PDA

View Full Version : my brilliant music DVDs

joy_division
11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Got two awesome dvds today.

The first is the LONG awaited Nirvana Unplugged DVD. I think this is how I will always remember Nirvana and it was their finest hour. it's great to finally own it officially on DVD with loads of extras. I can listen the the man who sold the world and where did you sleep last last forever!

Second up is maybe one that is not too familiar with some of you - Sigur Ros' new film Heima. The Icelandic group returned home last year and played a series of free, unannounced concerts all over their homeland and this film documents their journey. I got the deluxe version which is packaged beutifully in a slipcase with a 104 page booklet of photos from the trip and includes a bonus dvd of full coverage of the songs included in the film

heima (http://www.heima.co.uk/)

joy_division
11-20-2007, 03:39 PM
watched the Nirvana Unplugged broadcast in its entirety and it was brilliant. One of the extras included, is the original MTV version and after seeing the unedited version, you wonder how you watched the edited version in the first place.

Included the two extra songs, there is over twenty minutes of extra footage - including an excellent, if short, take on sweet home alabama.

Nirvana proved on that night that they can sing anything, anystyle and make it work. Most of the songs they sang that night (five covers)were probably unfamiliar to the people sitting there and at home, but IMO, those songs - plateau, man who sold the world, where did you sleep last night - were the best of the night

CocoPUFF
11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
watched the Nirvana Unplugged broadcast in its entirety and it was brilliant. One of the extras included, is the original MTV version and after seeing the unedited version, you wonder how you watched the edited version in the first place.

Included the two extra songs, there is over twenty minutes of extra footage - including an excellent, if short, take on sweet home alabama.

Nirvana proved on that night that they can sing anything, anystyle and make it work. Most of the songs they sang that night (five covers)were probably unfamiliar to the people sitting there and at home, but IMO, those songs - plateau, man who sold the world, where did you sleep last night - were the best of the night

I have to agree with you on this. I was a huge NIRVANA fan. Their abiblity to cover those songs and make them in most cases "better" than the original is the whole idea of a cover. Alot of these hacked up covers by bands who make them sound EXACTLY like the original, makes the song no fun to listen to. A cover is supposed to be YOUR version of the song. Its your chance to interpret the song in your form of music, and possibly IMPROVE on the song in the process. NIRVANA proved that they are Excellent at this. Another great cover band is METALLICA. Thier covers are by far the best interpretations of alot of songs out there!

joy_division
11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
it's sooo creepy looking back on it though, knowing what happened months after. The lilies and candles set which Kurt had asked for personally. Even down to the last song - leadbelly's where did you sleep last night . All can be linked to the passing away of Kurt.

It really was as if he was saying goodbye

CocoPUFF
11-20-2007, 04:00 PM
it's sooo creepy looking back on it though, knowing what happened months after. The lilies and candles set which Kurt had asked for personally. Even down to the last song - leadbelly's where did you sleep last night . All can be linked to the passing away of Kurt.

It really was as if he was saying goodbye

you know, I never noticed any of those things...nowI'll have to get the DVD and see what you mean.