PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good sound receiver!?

Red X
11-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I've been looking for a receiver ever since I broke my my last one which was a tuner/receiver/ and 6 cd changer built in one, it's a long story...But anyway I found this one online and I am wondering is this a good one?

I don't need anything fancy just something to run my movies and video games in surround sound, I have the speakers from the last one, now just need a decent receiver...I'm pretty technically savvy but I wanted to get all the technical junkies opinions on here before I bite:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-STR-DG510-5-1-Channel-Receiver-STR-DG510/sem/rpsm/oid/176878/catOid/-12851/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Thanks.

spider-man
11-24-2007, 09:05 PM
looks fine , it's got hdmi and optical .

cma3
11-25-2007, 12:56 AM
looks fine , it's got hdmi and optical .

negative....what it has is HDMI pass through. You will need a separate connection/interface for audio. Hence, not true HDMI. True HDMI passes both audio and video.

steer clear of this receiver. its 179 for a reason...this is just one.

its got more negatives in the specs:

not THX-certified
no Multi-room capability
no Video switching
no HDMI switching
no Video upconversion
not satellite ready
not ipod compatible
no s-video in or out
no universal remote
no on screen display

at 179 this is risky biz. just know before you jump in, because you will get what you pay for here.

boondocksaint
11-25-2007, 12:59 AM
no the ankles are to skinny and the feet look like clown shoes....uhm wait,,,,wrong thread! sorry! lol

Johnneeukca
11-25-2007, 03:33 PM
negative....what it has is HDMI pass through. You will need a separate connection/interface for audio. Hence, not true HDMI. True HDMI passes both audio and video.

steer clear of this receiver. its 179 for a reason...this is just one.

its got more negatives in the specs:

not THX-certified
no Multi-room capability
no Video switching
no HDMI switching
no Video upconversion
not satellite ready
not ipod compatible
no s-video in or out
no universal remote
no on screen display

at 179 this is risky biz. just know before you jump in, because you will get what you pay for here.

You quote this list like some "must have features" list. He said he just wants a decent receiver that does "surround sound" for movies and games. Nothing in the list you've quoted was mentioned as a consideration in Red X's original post. So the receiver he's quoted seems fine for that. Yeah, you do get what you pay for and for 179 he gets a receiver that have 5.1 and will be useful for movies and games.

However, Red X, if you're looking for future-proof your receiver, CMA's on the right track, but you'll need to start considering a bunch of other things into the bargain too. And you'll be looking at a grand for a decent receiver that has those features.

J

Red X
11-25-2007, 08:25 PM
You quote this list like some "must have features" list. He said he just wants a decent receiver that does "surround sound" for movies and games. Nothing in the list you've quoted was mentioned as a consideration in Red X's original post. So the receiver he's quoted seems fine for that. Yeah, you do get what you pay for and for 179 he gets a receiver that have 5.1 and will be useful for movies and games.

However, Red X, if you're looking for future-proof your receiver, CMA's on the right track, but you'll need to start considering a bunch of other things into the bargain too. And you'll be looking at a grand for a decent receiver that has those features.

J

I need nothing fancy, it's for my bedroom so I don't need to be shaking any walls or anything with awesome sound, just good sounding surround, I already have a set of SONY speakers from my old DVD player.

Perhaps I should upgrade to the $300 SONY one?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Receivers-Amplifiers/sem/rpsm/catOid/-12949/Ns/net_price|0||accm_grs_mgn_dllr|1/link/ref/N/20012898+20012949+312949002+40000229/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

cma3
11-25-2007, 11:40 PM

J

They are must-haves, otherwise the idea of a receiver becomes pointless and just another device with blinky lights in your entertainment center. The whole point of a receiver is to, not only enhance your audio, but too also provide a point of convergence for the rest of your devices. Without most of these features, the receiver becomes pointless. One can get all this starting at around $500.

cma3
11-25-2007, 11:43 PM
I need nothing fancy, it's for my bedroom so I don't need to be shaking any walls or anything with awesome sound, just good sounding surround, I already have a set of SONY speakers from my old DVD player.

Perhaps I should upgrade to the $300 SONY one?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Receivers-Amplifiers/sem/rpsm/catOid/-12949/Ns/net_price|0||accm_grs_mgn_dllr|1/link/ref/N/20012898+20012949+312949002+40000229/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

No. I wouldn't.

As Johnneeukca stated, you may be able to get away with the original pick. You have 30 days once purchased. Take for a test drive and see if it fits the bill. Just know that you wont be getting any real features with it.

Red X
11-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Well I have these surround sound speakers and nothing to run the sound on them being that my old DVD player broke...so that's the only reason I need one.

It was a 6 cd changer SONY, that had a tuner and receiver built in...but it busted...

galactus
11-26-2007, 02:08 AM
If you honestly just want a no frills 5.1 surround receiver, it looks like this will take care of that without a problem. Given the limited capacity of the speakers you have (Sony speakers aren't the best), it probably wouldn't pay to get anything better anyway.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 04:12 AM
no the ankles are to skinny and the feet look like clown shoes....uhm wait,,,,wrong thread! sorry! lol

lol :laugh:

Bullseye
11-26-2007, 06:12 AM
THX certified amp for $179? Is there such a thing?:peoples:

cblakey1
11-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Personally, I wouldn't take a Sony if it were given to me.

HalJordanFan
11-26-2007, 09:39 AM
While I agree with what CMA was saying. He said it wrong. He's trying to tell you what he thinks you need to be current. However reading what you're doing with your equipment nothing that fazncy is needed.

Take a look at this reciever. It's more in the middle of the road.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258501&st=harmon+kardon&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1170289629617

cma3
11-26-2007, 11:21 AM
While I agree with what CMA was saying. He said it wrong. He's trying to tell you what he thinks you need to be current. However reading what you're doing with your equipment nothing that fazncy is needed.

Take a look at this reciever. It's more in the middle of the road.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258501&st=harmon+kardon&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1170289629617

Read my 3rd post. :)

Bullseye
11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
The problem is the guy has a budget which he needs to stick to. Unfortunately your not going to be up to date with a $200 system.