PDA

View Full Version : "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"

wktf
12-01-2007, 08:31 PM
This book has been out for a couple of years and is a pretty hysterical exposition about the use of punctuation, how punctuation is mangled today, how misuse of punctuation can radically change the meaning of a sentence even when the same words are used plus general rules for punctuation.

I'm a little bit of a grammar and punctuation stickler, having been a Literature major in college lo those many years ago. My wife bought this book for me shortly after I'd heard the author interviewed on NPR.

Seriously, it had me laughing out loud; however, I can see how it might not be everyone's "cup of tea."

pablocruze
12-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Reminds me of two Benny Hill shows, one with the blonde actress muffing her lines...

"Look, a head in the road!"

Or the sign painter's creative solution to a lack of space for his sign...

Doctor
Smith
The
rapist

:laugh: :laugh:

Babytoxie
12-02-2007, 01:03 AM
My wife is an English teacher, and we both read this book last year. It was a constant source of discussion. Good choice!:thumbs2:

JLM
12-02-2007, 05:07 AM
I've had this book a while and think that it's great. I'm probably more of a punctuation stickler than I used to be.

The author has another book "Talk to the Hand" and manners and politeness, which I mean to buy at some point.

JDH
12-02-2007, 07:17 AM
It should be required reading for internet forum users.:)

wktf
12-02-2007, 04:21 PM
It should be required reading for internet forum users.:)

Her last chapter is devoted primarily to the evolution (or butchering, depending on how you look at it) of punctuation and the English language as a result of internet-speak.

JDH
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Her last chapter is devoted primarily to the evolution (or butchering, depending on how you look at it) of punctuation and the English language as a result of internet-speak.

Tony the Punctuation Tiger says: 'It's Grrrrrrr8!':)