PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect is here.

snappahead
11-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Just picked this up and played it for a little while. It's pretty dang cool. The conversation trees are awesome and the voice acting is impressive. The games great looking for the most part, but does have some bugs here and there. I just started and haven't figured out what I'm doing exactly, but so far, I'm pretty impressed with it.

The amount of info and data on every single thing is amazing. I can tell this'll be a game that takes some time to really figure out. I'm not the most patient gamer in the world...I have no patience actually LOL, but when it's high quality like this, I'll make an exception.

CocoPUFF
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
thought about getting THIS or assasins creed. Which would you reccommend?

HelloKinky
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I love these kinds of games! KOTOR was like the best one ever! And this is even bigger and better it will take a long time to beat this and it's a game you don't want to rush either!

By the way this is an RPG if you know what that is, and Assassin's Creed is more of action/stealth. So that alone should tell you something. Go to IGN or Gamespot and watch some videos.

snappahead
11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, AC and ME are very different games. The gameplay in ME is very similar to Ghost Recon or even a bit like Gears of War. Just add a huge story and lots of rpg elements to them. I haven't played AC yet, but from what I've seen, it's kinda like the Prince of Persia games, but way more ambitious and it has a sandbox (free roam) element. Obviously, I chose ME, but I can easily understand why someone would prefer AC. Tough call.

CocoPUFF
11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
I love RPGs! Diablo II is my favorite one, and I enjoyed KOTOR as well. hmmmmmm ...decisions decisions...

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Go to IGN or Gamespot and watch some videos.Yeah go there for movies but not for the reviews, at least not on ign. Usualy there reviews are dead on but they sorely dropped the ball on Assassins creed. It rules and deserves an equal score as Mass effect - though both are totaly different games. Personaly I'd go for both.

HelloKinky
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah I just speak to watch trailers and gameplay elements. And if you liked Diablo and KOTOR this is a must. I can see getting this over AC just cause Taz beat it so fast I'm want something with a little more substance right now :)

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 06:53 PM
I didnt beat it that fast, 20+ hours and still have to find all the flags. I guess it's a little on the short side but dont let that stop you. I think this is a must have game and the flags add some length. It's not like it's a chore finding them. It plays so fun I enjoy getting them all :)

HelloKinky
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Well then that makes all the difference! 20 hours is plenty. You must have a lot of time on your hands then if that's what you do!

Sgt Taz
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Well then that makes all the difference! 20 hours is plenty. You must have a lot of time on your hands then if that's what you do!Actualy I dont. With 2 kids and a full time job I just sacrifice sleep :thumbs2:

thecallahan
11-21-2007, 10:02 AM
If you want a good review of Assassin's Creed, read Gabe's review over at Penny Arcade, I think his is the best one out there actually.

As for this game, it's great so far! There're some quirks like Snappahead said but it's really in depth. Like CRAZY in depth. I'm at the Citadel after the first mission and before going before the council I'm exploring and talking to everything and I was going for almost 30 minutes or so and still wasn't finished exploring.

My favorite race though is the big lumbering sloth like aliens that say whatever emotion or inflection their next sentence is going to be, it cracks me up every time.

Zurbaran1
11-21-2007, 10:29 AM
If you want a good review of Assassin's Creed, read Gabe's review over at Penny Arcade, I think his is the best one out there actually.

As for this game, it's great so far! There're some quirks like Snappahead said but it's really in depth. Like CRAZY in depth. I'm at the Citadel after the first mission and before going before the council I'm exploring and talking to everything and I was going for almost 30 minutes or so and still wasn't finished exploring.

My favorite race though is the big lumbering sloth like aliens that say whatever emotion or inflection their next sentence is going to be, it cracks me up every time.

Actually, I beat you to it. I posted that very review in one of the Assassins Creed threads. It was interesting how he spoke about the negative reviews. Look at post #71 in this thread: Assassin's Creed (http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=58382&page=8)

HelloKinky
11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Uh yeah this is the Mass Effect thread people?!

thecallahan
11-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Hence the reason I talked about it.

HelloKinky
11-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I know I just didn't want it to just stem into it you know? Gotta stop it before it's starts.

And like most of you I love the dialogue trees, so much fun just thinking of wha to choose, I like to just mess around. I can never take it seriously much like I always became bad in KOTOR.

blue_rogue
11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
I decided to get the limited edition of Mass Effect, which had to be ordered online, so I'm going to have to wait a few more days.

I never buy limited/collectors editions of video games. I couldn't care less about how the game was made and stuff like that. But there's just something about this game that made me want to have all of the extras I could get. I saw there's even a limited edition strategy guide, that comes with a hardcover art book, that I'll have to get too. :banghead:

Sgt Taz
11-23-2007, 11:43 AM
thought about getting THIS or assasins creed. Which would you reccommend?Got mine today. Keep in mind I only played for about half an hour so I didnt see or do anything yet but if I were able to buy just one game it would be Assassins creed over this (so far).

Sgt Taz
11-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Over an hour further in the game I'm apreciating it more. It's obvious this game is deep and immersing eventhough you have to stick with it through the first hour.

DSET
11-25-2007, 02:51 PM
played this for an hour

Freaking awesome, these are the type of games ive been waiting for

wont be able to play it until christmas break
-oh well

Argonus
11-26-2007, 05:07 AM
Gah.. I love this game so far, with what little time I have to play it.. however...

As of my last play session, my character can't swap out/equip any other weapon besides an assault rifle (that he doesn't have equipped to begin with). His class doesn't even specialize in assault rifles, although that's irrelevant. :) Crazy bug, my bro-in-laws who also play say they haven't experienced any bugs yet.. guess I'm just "lucky". :D

Anyways... only a few hours into it, and since I know how to play now, shouldn't take long to get there again if I start over. Besides that, the game is superb.

chromesamurai
12-07-2007, 12:40 AM
About halfway through it at the moment.

I love this game!

Sgt Taz
12-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Finished it wednesday. You have to finish it 3 times if you want all the achievements. Two times I am willing to but three is a little much :confused2

Colossal
12-07-2007, 05:32 AM
At the moment it does seem a poor choice to not allow you to access certain weapons (even from a limited level) depending on your class type. I mean, using a weapon without sight in this game is going to get you dead, a lot!

Having said that, so far its great, although the more I go into it, the more the side missions seem to look exactly the same, as in its the same rooms with different layouts of boxes and enemies? Is it just me?

Rather than progress the story, Im trying to do all the current side missions to bulk up my level as I go, and its turning out to be a blast, nothing REALLY negative to say about the game, especially as its an RPG type that Ive actually bought, and I never get invested in them!

RichBamf
12-07-2007, 07:20 AM
How does the battle system work?

Is it much the same as KOTOR, or is it live battle?

Sgt Taz
12-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Is it much the same as KOTOR, or is it live battle?All the shooting and grenade throwing and stuff like that is live. Only when you want to use a special power the game pauses while you are selecting wich one to use.