X
11-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I would have preferred a strictly midevil type game setting Prince of Persia was amazing...I don't think AC needed a super complex story set in the future, about generic memories and DNA and what not.

I'm tired of 3 types of games cliche:

Saving humanity from aliens.

Matrix like futuristic settings, that try to be overly complex.

Fuzzy mascots.

MrYac
11-11-2007, 02:07 AM
agreed on 2 of the 3....i loves me some fuzzy mascots;)

Red X
11-11-2007, 02:30 AM
agreed on 2 of the 3....i loves me some fuzzy mascots;)

Haha, there was a 4th pet peeve of mine with cliche, but it's last and it's slipping my mind right now.

boondocksaint
11-11-2007, 02:34 AM
will probably buy it later...too many damn games coming out right now

same here...army of 2 is coming out to and i heard thats going to be awesome!

Red X
11-11-2007, 02:42 AM

I hope so...EA has a habit of errr...how to say this politely, putting out sub par games.

First this week I'm getting Mario Galaxy and Uncharted. Next month Asassin's Creed and Haze.

boondocksaint
11-11-2007, 02:46 AM
the dude at gamestop said he played it and its the best game he ever played....how could he have played it? some kind of game convention or something?

twinzs
11-11-2007, 04:18 AM
the dude at gamestop said he played it and its the best game he ever played....how could he have played it? some kind of game convention or something?

for some big games they'll send them out early to make sure everyone has it. Most games just show up the day they're suppose to come out

AsOneDead
11-11-2007, 05:32 AM

That's delayed until march 2008.

AsOneDead
11-11-2007, 05:34 AM
Hey I don't make this stuf up for my health. Here's more from that article:

In an Xbox 360 gameplay demo of Assassin's Creed at X06, a screen appears with the words "memories /01" in the centre with "hard drive" on the left and "options" on the right after the character dies. Above "memories" it says "animus", Latin for "soul/life/spirit" (and where the word "animate" comes from) and under it are the words "access your genetic memory".

The word "shutdown" can be seen in the lower right-hand corner, and the outline of a person can be seen past the words, almost as if the person was standing over someone on their back, and the player can also see on the right-hand side a light bulb and a grate on the ceiling. Also, in the upper-left hand corner on the screenshot, it reads "in progress" so this may be something involved in the development.

SPOILER ALERT: This link contains the comic adpation to the game which shows you the very beginning of how Altair gets to the city:

http://news.filefront.com/assassins-creed-comic-reveals-plot-spoilers/

Stop ruining it.

Endless Wake
11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
During a trailer shown at E3, the screen would glitch and go fuzzy at times, and at one point where Altaïr is killed, the screen fades to black and then shows a head's up display with the words "computer offline" with a woman in a labcoat behind the display...and it will be apart of a trilogy where the 2nd or 3rd will be set in a futuristic setting.
Interesting...this should be a fun series.

Sgt Taz
11-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Nope! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjix47U9634
Hmm...ok then I'm not buying :laugh:

I like the sci-fi twist, sounds very promising :thumbs2:

Oh and I though Army of two would see a january release?

They're Statues!
11-11-2007, 01:38 PM
AC looks great but I was not a fan of the recent Prince of Persia games, the game play was just not for me, and I have heard that AC will play like PoP.

Juggernaut
11-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Is the Assassin's Creed on the PS3 the same as one the Xbox360 ?

abarron
11-11-2007, 05:10 PM
mine should be turning up arround the end of the week

Red X
11-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Stop ruining it.

How am I ruining it, if you've been following the game you would have known all this by now anyway.

And yes Assassin's Creed is on the PS3, guy that always asks if a game is on PS3.:peoples:

I don't think there's a PC version though.

blue_rogue
11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm interested in this game but, with Mass Effect coming out on the 20th, I'm not going to get it anytime soon.

Red X
11-11-2007, 07:43 PM
It sounds cool...Every one is giving it high scores across the board.:buttrock:

AsOneDead
11-11-2007, 09:42 PM
How am I ruining it, if you've been following the game you would have known all this by now anyway.

And yes Assassin's Creed is on the PS3, guy that always asks if a game is on PS3.:peoples:

I don't think there's a PC version though.

Most people know that there is just a futuristic element to it, but you're giving away what it's all about.

Yes, there is a PC version.

J Storm
11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
I sucks that I pre-ordered this game when my system is being repaired but still I can't wait til play.

HelloKinky
11-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I always thought the futuristic element too it was pretty kewl though.

Red X
11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Damn 1up.com gave it a 7.0 and IGN gave it a 7.7,
...looks like reviews are all over the place.

From IGN review:

"A bad story, repetitive gameplay elements, and poor AI all lead to one of the most disappointing games in recent memory. Assassin's Creed should have been one of the great games of this generation. Instead, it turned into just another action title."

Ouch.

Marvel
11-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Does this come out today or tomorrow?

HelloKinky
11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah the reviews are pretty mixed. And now I'm not so interested. Looks like I'll await the bargain bin for this one.

Red X
11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Since the reviews are only so so for the years most anticipated game, I'll just get Uncharted instead and wait for this to drop in price in about 2 or 3 years.:redface:

DSET
11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
i had such high hopes

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

DSET
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Most people know that there is just a futuristic element to it, but you're giving away what it's all about.

Yes, there is a PC version.

yea but its not out till next year

MONSTER
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Does this come out today or tomorrow?

I thought it came out today but I went to Best Buy and was told it comes out tomorrow.:banghead:

snappahead
11-13-2007, 07:59 PM
It depends on who you ask. Some love it (Gametrailers gave it a 9.1) and some don't. It's gonna be the case with alot of games.

I think Halo 3 was the years most anticipated game. After E3, people had started to worry about Assassin's Creed because of it's rough edges.

I was never all that interested in this one, but I need to play it to know for sure. Reviews are well and good, but try it out before you decide it's a disappointment.

Now, bring on Mass Effect!

Red X
11-13-2007, 08:18 PM
I thought it came out today but I went to Best Buy and was told it comes out tomorrow.:banghead:

Should be out today though...tuesdays are when the new releases hit. The date was set at the 13th yor BB must not have gotten a shipment in or lied?

AsOneDead
11-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm going to be pissed if this turns out to be crap.

Endless Wake
11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Should be out today though...tuesdays are when the new releases hit. The date was set at the 13th yor BB must not have gotten a shipment in or lied?Actually it is Wednesday. For some reason games have moved to new days of the week. Guitar Hero III came out on a Sunday of all days :confused:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/endlesswake/asscreed.jpg

Red X
11-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Insanity!?

I just checked and Uncharted was also moved back a day from the 19th to the 20th!?

noseeb13
11-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Actually it is Wednesday. For some reason games have moved to new days of the week. Guitar Hero III came out on a Sunday of all days :confused:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/endlesswake/asscreed.jpg

Games release on Tuesdays but unless they are a hot title they do not hit stores until Wednesday because of normal shipping. If it is going to be a hot title like Halo then they direct ship the titles to the individual stores, otherwise they go to a stores distribution center then out to stores.

CocoPUFF
11-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Damn 1up.com gave it a 7.0 and IGN gave it a 7.7,
...looks like reviews are all over the place.

From IGN review:

"A bad story, repetitive gameplay elements, and poor AI all lead to one of the most disappointing games in recent memory. Assassin's Creed should have been one of the great games of this generation. Instead, it turned into just another action title."

Ouch.

that DOES suck...:( too bad...I really wanted to hear good things about it before I drop 60 bucks on a game..

HelloKinky
11-14-2007, 02:31 PM
It depends on who you ask. Some love it (Gametrailers gave it a 9.1) and some don't. It's gonna be the case with alot of games.

I think Halo 3 was the years most anticipated game. After E3, people had started to worry about Assassin's Creed because of it's rough edges.

I was never all that interested in this one, but I need to play it to know for sure. Reviews are well and good, but try it out before you decide it's a disappointment.

Now, bring on Mass Effect!

Who honestly takes GameTrailers.com seriously?!
That's like saying you read Game Informer and even that has surprisingly gotten better over the years.

And while I agree I want to play to make sure still not gonna buy it to see if I like it. I'll play it somewhere else first.

Weird, Mario Galaxy was supposed to come out yesterday too, and I dunno if it did everywhere else but EB had it Monday and Toys R Us was supposed to get it yesterday and then they told me today! Such a drive for nothing!

snappahead
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
What makes Gametrailers opinion any less useful than anyone elses? They're all just one person's opinion. I don't see why the guy at GT or GI has a less valuable opinion than the guy at IGN or Gamespot. My point was simply that the scores were not bad across the board.

HelloKinky
11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
I know just saying some review sites seriously don't know what they're talking about same goes with magazines at times. Just like you listen to certain critics on movies and others you know just don't have a clue what they're talking about.

That said, Gamespot themselves gave this game a very high score, I suggest ppl go watch the video review. It's a surprise IGN gave it the score they did. But the amount of stuff you can do in the game looks great.

Red X
11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
I think Gamespot gets paid by microsoft...I swear.

AsOneDead
11-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Screw all their opinions, judge for yourself.

DSET
11-14-2007, 11:19 PM
the only reason im not too hyped to play this is not only because of the repetitive gameplay element.
But that its 10-15hours with a silly storyline, that eventually gets repetitive.
I might just put it on easy mode so it goes by quicker.
But 10-15hours is alot this christmas- break, theres so much else to play.

agreed
however i dont doubt what IGN has to say about the story, they are usually push-overs with storylines: for them to knock on this one, its bound to be crappy.

Brru
11-15-2007, 02:36 AM
I dont know I think its smart of them to have a storyline that is capable of doing a lot. So what it has a futuristic story tied to it, you deal with that for what...10 minutes of movie. All the rest of the game from what Ive heard is in the past. Who cares how you got there.

I would also like to ask. What the hell does everyone expect? How many movies/games that are the "most anticipated" are actually any good? Look at Halo. Small ass company makes the best FPS for its time. The company grows and they decide to make one game into two, add in some shiny objects, change up the environment a little, and bam you have Halo 2 and 3 right there.

I just think Assassins Creed has hyped itself into a corner.

abarron
11-15-2007, 06:38 AM
I hope this is gonna be good.
My copy shipped yesterday and i can't wait for it

HelloKinky
11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I think Gamespot gets paid by microsoft...I swear.

Haha I can believe that!

Uh yeah that makes sense. That's why I do my research from all over before I drop the cash that you might have plenty of to waste on whatever :)

I dont know I think its smart of them to have a storyline that is capable of doing a lot. So what it has a futuristic story tied to it, you deal with that for what...10 minutes of movie. All the rest of the game from what Ive heard is in the past. Who cares how you got there.

I would also like to ask. What the hell does everyone expect? How many movies/games that are the "most anticipated" are actually any good? Look at Halo. Small ass company makes the best FPS for its time. The company grows and they decide to make one game into two, add in some shiny objects, change up the environment a little, and bam you have Halo 2 and 3 right there.

I just think Assassins Creed has hyped itself into a corner.

What do you mean look at Halo? We expected it and it actually turned out great? Only complaint about the 2nd was the storyline other then that everything about the Halo series has been great.

Collection King 13
11-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Well My Laday just bought this for me... I cant wait to go home and play it tonight! :buttrock:

Brru
11-15-2007, 07:10 PM
What do you mean look at Halo? We expected it and it actually turned out great? Only complaint about the 2nd was the storyline other then that everything about the Halo series has been great.

Eh Im not saying the actual gameplay of the second was bad. I just hate when companies decide to make a really short version of the game so that they can cut it into several sequels for the money instead of pushing the envelope a little. It damaged the game in my mind.

rjb America
11-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I love Assasins Creed, I might be the only one but I like the storyline. Can't wait to get Mass Effect next week.

AsOneDead
11-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Uh yeah that makes sense. That's why I do my research from all over before I drop the cash that you might have plenty of to waste on whatever :)

Judging something solely on other peoples opinions is just stupid, not everyone likes the same thing. And there is something called a refund, you should try it out some time. :thumbs2:

Zurbaran1
11-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Reviews and the opinions of others should always be used as a guide. I was looking forward to this game then got a bit bummed by some of the less than stellar reviews folks have been tossing around. Then I came across this very interesting and intelligent read which appeared on http://www.penny-arcade.com/ I ordered the game as a result and am looking forward to it again:

I want to talk about Assassins Creed but first I need to get something out of the way. I have a lot to say about the game and I want to talk about some of the bad reviews it's getting but I want to make sure everyone understands I'm not saying this because of the comic we did for them. So I'm going to link you to an old set of news posts about Prince of Persia 2. Feel free to read those and come back if you like.

Now I'm going to tell you how advertising on PA works. Every other game site out there takes ads for whatever game they can get. It doesn't matter if it's a pile of crap, if the publisher pays for the spot IGN or Gamespot or whoever will run the ad. That's fine but that's not how we do it and the news posts you just read are part of the reason why.

We were huge fans of the first Prince of Persia game so when Ubi came to us and wanted to run ads for the second we said yes. We had no idea they were going to completely **** it over. So from then on we started demanding playable copies of games before we'd agree to advertising. No matter how early the build we tell the publishers that unless we can see it played in front of us or play it ourselves we won't run ads for it. Obviously a lot can still go wrong during development but we make the best decisions we can. We do not think of the ads you see on our page as ads. They are recommendations and we try extremely hard to insure that anything we put over there is worth your time. When Prince of Persia 2 came out and we saw that it was crap we said as much on the site. Ads for the game appeared right next to those news posts slamming it. Needless to say Ubi wasn't very happy and Robert got some angry phone calls but our loyalty is to our readers not the people paying the bills. We explained to Ubi that the reason our ads perform better than any other site out there is because our readers trust us and that means we have to admit when something we advertise doesn't turn out as good as we hoped. Obviously they understood because we're still advertising their games but like I said this isn't the way other sites operate. I actually give Ubi a lot of credit for not just telling us to **** off and buying more ads on IGN and Gamespy with the extra money.

I'm telling you all this because I want you to understand that if Assassins Creed actually was a 7.0 game I'd tell you. I also want you to know that when I tell you it's ****ing incredible I'm not bull****ting you because we're running ads for the game.

There are about four or five reviews of the game with scores in the low to mid 7's. I want to cover some of the common complaints these reviewers had in case anyone out there is worried about them.

Many of the reviews say that the ending is bad. Obviously I don't want to give away any spoilers but I will say that the final confrontation was exciting and gratifying. It was an extremely satisfying ending to this chapter of the game. Chapter is the important word here. This is a huge story, probably a trilogy at least. The game does end with a cliff hanger and it certainly sets up the rest of the arc but that's how the first part of any multi part story ends. If Star Wars had ended with Luke jumping into his X-Wing to go take on the Death Star that would be a ****ty ****ing ending. It doesn't though, Luke destroys it and then we get hints about what's in store for our heroes. I'm telling you right now Altair destroys his Death Star.

I also can't be 100% positive but I'm guessing that some of these reviewers didn't let the credits role. Again, I don't want to spoil anything but wait for the credits to end. Until reviewers start posting their Gamertags along with the review we'll never really be able to tell how much of a game they played. But I'd be willing to bet some of them are missing the "Visions of the Future" achievement. I'm not gonna say why but If you don't have this achievement you can't say jack **** about the ending.

I think the biggest complaint I saw was that the missions become repetitive and boring. I actually didn't understand this complaint at all until just the other day. I had gotten an early copy of the game just like everyone else in the media but I was just playing it for fun. I'd cracked into it over the weekend and when I got into the office on Monday I started seeing these negative reviews. When I saw the low scores I was actually really upset and I wanted to talk about the game here on the site. I wanted to tell everyone that these guys were full of ****. However, since so many of the complaints were based on the ending I wanted to beat it first so I was sure I wasn't missing anything. I attacked the game again but this time with the goal of beating it as fast as I could. I was determined to get a post up on Tuesday and I was pushing through the game as fast as I could. I went from finding every high perch in a district to only getting the ones I needed to advance the story. I stopped saving every citizen and avoided any unnecessary confrontations. The informer missions that I had really enjoyed before, I now avoided because I knew they took too long to complete. I did the bare minimum of missions to progress the story and anything that "hindered" my progress was frustrating. Monday night after skipping over another combat (something I used to really enjoy) I stopped myself. What the **** was I doing? I wasn't playing the game because I wanted to I was playing it because I had a deadline and I needed to beat it. I stopped immediately and decided I'd write about the game whenever I got around to beating it. I spent another day and a half with it and during that time I hunted for hidden flags and explored the cities again. I came in this morning and finally did beat it but I did it at my own pace and I enjoyed every part of it.

Imagine what an open ended sandbox title must look like to a reviewer especially right now. How many games do they have piling up on their desks? A game like Assassins creed isn't meant to be played under a deadline. You shouldn't be trying to beat it as fast as you can so you can move on to Mass Effect or Mario Galaxy. As soon as I gave myself a deadline all of a sudden I understood all their complaints. It was like a ****ing Escher painting. I had put myself in their shoes and suddenly the landscape flipped and I could see games from their perspective. In the end I wasn't angry at them for their bad reviews. I actually just felt bad for them.

-Gabe out

MrYac
11-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Judging something solely on other peoples opinions is just stupid, not everyone likes the same thing. And there is something called a refund, you should try it out some time. :thumbs2:

most places don't give refunds on games if you open it, least not the places i shop. but rentals are always a good idea

AsOneDead
11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
most places don't give refunds on games if you open it, least not the places i shop. but rentals are always a good idea

What about EB games?

MrYac
11-15-2007, 10:56 PM
i don't shop at EB much, but do they give full refunds on opened games?

AsOneDead
11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
They have a 7 day refund without any questions policy down here.

DSET
11-16-2007, 12:13 AM
wow intresting review Zurb

i still think 10-15hours is a long time for this type of game
but im leaning towards playing it this cristmas break and this review helped that.:thumbs2: :thumbs2: thanks

Brru
11-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Ive taken an open game back to best Buy. They dont have a problem with it...hell most of Halo3 games that my best buy got were opened. They "checked" them all cause of the scratched CD deal. I bought Assassins Creed and so far its fun as hell, but I havent been playing a lot. Its kind of Prince of Persia meets Need for Speed Underground. I know it sounds weird but I get a kick out of it so far.

HelloKinky
11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Doesn't Best Buy tell you you can only get the same game again?

Red X
11-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Doesn't Best Buy tell you you can only get the same game again?

Yes all opened movies, video games, and CDs...you MUST exchange for the same thing or just get your money back....Then I suppose you could go buy another game...that is if they give you your money back.

HelloKinky
11-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Yeah I mean I'd definitely take my money back if I could do that.

noseeb13
11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Reviews and the opinions of others should always be used as a guide. I was looking forward to this game then got a bit bummed by some of the less than stellar reviews folks have been tossing around. Then I came across this very interesting and intelligent read which appeared on http://www.penny-arcade.com/ I ordered the game as a result and am looking forward to it again:

I agree totally with his post.
I have dealt with game reviewers personally, both IGN and Gamespot.
Let me tell you this, not all the reviewers are good gamers. Most of them suck, they have enough skill to partially get by, but it is basically their writing ability that gets them the job.
Add in deadlines and you have a recipe for a potentially good game getting a bad review because the reviewer has to take too long to get used to the game or they can't get far enough into it to appreciate some of its features.

HelloKinky
11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Personally like you know them personally?

Zurbaran1
11-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Is there another kind of personally? :confused:

xreynoldsxcorex
11-16-2007, 11:59 PM
I got mine on 360 and it is a lot of fun. Screw reviews, fun is fun.
The only thing I would worry about is the "white screen of death", clipping, and low frame rate on the ps3.

noseeb13
11-17-2007, 03:47 AM

Like I have met a few of these reviewers in person to do interviews at different press events both private and at conventions like E3 and Comic Con.

abarron
11-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Got this friday and so for its awesome.
I have played for about 8 hours over the weekend and have only done 2 assaissination mission so far. Spent loads of time exploring the cities.
I have had it crash once already though and had to re-set the PS3 and i aren't too keen on the present day stuff but other than that its awesome.
I love running across the roof tops and climbing the buildings

noseeb13
11-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Got this friday and so for its awesome.
I have played for about 8 hours over the weekend and have only done 2 assaissination mission so far. Spent loads of time exploring the cities.
I have had it crash once already though and had to re-set the PS3 and i aren't too keen on the present day stuff but other than that its awesome.
I love running across the roof tops and climbing the buildings

I'm about where you are and have had it crash twice now. Once viewing my map and once after the second assassination, the girl in the lab was invisible talking to me and it wouldn't let me start the next mission :banghead:

adee
11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
I haven't really played enough to give an honest review, but so far I am enjoying it. The beginning is a little repetitive and I hope it isn't like that through the whole game, but the graphics are great and the freedom is really cool. I'll post again after I have invested a little more time.

HelloKinky
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Is there another kind of personally? :confused:

Well yeah, of course, the kind you exaggerate about. Like I might meet you in person once by just walking by seeing you sitting somewhere and say I know you personally but we see that Noseeb has interviewed them. So that's why I had to ask.

Brru
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Well yeah, of course, the kind you exaggerate about. Like I might meet you in person once by just walking by seeing you sitting somewhere and say I know you personally but we see that Noseeb has interviewed them. So that's why I had to ask.

Does that count on the forum. I know a LOT of people personally then heh. Seriously though, I wouldn't say I know someone personally unless Ive helped them shake off or
something like that.

And about Assassins Creed. This game is awesome to play. I kind of think of it as Prince of Persia meets Need for Speed Underground. Cause you can run around climbing stuff, but if you run into a cop while doing 90 you are just gonna get in trouble. There are a lot of missions to do and yea they can be redundant, but they make it so you can have multiple aspects towards one target. So you could effectively only take 3 missions this time and 3 different ones another time around. Or you can try to unlock things and do all the stuff when you have a chance. It seems choices are what the developer wanted to give the player. Some of it works really well and some of it doesn't. Just like any game, but I do think its worth the 60 bucks.

Sgt Taz
11-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Ass. Creed rules :buttrock:

Beat it yesterday and got all the achievements except the flags and templars...for now ;)

HelloKinky
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
That's pretty quick? Wow!

Sgt Taz
11-19-2007, 10:03 PM
That's pretty quick? Wow!Yeah well I did put in some hours :D

Just got all the assassin flags :thumbs2:

Colossal
11-20-2007, 03:54 AM
Taz, how long do you reckon it took to complete?

Thats my only worry, that it seems a little too easy once you get the countering system down, I feel like Im breezing through it, so making sure I do all the save the citizens and view points etc as I go along.

IGN suck, no way does this game deserve anything less than a 9, at least! Ive never been so impressed with so many different elements of a game, the combat, the free running, crowd reactions.

There are a few tiny niggles, especially the repetition of voice work when you save a civilian, but its easily understandable when the game encompasses so much!

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 04:11 AM
Taz, how long do you reckon it took to complete?

IGN suck, no way does this game deserve anything less than a 9, at least! Ive never been so impressed with so many different elements of a game, the combat, the free running, crowd reactions.I would say about 20hrs - without the flags & templars.

You are totaly right about ign, usualy there reviews are dead on but this time something obviously went wrong. This game is pure art in every aspect and deserves at least a 9 :thumbs2:

Brru
11-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I was actually having a hard time setting it down this weekend, but I have a Chem Test Wed. and then my Phy test Thurs. So I wont be playing until at least Friday...

And congrats on winning AND collecting flags man. I think Im just shy of halfway through the game and I dont think I have anywhere near the full amount of flags. Are some seriously hidden in places that are tricky to get to?

HelloKinky
11-20-2007, 02:26 PM
You gotta collect stuff in that game? Snore.

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 06:02 PM
And congrats on winning AND collecting flags man. I think Im just shy of halfway through the game and I dont think I have anywhere near the full amount of flags. Are some seriously hidden in places that are tricky to get to?I'm pretty sure you'll never find them all (hundreds!) without a map at your disposal. That's why I deliberatly avoided taking any flags until I beat the game. Now I can easely go back for the flags with a map whereas if you have already taken flags you will not be sure of wich ones you have already and might spend more time searching than necesary.

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
You gotta collect stuff in that game? Snore.You dont "gotta" - you can'a :)

So far I dont think they give you anything other than achievements but if you beat the game you still have a memory block that you can fill with the flag and templar objectives. Who knows maybe a secret ending if you fill up that last memory block?

HelloKinky
11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
A map like from the game or a strategy guide? That seems like a lot to go around looking for without one.

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 06:49 PM
A map like from the game or a strategy guide? That seems like a lot to go around looking for without one.You bet that's a lot to find without a map. Just google "assassins creed flag map" and you'll find em. Print and off you go :)

HelloKinky
11-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Sweet. How many hours would you say you put into it total to just beat the game even with messing around in the towns?

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Sweet. How many hours would you say you put into it total to just beat the game even with messing around in the towns?What do you mean with messing around in towns? I just did all the objectives (pickpocket, eavesdrop, rescue civies, interogation and high points) but nothing more. Meaning I didnt just wander around randomly starting fights or needlesly cruise around in the kingdom. Just the bare necesities for the achievements (apart from the flags and templars at wich I'm working now) and I would say it took me about 20 hours.

The flags and templars are still worth the continued play though. Like I said this game is too fun to stop playing just because you did the main objectives and besides, you never know what you might get if you complete all memory blocks. Also, I discovered a few things I didnt while playing the game before. Like that a horse will kick your oponents in a fight (when your dismounted) and that not only can an oponent kick down on you when on a ladder but you can pull him off also. Also went by a small marina that I didnt see before as I didnt spend any time in the kingdom.

Colossal
11-21-2007, 06:54 AM
20 hrs is more than enough for a game of this caliber, I mean I was in love with the Stranglehold demo, then found out it was a 6 hr game and decided Ill rent it when I have finished my other games.

About half way through or just over (on the part with a hit job in every city), and am still blown away. With every successful mission, you get more skills, so combat actually gets better all the time, which is fantastic!

As I said before, I was worried about the combat system as early vids seemed like it was lacking, but its glorious and really makes you look like a total badass during play once you get the feel for the system.

Came in late to work because I couldnt put it down this morning! And like Taz, Ive started collecting everything I see and taking on every side objective before the main event - its just so compelling and beautiful while you play.

abarron
11-21-2007, 07:06 AM
The combat took a little for me to get used to and i did die quite a bit trying to save civilians.
But now i have progressed a little and have my counters i am doing ok

Sgt Taz
11-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah once you have the counters your king of the hill :cool:

By the end of this weekend I'll probably have all flags and templars...wich is kinda sad because I wont have any reason to play it anymore (and it's such an awesome game). Oh well, still have Cod4, Halo3, Orange box and in a few days Mass effect to play.

Davidian
11-21-2007, 10:54 AM
This game looks so bad ass! I hope to pick it up when I get my 360. :buttrock:

HelloKinky
11-21-2007, 02:00 PM
What do you mean with messing around in towns? I just did all the objectives (pickpocket, eavesdrop, rescue civies, interogation and high points) but nothing more. Meaning I didnt just wander around randomly starting fights or needlesly cruise around in the kingdom. Just the bare necesities for the achievements (apart from the flags and templars at wich I'm working now) and I would say it took me about 20 hours.

The flags and templars are still worth the continued play though. Like I said this game is too fun to stop playing just because you did the main objectives and besides, you never know what you might get if you complete all memory blocks. Also, I discovered a few things I didnt while playing the game before. Like that a horse will kick your oponents in a fight (when your dismounted) and that not only can an oponent kick down on you when on a ladder but you can pull him off also. Also went by a small marina that I didnt see before as I didnt spend any time in the kingdom.

Well I was just taking into account that most people tend to mess around in the city that's why I asked for an estimate but if that's what it is when you just go straight through it, then it would even be longer for the casual gamer.

Wow a job and 2 kids? And no sleep? I see you got your priorities straight :D

Spatial.Archite
11-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Just thought I'd chime in, I love this game! I haven't made it that far yet -- three assassinations down -- but I'm doing quite a bit of roaming about the cities as well; they're just gorgeous. I fear that I may end up playing Assassin's Creed through a good portion of Thanksgiving (which doesn't bother me, but it might not go over so well with everyone else).

logan25
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Been waiting for this game for ages and a week before its released my xbox dies, Gutted :(

CA35
11-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Just started playing. Will see how it goes.

J Storm
12-10-2007, 11:57 PM
This game is hot!!! The only bad is the controls but the graphics & story is great. I love walking up behind people and stabbing them silently :buttrock:

AsOneDead
12-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Just finished the game and I'm really disappointed that it doesn't have an ending, we're going to have to wait for another 5 years for the second one :banghead:

Severus Snape
12-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Game looks good

Sgt Taz
12-11-2007, 03:10 AM
The only bad is the controls but the graphics & story is great.Funny I found the controls being the best thing about it, even above the graphics :peoples:

Just finished the game and I'm really disappointed that it doesn't have an ending, we're going to have to wait for another 5 years for the second one :banghead:What do you mean no ending? You kill the big bad guy in the end dont you? What more ending do you expect?

Red X
12-11-2007, 03:42 AM
This game is hot!!! The only bad is the controls but the graphics & story is great. I love walking up behind people and stabbing them silently :buttrock:

I heard controls were good but honestly. You can't have a game with awesome graphics and terrible controls...controls can hinder and ruin even the best looking games...they are that important.

AsOneDead
12-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Funny I found the controls being the best thing about it, even above the graphics :peoples:

What do you mean no ending? You kill the big bad guy in the end dont you? What more ending do you expect?

What game were you playing? Desmond is still stuck in the abstergo lab, you see those markings in the lab and Lucy is an assassin and it just ends there.

noseeb13
12-11-2007, 02:42 PM
What game were you playing? Desmond is still stuck in the abstergo lab, you see those markings in the lab and Lucy is an assassin and it just ends there.

You can use your eagle vision in your bed room as well at the end of the game for some extra stuff.
But true there is no definitive ending....yet.
I heard this is going to be a trilogy.

Sgt Taz
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
What game were you playing? Desmond is still stuck in the abstergo lab, you see those markings in the lab and Lucy is an assassin and it just ends there.Assassins creed :)

It's not because you get something extra after the ending that the ending itself was bad. You killed the big bad guy, that's the ending of Assassins creed part one. The lab plot is just the base for the trilogy and gives you a hint to the next chapter (after you beat the game).

Here's how Gabe over at penny-arcade put it:

It was an extremely satisfying ending to this chapter of the game. Chapter is the important word here. This is a huge story, probably a trilogy at least. The game does end with a cliff hanger and it certainly sets up the rest of the arc but that's how the first part of any multi part story ends. If Star Wars had ended with Luke jumping into his X-Wing to go take on the Death Star that would be a ****ty ****ing ending. It doesn't though, Luke destroys it and then we get hints about what's in store for our heroes. I'm telling you right now Altair destroys his Death Star.