PDA

View Full Version : Lowest grade of comic you'd buy?

furie
02-08-2005, 03:46 AM
What is the lowest grade of a comic you would buy?

insomniac
02-08-2005, 03:55 AM
It depends on the book. Modern comics have to be NM. Bronze age I like in VF or better. Silver age I prefer in VF or better but sometimes with expensive key issue I have settle for lower grades. Also, occasionally you come across some really good deals for some lower grade Silver books that can't be passed up.

furie
02-08-2005, 04:04 AM
And do you read older books or just bag em?

Bartman256
02-08-2005, 08:25 AM
It depends on the book. Modern comics have to be NM. Bronze age I like in VF or better. Silver age I prefer in VF or better but sometimes with expensive key issue I have settle for lower grades. Also, occasionally you come across some really good deals for some lower grade Silver books that can't be passed up.

Agreed.

I purchased about a year ago a GOOD copy of Journey into Mystery 83 (1st Thor) to finish my "run" on key books/1st appearances. I sent it to CGC & it received a GOOD 2.0 blue label.
Modern has to be NM/M. I will not go lower than F/VF on Bronze.
Silver, depending on the price of the book. I also own a GOOD copy of Hulk 6 just to finish my Hulk run (1-6). Sent that in & got a GOOD 2.0 from the CGC.

Those are the only two (2.0 GOOD) & lowest graded books I own.

You buy what you can afford...I really wanted to complete most Marvel titles & did so within my means. I have a CGC 4.5 X-Men 1 & a CGC 4.0 Fantastic Four 1. To be honest, a strict VERY GOOD is a nice book.

hillis3
02-08-2005, 11:06 AM
As far as grading I agree with Insomniac.

When I get older books I do read them and then I bag, board, and file them. Not to get into pros and cons for GCG but this is why I personally do not like CGC. If I cannot read a book I buy then to me I am losing most of the fun.

DDura711
02-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I have a POOR Amazing Spider-Man #1, but I got it for only $183.50 and couldn't pass up the chance to get mine.

Car50n
02-08-2005, 04:39 PM
for me the determining factor is price. i have 2 X-men #1's one poor, one VG. i've flipped through both and carry around the poor all the time. and went actually went thru it today. if the price is right and it's a cool book, why not. i have complete Unc.X-Men most are VG to NM. i've probably flipped thru or read every one of them. including my VF and NM silver-age ones.

Sam Wilson
02-08-2005, 04:49 PM
I bought a VG+ copy of Silver Surfer #4 (the Thor Cover), It was a good price. For silver age I like to keep fn+ or better, but if you're buying a book off of ebay you pretty much have to buy it cgc or there is no guarantee on the condition. And if you buy it from a store, everyone seems to have there own grading system and pricing. Silver age books (at least marvel ones) in high grade are few and far between, so I guess that's why (at least that's the way it seems to me) the market is so inconsistant on them (well, it is consistant for the fact that the prices are always high on sliver age high grade books).

Jack8022
02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
I try to stick to VG as the lowest.