PDA

View Full Version : Fred Claus

protector2814
11-11-2007, 06:24 PM
So I take my kids to the movies today and they all wanna see this Fred Claus. You know, the movie that's being slammed by the crtics in this weekend's papers. After sitting through this Summer's Daddy DayCamp, I feel that I can take any poorly reviewed movie, so we head out.
This is a great freakin' Christmas movie! I was completely caught off guard. Adult laughs wrapped in a family-friendly flick. 3 Academy Award winners are cast members. The other principles all have impressive/comedic movies under their belts. The story, for a x-mas movie was about the most original I've seen in years. There were some fantastic laughs. The sets were the best I've seen in a Santa film. The elves were not children (which is such a plus in my book). They wearn't even the usual collection of little people Hollywood drags out this time of year; they actually and genuinely looked like N. Pole Elves would/should look.
Paul Giammatti is the best Santa Clause I may have ever seen. His voice and demeanor are so well acted, even his weary breathing is funny. He's a real pleasure to just watch. Keven Spacy plays the role of the 'bad-guy' so much better than he played Lex Luther. Vince Vaugn plays the same guy he always plays, but I haven't seen him this dead-on since Wedding Crashers. Kathy Bates, Rachel Weiss, the hot girl from Scrubs and 40 Year Old Virgin, and more you'll recognize, round out the players.
I simply don't get why this movie's getting mixed reviews. Sure, it has some familiar themes (but don't all Holiday movies?) but Fred Claus is fresh and funny and I have never seen this quality a cast in a X-mas, family film. I went expecting to nap and came out feeling very Happy to have shared a great movie w/ my kids.

GammaPro
11-12-2007, 04:26 AM
So I take my kids to the movies today and they all wanna see this Fred Claus. You know, the movie that's being slammed by the crtics in this weekend's papers. After sitting through this Summer's Daddy DayCamp, I feel that I can take any poorly reviewed movie, so we head out.
This is a great freakin' Christmas movie! I was completely caught off guard. Adult laughs wrapped in a family-friendly flick. 3 Academy Award winners are cast members. The other principles all have impressive/comedic movies under their belts. The story, for a x-mas movie was about the most original I've seen in years. There were some fantastic laughs. The sets were the best I've seen in a Santa film. The elves were not children (which is such a plus in my book). They wearn't even the usual collection of little people Hollywood drags out this time of year; they actually and genuinely looked like N. Pole Elves would/should look.
Paul Giammatti is the best Santa Clause I may have ever seen. His voice and demeanor are so well acted, even his weary breathing is funny. He's a real pleasure to just watch. Keven Spacy plays the role of the 'bad-guy' so much better than he played Lex Luther. Vince Vaugn plays the same guy he always plays, but I haven't seen him this dead-on since Wedding Crashers. Kathy Bates, Rachel Weiss, the hot girl from Scrubs and 40 Year Old Virgin, and more you'll recognize, round out the players.
I simply don't get why this movie's getting mixed reviews. Sure, it has some familiar themes (but don't all Holiday movies?) but Fred Claus is fresh and funny and I have never seen this quality a cast in a X-mas, family film. I went expecting to nap and came out feeling very Happy to have shared a great movie w/ my kids.

I agree with just about everything you just said. best Christmas movie since "A Christmas Story".

Loved it so much, I think when I bring the kids to DisnyWorld in a few weeks, we'll go to the AMC theatre at Downtown Disney and see it a second time.

Brru
11-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Im gonna have to go see this in theaters just to give them a boost in the box office. Everything Ive read from the real world says this movie is great. Everything Ive heard from the critics is that it sucks. I wonder which one Ill listen to, real people that spent money to see it, or people with a degree in generic that get paid to say things.

Alex655321
11-12-2007, 08:14 AM
hmmmmmm....I was going to pass buy maybe me and my girl will have to check this out.

As good as Chrismas Story WOW!

bat_collector
11-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I heard it sucks by critics, but my friends loved it. Maybe I'll see it.

protector2814
11-12-2007, 10:47 AM
hmmmmmm....I was going to pass buy maybe me and my girl will have to check this out.

This would make a wonderful date-movie. You really should take her. So much fun is this movie, you can't go wrong.

rilynil
11-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree with just about everything you just said. best Christmas movie since "A Christmas Story".
Wow, that's big praise! I was dismissing the movie simply because the previews didn't grab me.

Alex655321
11-12-2007, 11:46 AM
This would make a wonderful date-movie. You really should take her. So much fun is this movie, you can't go wrong.

Done deal, I will take her this weekend :thumbs2:

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Darth Torment
11-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I'll check this out with the wife too..love Vaughn and Giamatti, so lets see how it is! :)

Sniper
11-12-2007, 02:09 PM

I dont think you have to pay admission for your
pam grier resin kit... you may look a little strange sitting there with an unpainted kit, maybe saul can put a rush paint job before you take her out in public.:)

geto10
11-12-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm gonna give it a go. :)

HelloKinky
11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I heard it sucks by critics, but my friends loved it. Maybe I'll see it.

Haha you seem like you're always swayed by what your friend does or has.

I thought this movie looked pretty funny I mean how bad could it really be right?!

Teague
11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Good news! My daughters both want to see this, based on the many commercials they've seen (both on TV and in movie previews). I was afraid it was going to suck, too. Glad to hear it's worth seeing! :thumbs2:

MrYac
11-12-2007, 06:07 PM

well if they added in some heavy handed side story about the pole metling due to america over polluting or if the Elves went on strike until Santa started calling it "holliday day" instead of Christmas i'm sure it would've gotten more critical acclaime;)

protector2814
11-12-2007, 07:08 PM
well if they added in some heavy handed side story about the pole metling due to america over polluting or if the Elves went on strike until Santa started calling it "holliday day" instead of Christmas i'm sure it would've gotten more critical acclaime;)

LOL
Sad thing about your post is I'm almost positive I've suffered through something along those lines in the past. Made for TV Christmas films always blow. "Tonight on a very special Lifetime movie Ed Asner plays a grumpy GrandPa who finds the true meaning of Xmas after his daughter's canning plant secures North Pole fishing rights. Also starring Richard Thomas and MaryLou Henner"