PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott: AVP films destroys chance of Alien 5

joy_division
11-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I read this on TV digital text but can't find it on the web.

the director of the original Alien film has commented that because of the AVP franchise, it has made it not possible for there to be an Alien 5 film.

if I remember correctly, Alien 5 was going to be about Ripley going back to earth to combat the aliens taking over the world

snappahead
11-25-2007, 02:30 PM
If this is true..this would be a travesty.

Gruson
11-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I read this on TV digital text but can't find it on the web.

the director of the original Alien film has commented that because of the AVP franchise, it has made it not possible for there to be an Alien 5 film.

if I remember correctly, Alien 5 was going to be about Ripley going back to earth to combat the aliens taking over the world

That was going to be Alien 3....before it went to hell. There is even a teaser showing it.

Trilogy
11-25-2007, 03:55 PM
I don`t see how AVP stops Alien 5 being produced.

joy_division
11-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I think because the AVP films will distort the timeline

Juggernaut
11-25-2007, 04:31 PM
The AVP's movie's can they not just be out of the Alien movie's timeline and be two seperate movie lines?

bat_collector
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
that sucks

Exar Kun
11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
:banghead: :banghead:

Damn!

Trilogy
11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
I think because the AVP films will distort the timeline

I think they should look upon them as individual franchises.

If they can go ahead and make Alien Resurrection after Ripley dies, I don`t see any reason why they can`t milk it one more time with Alien 5.

Red X
11-25-2007, 07:06 PM
AVP is not canon! I'd much rather have an Alien 5, to property end the alien franchise, 3 and 4 (resurrection) were bad.

Raven1014
11-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Why would another set of films, in this case the AVPs, be a reason for not being able to make Alien 5? It's not like movie franchises get re-done all over the place. Batman Begins just restarted the franchise and skipped over the previous films. Superman Returns seems to take place after Superman II and completely ignored all the other crappy films.The Halloween franchise is all over the place and people still go to see them.

There is no reason they couldn't make Alien 5 the way they want. Even if it confused some people, they are probably the same ones that can't keep track of characters in a 90 minute movie and are always asking there neighbor who each character is.

Justin
11-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Why would another set of films, in this case the AVPs, be a reason for not being able to make Alien 5? It's not like movie franchises get re-done all over the place. Batman Begins just restarted the franchise and skipped over the previous films. Superman Returns seems to take place after Superman II and completely ignored all the other crappy films.The Halloween franchise is all over the place and people still go to see them.

There is no reason they couldn't make Alien 5 the way they want. Even if it confused some people, they are probably the same ones that can't keep track of characters in a 90 minute movie and are always asking there neighbor who each character is.

I agree 100% IMO there is no reason not to make Alien 5, This just sounds like a cop out to me :thumbsdow

Gruson
11-25-2007, 09:48 PM
FYI,

Here is the original teaser for Alien3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYS_XmPOYuc

Imagine Aliens on Earth....damn.

I believe even Cameron or Scott was on board at one point.

Justin
11-25-2007, 10:02 PM
FYI,

thanks for the awesome link Gruson :thumbs2:

bat_collector
11-25-2007, 10:04 PM
great link gruson

pdashnut12
11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Werent the alien movies set in the future? If they were, then it wouldnt matter what the avp movies did now would it?

Gruson
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
great link gruson

Yeah,

I remember seeing that teaser for the first time...talk about excitement!

Almost as good as the T2 teaser. Well, not really but still awesome.

:)

AsOneDead
11-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Ridley scott talks too much. All he has been doing of late is b!tching about films.

CessnaDriver
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Aliens was the last real Alien movie for me.
III and IV were just awful movies.
Killing off Newt and Hicks was the most idiotic decision made in any franchise.

This AVP stuff is comic book only stuff to me,
and certainly third tier material for film.

I don't blame Scott, it's damaged goods now.

armitage
11-25-2007, 11:31 PM
AVP was not a good film.
I doubt AVP 2 is going to be any better.
Alien 3 was OK but nothing to write home about.
4 was horrible.
I think a 5th installment of Alien would be cool if it were set on Earth and done in the spirit of the first 2 films.

cap70
11-25-2007, 11:40 PM

That's exactly how I feel.

MiamiLoco
11-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Well you can thank Weaver for that, once she became a producer for the film, she wanted ONLY for Ripley to come back.

bat_collector
11-26-2007, 12:14 AM
I like any movies with the aliens in them, no not all are great films, but I like em

CessnaDriver
11-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Well you can thank Weaver for that, once she became a producer for the film, she wanted ONLY for Ripley to come back.

Yep.

They should have dumped her and handed it all over to Newt!

So many questions, who were the space jockeys race? what were they doing? what is the aliens home world like?

Lots of good stuff they could have done.

And who wouldnt want to see the colonial Marines back in action again?

Oh well.

Fuggetaboutit.

risingstar
11-26-2007, 12:17 AM
I liked AVP.
Ressurection wasn't that bad either...

You guys are harsh!

:confused2

Darth Torment
11-26-2007, 12:37 AM
I liked AVP.
Ressurection wasn't that bad either...

You guys are harsh!

:confused2

Ressurection was HORRIBLE in comparision to the first 3...the first 3 were great...4 was just a cookie cutter hollywood crap horror film formula in comparison..I am surprised they didn't have topless teenage girls in it running around to be victims of the aliens.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 03:59 AM

I concur. There really is no reason not to do an A5.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 04:01 AM
FYI,

Thanks for the link.
I don`t remember ever seeing that teaser.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 04:07 AM

This AVP stuff is comic book only stuff to me,
and certainly third tier material for film.

I don't blame Scott, it's damaged goods now.

I thought Alien 3 was still a very good part of the franchise. Alien Resurrection however was not.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Yep.

They should have dumped her and handed it all over to Newt!

So many questions, who were the space jockeys race? what were they doing? what is the aliens home world like?

Lots of good stuff they could have done.

And who wouldnt want to see the colonial Marines back in action again?

Oh well.

Fuggetaboutit.

They should make an Alien 5 as a prequel. Helping to explain some of those unanswered questions.

Although a prequel probably would`nt happen. As there would be no human element in the story.

Exar Kun
11-26-2007, 05:31 AM
They should make an Alien 5 as a prequel. Helping to explain some of those unanswered questions.

Although a prequel probably would`nt happen. As there would be no human element in the story.

That is what I would like to see. Just imagine what could be an alien form a space jockey host. Always wanted to see that:)

AsOneDead
11-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Ressurection was HORRIBLE in comparision to the first 3...the first 3 were great...4 was just a cookie cutter hollywood crap horror film formula in comparison..I am surprised they didn't have topless teenage girls in it running around to be victims of the aliens.

3 is just as bad, if not worser than ressurection.

Bullseye
11-26-2007, 06:16 AM

I really do not understand the hate for Alien 3, Alien 4 sure it just sucked. But Alien 3 was an interesting film. I guess it lacked the element of space and gadgets for the first two films but I certainly wouldn't disregard it. Maybe it would be viewed better as a stand alone movie rather than part of a franchise.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 06:17 AM

:eek: Worse than Resurrection.

Juggernaut
11-26-2007, 07:18 AM
I likes alien 3 the enviroment in alien 3 was great.

I likes the 3rd movie alot not as much as 1 and 2

Alien 3 is definetly a cool movie.

Alien 4 it had some realy cool scenes and that was that.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 07:22 AM
I agree. It was`nt as good as the first two, but still a good movie nonetheless.

Exar Kun
11-26-2007, 08:52 AM
:confused2 and I do not like Aliens that much....(prefer the first one)

joy_division
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
:confused2 and I do not like Aliens that much....(prefer the first one)

I agree. can't see what all the fuss is about with aliens(ok, so the queen is great, but the drones design sucks big time!)

Bullseye
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM
I agree. can't see what all the fuss is about with aliens(ok, so the queen is great, but the drones design sucks big time!)

I thought the warriors were pretty good.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I love the warrior design. :buttrock:

Exar Kun
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I prefer the original, because of the feeling you have during this "huit-clos".

And I also prefer the first alien: biomechanical creature. Origin: unknown and I like the way of reproduction shown in the Director's cut way better.

Aliens: video game feeling and nothing to do with the first one. Something, I don't see when watching Predator 1 and 2 for instance.
In Aliens, the creature is no more than a giant f****** bug.

The movie is good, but I cannot tie it to the first one very well even if it was designed to do it.

joy_division
11-26-2007, 03:02 PM

smooth and sleek is the way to go :cool:

HelloKinky
11-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I thought the warriors were pretty good.

You guys seem to agree on everything you talk about hah.

I liked the smooth designs as well. I didn't think 3 was that bad either, it really felt like the series slowed down for that.

And that teaser was meh I mean sure what could have been but not enough to really show they were going in that direction and had started going with it.

Red X
11-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I think the first Alien film I saw was Resurrection...

HelloKinky
11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Now that's a damn shame haha.

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Now that's a damn shame haha.

:laugh:

Trilogy
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
You guys seem to agree on everything you talk about hah.

What can I say... B has great taste, just like me. ;) lol

nbr3bagshotrow
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Alien, Aliens, and Predator were the only decent movies out of the whole Alien / Predator/ AVP lot.

CessnaDriver
11-26-2007, 05:05 PM
seems to be a pattern,

You get stuff like Dracula and Frankenstein, the big monsters of their day. Scares everyone.

Then Dracula Vs Frankenstien type movies....
Milk it, lots of money to be made.

Then, Abbot and Costello meet Dracula and Frankenstein type stuff!
Really milk it!

Then new creatures appear and make the old stuff look like kid stuff.

HelloKinky
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Funny you mention Abott and Costello like they were thinking of doing the next Freddy/Jason flick to be Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash. Though Raimi said no anymore because he would no longer have control of his character.

CessnaDriver
11-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Funny you mention Abott and Costello like they were thinking of doing the next Freddy/Jason flick to be Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash. Though Raimi said no anymore because he would no longer have control of his character.

Personally I think Ash/Evil Dead is a major class higher then those other two. So hope that doesnt happen. But I would follow Bruce Campbell to hell.

I think we are due for a new creature/monster breakthrough.

Lets face it, we are still dealing with people in suits so to speak.

Two arms, two legs, one head. When they were making ALIEN, I think they tried to avoid that at first, but then were blown away by Gigers painting.

The Thing remake kinda broke new ground a bit.

I just keep thinking the next original creation may be just around the corner.

AsOneDead
11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
The Thing kind of broke new ground? It broke the ground into pieces! Easily one of the best monster movies of all time.

Maybe the next great monster movie is Cloverfield?

CessnaDriver
11-27-2007, 02:11 AM
The Thing kind of broke new ground? It broke the ground into pieces! Easily one of the best monster movies of all time.

Maybe the next great monster movie is Cloverfield?

The thing with The Thing, is we never saw it again.
It kept changing of course, maybe that was a bad thing for establishing an icon, it didnt have a recognizable fixed form like a Predator or Alien to build a marketing legacy on.

Brru
11-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Alien, Aliens, and Predator were the only decent movies out of the whole Alien / Predator/ AVP lot.

I agree

Aliens 3 should have been so much better. What was made sucked IMO because within the first 15 minutes everyone is dead (except ripley....stupid egomaniac) and then the story seemed all chopped together. I couldn't pay attention to well. I think they need to go back and remake the entire line Alien (keep pretty much the same, but updated), aliens (close to the same and updated), Aliens 3 (Completely different on earth, update, etc.), and then forget resurrection ever happened.

And no matter how bad I think Aliens 3 is, I can still sit through it. Resurrection.....I will fall asleep.

AsOneDead
11-27-2007, 05:27 AM
The thing with The Thing, is we never saw it again.
It kept changing of course, maybe that was a bad thing for establishing an icon, it didnt have a recognizable fixed form like a Predator or Alien to build a marketing legacy on.

Quite true. I wonder what it would be like to see alien vs the thing vs predator, the thing would win obviously but it would be quite fun to see this.

joy_division
11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
the Director's cut of alien 3 is much better. you can at least see where he film was going. Blame it on the stuidios, not the director.

As for alien: ressurection, as a film on it's on, it stands ok, but as part of the quadrilogy, it does not

HelloKinky
11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Quite true. I wonder what it would be like to see alien vs the thing vs predator, the thing would win obviously but it would be quite fun to see this.

Not that I would want to see this taken seriously but I think that's a pretty fun idea.

Trilogy
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
the Director's cut of alien 3 is much better.

The DC is definitely the way to watch A3.